The odd-future of One-Length irons

JAMH03

It's not difficult to imagine the One length concept being applied differently and possibly more effectively for many in the near future.

Some manufactures already recommend the same length for all wedges

With loft creep so few golfers are happy with the performance of their longest irons be they 3-4-5

Shortening shaft length is one way to increase centerness of contact. But the most common complaints about single length are. The short irons.

Why not 3 lengths to improve those problems?

I'm absolutely not looking at this from the Manufactors POV just advid golfers.

Easy to imagine grouping different lofted heads more toward shorter lengths.

ixf77irfqqkf.png

I'm not going to get into how valid the concept may or may not be - but the primary (proclaimed) advantage of the single length is not really just about the better control of the longer irons. It's all about one swing for ALL irons - so 3 different lengths would completely defeat the purpose.

Now for people that like the shorter lengths of the longer irons but do not like the longer length of the shorter irons there is a much better (and easier) solution. Just use 3/8" length increments instead of the normal 1/2" increments. It can be easily done with normal weight heads with minor lie adjustments so no special need for new forging or castings.

• Like 3

I think the golf industry will be cyclical. OEM's keep pushing the distance message and strengthen lofts or increase length to fit that message. It is starting to have diminishing returns because there is only so much loft you can take off or length you can add. Consumers are starting to catch on to the scheme and do not want their 6-irons to be 20* loft and 40" long.

I think the marketing will eventually turn towards "accuracy" or "precision" and you'll see the reverse effects start to take over. We're already starting to see a transition with Twist Face and Cobra's CNC Milled face. OEM's are pushing a message of "we've given you distance, now we'll give you accuracy". Over the next decade I predict it'll flip and you'll either see loft creep stop or start to go back the other way as a new wave of marketing takes over.

> @Stuart_G said:

> I'm not going to get into how valid the concept may or may not be - but the primary (proclaimed) advantage of the single length is not really just about the better control of the longer irons. It's all about one swing for ALL irons - so 3 different lengths would completely defeat the purpose.

>

I’m not an advocate one way or the other, but I have considered the OP’s idea, and I do think there might be some merit to it. No, you’re not using one swing for all irons, but even with a one length iron set, you are still swinging different lengths/swings with your driver and fairways. A three length iron set still simplifies things mechanically over a traditional set.

That said, I’m not quite sure I buy the whole 14 different swings argument anyway. In my mind, the subtle setup, posture, and plane adjustments you make to accommodate the varying lengths can hardly be characterized as a whole “different” swing. ?‍♂️

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

> @stryper said:

> > @Stuart_G said:

> >** I'm not going to get into how valid the concept may or may not be**

>

Which is why I'm not going to respond to your second paragraph. There are already enough threads on the subject.

> @stryper said:

> A three length iron set still simplifies things mechanically over a traditional set.

Does it really? I certainly don't think so. I think it's much simpler to have much smaller increments and swing adjustments between each iron than it is to have 3 different groups of irons with much bigger differences between them. But that's me so don't let me stop you from trying it if you really think there is some benefit behind the idea.

My set is 3 lengths not counting driver and putter

All irons 37

All hybrids 39

All fairway woods 42.5

They are all swing weighted the same d2.

I get consistent setup, works for me.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Seems the benefit of one length is the ability to use the same posture and swing with every club. If you create 3 postures and swings and it works well I'd think you would also do fine with a traditional set of clubs. Everyone is looking for the silver bullet. I remember Stack N Tilt promises to make every couch potato a golfer because it was so easy to hit the golf ball using it. Now we have the Mad Scientist extolling the benefits of one length irons as the way to make the golf swing easier. I am for anything that works, if it's one length, three length or traditional lengths but the bottom line is you still need to take lessons, practice and play a lot of golf to get good.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @stryper said:

> > > @Stuart_G said:

> > >** I'm not going to get into how valid the concept may or may not be**

> >

> Which is why I'm not going to respond to your second paragraph. There are already enough threads on the subject.

>

> > @stryper said:

> > A three length iron set still simplifies things mechanically over a traditional set.

>

> Does it really? I certainly don't think so. I think it's much simpler to have much smaller increments and swing adjustments between each iron than it is to have 3 different groups of irons with much bigger differences between them. But that's me so don't let me stop you from trying it if you really think there is some benefit behind the idea.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I’m not sure how many people would actually notice a 1/8” difference between your proposed increments and standard, it is literally only a one inch difference across the set. So I see almost no benefit to that. Also, I can’t see how juggling eight balls is somehow simpler than juggling three. The equation that makes sense to me is _Fewer = Simpler_.

