2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

• 3 weeks later...

Today at the range I heard a guy who was demoing a bunch of stuff with his buddy claim how he just kept hitting his 4 iron so well. "200, 210, 230 or even 240 every time down the middle with plenty of rollout, it is such a great club, can you just buy the 4?"

Really funny stuff *sarcasm*. Except I was three bays over and could hear him clear as day in the middle of a torrential downpour!

Another guy came by and started explaining that this was nothing, he was trying out for the REMAX championship long drive and was working on getting his 380 carry up to 400 plus. Every time he swung he had the loudest exhale ever. TBH he was enormous and had 3 drivers. Didn't check what he was swinging, but he was swinging hard.

I was hitting balls with my M2 driver and the guy next to me was also hitting his M2 driver. I was hitting mine a decent bit further and straighter. He said to me that it looks like we have the same SS so my M2 had to be tour issued while his was off the rack. I told him it wasnt. He was stumped. I dont hit the ball that crazy far. Pretty funny to watch him try to absolutely smash every drive after that. I started working on my wedges to make his session a little less stressful.

I heard someone say on the range a couple weeks ago "It's like a pack of coyotes taking down a deer." At first I thought this was a description of someone's swing/ballflight (although I wouldn't know what that would mean). I look over and there was a pack of coyotes taking down a deer at about the 275 marker.

Thing get away?

Not one thing I've heard in particular..but. I go to a small,quiet range owned by elderly man. I'm there often so I see the "regulars". Anyway there's this dad who brings his son who looks like he's 13 maybe 14 yrs old, kid is all geared up with his foot joys, Titleist hat, etc. Dad takes a seat behind the kid and proceeds to "coach" him. EVERY time I see this kid at the range he's hitting weak slice after weak slice..hitting nothing but driver over and over! Dad aka coach..telling him to "keep your eye on the ball" and every other possible bad cliche. Meanwhile anyone with a shred of golf knowledge can see the kid is set up with his shoulders totally open to his target line. I so badly want to tell the guy to suck it up and pay for some lessons for the kid..or better yet ...have the kid start with a freaking pitching wedge and try to instill some proper swing techniques. It's really aggravating to watch.

Range balls don't fly like my balls for some reason. They are all short by 30-40 yards!

heard that and switched bays. And then put on headphones

They really don't...maybe not by 30-40 yards but they definitely are 15-20 yards short by the time I get to driver

This is a real thing. Pretty much every range ball maker offers a ball that flies about 30% less for use in short ranges: https://www.golfballmonster.com/shopping-pages/limited-flight/

Was eating lunch on the deck overlooking some of the hitting bays and watched a musclebound tweaker looking guy swinging violently at the ball, I mean so hard he would make an audible groan on his downswing. Guy looked like a mixture of Danny McBride and Cyrus from Trailer Park Boys. He was telling a girl who I assume was his girlfriend how he was hitting the ball "wayy longer than most pros" he just didn't like to practice or he "definitely could've made a good living with golf". Guy was hitting low, sliced rockets like 200 yards dead right.

• Like 1

I heard someone say on the range a couple weeks ago "It's like a pack of coyotes taking down a deer." At first I thought this was a description of someone's swing/ballflight (although I wouldn't know what that would mean). I look over and there was a pack of coyotes taking down a deer at about the 275 marker.

Thing get away?

Nope!

I was on the range last night and 3 college aged kids walk up and start hitting balls behind me. I hear one of them ask the other, "so, what are you supposed to aim at when you do this". The same guy also said "what's the best way to scoop the ball off the ground".

I couldn't help but think of this thread and laugh to myself.

I heard some ladies about 5 spots behind me a couple of weeks ago, one starts helping this terrible friend of hers, joking around about using big muscles, loading up the left side, firing the hips, activating this and that, how the backswing is broken into 3 parts, kinetic chains, etc. I was chuckling to myself thinking this woman is hilarious. Then I turn around to see who's doing this, and the woman is DEAD SERIOUS. It looked like it was this other lady's first or second time holding a club. I watched with my jaw in my lap for a good 5 minutes because I couldn't believe it. Before turning around I would have bet $50 she was trying to be funny! :lol:

The other strange one was more what I saw... buddy with a full can of cooking spray right beside the mat. Trying to see contact spot on the club maybe? Looked interesting, anyway.

I occasionally work the range at a resort course. I hand out bags of balls and keep the area up. This guy walks up with some of our rental clubs. We have the tee,s up to the front of the grass area at this time. He asked me " so is it ok to hit driver here" I took a look up at the other end of the range and estimated about a 340 yard distance to the other end. Now there are buildings at the other end so I am not sure if he thought he might hit one. I said to him "sir I think it would be ok if you were to hit driver" Proceeded to hit it about 220 in the air. Little bit later he asked "whats the loft on this sand wedge?" told him "probably 56". Proceeded to chunk the heck out of it for about 15 minutes.

