2019 Golfing Goals

cflo2382cflo2382 Members Posts: 292 ✭✭
I'm playing my first round of 2019 today after work. Its going to be a wet and soggy one but I am super excited to finally get out. It had me thinking about some of the goals I have going into this season. I figured I'd share them and open up the discussion for others to share their goals too. I have three:

1. Better course management - This kind of speaks for itself. I am going to have a plan for each hole and each shot instead of eagerly going up there and hitting the ball to where I think is safe. 

2. Simplify the game (shot and club choices) - This kind of goes in hand with #1. I played some rounds with some seniors last year that easily shoot in the 70s every time. One of the things I picked up from them was how these guys just plain out keep it simple. They take their time. They don't try to kill the ball. They don't try any risky shots. They seem to always stay out of trouble because of this. Makes total sense, ha. So, I am trying to take a similar approach (no pun) this year. I added a driving iron to my bag towards the end of last year. One of the best decisions I ever made as it resulted in more tee shots being in safer play. Not that I am a bad driver, I just don't need to try and bomb a drive on a 340 yard tree-lined par 4. Get me out there safely 220+ yards with a 120- yard approach and I'll take that all day. This also goes for around the green too. Sometimes I'll try to get "cute" with my wedges and it will result in poor shots. Need to clean that up.

3. Walk more - I am now a proud owner of two Jones bags - Utility Stand and The Original. I am fortunate to be in good physical health and I have a lot of great, walk-able courses nearby. Time to get out and enjoy golf the way it was meant to be! The exercise is a plus, too.

Oh, I'm also looking forward to hitting these shiny new Japanese blades for the very first time on a course.
PING G400 w/ HZRDUS Black 62
TM '17 M2 3HL w/ HZRDUS Red 75
PXG 0311X #2 DI w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura MC-501 3-PW w/ Modus3 120x
Miura '18 Tour Milled 52 & 58 w/ Modus3 120x
SC Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant
ProV1x
Jones Utility or Jones Original

Comments

• RP29RP29 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I just made a list of goals myself. 

Outcome goals (what I want to accomplish)

1. Finish top 10 in my provincial amateur championship and qualify for nationals (different province this year should make this more attainable 😬) 

2. Top 3 in regionals (military golf)

3. Top 5 at nationals (military)

Process goals

1. Increase Club speed to 120. (I know I have a lot more speed in me as I used to when I was younger, I was close last year and I have been working out in hopes to gain those last few mph)

2. Less then 1 penalty stroke per round.  (I struggled last year with lost focus that would create poor shots and put me in a lot of trouble) 

3. Increase make % outside 10ft (I had some flaws in my approach last year that I was able to corner with a coach. Taking in the time on the green will go a long way to accomplish my other goals, low hanging fruit) 

4. Just enjoy the process (it’s been a while I’ve had the time to put into a sport and I have been enjoying it thus far. I do have a tendency to get overly focused on the outcome and it brings out frustration. I’m looking to avoid that as much as possible) 

The number in the picture is my balls speed
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,204 ✭✭
    edited Mar 21, 2019 5:59pm #3
    my only goal for the year is to figure out how never to hit a hook again... ever.. 
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,443 ✭✭
    No expectations or goals for 2019.   

Play more with the kids. 
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,204 ✭✭
    Ferguson said:

Play more with the kids. 
    Why do I have this image of gran torino in my head... 
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • bu11dogbu11dog Members Posts: 1,408 ✭✭
    Ferguson said:

Play more with the kids. 
    100% agree with this one.  I really want to take my son out to play more even if it's just 9 holes.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,666 ✭✭
    Shoot even par or better, break 70.  I've shot a bunch of 73's so this feels like a mental hurdle more than anything.
  • cflo2382cflo2382 Members Posts: 292 ✭✭
    Matt J said:
    Shoot even par or better, break 70.  I've shot a bunch of 73's so this feels like a mental hurdle more than anything.
    I should add that myself.. I shot in the mid 70s a few times towards the end of last year. Would love to shoot par or break it!
    PING G400 w/ HZRDUS Black 62
    TM '17 M2 3HL w/ HZRDUS Red 75
    PXG 0311X #2 DI w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
    Miura MC-501 3-PW w/ Modus3 120x
    Miura '18 Tour Milled 52 & 58 w/ Modus3 120x
    SC Studio Select Newport 2 Mid Slant
    ProV1x
    Jones Utility or Jones Original
  • msgmsg Posts: 314 ✭✭
    edited Mar 21, 2019 7:58pm #9
    My goal for this year is more on mental side of things.

For the longest time, I have been a golfer who easily gets frustrated and gives up when things go bad. My buddy who caddied for me once, said that if I fix that attitude, I would enjoy the game more and would shoot lower scores. So far, all winter long, I have been working on my pre shot routine using a simulator. And on the sim, I have been practicing the mental part as well. When I make mistakes, I make sure that I don't get discouraged and stick to my routine and execute the next shot with the best that I can. So far it seems like it is working. The only thing I need to do now is to do it in real life. :smile:

I cannot imagine that I have been able to lower my handicap in the last 5 years to single digits with a very weak mental toughness lol 
  • shadymgshadymg Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    My goals are simple as well:
    1. No more slicing driver
    2. Break 90 (although with my last few rounds being just over 100, maybe that should be my goal first?? but truth be told, for a while there i was consistently in the 90s)
    3. Play more. I get to the range quite a bit, but a lot less on the course, so that's a goal of mine is to just actually play more, practice less
  • dvq9654dvq9654 Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    At a high level:
    1) Shoot under par
    2) Improve my handicap
    3) Improve my swing
    4) Improve my approach to practicing so I'm more efficient / effective
    5) Play as much golf as possible (all of the above are likely dependent on this)
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭
    One simple goal:
    Make pure contact on every shot.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • kthomaskthomas Members Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited Mar 22, 2019 9:14am #13
    Got two for myself:

- Get much better at my short game. I get killed on my score from this
    - Better course management

Other than that, I want to get out more, and continue to remember that I ultimately golf for fun. 
  • fowlerscousinfowlerscousin Members Posts: 792 ✭✭
    -shoot more scores in the 70's
    -win more than 3 events
    -do a ton of short game practice
    -keep improving ball striking
  • Danm2501Danm2501 Posts: 258 ✭✭
    - Break 80 in a medal
    - Get handicap down to 10 or less
    - Win a tournament
    Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
    Callaway XR 4 Wood
    Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
    Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (4-SW)
    Vokey SM5 Wedge 50*
    Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
    Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Posts: 451 ✭✭
    • Manage the course better. There's a time and a place for the driver, and it's not on every par 4 or 5.
    • Stay in the game mentally. Don't check out after a bad hole or rough patch.
    • Score like I know I'm capable of. Basically have the confidence to play up to my ability.
    • Win a tournament
  • tcutshaw1723tcutshaw1723 ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX

My goal is to lower my handicap at or below a 3 (currently 4.8). I'm going to do this by using my limited practice time more effectively (I work 60+ hrs a week). I'm going to really focus on my short game during practice sessions because I seem to be so hot and cold in that area. My course management needs improvement as well. I don't play enough to take on those risk-reward shots that I always seem to mess up at least once a round. I'm not the kind of guy to get too frustrated but I need to focus more while playing.