But again, I’m still fine with variable lengths top to bottom. I only used your post as a starting point in weighing in on the OP’s idea. I don’t necessarily think your position has any less merit than the OP’s, and that it isn’t worth discussing, it just doesn’t make as much sense to me. But there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

> @Stuart_G said:

> I'm not going to get into how valid the concept may or may not be - but the primary (proclaimed) advantage of the single length is not really just about the better control of the longer irons. It's all about one swing for ALL irons - so 3 different lengths would completely defeat the purpose.

>

> Now for people that like the shorter lengths of the longer irons but do not like the longer length of the shorter irons there is a much better (and easier) solution. Just use 3/8" length increments instead of the normal 1/2" increments. It can be easily done with normal weight heads with minor lie adjustments so no special need for new forging or castings.

>

I've always thought moving to 3/8" increments was the most logical solution for those who could not gain enough consistency in their long irons to make them playable.

One length is a different paradigm for sure. It's nice to have options if you are someone looking for improvements...

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

It's not about one length or variable length, it is about custom length. Very few fitters have the necessary tools(piles of clubheads and shafts) to custom fit someone for length throughout the set. I really don't see how it could be a sustainable business model having to have some much more inventory, but I am sure someone may come up with a round about way to do it. I lucked into this idea with a club builder quite a few years back, but he was not setup for it. Long story short, all my wedges are a bit longer and the same length. My 7 iron is about standard and my 6,5,4 are all shorter. I use 1/4 increments in my set.

This all came because of a bonehead club guy back in the 90's pre-cut shafts and inserted them into Maxfl VHL irons. The VHL was variable hosel length, the long irons had super short hosels and extra perimeter weighting, the short irons had extra long hosels and less perimeter weighting. What ended up happening was a set of irons that the short irons were longer, 6 iron was about normal and the long irons were shorter. I was inadvertently put into 1/4' increments(roughly) and my club guy figured it out when fitting me into my first set in the early 2000's and ended up doing the same. I have been playing them that was ever since.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @stryper said:

> I’m not sure how many people would actually notice a 1/8” difference between your proposed increments and standard, it is literally only a one inch difference across the set. So I see almost no benefit to that.

Lots of people already have noticed a big difference. 1" can make (and has made) a big difference to many on how well they hit those longer irons. The club tech sub-forum is full of success stories for those who have tried it. But you have to understand it is a solution largely targeted for those individuals who do struggle to get good consistent impact and consistency with the long irons - exactly like the OP described. If you have no worries stripping a 2-iron down the center of fairway, or if can hit your 4 iron just as well as your 6 iron - it's probably not for you. But if on the other hand, you can manage your 6 iron fairly well but can't hit a 4 iron to save your life - then it might be something worth trying.

I am a one length iron player and agree with most of what has been said, especially Stuart's comments. It allows me to be more consistent throughout the set.. I still play my 50, 55, and 60 wedges at normal length, same for driver, hybrid and 3 wood.. Putter is normal length too! : D hehe

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

having been on the one length train for a solid year now, my handi has dropped roughly a shot. Are o/l the answer, maybe or not but I also think getting fit with a 6 or 7 iron is not the answer, I would love to do a set with 9-w at one length and may be 1/4 inch gaps between. just my .02

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

The avg score according to the much vaunted National Golf Foundation of the avg golfer is 100. If true, that is mind boggling.

The whole cb vs blade, GI vs whatever is just nonsense.

The key is shaft length, clearly.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I changed to a 3/8” set 8 years ago, made my 3 iron my old 6 iron length (+1” over Mizuno std) and gapped down accordingly with the 9I and wedges all one length. Had the set MOI matched to my old 9 iron and done. One length is the next step, but I have to figure out how to get it done with blades, I hate cavity backs and GI irons.

Regardless of the length difference in irons, if the purpose of single length is to grow the sport, golf starters still all need to learn to swing the driver, which is quite some bit longer than their single length irons. Most Beginners havnt got the swing speed nor mechanics to launch a 7 iron, they mostly just play all shots except the first with the 7 then wedges from 100y in, how would single length improve their consistency and in turn make them more interested?

