Pat Perez irons?

Looking through some photos for the QBE Shootout and I notice Pat Perez is still using Gen 1 irons? And not the tours either? Is this correct or are these something besides regular 0311's with different stamping? I've really been considering a set with the current pricing on the Gen 1's but I haven't pulled the trigger because I felt like they might offer the Gen 2's at a better price once all the old stock is gone. If there's not enough improvement for him to switch that might be the push I needed..

Comments

• BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,058 ✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #2
    Perez and Johnson both use GEN1 irons. They are fine irons with a softer metal construction than the GEN2.

The majority of the staff however has moved to the new GEN2 irons, both PGA and LPGA staff.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 10.5* (9.5*), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13* (14.5*), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18* (17.0*), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19* (20.0*), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #2 DI, KBS TGI 100 X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50* Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

• osubuckeyes691osubuckeyes691 Members Posts: 909 ✭✭
    We're you fit for the irons or just want them bc you want pxg? I hit them for quite a while at a fitting and found there's numerous brands that I personally hit more consistently and thought felt better. Obviously a lot cheaper too.

Can't recommend fittings enough
    Taylormade M3 8.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX / Cobra F9 9* Avalance - Fujikura Ventus 7x
    Taylormade 2016 M2 Deep Face 14* - Tensei Blue 90TX
    Hybrid / Driving Iron - TBD
    Srixon 745 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130x softstepped 1x
    Vokey 50* F Grind - KBS C Taper 130
    Vokey Wedgeworks 54V grind - KBS C Taper 130
    Vokey Wedgeworks 60K, low bounce - KBS C Taper 130
    Evnroll ER1.2 Armlock w/ Stability Shaft
  • PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
    Hacker541 wrote:

Looking through some photos for the QBE Shootout and I notice Pat Perez is still using Gen 1 irons? And not the tours either? Is this correct or are these something besides regular 0311's with different stamping? I've really been considering a set with the current pricing on the Gen 1's but I haven't pulled the trigger because I felt like they might offer the Gen 2's at a better price once all the old stock is gone. If there's not enough improvement for him to switch that might be the push I needed..

Correct. So Sharp looking in black
  • veebs007xveebs007x Members, Sponsors Posts: 311 ✭✭
    I am a +4.5 handicap and have worked in R&D/Tour department for a major OEM (trying to validate myself for the comment to follow)...i would NEVER buy the current club offering from a company....i know this comment will get blasted but I would always play the previous generation of clubs if I was paying retail.
  • thewralthewral Boston, MAMembers Posts: 265 ✭✭
    veebs007x wrote:

I am a +4.5 handicap and have worked in R&D/Tour department for a major OEM (trying to validate myself for the comment to follow)...i would NEVER buy the current club offering from a company....i know this comment will get blasted but I would always play the previous generation of clubs if I was paying retail.

What do you mean? Is this a cost issue or a performance issue? Both?

I have both the GEN1s and GEN2s, and honestly I can't tell a difference. Maybe the GEN2s look and feel a touch better, but it's subjective.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5*, Accra TZ6 M5
    Ping G410 14.5*, Ping Tour X

Ping G410 2 Hybrid 17*, Tensei Blue 80HY X
    Srixon 785 4-P, PXLZ 6.5
    Fourteen RM-22 Tour 50*, 54*, 58*, Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,117 ✭✭
    Many pros don't like to change out equipment once they get used to them. It needs to be way better than what they're using to make the change.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • KaexoKaexo Members Posts: 671 ✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #8
    Perez and Johnson both used GEN2s for awhile but like James Hahn they all 3 have went back to gen 1s.

Perez plays the normal 0311s and XF in a 3 iron.