LH Taylormade M5 Aldila ATX Tour Green Proto 60 tx
    LH Ping G stretch Kuro Kage XD x stiff tipped 1/2 in
    LH PXG 0317x 19 3h project x 6.5
    LH Miura CB no paintfill 4-PW project x catalyst 6.5
    LH 50, vokey sm5 black hand hammered, stamped and parts refinished to raw
    LH Haywood Satin 56 (bent to 54) hand hammered, stamped and paintfilled
    LH Callaway MD3 58 black hand hammered, removed some finish to raw, stamped and paintfilled
    LH Cushman Custom (handmade) on the bench: Bradley Putters custom Luna
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Maple Leaf
    Cru desinged custom headcovers
    Custom Ping Hoofer 14
  • I like to say:
    Shoot in the 70's (currently a 6 handicap),
    lower said handicap
    walk the course more
    Make better decisions.
    Honestly just have fun with the game. The past few seasons I've gotten caught up in stats etc etc etc and it made things worse. I've played 2 "real" rounds and just kept score and I've shot 77 and 79. Fill in the blanks later.

• clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Posts: 230 ✭✭

Good thread - enjoyed reading how others are approaching the impending season, though I guess for those in warmer climates there's no such thing as a "season."

In the Fall of '17 I played some of my best golf ever, and at the start of last season I really felt filled with confidence and ready to go. I started off well enough, but after about a month or two of playing fine my game unexpectedly took a real turn for the worse. It took me several months to pull out of that rut and there were a number of really abysmal rounds sprinkled in between some mediocre ones.

With that fresh in my memory, I'm approaching this year with more of a cautiously optimistic frame of mind than I was going into last year. I've kind of accepted the type of player I am at this point and hope I can do better at enjoying just being out there playing the game and not so wrapped up in whether I'm playing well or not.

• jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭

Over the past few years, I've been methodically focusing my goals and practice on improving particular areas of my game. So far, I've strengthened play off the tee with practice and better course management. My putting and chipping have improved, as well as my wedge play.
    This year, I'm attacking the weakest part of my game - irons. I've been reading and asking questions on the forum for the past few months to devise a strategy and approach. To start, I'm going to be pulling more club and hitting punch shots on every approach through the early season.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • brkuckbrkuck Members Posts: 1,618 ✭✭
    • Break 70
    • Play more than 20 rounds all summer (including outings)
    • Walk more and don't forget to have fun
  • staylor1634staylor1634 Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

1) Practice with a purpose
    2) Strive for more consistency
    3) Play and practice more with my wife who's swing I would kill for

• LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 676 ✭✭
    1. Start keeping track of scores to figure out my handicap and lower it. I usually shoot in the mid 80's and I'd like to get to the point where I'm breaking 80 or at least giving myself a chance to break 80 more often.
    2. I'd love to get closer to 110-115mph swingspeed. Currently around 103 and I'm using the superspeed golf training system and working out regularly to get into better shape.
    3. Concentrate on my own game and take more time. I'm a pretty fast player, but I always feel like I can do more to speed up play and my game usually suffers.
    4. Play more courses that I haven't played before.
    Taylormade M6 accra TZ6s
    Taylormade M5 5w GD AD-IZ6s 19°
    Titleist 910H GD AD-DI 95s 28°
    Taylormade P790 Modus 125x (4-AW)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge shimada tour black 54° & 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • Acesn8ightsAcesn8ights Members Posts: 2

I like all 3 in the OP. #3 is one I'm trying for the first time this year. I pretty much have only used a cart my whole life. I got a push cart last year as a gift for being at my company for 10 years. Planning on getting some use out of it this year. I'm too lazy to carry, but think I can manage with the push cart.

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    • shorten back swing
    • Handicap lower to 13
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,380 ✭✭

I just want to play, currently in Afghanistan, so I went home for Christmas and vacationed at Disney, played the Magnolia (love that course), going home again in May, hope to get out a few times, we'll see...but yes just to play would just fine for me...

Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • Get rid of the blow up holes. No more 7s or 8s on the card. I would like to break 90 and and consistently shoot in the 80s. I got real close late last year.

• ScottJNScottJN Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

I’d like to break 80. Scoring often in the low 80s would be great.

In order for those to happen I need to straighten out my driver off the tee and I need to work on my scrambling around the green.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file