100-105 Swing Speed Distance

My swing speed hovers between 105 and 107 and my absolute max carry distance is right on about 260 yards, but the max forced carry I would be comfortable with is about 245 as it leaves me a little bit of wiggle room in the event I don't have a perfect strike on the ball.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

My 103mph-105mph SS gives me 180 carry average on the front 9 at North Berwick and 270 average carry on the back 9. FWIW I have no knowledge or interest for that matter, of what carry I get in a closed environment, because it's of absolute no relevance to me in the real world of what interests me, which is scoring as low as I can go. :taunt:

Just an FYI, if anyone wants to feel REALLY good about their driving distance on a monitor? Just go find a GC2, and hit some drives with sub 2k spin, and watch you all of a sudden carry the ball in the air 20 yards more!!! LOL Is this nonsense fixed by now in latest versions? I mean on GC2, you can swing ~10 MPH or so slower than Dustin Johnson, and carry the ball ~ as far!! Its AMAZING!! haha Dudes swinging only 111-113 carrying the ball ~300 yards. without downhill or wind? Sorry

I swing nowadays about 100-102, and I carry the ball ~240 area normally last couple months. And what do you know? Trackman and Flightscope back this up, very accurately.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope I'm in the correct form. Buddy of mine last time he checked swing speed around 100-105 if you read everything your distance is max say 260-270 carry. His carry more 280-290 we was playing a drivable par four this weekend 290-300 he drove it first day ball landed on the green the second day he flew on the back and went over. Is his swing speed wrong or his he doing something to get this extra distance. I'm not complaining I'm happy for him and especially when we play scrambles. He plays the ball back middle of his stance and most part a little closed sometimes square to open but mostly a little closed. With the ball so far back does he create more lag? Thanks for reading!

That is a big carry for 105. Not saying it's not possible, just not consistently likely. His swing speed is over 110 for sure. And were you for sure playing at 290-300. Depends on where the tee markers are. I have 2 bombers in my group that carry it 300. Their SS is well into the 120's......Just sayin!....Then again, conditions are another factor...

It's all about ball striking.

BINGO!!!

THIS is indeed what it's all about!!

Very Well Played Bro

Have a graat year and season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My 103mph-105mph SS gives me 180 carry average on the front 9 at North Berwick and 270 average carry on the back 9. FWIW I have no knowledge or interest for that matter, of what carry I get in a closed environment, because it's of absolute no relevance to me in the real world of what interests me, which is scoring as low as I can go. :taunt:

For any of ya 98% out there that ain't breakin 100 Playin it down and in, THIS is the mindset and thought's of a Player~

There's a reason that some do and most don't!

And no, it don't have s*** to do with LM's or equipment~

Not for a Player :)

Very Well Played Bro!!

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 3 weeks later...

Just an FYI, if anyone wants to feel REALLY good about their driving distance on a monitor? Just go find a GC2, and hit some drives with sub 2k spin, and watch you all of a sudden carry the ball in the air 20 yards more!!! LOL Is this nonsense fixed by now in latest versions? I mean on GC2, you can swing ~10 MPH or so slower than Dustin Johnson, and carry the ball ~ as far!! Its AMAZING!! haha Dudes swinging only 111-113 carrying the ball ~300 yards. without downhill or wind? Sorry

I swing nowadays about 100-102, and I carry the ball ~240 area normally last couple months. And what do you know? Trackman and Flightscope back this up, very accurately.

Sorry accidentally posted something my question was in regards to GC2

I know they get their data through measuring ball speed and spin, but that doesn't take the clubhead speed, or strike like flightscope does. I have no clue on my clubhead speed, due to going to different shops and getting wildly different readings, but I know the device I used was a GC2 and there is a fixed ball speed. With that being said how accurate is the measurements? I do not think I'm averaging 324 yards off the Tee with wind to my back, but on the GC2 I was :o my average numbers

Ball speed =163

V angle =13.1 I don't know what this is?

H angle= 6.0 I don't know what this is?

Side spin = -337 I'm guessing a small draw?

Back spin = 2259

Carry = 297

Roll =11

Distance 324 yards

I did notice that the one I hit under 2000 RPM (1850 RPM) it went 337 yards. Most of the balls I hit were between 2100 and 2350

Again, not sure of my swing speed, but 324 seems longer than real world driving. If I hit 50 drives, I might get lucky on getting it out there 324 yards, I'd have to get real lucky to see 337, like 20mph wind behind me, or hit a cart path!