The Gen1s perform just as good as the Gen 2s. The gen2s have a slightly different look but performance is marginal at best.
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 370 ✭✭
    Hacker541 wrote:

You really need a push from a PGA tour pro? You’re really basing your extremely expensive financial decision on which iron works best for a PGA pro? His definition of an "improvement" is probably completely different than yours. Pat probably hasn’t switched because he’s used to his current PXG’s....he’s not looking for something "better".....the guy is a great striker and he knows his yardages and gapping...
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • KMo23KMo23 Members Posts: 136 ✭✭
    Hacker

Gen 2’s won’t go down in price until Gen 3’s come out (whenever that will be as we waited three years for 2’s) PP plays a combo set of XF and 0311 no T irons.

Personally I prefer the feel on Gen 1’s and switched from 2’s back to 1’s.
  • Rig14PortRig14Port Members Posts: 750 ✭✭

We're you fit for the irons or just want them bc you want pxg? I hit them for quite a while at a fitting and found there's numerous brands that I personally hit more consistently and thought felt better. Obviously a lot cheaper too.

Can't recommend fittings enough

This is a new one... a backhanded PXG hate post.
    Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
    TM '17 M2 Tour 15* HZRDUS Smoke 80 6.5
    TM 17' M1 Rescue 19* Aldila ATX Green 105 TX
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4-PW KBS Tour X
    Vokey SM7 Raw @ 51*, 55*, 59* KBS Tour Black Nickel
    Toulon Memphis H4
  • dommerdommer Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭
    PP fits the PXG brand/bill well, surprised he isn’t playing the Gen2’s as I would have thought he would have some influence in the development of the new stuff.
    Driver: Taylormade M4 7* / EvenFlow Black 65 6.0
    Fairway: Callaway Epic 14* / Nippon 950 FW X
    3 Iron: Callaway X-Forged UT 21* / Constant CPM
    5-PW: Mizuno MP18 / Constant CPM
    48, 54: Wilson FG Tour PMP / Constant CPM
    60, 66: Callaway MD PM / Constant CPM
    Putter: Swag Handsome One "Tour Proto"
    Ball: TP5X
  • ssfrannyssfranny Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    BirdieBob wrote:

Perez and Johnson both use GEN1 irons. They are fine irons with a softer metal construction than the GEN2.

The majority of the staff however has moved to the new GEN2 irons, both PGA and LPGA staff.

Your last name isn't Parsons is it? image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Kaexo wrote:

Perez and Johnson both used GEN2s for awhile but like James Hahn they all 3 have went back to gen 1s.

The Gen1s perform just as good as the Gen 2s. The gen2s have a slightly different look but performance is marginal at best.
    Kaexo wrote:

The Gen2 0311P look slightly smaller and less offset albeit minimal than the Gen1s
    veebs007x wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

Meaning not a substantial difference in performance to justify cost. IE TItleist 714 to 716 to 718 is there anything different?
  • evansmar004evansmar004 Members Posts: 76
    I feel like anything at this point performs the same between generations. All marketing and sales.
  • soap1984soap1984 Members Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I also got Gen 2s and went back to the Gen 1 irons. Can't explain why but I just got used to the Gen 1s and so never settled in with the new ones.
    M2- Hzrdus Black 6.0
    0341x 3 wood
    19 degree 0317 and G400 22 degree hybrids
    0311T Gen2 5 -w (KBS C-taper lite)
    0311t 52, 56, 60 (Romeo)
    Bat Attack P
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,145 ✭✭
    ssfranny wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

Meaning not a substantial difference in performance to justify cost. IE TItleist 714 to 716 to 718 is there anything different?

Feel and feedback changed a lot from 714 to 716 and a little more from 716 to 718
  • KaexoKaexo Members Posts: 671 ✭✭
    ssfranny wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

The Gen2 0311P look slightly smaller and less offset albeit minimal than the Gen1s

The 0311P is fairly larger compared to the 0311s so not sure where you see smaller. They do have less offset but the 0311s are about the size of the Gen 2 0311Ts.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    I look at it this way PP knows what he likes, Bob is happy to have him on staff. PP plays and make more then i do, he can play gen1's all he wants. Personally i dont play their irons but think they are darn ****.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • norge5norge5 Members Posts: 1,492 ✭✭
    veebs007x wrote:

