Serious question about Speith hitting from the range

Comments

• nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,897 ✭✭
    xjohnx wrote:

Players are not permitted to practice on the course before the round. The area to the right of the 13th can't be a practice ground and an integral part of the course it has to be one or the other!

By that logic you can't play a shot from any adjacent hole that you haven't played yet during that round.

Why ? Would that shot be "practice" ? image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Silver (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,377 ✭✭
    2bGood wrote:

I am one of those guys that think it is on the property it should be in bounds.

I am too. There's a course near me that has OB markers between 17 tee and 18 fairway (hitting off 18 tee, 17 tee box is just left of the landing area). To me, there is no reason for anyone to intentionally hit it there, because if

You do wind up there, there's no shot to the green because of trees. The only reason I could see making something OB is if it was adventageous to put a tee shot there in order to get a better line, in which case would put those teeing off on 17 in danger. Then again, that is **** poor design, so it should never happen.

I believe if it's within the confines of the property the course is on, it shouldn't be OB.
  • dcfasdcfas Tempus Fugit Members Posts: 897 ✭✭
    On a typical course I can see OB for a practice area for the simple reason you wouldn't want people playing shots from an area that they could be in danger of being hit in (from multiple players practicing). No tournament.
  • SpoonSpoon Members Posts: 2,328 ✭✭
    enough already. there were a battalion of marshalls

they let him play so he played. i bet the phone lines of

the pga were constantly ringing from couch potatoes calling it in.

just try!
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭
    Spoon wrote:

just try!

Agreed. The range at that course is always in bounds. Secondly to those that think the range should be OB, it isn't. Of the courses I play I can only think of 1 where the range is OB. It's very common not to be OB.
  • ConcentricDimplesConcentricDimples Members Posts: 739
    edited Jul 26, 2017 #67
    (Full disclosure this part of the Rule I don't know and am sincerely asking, and not accusing any persons--real or fictitious--of anything)

It seemed Jordan took his "first drop" or "would-be" drop in or around a sponsor/OEM van. Then proceeded to his drop spot on the range? If so, can the player whose ball is obstructed by transient immovable obstructions CHOOSE which way laterally to ultimately drop and play his ball from? Or was the drop spot on the range the mandatory direction by virtue of the location of his would-be drop based on the line between his tee shot and the pin?

EDIT: Nevermind, this actually is a stupid question.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • apprenti23apprenti23 ClubWRX Posts: 3,885
    I don't understand how they can make an adjacent fairway OB but not the driving range? The driving range is NEVER considered a part of th egolf course/ field of play. He should've been hitting three from the tee!
  • xjohnxxjohnx Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭
    edited Jul 25, 2017 #69
    Spoon wrote:

just try!

For the record this thread was never started to argue the should/shouldn't debate. The thread was dead for 24 hours and the people that posted today didn't debate the topic at all. But glad you made it to the party anyway. If anything your post reignited the fire judging from the posts after yours. Also, the PGA has nothing to do with the open championship.

I'm really starting to regret starting this thread.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,499 ✭✭
    apprenti23 wrote:
    I don't understand how they can make an adjacent fairway OB but not the driving range? The driving range is NEVER considered a part of th egolf course/ field of play. He should've been hitting three from the tee!

No. It was an unplayable lie not an ob .
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Taylormade M2 44 inches.
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
    apprenti23 wrote:

doesnt matter bro really image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' /> i bet jordan couldn't believe it either but the marshals gave him a free pass.

if one is offered you don't question.
    xjohnx wrote:

Spoon wrote:

just try!

For the record this thread was never started to argue the should/shouldn't debate. The thread was dead for 24 hours and the people that posted today didn't debate the topic at all. But glad you made it to the party anyway. If anything your post reignited the fire judging from the posts after yours. Also, the PGA has nothing to do with the open championship.

sorry.
    Spoon wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

Spoon wrote:

just try!

sorry.

Me too. I guess I'm just in a bad mood or bored and picking fights on the internet. It's just frustrating when you start a thread to ask a legitimate question and it's turns into a pissing contest. I guess we should all know better by now.
  • ConcentricDimplesConcentricDimples Members Posts: 739
    The only thing that actually does bother me a little bit is how sure Jordan Spieth was about exactly what he was going to do before he did it. Insofar as he can conduct his golf without approval/oversight from a marshall, then all the more power to him.

But insofar as a marshall is going to "oversee" things, Jordan be all like: "Hey bro, this is what I'm going to do, and that's how I'm going to do it, and this isn't a discussion."

The guy does try to be very polite and docile in interviews, and I give him credit. But when he means business there is no: "Mr. Crenshaw" kind of attitude going on whatsoever; it's more like: "I'm going to win the Claret Jug so I'm going to tell you what drop I'm taking, and you are going to agree and then exit stage left."
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,975 ✭✭
    I do the same thing during tournaments just so its out there. If I am 100% certain that what I am doing is within the rules, I will still tell my playing partners what exactly I am doing so there is no ambiguity
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,541 ✭✭
    apprenti23 wrote:

It's commonly done for safety's sake but there is no requirement in the rules to make the range OB.
  • 4Par4Par Members Posts: 784 ✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

I do the same thing during tournaments just so its out there. If I am 100% certain that what I am doing is within the rules, I will still tell my playing partners what exactly I am doing so there is no ambiguity

Exactly.... know the rule, act decisively, and minimize other "opinions" that could lead you down a bad path.

