2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

154 ball speed, 18 degree launch angle, 268 carry

I got on a simulator after a bit of a hiatus (8 months or so) and my driver numbers were 268 carry, 154 ball speed, and 18 degree launch angle. No info on spin or swing speed. Driver is a ping g400 lst 10 degree (set to 9ish) with hzrdus 6.0 shaft ball is prov1. Ball flight on course looks high and spinny. I get very little roll. 

Given the limited info above, what kind of improvement could reasonably be possible with a driver change only (swing will be worked on someday…)? What are some basic #s I should aim for? Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Everything that Stuart said. Your swing speed, impact location, ball speed, and spin numbers are the 4 most critical parts to measure what gains can be made. Path, face angle, launch angle and dynamic loft, are all secondary until you have those first 4 categories accurately calculated.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 [email protected]* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

154mph ball speed,  18 launch and low spin on Foresight that's normal.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

5 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

154mph ball speed,  18 launch and low spin on Foresight that's normal.

It’s just a guess without knowing club head speed, club path, angle of attack, and stroke location…..

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

IJust got some new numbers on a different monitor that have a bit more info. Average ball speed was 148, average carry 251, spin~2700, LA 17.5. I didn’t get the impact info but I’ve got impact tape on the way in the next few days. 

This was after a back workout, so I’m probably leaving some speed on the table. 

10 minutes ago, whatever said:

IJust got some new numbers on a different monitor that have a bit more info. Average ball speed was 148, average carry 251, spin~2700, LA 17.5. I didn’t get the impact info but I’ve got impact tape on the way in the next few days. 

This was after a back workout, so I’m probably leaving some speed on the table. 

Just a guess without club data, path data, and strike location. Save your money on impact tape. Just buy a can of athletes foot spray. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Just a guess without club data, path data, and strike location. Save your money on impact tape. Just buy a can of athletes foot spray. 

Or foot odor spray.  Dr Scholl's seems to work the best from the few I've tried.  Just make sure it's the powder spray and not the liquid spray.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ode said:

This is a bit off topic but are people not able to tell where they hit it on the face with a driver without spray or tape?  I can understand with irons/fwy/hybrid indoor as there is no grass/dirt/debris and wear on the face, but driver?  Wipe face and repeat!

Some can certainly feel the more extreme off center misses (particularly heel and toe - not as easy for the high and low miss).  For me it takes the impact of around 1" off center toward heel or toe before I start to feel it.   I can guess at high and low impact based on the ball flight - but I can't really feel it.   

But the main point - when it comes to gear effect and it's impact on the numbers - even as little as 1/4" or 1/5" off center can make a significant difference - especially to the spin.   And no one is going to feel that with the big, large faced modern drivers.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ode said:

This is a bit off topic but are people not able to tell where they hit it on the face with a driver without spray or tape?  I can understand with irons/fwy/hybrid indoor as there is no grass/dirt/debris and wear on the face, but driver?  Wipe face and repeat!

Most players BELIEVE, they simply never checked it out, before someone here tells them to do it. 
We know that from the many treads with "too high spin", who is due to impact below the center line.
The player him-selves, is "convinced" he is on the center on both axises, but they never is.

We might ask how can that be?
- Tip flex and TQ can cover up a lot here, so it has to be "bad" before most will notice a difference, but also because they hardly ever pure it, so they simply dont know how a pured shot feels ...they have become used to the feedback from what ever impact pattern they have, and believe thats how it should be. (a pure impact with the driver, should feel like a soft wet kiss, not like a "high five")

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

@Howard_Jones

@noodle3872

@Stuart_G

@Ger21

What I mean is the dimple pattern/mark that is left on th face of the driver!  I can usually tell where contact has been made just by the feel (sometimes sound if it's high on face = louder) but at times it is harder when it's a slight mishit and feel is similar to on center.  I look most times to corroborate what my feel tells me.  I wipe the mark off/clean after every shot.  👈This is a must, otherwise it won't work!  A habit I've gotten into with every club.  Cleaned/wipes after every shot!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

If it works for you that's fine.  But 99.99% of players aren't that OCD about getting their face clean after every shot so it's not common that that would really work for most.   The powder is easier and way more time efficient.  Then I can spend the time between shots thinking about what I need to do with the mechanics.

.....ball position or tee height....to extend your text. 

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

2 hours ago, ode said:

And here I thought it made good practical sense to keep clubs clean🙃

Irons I understand but how often does the driver get dirt on it ?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

4 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Play early mornings when everything is wet, and pretty much every swing.

Fair enough I guess.

I don't play in wet weather and if I did I'd probably rely on my (yarn) headcover to remove enough of the water that I wouldn't worry/think about it for the next drive. 👍

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

48 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I won't speak for anyone else, but it's not a problem for me either.  But then I stopped hitting fat shots with my driver a long time ago 🙂

39 minutes ago, Ger21 said:

Play early mornings when everything is wet, and pretty much every swing.