Range balls don't fly like my balls for some reason. They are all short by 30-40 yards!

heard that and switched bays. And then put on headphones

They really don't...maybe not by 30-40 yards but they definitely are 15-20 yards short by the time I get to driver

This is a real thing. Pretty much every range ball maker offers a ball that flies about 30% less for use in short ranges: https://www.golfballmonster.com/shopping-pages/limited-flight/

Hope they don't charge extra; easiest way to reduce flight distance is to take technology out of the balls. Gimme a bag of cheap 2-piece low-comps, a bag of play sand and a cement mixer and I'll give you a bucket of balls that will suck 20% off any driver hit.

As for most ridiculous stuff I've heard/seen at the range, it's probably the husband giving his obviously-never-swung-before wife a beat-up 3 iron from what must have been a 50yo set, and as words of encouragement, said the old adage, "if you can hit this, anything else will be so easy for you". Well maybe, but how about starting her off with something she might actually get up in the air by the end of the bucket? Or maybe he wanted her to give up on it so golf could be his me time, I dunno...

This didn't happen at the range, but it happened just behind it where the batting cages are. I was young when this happened, probably 10 or 11, and this guy came storming up to the batting cage I was in and walked in without a helmet or a bat! He then proceeded to use the fastball pitching machine (90 mph) without a helmet OR a bat!!! And I was like "mister you gotta wear a helmet!" He's all like "don't worry about it!" And proceeded to take pitches right to the chest! He even took one right off his head!! It was unbelievably awesome!! He kept muttering about next seasons hockey tryouts and how he bad to toughen up!! This guy was nuts!!

Then! This giant dark skinned fella came barrelling over to the cage and unplugged this psychos machine. The guy was very displeased with this man and I remember him distinctively still talking about toughening up for hockey tryouts. The darker skinned man, who had a wooden hand btw, kept repeating that he had to give this s*** up and focus on golf!! These 2 wackos kept bantering all the way to the psycho guys' car which was a total POS beater. At this point I was out of hearing range but the psycho guy literally whipped a hockey stick out of his trunk and started blasting slapshots around with beer cans!! It was truely unbelievable!!! Nobody believes me when I tell this story!!

I believe you

My buddy is at a range in San Diego years ago. He was a sprinter in college--small guy but with muscular legs and back side. Well, a guy sets up in the stall behind him. And the next time my friend bends down to get a ball, he hears (in a tone like a Southerner enjoying the first bite of some really good fried chicken): "Mmmmm mm mmmmm mm mmmmmmm!"

He said he felt very "uncomfortable" after that. Didn't turn around, just moved to a different stall. :-D

Watched a guy compliment a young 20ish woman (who has the game) while she was on the range mats. He was on the practice green next to the mats and she did not give him the time of day. Had her ear buds in and concentrated on what she was doing.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

This didn't happen at the range, but it happened just behind it where the batting cages are. I was young when this happened, probably 10 or 11, and this guy came storming up to the batting cage I was in and walked in without a helmet or a bat! He then proceeded to use the fastball pitching machine (90 mph) without a helmet OR a bat!!! And I was like "mister you gotta wear a helmet!" He's all like "don't worry about it!" And proceeded to take pitches right to the chest! He even took one right off his head!! It was unbelievably awesome!! He kept muttering about next seasons hockey tryouts and how he bad to toughen up!! This guy was nuts!!

Then! This giant dark skinned fella came barrelling over to the cage and unplugged this psychos machine. The guy was very displeased with this man and I remember him distinctively still talking about toughening up for hockey tryouts. The darker skinned man, who had a wooden hand btw, kept repeating that he had to give this s*** up and focus on golf!! These 2 wackos kept bantering all the way to the psycho guys' car which was a total POS beater. At this point I was out of hearing range but the psycho guy literally whipped a hockey stick out of his trunk and started blasting slapshots around with beer cans!! It was truely unbelievable!!! Nobody believes me when I tell this story!!

I believe you

I saw that, too!

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I heard some ladies about 5 spots behind me a couple of weeks ago, one starts helping this terrible friend of hers, joking around about using big muscles, loading up the left side, firing the hips, activating this and that, how the backswing is broken into 3 parts, kinetic chains, etc. I was chuckling to myself thinking this woman is hilarious. Then I turn around to see who's doing this, and the woman is DEAD SERIOUS. It looked like it was this other lady's first or second time holding a club. I watched with my jaw in my lap for a good 5 minutes because I couldn't believe it. Before turning around I would have bet $50 she was trying to be funny! :lol:

The other strange one was more what I saw... buddy with a full can of cooking spray right beside the mat. Trying to see contact spot on the club maybe? Looked interesting, anyway.

He was "greasing" his driver. This illegal and also (apparently) very effective to add distance and get rid of spin. I have always wanted to try it, but I am a little worried that I would like it. :swoon:

if it weren't for my horse, I never would've got through that year in college.

*someone knows this reference ---

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

He was "greasing" his driver. This illegal and also (apparently) very effective to add distance and get rid of spin. I have always wanted to try it, but I am a little worried that I would like it. :swoon:

I've heard of doing the same thing with chapstick.