I'm just not convinced on the accuracy of these devices. They seem to be in a vacuum of data, they all seem a bit removed from reality in my opinion!

I gather they are good for clubfitting if you get consistent numbers, but I'm not convinced!

• 2 weeks later...

My max SS is around 105-108 range. The other day I went to the range and took my Ping i15 11° Driver with Harrison Saga Stiff 100 Shaft and was Smashing the heck out of their range balls! Using my range finder, I was hitting it 285+ yards with roll on my decent its. I hit 4 that felt sooooo much better than those but I lost the balls (couldn't see them after being struck) because I was concentrating on keeping my head down at impact! The way they felt, I can assure you they were the 4 best drives of my life!

My normal best drives with my Aeroburner Mini average between 260-270 yards.

My rule of thumb has always been that driver carry equals twice 9-iron carry.

My swing speed is 105 with the driver.

My 9-iron carry is 120 yards, and my driver carry is 240 yards.

Of course, I am still using a 43", steel-shafted driver!?

I wish that were the case. I hit my 9 iron 150, driver avg probably 270.

SS 105 +- ,for Driver all things being factored in could with a SF at 1.5 could produce a ballspeed of 155-160mph this in turn can give you a 270 carry ( all numbers have to be optimized),,,this is all your should look at with driver as roll after that is course conditions for Total. Once in awhile all the stars get aligned and this happens.Expecting a 300yard drive with this swing speed is wishful thinking , but wont happen often or at all.

• 2 weeks later...

On average we get about 2.5 yards of carry distance per MPH, again on average, so at 100mph you should be around 250 carry...for me at 107, the numbers are about right, I am in the 270s carry (better if hit right on the sweet spot) and 290 in total distance...but it really depends on contact, smash factor, ball speed, launch, etc...I was at the Trials and my average was 104-105 SS, the fitter suggested some minor adjustments to my current driver (extension to 44.75", lead tape towards the toe and build up the grip with 2 wraps of tape) and now I am getting the above numbers...good luck

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

the true test is in the spin/ball speed/launch angle -- if you can get sub 2200 spin, ball speed over 160 and an LA over 13*...it's possible to get really good distance (ie over 280) -- but it is tough at a lower swing speed.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

So I have been getting out some winter rust,,and been doing a lot of overspeed training. First session on trackman ,in a while getting ready for the LD season. I know this is a more golf related thread but thought it would be interesting to share some numbers as we all gain form the knowledge and when some numbers are re-inforced by different swing speeds and ,ball speeds and angle of attacks ,,you can really see and learn how better to get results. So my swing speed is gaining a bit at 128-134mph ,,but now my launch angle went down to 9-10 on some hits, AoA in some cases were a negative but some in 2-3* ,so with a 185 ball speed and 3000 rpm you would think iam hitting 330 carry ,,,but not with this launch angle and a low AoA and SF at 1.39,,,, Didn't get many past 295 carry ( because a little high in the spin , never get high enough to create a landing angle of about 25-30* to get good roll) 320 total on some ,,So for the guys getting 275 to 285 from your SS at 105 +- you are optimizing your numbers and you can see that I am not ,,now I am back to some swing mechanics and equipment adjustments. I just thought it would be good to share some information that re confirms , numbers and results and the understanding of the results. ,,,how do you post pictures ?

Agree with with CubanStogie. I can carry my 9 iron 140 easy, and can't come close to carrying a driver 240 much less 280. So either my driver swing is really whacked your formula is.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Agree with with CubanStogie. I can carry my 9 iron 140 easy, and can't come close to carrying a driver 240 much less 280. So either my driver swing is really whacked your formula is.

With todays iron loft PW would be more accurate.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

Last year I was playing a scramble. Our company had 2 teams. My boss teed off if front of us on the long drive hole into a 30 km wind and got the long drive. Seemed like a great strike. When he set the stake I was on the tee and lazered him. Everyone on the tee guessed 270 to 290. It was 225. I then out drove him by 5 yards which won the long drive. A whopping 230 yards in a tourney (non pros obvoiusly) of about 300 people. Maybe 10 single digets in the whole group 3 of which are in my company. When I got back to the office I asked the guys and my boss how for they think he hit it and they said at least 280 going by the yardage marker. They said my rangefinder was messed when I told them the real number. I swing 105 but this was into a 30 km wind (obvious estimate from weather rpt) and zero roll as our courses all have soft fairways. 350 m elevation.