Maybe if you stopped slamming your club head against the ground after a bad shot it wouldn't get dirty 😆

Sorry - I couldn't resist.   But seriously, I really am curious, how does wet conditions equate to dirt on the driver face for you?     No dirt gets on my driver even in the pouring down rain.   Water sure, but not dirt and certainly not ball marks.  

In fact it's only dirty range balls (not the ball that I use when I actually play) that leave any marks on the driver face at all.   And I usually start my warm up with the crappy balls and save the clean ones for the driver anyway. 

Maybe that's just one of the hidden bonuses of having such a slow swing speed. 😉

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I won't speak for anyone else, but it's not a problem for me either.  But then I stopped hitting fat shots with my driver a long time ago 🙂

Maybe if you stopped slamming your club head against the ground after a bad shot it wouldn't get dirty 😆

Sorry - I couldn't resist.   But seriously, I really am curious, how does wet equate to dirt for you?     No dirt gets on my driver even in the pouring down rain.   Water sure, but not dirt and certainly not ball marks.  

In fact it's only dirty range balls (not the ball that I use when I actually play) that leave any marks on the driver face at all.   And I usually start my warm up with the crappy balls and save the clean ones for the driver anyway. 

Maybe that's just one of the hidden bonuses of having such a slow swing speed. 😉

I’m topping out just under 100 and can see the mark from most shots with driver.  That’s with a clean face and clean ball every time.  I try to clean tee marks on the sole as well…..that also helps and yes…most of mine are a titch towards the heel.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

11 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I’m topping out just under 100 and can see the mark from most shots with driver.  That’s with a clean face and clean ball every time.  I try to clean tee marks on the sole as well…..that also helps and yes…most of mine are a titch towards the heel.

I have nothing against people who put any amount of effort over the appearance of their clubs - at either extremes.  I've just never been one of the ones that puts much effort into things that wont have any effect on the performance - such as the marks left by a clean ball or even the tee for that matter. 

Edited by Stuart_G

48 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

a number of factors-

I don't hover, am steep and tee it a bit lower, play in a.m. dew, in NE Wisconsin it's soft and another gusher last night with local flooding will lead to even softer conditions which it has been most of this season, and cough cough - playing courses that are not pristine/carpet like and debris will undoubtedly get on the club.....dirt included.  This is off topic (sorry OP) and not my original point as there is transfer of cover to driver face leaving a mark that can be seen and wiped off (I find this info valuable) NOT a ball mark that is permanent due to debris getting between face and ball.  Carry on 🙃

41 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I have nothing against people who put any amount of effort over the appearance of their clubs - at either extremes.  I've just never been one of the ones that puts much effort into things that wont have any effect on the performance - such as the marks left by a clean ball or even the tee for that matter. 

I don’t clean the driver for performance…but rather for what this topic is to be able to properly see most impact locations.

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

4 hours ago, ode said:

@Howard_Jones

@noodle3872

@Stuart_G

@Ger21

What I mean is the dimple pattern/mark that is left on th face of the driver!  I can usually tell where contact has been made just by the feel (sometimes sound if it's high on face = louder) but at times it is harder when it's a slight mishit and feel is similar to on center.  I look most times to corroborate what my feel tells me.  I wipe the mark off/clean after every shot.  👈This is a must, otherwise it won't work!  A habit I've gotten into with every club.  Cleaned/wipes after every shot!

Same for me, clean my clubs almost every shot and I can always tell by sound/feel where I’ve hit the ball with driver (especially) or most clubs overall. 99.9% of my swings leave a mark on the club face to confirm my feels/hearing. 

But I am OCD and keep my weapons clean after every use, after all I paid for them and they’re not cheap 

Driver:  MIZUNO STX-230 (9.5) - Hzrdus Black GEN4 60/6.0

Fwy:  MIZUNO STG-T.I. 3w (14) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (17.5) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hyb: COBRA F7 Hybrid (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

8 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

But seriously, I really am curious, how does wet conditions equate to dirt on the driver face for you?    

I'm apparently not playing on the same pristine tee boxes you are. 😆 I've seen tee boxes in shaded areas that are 40% dirt.

Just resting it on the ground can get dirt on it.

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

7 hours ago, Ger21 said:

I'm apparently not playing on the same pristine tee boxes you are. 😆 I've seen tee boxes in shaded areas that are 40% dirt.

Just resting it on the ground can get dirt on it.

OK, I see the disconnect.  The conversation was about the driver face, not any other part of the head.    Doesn't matter how nice or nasty the tee boxes are, my driver face doesn't come close to touching it or getting dirt on it.  And it's not even something that takes any effort or care to keep the face off the ground.   Now the sole might get dirty, but never the face.

Edited by Stuart_G