ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Why are players like Davis Love and Goosen still bothering with the tour?

2»

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Advanced Members Posts: 1,777 ✭✭
    andrieddle wrote:

And Phil might also start a course design company, who knows, he's a smart guy

"This layout and location is beautiful Mr. Mickelson, but why is every hole 285y and a hard dogleg left?"
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]taylormade_small_logo_blk.png M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || ksfSEag.png 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    SYalW6s.png XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X [/font]| | lfBLyra.png [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SQ2 13* Diamana [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Blueboard 83x[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]lfBLyra.png Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || lfBLyra.png [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]GY1PwYf.png Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || taylormade_small_logo_blk.png V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    iDRdfVu.png MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    iDRdfVu.png MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]iDRdfVu.png MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    jWakdRa.png Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    R9admPL.png SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind [/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1[/font]
    jWakdRa.png [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Special [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]ZSoHrb9.png Santa Fe Bullseye shaft
    WITB Thread
    [/font]
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Advanced Members Posts: 694 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

also had fusion surgery

Disc replacement I think, based on articles and what Tiger said in Valspar interview. Still . . .
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Advanced Members Posts: 623
    edited March 2018
    Outlier wrote:

Those players on the champions tour do not make a load more money. The purse for their current tournament is $1.8mil. Valspar is $6.5mil. John Daly has made $80k this year. Goosen has made over $200k.

Look at you with all the actual facts and stuff. The Champions tour is a total farce.

I think it depends on the player (and a better comparison is players who split time between both tours). In 2017 & 18, Vijay, Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly have made more per start on the Champions Tour (110 K, 115 K & 79 K) than the PGA Tour (16 K, 76 K & 19 K)

Edit- Bob Estes also, ~34 K per Sr start vs 5+ K per PGA start.

Do you think Daly would be better off playing more on the regular tour?? In 22 Champions starts in 2017-18 he has made over 870 K while he has only made 12 K in 6 regular Tour starts...facts, funny how they can be presented...
    Golfing when I can.
  • cwglumcwglum Advanced Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    DLIII has career exemption for 20 wins, Goosen is a past champion at Innisbrook.

If you compare top-20 finishes on both sides ... good golf on PGA tour pays a lot more than Champions Tour.

T-16th at PGA Valspar = $77,295.00

T-18th at Champions Toshiba = $24,615.00
  • 94009400 Advanced Members Posts: 109 ✭✭

starsail85 wrote:

Last few times I've turned on the tv goosen has been up near the lead ?

When's the last time you turned on your tv? 2013?

Retief Goosen was T2 at the 2017 Puerto Rico Open and T12 at Torrey just weeks ago...

Granted he's certainly not playing to his previous form but he isn't exactly a ghost either.
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Advanced Members Posts: 623
    edited March 2018
    cwglum wrote:

DLIII has career exemption for 20 wins, Goosen is a past champion at Innisbrook.

If you compare top-20 finishes on both sides ... good golf on PGA tour pays a lot more than Champions Tour.

Yes, but is it easier or harder to to finish t16 on PGA Tour or t18 on the Champions tour? My guess is it takes better golf for the t16 so you are really comparing apples and kumquats.

I'd love to ask Stricker if he thought he played better or worse at Valspar (when he finished t12 and won 131 K beating the likes of Adam Scott, Snedeker, Kuchar, Spieth, McIlroy, Stenson, etc.or the week before at the Cologard Classic (when he was 1st winning 255 K beating the likes of Jerry Kelly, Gene Sauers, Scott Dunlap, etc.) Bob Estes also played in both events, finishing 6 back of Stricker at Valspar and 4 behind at Cologard. Both Stricker and Estes won more $ on the Champions Tour, but I'm not convinced they played better.
    Golfing when I can.
  • grm24grm24 Advanced Members Posts: 2,906 ✭✭
    andrieddle wrote:

And Phil might also start a course design company, who knows, he's a smart guy.
    He already has a golf course design company. He was in the running to redesign Torrey Pines North a few years back.

https://philmickelson.com/design-overview/
  • grm24grm24 Advanced Members Posts: 2,906 ✭✭
    cwglum wrote:

Goosen is playing this season on a PGA Tour Top 50 Career Earnings exemption.
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Advanced Members Posts: 17,988 ✭✭
    surprised no one has mentioned sponsor money yet. visibility on the pgatour is likely 10x that of the champions tour. more visibility = more money.

anyway, based on my own advancing years, i certainly enjoy it when the old fogies are hanging in there with the young'uns, that's for sure.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • BB28403BB28403 Advanced Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭
    sonnygolf wrote:
    They rarely make cuts. They would be better off playing on the Champions Tour and making a load of more money and playing with old buddies such as Lehman, Mediate, Daly, Monty, Parnevik, O'Meara...etc.

Oh wow that's such a mean question!

Davis Love won the Wyndham not 3 years ago in Greensboro. Older and Wiser will always be relevant and always in power. Why are most US senators 70 and over? You have to pay your dues.
  • KarstenKKarstenK Hey Chopper, what you hitting there? Advanced Members Posts: 1,248 ✭✭
    Cuz they can still finish above Mike Weir.
    Ping G400 LST Tour 75/Callaway Epic SZ Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway BBA 816 16* Diamana S+ 70
    Callaway X2Hot 19* KBS hybrid steel
    Ping i210 4-U PX LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM6 S 54*, Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*
    Byron DH89/Bettinardi QB8/SC Studio Select Midslant NP2/Ping Ketsch
  • BNGLBNGL Advanced Members Posts: 1,527 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

I have an image in my head of Goosen getting turned away with a fake ID as he tries to get into a Champions Tour event...come back next year son!

1) I am not a davis fan

Any particular reason that you would expand on?

Nah but my points are no fanboy posts regarding why I believe a player like him would still pursue the regular tour. Mostly, he has earned it

See thats reasonable. i marveled at his length in the early-mid 90s. Watching him majestic 1 irons on the range was very impressive. Like you, not a fan but hes earned it. 21 wins and a major is nothing to sneeze at

If you're talking about Goosen, he has two majors. Shinnecock and Southern Hills US Opens.
  • 3jacker3jacker Advanced Members Posts: 560
    They do it for the strange.

Road p$$y is the best p$$y.
    Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
    TM V-Steel 4wd Protopype 80X
    Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW KBS C-Taper X
    Cleveland 52*/58* CG10 KBS C-Taper X
    Sizemore XB-1
  • ex0dusex0dus Advanced Members Posts: 466
    Nicklaus won 8 senior majors. He didn't stop playing until he was 63. If he did it I am not sure why Tiger and Phil wouldn't.
    Cobra King Ltd Pro
    Nike SQ2 13*
    Mizuno MP630 clk hybrid 20*
    Bstone J40 DPC 4 iron
    Cleveland 588 mb 5-pw
    Ping Gorge wedges 56*, 52*
    Cally Mack Daddy PM grind 60*
    Machine adjuster putter
    Bridgestone 330 ball
2»