That sounds like sound, practical advice on buying golf clubs. This has no place on this forum. Please refrain from inserting logic into any discussion of new golf clubs. It will not go over well. Now, tell me again how much further the new driver will go?
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,171 ✭✭
    veebs007x wrote:

I am +4.6 and I buy straight off the rack.
  • norge5norge5 Members Posts: 1,492 ✭✭

veebs007x wrote:

I like it. Simplifies things. When it comes to all the options shafts, lies, lofts, etc., ignorance is bliss. I was much more content when I thought the only option I had was the one on the wall. And if a club wasn't working, maybe it was me.
  • BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 520 ✭✭
    I did not liked gen1, turf interaction was a nightmare. Gen2 on the other side, is much better, distance control is better for me. Some people might not see a big difference between the two, for me it was night and day.
  • thewralthewral Boston, MAMembers Posts: 265 ✭✭
    Kaexo wrote:
    ssfranny wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

Kaexo wrote:

The 0311P is fairly larger compared to the 0311s so not sure where you see smaller. They do have less offset but the 0311s are about the size of the Gen 2 0311Ts.

Comparing 0311 gen1 8 iron to 0311T gen2 8 iron. And comparing gen1 vs gen2 0311P 7 irons.

The T is still smaller in width of sole and length of blade than the gen1 Ps.

Ping G400 LST 8.5*, Accra TZ6 M5
    Ping G410 14.5*, Ping Tour X

Ping G410 2 Hybrid 17*, Tensei Blue 80HY X
    Srixon 785 4-P, PXLZ 6.5
    Fourteen RM-22 Tour 50*, 54*, 58*, Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
  • MarcoPXGMarcoPXG Members Posts: 28
    From having both the Gen 1’s and then switching to the Gen 2’s the biggest difference I felt was tighter dispersion ok hits off the heal and toe. Although the Gen 1’s are still fantastic clubs, the Gen 2’s helped me. Would the average golfer make the switch and pay the added costs, well that depends on them and their disposable income.
  • snagy2000snagy2000 Members Posts: 1,575 ✭✭
    MarcoPXG wrote:

From having both the Gen 1’s and then switching to the Gen 2’s the biggest difference I felt was tighter dispersion ok hits off the heal and toe. Although the Gen 1’s are still fantastic clubs, the Gen 2’s helped me. Would the average golfer make the switch and pay the added costs, well that depends on them and their disposable income.

I agree. Dispersion and forgiveness has improved on Gen 2's. When I mishit I don't worry too much about results as the ball still gets out there just slightly offline. As for Perez, tour pros aren't looking for theses vast improvements as they usually wear a hole in the sweet spot on whatever irons they're using. Otherwise, they wouldn't be Pros. Switching to the newest toy an OEM throws out there doesn't really matter to these guys unless it significantly impacts their endorsement revenues.
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭
    norge5 wrote:

veebs007x wrote:

I like it. Simplifies things. When it comes to all the options shafts, lies, lofts, etc., ignorance is bliss. I was much more content when I thought the only option I had was the one on the wall. And if a club wasn't working, maybe it was me.

Dude just shot 63 at Q-school with the superintendent's driver, pro shop demo wedges, and some rando's irons. Almost like it's the Indian rather than the arrow, lol.
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    Same can be said for

"The 15 hdcp who needs blades to work the ball".......

• ForTourUseOnlyForTourUseOnly 009M SSS WeldNeck Members Posts: 1,052 ✭✭
    The XF is probably the biggest difference in the Gen1-Gen2, the profile size and offset are all different and you see less of the back end. I guess Pat still likes the look of the older one. Also the other main difference they changed not in performance but look was moving the sole numbers towards the toe so the paint doesnt wear out as fast.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 15, 18 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 90 TX
    Titleist 718T-MB 2i, 716T-MB 4i, Forged 718MB 5i-9i w/ Project X 6.5
    Vokey BV HandGround SM7 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S (55°), 60.08M
    Scotty Cameron Masterful 009M SSS Weld Neck
    WITB LINK New Pics 12/09/2018