2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Your golf quirks/preferences

6 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:
  • I absolutely LOATHE plastic tees that leave white marks on the bottom of my driver!
  • If legal I would turn every Canada Goose that I see on a golf course into a Christmas Goose. I hate those things. 

YES and YES. Plastic tees are the worst, and I’d like to hit the geese with my old Browning A5.

• Thanks 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I hate having basically anything in my pockets when I play. One tee (that doubles as a pitch mark repair tool) and one small coin. That is it, I hate having my pockets full of stuff. I use a line on my ball to putt, but when teeing off, I prefer to see just all white, so I don't use the line other than on the green. I don't like wearing a glove or a hat when playing. I will if I am in Palm Springs or Phoenix or somewhere really warm and its absolutely needed, but in typical weather, I prefer no hat and no glove. I hate wearing pants to play golf in, I will wear shorts even if its slightly above freezing. I keep pretty warm walking anyway. Some strange habits for sure! 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

23 hours ago, vandyfan said:

-- Have to pace off putts

I don't consider that some OCD quirky type of behavior. I pace them off so I have a mental anchor of distance to hole. Sometimes visually they don't look the distance they actually are. I also think I get a better feel for the pace of the putt (uphill/downhill) if I actually feel it while walking it off. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I hate hats. That's not a golf thing necessarily, but I'm an outlier golf-wise that I don't wear a cap or anything. On the really hot sunny days where I feel like I need it, I've got one visor that I'll wear. But not a hat that covers the top. 

I'm all-in on BOA shoes. I hate tying/untying shoes so almost every pair of laced shoes I own are pre-tied and double-knotted so they don't come undone while I'm just walking. Which means that I usually put them on and take them off while tied, which beats the hell out of the heel. Even dress shoes which I can't pre-tie I still double-knot once they're on so I don't have to retie them during an evening, which means at the end of the day I have to work out that double knot before I can take them off. I wear slip-on shoes for every event that isn't super-dressy (where I can't get away with it) to avoid wearing those shoes. With BOA I don't need to worry about any of that. 

I always have the same things in the same pockets but that's not an OCD thing, it's just the most efficient way to do it. Tee / ball(s) / marker / pitch mark tool all go in the right pocket. I do that because it's easier to dig in there with my right (ungloved) hand than my left. Phone goes into my left. Honestly I would prefer not to carry it (or anything in that pocket), but I use an app for scoring so it has to come out after every hole to input my score. Keys / wallet (which are usually in that left pocket, with phone usually in right pocket when not golfing) go into the bag. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

31 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I don't consider that some OCD quirky type of behavior. I pace them off so I have a mental anchor of distance to hole. Sometimes visually they don't look the distance they actually are. I also think I get a better feel for the pace of the putt (uphill/downhill) if I actually feel it while walking it off. 

Exactly, especially on the first flat 15 footer of the day. That sets the tone for the rest of the round assuming the greens are fairly consistent (most courses I play are consistent). 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm a little OCD about color coordination in my equipment.  In the past, I've absolutely overlooked heads, shafts, etc. because of they color that they are/were, and this transcends the already OCD nature of brand loyalty/aversion.  I generally stick to a color profile that focuses on a lot of black, red, white, silver, gold, etc., which absolutely influences not only the brands, but also the models that are in the bag.

Is there something out there that could be perfect for my game that I refuse to play because of the color?  Sure (it's probably the Aldila green shafts, tbh).  But I've always been able to find something that I can play that fits in with the general scheme of the bag.

I'm also very particular about the number script that is stamped on iron soles.  I love the shape and look of the P7MC, for example, but hate the number script on the soles.  I don't want to be looking at the bag trying to decide between a 7 and 8 iron and all I can think about is how much I don't like the way the numbers look.

I lay myself before the mercy of the court of public opinion.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm a little OCD about color coordination in my equipment.  In the past, I've absolutely overlooked heads, shafts, etc. because of they color that they are/were, and this transcends the already OCD nature of brand loyalty/aversion.  I generally stick to a color profile that focuses on a lot of black, red, white, silver, gold, etc., which absolutely influences not only the brands, but also the models that are in the bag.

Is there something out there that could be perfect for my game that I refuse to play because of the color?  Sure (it's probably the Aldila green shafts, tbh).  But I've always been able to find something that I can play that fits in with the general scheme of the bag.

I'm also very particular about the number script that is stamped on iron soles.  I love the shape and look of the P7MC, for example, but hate the number script on the soles.  I don't want to be looking at the bag trying to decide between a 7 and 8 iron and all I can think about is how much I don't like the way the numbers look.

I lay myself before the mercy of the court of public opinion.

