Augusta members.

Are there any members on the forum who are members of the beautiful Masters Course?

I'm intrigued to know what it's like when the Masters isn't being played there.

What happens in medals?

Is the course closed for any great length of time to keep it pristine?

If you are a member, roughly how many months a year can you get on the course to play etc etc etc

Comments

• IcemanYVRIcemanYVR Amateur Vancouver, BCMembers Posts: 1,115 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #2
    I'm sure if someone on WRX was a member, they would NEVER let it be known.

The course closes about a week or two after the Masters and doesn't reopen until October. The grasses on the course die in the summer and can't handle the southern heat. It makes me wonder how the course always looks pristine on Google satellite view. I'm sure the powers that be have arranged something with the Alphabet company.

Members can play October to March (the course closes to prep for the Masters) and reports are that on any given weekday there are 3-4 members out on the course.
    Titleist 905R 9.5° | Callaway Diable Octane Tour 15° | Callaway Hawkeye VFT 18° | Mizuno JPX-825 4-PW | Cleveland RTX-3 54 | Cleveland RTX-3 60 | Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Studio Select | Titleist PRO V1
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I know a member through business (not well) that hasn't been a member long. He is a CEO of a large company. His comment to me was that it is different than any other clubs you belong to. It is all about hosting people primarily and that he has only played with other members a couple of times. I didn't ask him about too much because I hope he invites me one day and I didn't want to push my luck early in getting to know him.
  • cardozacardoza Members Posts: 1,193 ✭✭
    Some good insight on the TG2 podcast a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.golfwrx.com/506710/whats-it-like-to-play-augusta-national-as-an-average-golfer/
    Taylormade M4 8.5* - Matrix MFS Black Tie 70X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 13.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 83X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 18* - Accra 380 M5
    TitleistAP2 3-PW - KBS Tour 130X
    Callaway MD4 52* W Grind and 58* X Grind - DG X100
    Black Lab BL2 35" Super Stroke Pistol GT Tour
  • maga_golfermaga_golfer Members Posts: 370 ✭✭
    edited Apr 13, 2018 #5
    IcemanYVR wrote:

The course closes about a week or two after the Masters and doesn't reopen until October. The grasses on the course die in the summer and can't handle the southern heat. It makes me wonder how the course always looks pristine on Google satellite view. I'm sure the powers that be have arranged something with the Alphabet company.

Members can play October to March (the course closes to prep for the Masters) and reports are that on any given weekday there are 3-4 members out on the course.

Course closes in May the week before Memorial Day, but the October date for open is correct. Course doesn't close for prep as members have access to play even on the Sunday before practice rounds begin (DCP day). By that point though, they will be playing with the pros and/or their families, other guests and other members. I know Bubba had his wife playing on the Sunday prior a couple years ago with one of the members.
  • nealkbnealkb Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Makes me wonder, are people members of AGNC for the golf course or more for the exclusivity/high society/networking?
    White R1 Graffaloy Bimatrix Pink Stiff
    XHOT Pro 3W
    XHOT Pro 3h XHOT (4-5H)
    6-A XHot w SpeedStep 85 Stiff
    MP-4 54 +58, SM-4 64
    Scotty
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    nealkb wrote:

Makes me wonder, are people members of AGNC for the golf course or more for the exclusivity/high society/networking?

Exactly my thoughts. I guess if you can afford it and playing regular golf is not THAT important, then why not.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    nealkb wrote:

I think that the people who are able to join view it partly as a career achievement award, partly as an opportunity to be a steward of the game they love, and partly as an obligation to their company's potential guests (clients, vendors, whatever).

Ginni Rometty's GHIN is brutal - her lowest score, with ESC applied, is 105. And she hasn't posted a score in 5 years. So not exactly an avid golfer...But as the CEO of IBM, she has an obligation to the company to entertain valuable prospects at ANGC if possible, so she's a member.

There are undoubtedly local and legacy members who are there purely for their love of the course and the game, but they're the exception rather than the rule.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,179 ✭✭
    I'd be shocked if every member isn't a member of at least 2-3 other clubs on the low end and perhaps 12 or more on the high end. This isn't a place to play as your daily and thus the "national" in the name. Getting in, has to be such a long term schmoozing/impressing courtship that heads of companies are put in a position to meet other heads of companies, which leads to an invite eventually I would imagine.

I'd be happy with PV, CP, or Seminole which no doubt shares a couple dozens members. Someday, some of us posting here on this board could get an invite to play with a member as God has a plan.
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,946 ✭✭
    First rule of Aug Nat: you don’t talk about Aug Nat.
  • mmckee02mmckee02 Members Posts: 291 ✭✭
    I'd imagine it's more along the "guest factory" model, just not a lot of play in general.
  • hrmgolf72hrmgolf72 hrmgolf Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    IcemanYVR wrote:

I saw a few years ago that google earth had a pic of ANGC on their site that was taken in the summer. brown as can be and ANGC made them remove it and put a perminent picture up which i would guess was taken sometime around april
  • GolfnuckGolfnuck Members Posts: 598 ✭✭
    edited Apr 19, 2018 #14
    dcfas wrote:

Wow Golf Digest had some real balls to post that article.