Too many people toss their fate to the winds and then complain afterwards.... too late.

Jordan is a PROFESSIONAL GOLFER, it's his job to know the rules. If he just stood there and said "what do I do?" that wouldn't have been very professional.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,071 ClubWRX

The only thing that actually does bother me a little bit is how sure Jordan Spieth was about exactly what he was going to do before he did it. Insofar as he can conduct his golf without approval/oversight from a marshall, then all the more power to him.

But insofar as a marshall is going to "oversee" things, Jordan be all like: "Hey bro, this is what I'm going to do, and that's how I'm going to do it, and this isn't a discussion."

The guy does try to be very polite and docile in interviews, and I give him credit. But when he means business there is no: "Mr. Crenshaw" kind of attitude going on whatsoever; it's more like: "I'm going to win the Claret Jug so I'm going to tell you what drop I'm taking, and you are going to agree and then exit stage left."

As he should be. Be like hey bro, get over it already.
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    edited Jul 26, 2017 #80
    apprenti23 wrote:

Because players choosing to play in the other fairway had to hit their shots over a grandstand full of spectators. It was marked OB due to spectator safety.

.....and many courses do not mark their practice area OB or anything inside of the boundaries. Stop acting like it is uncommon.
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,198 ✭✭
    ray9898 wrote:

apprenti23 wrote:

Because players choosing to play in the other fairway had to hit their shots over a grandstand full of spectators. It was marked OB due to spectator safety.

.....and many courses do not mark their practice area OB or anything inside of the boundaries. Stop acting like it is uncommon.

He's not saying it's uncommon. He's saying it's NEVER. Not on one single course. None on the entire planet.
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,198 ✭✭
    mwkbmw wrote:

All of this talk about OB got me thinking. My home course has only one hole with no OB, and that is hole 8, a par 3. Holes 1, 7, 9, 10 and 17 have OB on one side. Holes 3 and 13 have OB one side and water on the other. Hole 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 18 have OB both sides.

Sounds awful.

mwkbmw wrote:

No wonder I suck.

Maybe you just suck at choosing good golf courses! image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
    teejaywhy wrote:

ray9898 wrote:

apprenti23 wrote:

He's not saying it's uncommon. He's saying it's NEVER. Not on one single course. None on the entire planet.

Where do you draw the line of not part of the golf course / not OB?
  • ray9898ray9898 Members Posts: 791 ✭✭
    xjohnx wrote:

It is simple at most courses....the outside boundary.
  • mwkbmwmwkbmw Play. Fast. North CarolinaMembers Posts: 2,487 ✭✭
    teejaywhy wrote:
    mwkbmw wrote:

All of this talk about OB got me thinking. My home course has only one hole with no OB, and that is hole 8, a par 3. Holes 1, 7, 9, 10 and 17 have OB on one side. Holes 3 and 13 have OB one side and water on the other. Hole 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 18 have OB both sides.

Sounds awful.

mwkbmw wrote:

No wonder I suck.

Maybe you just suck at choosing good golf courses! image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />

LOL, true. The PGA Tour actually chose it for me. The Greater Greensboro Open (now the Wyndham), was played here from 1977 until they moved it back to Sedgefield in 2007. I bought my home here because of the tournament. (Any WRXer can understand that).

The reason for all the OB is that the course winds through the housing community.
    Ping i25 9* Tour Stiff
    Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
    Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
    Ping i25 5-UW
    Scotty Cameron Notchback
    Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58
    ray9898 wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

Maybe I should be more clear. If it's not marked OB and it's not on the card as OB you would play the shot with no penalty. If it's across the road or in someone's yard or again, the driving range, you're going to take the shot whether it's designed to be "part of the course" or not.
    xjohnx wrote:

ray9898 wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

Maybe I should be more clear. If it's not marked OB and it's not on the card as OB you would play the shot with no penalty. If it's across the road or in someone's yard or again, the driving range, you're going to take the shot whether it's designed to be "part of the course" or not.

I don't draw a line, the course does. Every course I have ever played at has clearly OB clearly marked or notated on the card (typically boundary roads and private property are noted on the card). Otherwise if its within the boundary of the course and not white staked why would you not play it if that is your best option?
    Krt22 wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

ray9898 wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

I don't draw a line, the course does. Every course I have ever played at has clearly OB clearly marked or notated on the card (typically boundary roads and private property are noted on the card). Otherwise if its within the boundary of the course and not white staked why would you not play it if that is your best option?

That's what I'm saying. These guys are talking about "part of the course" as if there is an asterisk next to the rules. There is OB, There are Hazards, And then there is everywhere else.
    xjohnx wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

ray9898 wrote:

xjohnx wrote:

That's what I'm saying. These guys are talking about "part of the course" as if there is an asterisk next to the rules. There is OB, There are Hazards, And then there is everywhere else.

I guess the most appropriate example I can think of is this. Let's say you go long over the 18th green. Your ball is across the pavement behind the green in some grass next to the clubhouse. Do you consider that "not part of the course" and penalize yourself, or do you try to get up and down for par?
    Unless its staked or otherwise notated on the card, I am going for a big ol flop shot for those watching from the 19th hole (ie skulling it back into the front bunker)
    Krt22 wrote:

Unless its staked or otherwise notated on the card, I am going for a big ol flop shot for those watching from the 19th hole (ie skulling it back into the front bunker)

But you'd totally hole the bunker shot for par. Just make sure someone is ready to throw the rake.