You must get massive anxiety when TM announces a new lineup of drivers/woods! 😄

I do admit that I don't love the blue shaft with my black driver head.  Not the best look but performed best on the trackman (and IRL).

• Like 1

Driver headcover comes off on first hole, and goes on after tee shot on 18. Other headcovers go back on after club is used. I like playing early, and quickly. Prefer to walk, but as I’m getting older, carts are getting used in the heat. Really no unusual preferences or superstition.

20 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I wear two gloves because my bottom hand is my dominant hand but I've never understood why golfer's only wear one glove. 

I fix at least 2 pitch marks on the green even if I didn't hit the green. 

The reason for one glove has always been described this way to me. The top hand (usually non-dominant) you wear the glove on to provide enhanced grip. The bottom (usually dominant) you don't wear a glove because you don't want to lose feel with the dominant hand. I know people can wear a glove on their dominant hand as well and be totally fine and it works for them(Sounds like the case for you). For me personally I lose all feel of the club face with 2 gloves on. Even in the rain, I will still only wear a glove on my left hand.

I am very partial to white wood tees in play. They leave cool marks on the driver face. 

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I LOVE this thread. Thank you all.

I had no idea how normal I am. 51683a_42ddb696afc442db8322aaeb315a8842~

Seriously though, the OP said "particular about", & then it kinda morphed into "OCD". 

I have plenty of habits. I prefer to call them routines. And routine is what generally helps one be (somewhat) consistent. :classic_rolleyes:

e.g. Except for putting, and sometimes for that, for every shot, I get behind the ball and hold up my club to give me a straight line to where I want the ball to start (a la Justin Rose, except I did it before he was born).

And I prefer to drive, but if my playing partner has already jumped into the driver's spot, no big deal.

So while I have habits/routines/preferences, I don't look up to see if a lightning bolt is going to strike me down if I don't do them. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

4 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I wear two gloves because my bottom hand is my dominant hand but I've never understood why golfer's only wear one glove. 

I fix at least 2 pitch marks on the green even if I didn't hit the green. 

I too wear two gloves, but my reason is arthritis in both hands.  The other glove helps cushion my right hand against the shock of the club hitting the ball.  As well, I use graphite shafts to minimize the shock transmission to my hands.  Things ya gotta do...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I LOVE this thread. Thank you all.

I had no idea how normal I am. 51683a_42ddb696afc442db8322aaeb315a8842~

Count me in for that lol ... Here are my little quirks:

Practice/Range:

Always PW, 7i, alternate 4i, 3w, or Driver depending on what I feel like working on

Dedicated glove - never one that I wear on the course

Playtime:

Ball marker on the magnet clipped to the right side of the brim of my hat out of my field of vision

2x plain wood tees, spare ball marker, pitch repair tool, and my ball when not in play in the right front pocket

Always use a yellow ball - no exceptions

glove off and in the back left pocket for any shot 100 yards and in

Glad I seem to be in good company here!

Hope you're all having a great day!  👍

Edited by Sir-Shanks-A-Lot

WITB (Spring 2024):

Driver:               Mizuno MP600 (9.5*)

3W:                    Titleist 909F2 (15.5*)

Hybrid:              TaylorMade Burner Rescue (19*)

Irons:                 Mizuno MX-200 (4-G)

Wedges:            Vokey Oil Can (54*); Mizuno MP-T (58*)

Putter:               Odyssey White Steel 2-ball SRT

Ball:                   Srixon Q-Star Yellow / Kirkland Signature v3 Yellow

No white gloves - I am not Michael Jackson.  Prefer no glove, but wear them when my hands are not hard.

Once a club is woken up, it does not go back to sleep until the round is over.

I keep my putter cover off so that I don't get fertilizer and moisture from the green into the cloth 17 extra times.

Ball mark is from another course that I have played, but never the same course and never the same one two rounds in a row.  Magnet on the hat but pocket is fine if no hat that day.

Never a alignment mark on a ball - hate them.

Never clean my wedges until I am sure that I don't want some roll out.  I can clean them right before the shot if I want the grooves to bite more.  I do clean them after the round.

Prefer real leather or fiber (cotton knit) head covers since my clubs like the feel of natural fibers.

Don't like shirts with Golf Course logos, but I recently made an exception for a Pebble Beach shirt, but it is also my favorite Summer Comfort style/fabric.

Keep my own score in a leather book in my back pocket.  If the scorecard from the clubhouse does not fit, then I have generic ones that I use.

Chapstick in my pocket - preferably some Sun Bum CocoBalm in any flavor except for watermelon.  Mint in the winter is good.

Never sunglasses.

Never thought of them as quirks but ... 

Head covers and pitter cover always. 

Wooden tees only

A quarter with the state I live in to mark my ball

Only wear a Titleist performance hat. ( I like the fit. )

ChapStick in my right pocket. I do this in everyday love too. 