When I got the long drive people were coming up to me saying wow that was like 320. I just laughed and said nope more like 230. I have won a dozen or so long drives and I only carry about 250 to 260.

Moral of the story... fairway markers don't tell everything. Range finders are very humbling when you shoot back to the tee.

Hi Folks-I'm new here so thought I'd add to the facts and maybe seek advise on launch angles at the same time-if I'm in the wrong place, please let me know where I should post.

I knew my Swing Speed of around 105 was about 2-5mph faster than my main playing partner, but usually he is 10-20 yards ahead of me-and I reckoned the reason was excess spin on my part (tend towards a high flight, good downwind, crap against)

So, I got talked into changing my Big Bertha today (2014) to the Titleist D3 by my local shop fitter (Halpenny, Dublin, Irl) based on the following numbers:-(average of 4 shots each on Flightscope)

Big Bertha-SS 106.7, Carry 257 Total 272, Ball 153.1, AoA +2, Launch 19.1, Spin 3271, Dynamic Loft 23.3

Titleist D3 SS 106 Carry 263 Total 292 Ball 152.4 AoA +4.2 Launch 17.2, Spin 2077, Dynamic Loft 15.2

the BB figures above were boosted by 1 cracker as follows-

Best BB SS 109.2 Carry 275 Total 302 Ball 155.8 AoA+3.5 Launch 19.7, Spin 1825, Dynamic Loft 23

-the total distance of the BB group goes down to 262 without this one, so the Titleist won by 30 yards-much to my surprise (I'm a big Calloway fan)

I'm not sure if the above helps the debate, with the exception of the launch angle, the best BB above needed 109 SS to carry 275-and it felt as clean a strike as I'd ever realistically manage. The spin was exceptionally low, which I think was the big issue. In the other corner, if I improved the launch angle on that strike, could it have carried further......?????

So, now to my question to any experts out there-my launch angles above all seem too high based on all the internet recommendations I have seen which suggest I should be aiming for 12.5-13 degrees. Given that Launch is supposed to be 85% of Dynamic Loft and 15% of AoA and that my AoA seems good (+2-+5), the advise would seem to suggest I need to get my dynamic loft down by at least 5 degrees. Does this make sense and if so, how do I best achieve it, e.g. should I reduce the loft from the standard 9.5 degree model (they do an 8.5 and you can take it down another 0.75). I realise that pushing the hands a bit more forward might help, the real problem is you don't have a flightscope on the range to test with :-) (at least, I don't!).

The advise out there seems to be aim for as high a launch angle as you can get, but that is tempered by the internet charts suggesting that at 105mph it should be down around 13%. So, anyone got any experience to judge if I should be looking to reduce mine, as suggested above by about 5% of dynamic loft????

Cheers

P>S>A big part of the reduced spin which made the Titleist numbers better was he moved me from a stiff to an extra stiff shaft-interestingly, when I tried the same shaft on my BB, it didn't work so well-so it was a combination of the whole package.

My top swing speed is 105-110. That generally gives me about 260- 270 carry and with roll I can to 280 yard. I rarely drive it past 300 unless I have dry out fairways

I have gotten it past 110 it feels like I have no control and you really have to have a strong backward core and forearms to counteract that much speed

Well I suppose people aren't going to stop hitting drivers.

Slightly less extravagant numbers from me.

With a driver speed of around 95-98mph and 140ish ball speed I carry around 220 with 10-20 roll out on good hits.

I have used GPS and laser range finders to measure longer shots, there's alway one or two that go sneaky long, but on average I would say this is about right for me.

What was extremely embarrassing last year was nearly hitting a friend in a group in front. I lasered the tree past a dip the group had just walked down, it was 270, well out of my range. I hit the shot and everything must of aligned, one of those effortless ones. it pitched behind him and just missed him as it went past going at a rate of knots. I didn't measure it back to the tee but it ended up past the tree. However, It would be very unrealistic to say that my drives are now 280, although it would be nice. :-)

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

• 5 months later...