Playing a "Goat Track"?

12346»

Comments

• OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 902 ✭✭
    I personally know of a tour pro who had his carry bag stolen from Sawgrass, at the bag drop with staff everywhere.

It's was a regular carry bag but had Titleist clubs not yet released to the public in it.

If someone wants what you have it can happen anywhere.

I never let my clubs out of site unless I'm at a high end private. I see people leave clubs at the bag drop at Sea island all the time, there is no way I would even consider that, waaaay to easy to take.

• CHuntsmanCHuntsman Posts: 745 ✭✭
    zdobson71 wrote:

North GA is full of "Goat Track's", courses where you hit driver once an round and never have a flat lie. Feel like it makes you a better and more creative player!

Countryland!!
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,568 ClubWRX
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • smb4uasmb4ua Posts: 142 ✭✭
    Why has this thread been pinned at the top for a couple years?
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,924 ✭✭
    Best part of the goat tracks is usually some pretty darn good homemade food at the 19th hole. That and cheap six packs!
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • slow_rollslow_roll Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Only play goat tracks with 12 packs. Rule #1.
  • ShortGame420ShortGame420 Members Posts: 4
    I learned how to play on a goat track. little executive muni course. Par 59. 5 par 4s and the rest are par 3s. the layout is fantastic but unfortunately never in good shape. I love playing there and live about 5 minutes from the place. I do prefer the bigger courses in better shape but this course has a nostalgic feel for me and I know it like the back of my hand.
    Mizuno ST190 10.5* Bassara E42 x5ct
    Mizuno ST180 5 Wood 18* Bassara E42 x5ct
    Ping G25 22* TFC180
    Mizuno CLK 25* Speeder Evo HB 60
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 7-P Project X LZ 4.0
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 6 Iron Project X LZ 4.0
    Mizuno S18 gun metal 5208, 5610, 6006 Project X LZ 4.0
    Scotty Cameron Select Mallet 2
    ​Taylormade TP5x
  • another goat track I’ve recently discovered and am asbsolutely enamored with is Anthony Country Club in Anthony, NM. this course is so gnarly! with only 9 actual holes cut it was an easy fit on a river bank of the Rio Grande. play 1-9 then come back to first hole but tee off from box labeled no. 10. a few of the longer holes allow ‘back 9’ tee boxes quite different than the front 9. still offering players a slightly altered approach from its front 9 counterpart. 5807 yards, with a 550yd par 5 being the longest hole. my favorite hole is no. 4&13, as its a blind shot over a county road that brings you in from I-10! No. 4 is 107yds ‘from the tips’ image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> and then they back you up to 127yds. it has a decent sized green that most can land on with help from the makeshift ‘eye in the sky’ rendering they have at the box. dead serious. that green is not huge by any means either. if you reference the cottonwoods in the rendering with your view of them from the box, you’ll be on. as I mentioned the course is on the riverbank so after teeing off you drive/walk through the landscaped underpass and see the green. there is also a large gong built for players to use once you’ve completed the hole. thus announcing to the group behind, and the entire course that they have a clear green! best part is when you tee off there is no mention of ‘the gong’ and or instructions to listen for it! ahhh, middle of nowhere New Mexico logic at it best! honestly I loved it’s shortcomings and wouldn’t change a thing about the layout. $22 during the week for 18 holes and $30 on weekends, and some thrill from the blind shot? I’m game.

it’s easy to see it’s now only a ‘country club’ by name. tennis courts are no longer in use as is the swimming pool. decent chow however. shoot I may go this afternoon, I’m smiling just writing this.

I hope this goat track by the Rio Grande never closes, even if your eyes briefly do when departing the course hoping not to be hit by friendly fire on no. 4!
    Titleist 917D2 9.5
    917F2 15*
    818H 19*
    Titleist 718 CB 3 MB 4-9
    SM7 58* 52* 46*
    Nickent Omen Tour Series #3 35”
12346»