Surprised one of the Augusta members or their company has not purchased GD and taken it off-line permanently.
  • MatsuiMatsui Dallas, TXMembers Posts: 158 ✭✭
    You don't get invited and join Augusta National so you can play a lot of golf there.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,091 ✭✭
    If I wanted to be a member of somewhere strictly for the golf it wouldn't be ANGC. If given the opportunity to be a member anywhere it would be Cypress, Pine Valley, Seminole, Shinnecock, ANGC in that order. I feel like being a member of ANGC is more about the prestige than it is about the golf.
  • EastPhillyReppinEastPhillyReppin Members Posts: 249
    This thread makes me laugh!!! I don't think any Augusta member has ever even been on this site let alone joined. Members at the top level clubs tend to be very private so that people don't harass them for invites and ask dumb questions about the place.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,091 ✭✭

This thread makes me laugh!!! I don't think any Augusta member has ever even been on this site let alone joined. Members at the top level clubs tend to be very private so that people don't harass them for invites and ask dumb questions about the place.

It is not unheard of.. I have a buddy who is a member of Chicago Golf Club who is on here all the time. Not quite Augusta, but it is still up there. You don't like the poster's question just move on.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,179 ✭✭

How the **** do you know? Members of prestigious clubs are people just like me and you. They like talking golf like me and you. I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps a member has posted on this site. It is a very large community after all.
  • raynorfan1raynorfan1 Members Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    mci711 wrote:

It is not unheard of.. I have a buddy who is a member of Chicago Golf Club who is on here all the time. Not quite Augusta, but it is still up there. You don't like the poster's question just move on.

I think Golfwrx has pretty good representation among Top ~20 courses. It would surprise me if there was not at least one ANGC member who was also a Golfwrx member.
  • EastPhillyReppinEastPhillyReppin Members Posts: 249
    Schley wrote:

How the **** do you know? Members of prestigious clubs are people just like me and you. They like talking golf like me and you. I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps a member has posted on this site. It is a very large community after all.

Your right. I don't know anything about prestigious clubs and I have never met any members from those clubs. I will let you get back to posting with the elite members on here. Post your pictures when you get the Augusta invite from posting in this thread!!!
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,379 ✭✭
    raynorfan1 wrote:
    mci711 wrote:

I think Golfwrx has pretty good representation among Top ~20 courses. It would surprise me if there was not at least one ANGC member who was also a Golfwrx member.

Probably the guy in BST selling practice round tickets for $3 g’s
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,379 ✭✭
    raynorfan1 wrote:
    mci711 wrote:

Probably the guy in BST selling practice round tickets for $3 g’s
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,270 ClubWRX
    Don’t knock on the members of golfwrx. There are some exclusive clubs they belong to.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • NolesNoles Members Posts: 1,434 ✭✭

Schley wrote:

Your right. I don't know anything about prestigious clubs and I have never met any members from those clubs. I will let you get back to posting with the elite members on here. Post your pictures when you get the Augusta invite from posting in this thread!!!
    No one suggested getting an invite to play from a thread...and where the **** is East Philly?
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    Iknow of two members at ANGC that at least peruse the site and one masters champion who peruses as well
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,270 ClubWRX
    Noles wrote:

Schley wrote:

No one suggested getting an invite to play from a thread...and where the **** is East Philly?

I'm sure that's Jersey for short.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    BNGL wrote:

Iknow of two members at ANGC that at least peruse the site and one masters champion who peruses as well

And I can say with 100% certainty that I know of a CPC member that does the same or at least did for quite some time. I don’t think he has ever posted however.

Remember that a lot of the guys that belong to these clubs now are in the tech world. They grew up on the internet and they use it like everyone else.

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,558 ✭✭
    jerebear21 wrote:

Don't knock on the members of golfwrx. There are some exclusive clubs they belong to.

yup
    Long Live Nike
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,227 ✭✭
    az2au wrote:

BNGL wrote:

And I can say with 100% certainty that I know of a CPC member that does the same or at least did for quite some time. I don’t think he has ever posted however.

Remember that a lot of the guys that belong to these clubs now are in the tech world. They grew up on the internet and they use it like everyone else.

So there is this member of ANGC by the name of Bill Gates. I hear he know a bit about computers.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, HW
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • knickerbockerknickerbocker Pipe Dreamer Members Posts: 3,345 ✭✭
    I talked to a member last year at Berckman's Place for about 10 minutes. He said he plays the course 5 - 6 times a year and always with guests.
    9* G LST w/ Aldila Rogue Silver i/o 60
    14* Callaway XR Pro w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70
    20* Callaway XR Pro Hybrid
    Taylormade p790 4 - GW with Modus Tour 120
    Taylormade Milled Grind Antique Bronze 54 and 58 with Modus Tour 120
    Putter: Scotty Cameron GOLO3
    WITB Link