Callaway Big Bertha

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1384796764' post='8167168']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1384793340' post='8166904']

This is why people should demo and get properly fit. Callaway has a variety of options like most OEM's to meet the needs of consumers. If the tech is too much for some then the X2hot or optiforce line is perfect for them. Different strokes ya know?.
[/quote]

J13, this is the same inquiry i had for Harry earlier though: If the club that is about to come out is so earth-shattering, then I just don't see how optiforce could even be an option for ANYONE. If this club is just mega-adjustable, then sweet, I am sure I would try it and probably think it was cool, but if an optiforce could be a legitimate option for someone after they also try this Driver B or C, I just fail to see how it could live up to the hype. Keep in mind that Harry himself was the one who brought the optiforce into this, and it just leaves more questions than answers for me at least. I guess we shall see tho. BTW, really appreciate all your posts/info.
[/quote]

No problem I'm glad to share as much as I can. Wish I could just post the pics so people could see firsthand but I can't. But Harry already answered that question not sure I can add anything to it. Optiforce and Driver B, and C are built for different golfers. Not all players will benefit from every driver which is why companies have different options. Optiforce was built to help slower swing speed players add distance by a lightweight design and aerodynamic head shape. Driver b and c are designed to help players who have solid swing speed already but want to maximize that in every way.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like tech so I'm looking forward to seeing this new breakthrough driver. I haven't gotten along with the last few callaway drivers but I hope this one is different, especially since it has the BB name.

Sorry if I missed it but any fairway in the works with the BB name.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Got a chance to hit the new drivers today and there is some game changing technology in store. They all look great and feel really solid.

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

The adjustability, if done right, can be groundbreaking because it can give the public the ability to fine tune everything with their driver like the pro player can, without having to go through multiple fitting sessions and without spending the major money it takes to get it done.

Just think, we know there a special editions of almost every driver modded to the pro players needs out there. Imagine being able to, at home, modify yours to similar specs as the pro's. Low spin high launch or low launch higher spin in one driver? Sounds like it simplifies a lot from both ends.

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

besides the little apple on the head cover, it is pretty plain.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

So besides me heading out to Carlsbad to get properly fit for this driver what is Callaway going to do to help the masses and people that have no idea about fitting and helping out with setting it up? Average guys go "ohhhhh, I need it" and spend all year trying to figure it out. There is only one guy at a big box store I would trust to help me out. That guy lives in St. Louis though!!!

How much weight in the head is moving around? 20? 30? That's what I am curious about.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Optiforce is an incredibly light head. The lightest we offer. It also has a shallow, easy to launch face. It produces a lot of spin to help get the ball airborne. The driver itself is built on a platform that is designed for a 46 inch, light weight shaft. For that specific recipe, it would be difficult to get there by building a driver from the rest of the lineup. You could do it, but it would be easier just to go for an Optiforce.

I would say this, do you want to play a D0, 46 inch, lightweight aerodynamic head or do you need that type of spec to reach maximum distance? If so, then Optiforce is a great driver for you. If not, then you'd be better off buying an X2HOT, X2HOT Pro or "DriverB, C"

The wildcard in this distance/fitting strategy is the FTO 440. It probably doesn't fit perfectly in. And like I said, the head performed so well for better players and people who liked it during testing that we went ahead and launched it.

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1384813942' post='8168686']
So besides me heading out to Carlsbad to get properly fit for this driver what is Callaway going to do to help the masses and people that have no idea about fitting and helping out with setting it up? Average guys go "ohhhhh, I need it" and spend all year trying to figure it out. There is only one guy at a big box store I would trust to help me out. That guy lives in St. Louis though!!!

How much weight in the head is moving around? 20? 30? That's what I am curious about.
[/quote]

this thing is amazing, and very easy to adjust, I'm more upset my RFX isn't going to last a second year.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1384814310' post='8168706']
Optiforce is an incredibly light head. The lightest we offer. It also has a shallow, easy to launch face. It produces a lot of spin to help get the ball airborne. The driver itself is built on a platform that is designed for a 46 inch, light weight shaft. For that specific recipe, it would be difficult to get there by building a driver from the rest of the lineup. You could do it, but it would be easier just to go for an Optiforce.