When I putt I only want to see white. No lines , numbers.  Nothing. 

Damn now I feel weird..  

No glove

White wood tees (broken ones on less than driver tee shots)

Head cover always on putter and driver

I can't play a wood if it has a pop up mark

That's about it now, but when I was a kid, my buddies and I would always switch out a good ball for a scrub if playing over water. The old balata Titleist balls were coveted like gold.

• Like 1

Just habits... not OCD or anything.  I mean I don't need therapy if something on the list goes off the rails... but it rarely does 🙂

• White wooden tees only.  3.25"
  • On par 3's, color of the tee doesn't matter but always use a broken tee.  If I can't find a previously used one on the tee box, I'll take a new tee out of my pocket and break it first on those par 3's,
  • Left front pocket has 5 or 6 extra tees
  • Right front pocket is ball mark repair tool and 2 ball markers.  Ball markers are always carnival or car wash tokens... never cash and never  fancy ball marker.  
  • Chapstick also goes in right front pocket and always reapply on tee box of every par 3 hole.
  • Apply sunscreen before warmup.  Reapply on 1st tee and at the turn.
  • Casual round with buddies... spare ball goes in left front pocket with tees. Competitive round... no spare ball.
  • Driver headcover comes off and goes in the basket on 1st tee.  All other headcovers get taken off and put back on with each use.
  • Start every round with a new ball.
  • Rarely wear a glove...if I do, its in left back pocket while putting.
  • Don't want to see anything but white on the ball while putting... no line, no text.
  • 2 towels... one black wet towel for cleaning clubs and one white dry towel for me.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I've got a few. 

No lines visible anywhere when putting.  They all point left for me so sight dot only. 

Wallet, keys, and phone go in the bag as soon as I am on the teebox, I hate extra stuff in my pockets.

I always wear a ballcap, and unless it is overcast or twilight I always wear sunglasses.  My eyes aren't great and it helps track the ball.

Balls are always marked with the same orange dot and I usually carry 7 with me.  If its an unfamiliar course with trouble i will bring 11 just in case.

If score matters I walk all the way around the hole from my ball on every green.

There are probably more if I keep thinking about it 😂

This is a fascinating thread. I was interested to see so many presumably right-handed golfers keeping the ball in the right pocket. It makes sense, but I've always done the opposite and kept my game ball in my left pocket (with my tees), and back-ups in the right pocket (with my ball marker and divot repairer).

My quirks:

1) Wooden tees only; preferably ones that leave paint on the club. Modern ones don't seem to do this so much

2) Don't like to use broken tees. Used to be the opposite as a Junior.

3) Don't like to put a new ball into play on the back nine.

4) Use a 1921 Morgan silver dollar as my ball marker. Not sure if this is a quirk, though. It's massive, so I can see it from a distance when lining up putts from the opposite side of the hole. For back-up, I have an old Swiss 5-franc coin, which is also on the large side.

5) Clubs have their allotted place in the bag. Don't want them going in any old how as it may give them ideas above their station😅*

*it just makes it easier for me to find them

I have to wear a hat. My dome is shaved, and I wear glasses, so I need the protection for both my dome and to keep the sun glare from behind the glasses. 

I also won’t / can’t play without a sun sleeve on my L arm. I have a large, ugly skin graft and if that gets sunburned I have a serious problem on my hands. I apply sunscreen AND the sleeve, just no reason to risk it. 

Minimal pocket contents is important. I hate having a bunch of stuff in there, that’s what the 55 pockets on my bag 🤣 are for. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Two short/two long plastic white tees, divot tool-Left front pocket

Iphone in right rear pocket to count steps-otherwise I'd be counting while walking

Past 4 years, Always use yellow Srixon ball

Never accept found balls from folks, unless its yellow srixon

All clubs have same spot in bag.

Check club face before and after each shot for grass or dirt.

Each bag pocket has specific items in them.

Put on bucket hat when I pop the trunk

Specific time to leave the house depending on course

Warm up is 10 pitch shots, 10 6 ft putts on a straight section of green,(just use two balls) 10 full swings-no ball

One cut apple, two energy bars and two insulated cups for water for every 18 hole round

The never changing set up routine

If its a leap year, spin around three times, counter clockwise, then bite the head off a bat

I'm nuts. Monk had to be Scottish to invent this OCD game. 

I play munis exclusively. Greens are different than CC greens. A ball hit on the green has a 90% probability of settling in a small hole/dimple. When I mark my ball I place it 1/2" behind the ball so when I replace the ball AT the marker it is not in the hole.  Anyone know the distance data on tour putts made measured in 1/2" increments? 

'

• Like 1

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip