Your Golf Stereotype

12345679»

Comments

• MetaGolferMetaGolfer Banned Posts: 10
    FourTops wrote:

Stereotype depends on age....my older folks say Quadraphonic stereo.

Now this is something I can identify with...LOL!
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 650 ✭✭
    BIG STU wrote:

FourTops wrote:

Stereotype depends on age....my older folks say Quadraphonic stereo.
    LOL I am old enough to know what Quadraphonic stereo or quad as we used to call it is image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

my buddy's system was a Harmon Kardon. I remember when we hooked it up and played the setup record.

'this is speaker one, this is speaker two, this is speaker three......'
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • SwampratSwamprat Members Posts: 26
    The Lone Ranger- I hit 2 big buckets in a practice session about 3 days a week, and a large bucket to warm up before i play> lately, my on course play is showing great improvement, so I have been playing more than practicing. I guess all that practice is paying off
  • BallgofarboyBallgofarboy Old man Members Posts: 1,485 ✭✭
    Normally I am the youngster in any group I get in and I am 60.

That being said, ready golf is the key for any round. Honors, yeah they are nice but not worth slowing down the round.
    Callaway XR 9.5 degree
    Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
    NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
    Callaway Razr Tour Irons
    50 degree Volkey
    WITB Link
    58 degree cleveland
    52 degree Sixron
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    If you aren't ready to play your shot by the time your cart partner (if driving) has hit theirs, I will quietly angry at you all day. I can understand slow play due to skill level but waiting in the cart while they hit and then going to your ball or having to find it and taking double time grinds my gears
  • kp6622kp6622 Members Posts: 31
    jaw1978 wrote:

Have an anxiety attack when my caddie bangs my headcover-less putter around with the other clubs he is carrying. It is not a 6 year old model in mint condition accidentally buddy!

I'm the same way with woods - full panic mode when a caddie is grabbing the pin in one hand with 2 headcover-less drivers and a couple wedges or putters in the other trying to clumsily exchange them with me or the guy I'm playing with. I'd rather take the cover off myself than risk a giant mark on it.
    Titleist 917D3 - 8.5 (7.75) - Diamana 70 D+ Limited Edition X
    Titleist 917F2 - 16.5 (15.75) - Diamana 80 D+ Limited Edition X
    PXG 0311T 3-W - KBS $-Taper 130
    PXG 0311T 50, 54, 58
    Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City
  • RebbuttRebbutt Members Posts: 16
    I’m optimistic I’ll break 80 every round but typically shoot 10-12 over from tips due to short game woes. Really appreciate rounds under 2.5 hrs.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Big Bertha 816 Alpha 10.5* - Big Bertha Fusion 15* - Cleveland Classic 2H 19.5* - PSi 4-PW KBS Tour S - TM Milled Grind 52/56/60 - Odyssey O-works #1 [/font]
  • vokiedokievokiedokie Members Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I don't even know if this is a stereotype, but I'm the guy who recently got into golf and is drowning in research whether it be about clubs, technique, courses, etc.

Love watching, reading, and practicing to get better and I'm still AWFUL, but I love it, haha.
    Driver | Callaway Epic 9.5*
    3W | Callaway Epic SZ 15*
    3H | Callaway Rogue 19*
    Irons 4-PW | Callaway Apex CF16
    Wedges | Titleist Vokey SM7 (50*, 54*, 60*)
    Putter | Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball | TBD
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 709 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 8:34am #250
    A few things to describe me:

1. I take my golf seriously. No drinking. I’m ok with talking but let’s also get to the point and play already

2. I’m “fast-ish”...I’m always ready to play my shot, but I do have my routine quirks and like to enjoy my time out there. I’m quick to pull the trigger on my shot though...probably too quick.

3. I’m the biggest self-critic that ever walked the face of the earth. After any bad shots I will be quietly muttering to myself the most vile and damning insults about my intelligence, golf game, intestinal fortitude, sexual orientation, etc etc. It’s not a good thing and I wish I could stop, but it is who I am and I have to try to deal with it as best I can.

4. I’m way too analytical. I am an analyst by trade, so it is also who I am. Every result has some deeper meaning, every good swing has some reason, every bad swing too...and I’m constantly trying to figure it out. It has the possibility of being a good thing, but hasn’t manifested that way for me yet. It causes me to change swings practically every time I hit a bad shot. I can’t shut it off, but I at least don’t let it paralyze my decision making.

5. I’m very knowledgeable about all things golf...history, equipment, players, courses, swing theories, etc etc. People don’t often want to hear much of it, so I kinda have to keep it to myself and just smile knowingly when they start spouting off about some golf topic.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • blarkin97blarkin97 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2019 10:28am #251
    Swamprat wrote:

The Lone Ranger- I hit 2 big buckets in a practice session about 3 days a week, and a large bucket to warm up before i play> lately, my on course play is showing great improvement, so I have been playing more than practicing. I guess all that practice is paying off

Be careful as soon as you think all the practice is paying off and you start playing more instead of practicing the game slips again and its hard to figure out why.

Happens to me at the end of every summer. I stop practicing and just play and my golf game slips back down to where I was at the end of the year before after all of my "improvement" earlier in the year lol
    PING G400 9* Stiff
    Callaway XR 16 3W 15*
    Adams Idea Super 3H 19*
    PING i210 AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Cleveland CBX 54* & 58* TT Wedge Flex

Odyssey O-Works Black 1 34" OR O-Works Black #3T 34"
  • blarkin97blarkin97 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Seems like almost everybody on here has the problems with slow play.

I don't have much patience either for the people in front of me who take 5 practice swings on every shot and putt just to duff it or miss 3 feet wide right on a putt. Especially when you are trying to get in a twilight round after work and play as much as possible and get stuck behind the people who are ok with golfing 6 holes from 5pm-dark

I have a lot of patience when it comes to outbursts on the course but my patience wears thin towards the end of the year

Can't stop trying to tinker with my swing. I find something that works for 2 weeks and then is seemingly gone and on to the next thing. Have to stop and just go with the flow maybe it would make me a better golfer
    PING G400 9* Stiff
    Callaway XR 16 3W 15*
    Adams Idea Super 3H 19*
    PING i210 AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Cleveland CBX 54* & 58* TT Wedge Flex

Odyssey O-Works Black 1 34" OR O-Works Black #3T 34"
  • PedronNiallPedronNiall Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    edited Mar 17, 2019 12:35am #253
    I cannot hit, chip, putt, or play without polo/slacks/shorts/golf shoes/etc. I have to be in my golf uniform if I'm going to the course. Got golf etiquette drilled in during the junior programs and tournaments and it dies hard. Even when I'd go to Putt-Putt or whatever because some friends wanted to knock around balls at 10:30 on a Friday night I would show up in full kit.

I could let the shoe bit slide if absolutely all I'm doing is putting and chipping around for a few, but if I'm having a real session I have to be suited up. Friends, others out practicing, and randos I get paired with can wear whatever the course allows if there's leeway, but I can't do it halfway, hah. I guess the thing for me is that I always have fun out there, but I'm also always serious about it.

Also, I'm definitely "the fixture" at one of my local courses where I practice. If I come in to get balls the guys in the shop pretty much have them ready before I get up there. It's not unusual for them to head out at the end of the evening knowing I'm hitting until the very last light fades or even practicing full swing or short game under the lights during fall/ winter. None of them are ever surprised to see me and people I've never talked to or noticed regularly end up commenting about how they thought they'd probably see me that day. I guess I'm addicted and I love it.
  • tommgtommg Members Posts: 137 ✭✭
    I’m the guy that has finally accepted the fact that he is a bogey golfer. Go out to have a good time with good friends. Play good, shoot 88. Play bad shoot 92. As we’ve aged most of my gang are the same, we all used to be single digit. Still competitive though. Play ready golf, might have a beer or two, seldom spend 30 seconds looking for a ball. Golf course is my happy place. Peaceful Easy Feeling
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX

Is lack of a stereotype a stereotype?
    I’m a pretty “blah” person. About as ordinary as you can get. I seriously doubt that after playing a round with someone they’ll really be able to remember much. I’m very polite, but won’t talk much, nothing special game or attire wise. I won’t make your round memorable, for anything good or bad.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 MOMembers Posts: 823 ✭✭

@PedronNiall said:
    I cannot hit, chip, putt, or play without polo/slacks/shorts/golf shoes/etc. I have to be in my golf uniform if I'm going to the course. Got golf etiquette drilled in during the junior programs and tournaments and it dies hard. Even when I'd go to Putt-Putt or whatever because some friends wanted to knock around balls at 10:30 on a Friday night I would show up in full kit.

I could let the shoe bit slide if absolutely all I'm doing is putting and chipping around for a few, but if I'm having a real session I have to be suited up. Friends, others out practicing, and randos I get paired with can wear whatever the course allows if there's leeway, but I can't do it halfway, hah. I guess the thing for me is that I always have fun out there, but I'm also always serious about it.

Also, I'm definitely "the fixture" at one of my local courses where I practice. If I come in to get balls the guys in the shop pretty much have them ready before I get up there. It's not unusual for them to head out at the end of the evening knowing I'm hitting until the very last light fades or even practicing full swing or short game under the lights during fall/ winter. None of them are ever surprised to see me and people I've never talked to or noticed regularly end up commenting about how they thought they'd probably see me that day. I guess I'm addicted and I love it.

I think we may be twins haha. I won't even go to the local driving range with the car in the middle of it without putting the full outfit on.

I'm also "never satisfied"... Always something in my game I'm tinkering with on my never-ending quest to having a solid game.

GO DAWGS
  • LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 681 ✭✭
    edited Mar 25, 2019 2:28pm #257

I'm the tinkerer for sure... I'm always trying different equipment in search of that holy grail set, knowing d*mn well I'll probably still replace it even if I do find that set :D

Ping G410 tensei orange 60s
    Taylormade M5 5w GD AD-IZ6s 19°
    Titleist 910H GD AD-DI 95s 28°
    Taylormade P790 Modus 125x (4-AW)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge shimada tour black 54° & 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • The Real PacmanThe Real Pacman Members Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm the guy who shows up with a new putter every other round that I proclaim is great and "going to stay in the bag for a while" only to change it again within a couple rounds.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,517 ✭✭

enough said..

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • Grizz06Grizz06 Members Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm the guy having two beers before each round... It puts me in the right head space

• StrömsborgStrömsborg StockholmMembers Posts: 518 ✭✭

I'm the guy who always plays below his standards, always thinking and often saying out loud that I'm way better than this and cannot understand why this now six years long slump never ends.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    MacGregor MT Pro DW 52, 56, 60­°
    Ping Piper S

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hmmm, my stereotype would be the self-critical perfectionist, verbal-outbursting nutjob kind of golfer. Mostly I get range rage but also on the course I call myself things I would never lay upon another human being...ever. If I'm really steaming I'll fall back behind everybody walking to their second shot and mutter away that I'm a POS and the dumbest human being on the earth, etc, etc. Everyone I've ever played with has surely heard me mutter "stupid f'n arm swing...f***!!!"

And since this is an anonymous online forum I'll give you the complete grisly details - nowadays, because I can't unleash a huge verbal tirade (which would feel great and put an end to the rage instantly), things have gotten physical. It began with a couple open hand whacks to the side of the head but has now grown into something severely f'd up.
    Driver face to the upper forehead leading to blood dripping down my face while I continue to hit balls? Check
    Closed fist to the right side of my head, leading to lump forming above my temple? Check
    Multiple, fierce and rapidly delivered open hand slaps to the face (always right side) leading to swollen eyebrow region? Check
    I used to break equipment like crazy but now I just break my face to keep the costs down. :p

I've made a point to calm the F down recently...well, like this last couple weeks at least. The fact that I do this when there's other people around is truly shocking. If there's someone swinging next to me then I'm relatively good and calm but if they're like 4 or 5 stalls away, it's frickin on with the self harm.

I'll be the first golfer diagnosed with CTE from suffering too many blows to the head in practice. And definitely the last!!

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Works blade
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 683 ✭✭

@Edward_Majorwin said:
    Hmmm, my stereotype would be the self-critical perfectionist, verbal-outbursting nutjob kind of golfer. Mostly I get range rage but also on the course I call myself things I would never lay upon another human being...ever. If I'm really steaming I'll fall back behind everybody walking to their second shot and mutter away that I'm a POS and the dumbest human being on the earth, etc, etc. Everyone I've ever played with has surely heard me mutter "stupid f'n arm swing...f***!!!"

And since this is an anonymous online forum I'll give you the complete grisly details - nowadays, because I can't unleash a huge verbal tirade (which would feel great and put an end to the rage instantly), things have gotten physical. It began with a couple open hand whacks to the side of the head but has now grown into something severely f'd up.
    Driver face to the upper forehead leading to blood dripping down my face while I continue to hit balls? Check
    Closed fist to the right side of my head, leading to lump forming above my temple? Check
    Multiple, fierce and rapidly delivered open hand slaps to the face (always right side) leading to swollen eyebrow region? Check
    I used to break equipment like crazy but now I just break my face to keep the costs down. :p

I've made a point to calm the F down recently...well, like this last couple weeks at least. The fact that I do this when there's other people around is truly shocking. If there's someone swinging next to me then I'm relatively good and calm but if they're like 4 or 5 stalls away, it's frickin on with the self harm.

I'll be the first golfer diagnosed with CTE from suffering too many blows to the head in practice. And definitely the last!!

If this is actually true it's no laughing matter. Speechless
    You don't need a psychiatrist u need a team of psychiatrists.

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

• monty09monty09 Members Posts: 234 ✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019 6:20pm #264

bad drive, bad iron, good chip, study par putt for 4 minutes.. make or miss par putt... tap in for bogey and move on laughing...

have a blast and shoot a 84 or 90... pretty much looks and feels the same

is happy go lucky a stereotype?

Post edited by monty09 on
  • asofineasofine Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

@monty09 said:
    bad drive, bad iron, good chip, study par putt for 4 minutes.. make or miss par putt... tap in for bogey and move on laughing...

have a blast and shoot a 84 or 90... pretty looks and feels the same

This is almost me to a "tee: ;)

My summary, with some stats directly from GHIN:
    Ugly driver trajectory (low pull fade), but ball makes it out there 220-250 and in the fairway 55% of the time
    Decent iron shot (low trajectory, the longer the club, the more fade-y), average 6.2 GIRs/rd, misses mostly short right
    Great chip a good majority of the time
    Grind on the first putt for a minute, make it 33.7% of the time, average 30.6 putts/rd
    Average score 81.08, with a range from 75-91

All the while, I'm thrilled to be on the course.

• monty09monty09 Members Posts: 234 ✭✭

@asofine said:

@monty09 said:

have a blast and shoot a 84 or 90... pretty looks and feels the same

This is almost me to a "tee: ;)

My summary, with some stats directly from GHIN:
    Ugly driver trajectory (low pull fade), but ball makes it out there 220-250 and in the fairway 55% of the time
    Decent iron shot (low trajectory, the longer the club, the more fade-y), average 6.2 GIRs/rd, misses mostly short right
    Great chip a good majority of the time
    Grind on the first putt for a minute, make it 33.7% of the time, average 30.6 putts/rd
    Average score 81.08, with a range from 75-91

All the while, I'm thrilled to be on the course.

yup. agree 100%

• LCGALBERTALCGALBERTA Members Posts: 75 ✭✭

My stereotype would be made up of:

1. Always about 1 hour early to warm up
    2. Mr. Strategic on the course - hmm 6 iron off tee will leave me with a wedge but I must hit to the left to give myself a good angle in... lol
    3. No alcohol when playing
    4. MUST CLEAN CLUB AFTER I TAKE MY SHOT...DIRTY CLUBS ARE A BIG NO NO IN MY BAG LOL.
    5. Hate slow play for sure haha
    Mizuno ST190 Driver 9.5*
    Taylormade 2016 M2 3 wood 15*
    Taylormade 2016 M1 Hybrid 18*
    Taylormade PSI Forged 4-PW
    Taylormade TP EF blk 52*
    Taylormade TP EF blk 56*
    Taylormade TP EF blk 60*
    Odyssey White Hot RX #2
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭
    edited May 16, 2019 11:09pm #268

The what could have been rascal

Basically if my hips didn’t break.

:)

Cobra LTD Pro - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    TM M2 Tour 3W/3HL - Black Tie 80M4-X
    P790 UDI #2  or  TP UDI #3 - Black Tie HM4 105X   
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*)  Nike VR Forged (56DS)  Cleveland RTX2 raw (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

Swap:
    XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X  | Rogue SZ 3+ - Diamana B 80X  | Bridgestone XD-H #2 - Speeder TS 9.8X