I would say this, do you want to play a D0, 46 inch, lightweight aerodynamic head or do you need that type of spec to reach maximum distance? If so, then Optiforce is a great driver for you. If not, then you'd be better off buying an X2HOT, X2HOT Pro or "DriverB, C"

The wildcard in this distance/fitting strategy is the FTO 440. It probably doesn't fit perfectly in. And like I said, the head performed so well for better players and people who liked it during testing that we went ahead and launched it.
[/quote]

Harry, just wanted to say I really appreciate your frankness about this. Can't wait for the new driver pics! Maybe you can make pics happen on wrx first ;)

[quote name='getair23' timestamp='1384814872' post='8168760']

[/quote]

this thing is amazing, and very easy to adjust, I'm more upset my RFX isn't going to last a second year.
[/quote]

Adjustments are EXTREMELY easy on it but again I can't stress enough to get properly fit. When you buy the driver get on the monitor in the shop and figure out your settings. But that should be done with any modern day driver.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1384815378' post='8168802']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Adjustments are EXTREMELY easy on it but again I can't stress enough to get properly fit. When you buy the driver get on the monitor in the shop and figure out your settings. But that should be done with any modern day driver.
[/quote]

You remember where you're posting right? This is WRX afterall. If we were to be "properly" fit for ANYTHING, it would remove any legitimate excuse we have for not shooting 65 day in and day out. C'mon J, get it together.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

haha my apologies hayzoos.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='bama11' timestamp='1384818072' post='8168992']
Can’t wait to see the new Drivers; I need one of them right now! The Optiforce 440 is really calling my name, but I am desperately trying to hold out for the new one. J13, any idea on stock shafts? Not sure if anyone has asked this question yet.
[/quote]

I know what will be offered and it's a high quality new offering but I don't know that its public knowledge at this point. If Cally says I can talk about it I will.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='Jackjv21' timestamp='1384738913' post='8164398']
I hope what Phil said on the morning drive is accurate. I'm to the point I could care less about extra distance. I would gladly sacrifice 15 yards off the box for something that is more forgiving. Come on Big Bertha!!!!
[/quote]

But Phil said the BB will be less forgiving because of the forward center of gravity. It sounds like the X 2 Hot or whatever it is will be the forgiving one.

Johnny Rodriguez tweeted about the driver.. Looks like Fubuki white...???

https://twitter.com/JohnnyRodCG

Epic 9.0° Rogue x
Optiforce 15° Rogue x
X Forged UT 3 KBS
Apex Pro 4-PW KBS
Mack Daddy 2 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey ProType #3.1 mod
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/869684-rpvl-dutchwitb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1384815926' post='8168844']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1384815378' post='8168802']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You remember where you're posting right? This is WRX afterall. If we were to be "properly" fit for ANYTHING, it would remove any legitimate excuse we have for not shooting 65 day in and day out. C'mon J, get it together.
[/quote]

Thanks j13. People should when moving around the weight like people are hyping that this driver can do.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

I've seen it... I have pictures... and yes, new Fubuki is a stock offering.

Here's a little twist, the new BB has a little brother..................

Can someone say, "BB 3 Wood!"

[b]HARRY.... When can I post these pics???[/b]

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1384821487' post='8169352']
I've seen it... I have pictures... and yes, new Fubuki is a stock offering.

Here's a little twist, the new BB has a little brother..................

Can someone say, "BB 3 Wood!"

[b]HARRY.... When can I post these pics???[/b]

Harry
[/quote]

Great news on the BB fwys too. Will they have the same technology as the driver?

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1384822439' post='8169452']
What has been said?? I skipped from page 1 to page 8. The new $499 big dog looks kinda cheap from the sole. BUT it looks fantastic from address, love the tech in it and it flies VERY well. I would say probably one of the best ideas I've seen from a major OEM in a long time.... VERY cool. I think its gonna be a great selling driver in 2013.... I hit a few balls with it today and was very impressed.

Rumor is there are gonna be multiple shafts available at that price point..... anyone from Callaway can confirm?

I did LOL when I saw the whole apple theme too.... but I do think its kinda cool. The headcover looks like a $100 cover.... ha!
[/quote]

$499? Seriously?

Callaway GBB Driver
Callaway GBB 5 wood
TM Aeroburner 5 hybrids
Ping Anser irons 6-PW
Ping I20 UWTI, SW
Callaway MD PM 58, 64
Ping Ketch mid heavy
Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone extrasoft

[quote name='Callaway_HarryA' timestamp='1384814310' post='8168706']

[/quote]

which one is/will be the one with the most forgiveness of the 2014 lineup?