I think the best answer to this is to get fitted. At the end of my last fitting a few weeks ago stated that I’m a perfect candidate for single length when I asked him. I was getting my irons checked/bent in a trackman gap fitting and he commented that all of my dynamic lie angles were 64 degrees at impact- 3 iron to LW.

> @"Jack Pearsall" said:

> The avg score according to the much vaunted National Golf Foundation of the avg golfer is 100. If true, that is mind boggling.

> The whole cb vs blade, GI vs whatever is just nonsense.

> The key is shaft length, clearly.

If we’re treating mechanics as a given, then I’d agree. I switch back and forth between a set of Sterlings and VL Wilson’s. I’m torn between them but have a bad back and there’s a sweet spot in setup where I can’t bend more than for a whole round and the wilsons are + whatever measurement that is from the 9 on down (my Sterlings are all 36.5” and I think that the Wilson 9 is the same, why I stuck with their lighter KBS 90 shafts) — but I’m the minority. I think for that group of 100 shooting amateurs, of casual or scramble tourney players, SL is a huge benefit.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

> @JAMH03 said:>

>

It's not difficult to imagine the One length concept being applied differently and possibly more effectively for many in the near future.

Some manufactures already recommend the same length for all wedges

With loft creep so few golfers are happy with the performance of their longest irons be they 3-4-5

Shortening shaft length is one way to increase centerness of contact. But the most common complaints about single length are. The short irons.

Why not 3 lengths to improve those problems?

I'm absolutely not looking at this from the Manufactors POV just advid golfers.

Easy to imagine grouping different lofted heads more toward shorter lengths.

>

> > > > ixf77irfqqkf.png> > That is really a good synopsis. I think what you are saying may work for some folks and not for others. One thing is golf is not absolute. I do not think manufacturers see it in the same light as we do. I do see in the future a lot of guys like myself and other WRXers that do their own club work modifying existing sets to meet their needs or having a local fitter builder doing so. Nothing in this game is etched in stone whether it is how you play the course or the equipment you do it with. I have never right or wrong played a piece of equipment just because "Joe Pro" plays it on tour. Nor do I have any reservations about a piece of equipment because of brand or marketing practices of the company making it. If I can hit it or modify it to where I can hit it then I will play it

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I am completely willing to be wrong about this, but I just don't see this as the direction golf equipment will go in.

I'm retired and play a LOT of golf, and a LOT of tournament golf, so I'm around guys who are very serious about the game and have a lot of disposable income. I have yet to be in a foursome in a tournament with even one guy who has had single length irons. Not one, even though the vast majority of these guys are willing to test, buy, and play pretty much anything that gives them good results.

And I think a lot of problem simply comes down to what the IDEA of single length irons is competing against, which is the incredibly high degree of custom fitting that is available for "traditional" clubs but will likely never be available for single length. A club fitter at most facilities can readily stock enough stuff from the major manufacturers to reliably custom fit almost any golfer, but I just can't see how that works with a set of single length clubs without a lot of buying and hoping (at a high price!) by the player. Is my best length going to be the 6 iron? The 7? Something else? How do I test that? Is it the same across ALL OEM's, or will if differ from one to another? I just cannot see how the inventory would be managed for this.

None of this has anything to do with the benefits of a single length set, which I think is at least somewhat debatable anyway. I get the idea, but Dechambeau isn't the only guy on Tour whose swing looks the same with every club in the bag; they ALL do! But as a practical economic matter alone, I just don't see this as ever becoming a large scale trend among better players.

SL irons work really well on the same flat lie. On the course, lie's change and that same swing setup goes out the window. I've tried SL's and that was just one of the drawbacks I encountered. Another was the longer 5/6 irons, that for some reason I could not take a 7/8 iron stance and hit it decently. With the 5/6 I had to move the ball to the front of my stance to get any height and distance, so that same swing setup premise went south. Perhaps it was just me (most likely) and the if SL clubs work for some, that's great, but I do not see any SL's gaining anymore traction than what they already have. Cobra is the only OEM that offers them, so that should really be a telling sign on it's own.

When it's all going well it allows me to compartmentalize my swing processes and thoughts. Not necessarily one swing throughout the bag, but definitely one setup and process for each type of shot.

1) Driver

2) Distance off the deck (4w, smooth & relaxed)

2) Approach (hit everything like a 7i from hybrid to PW)

4) Short game (3/4 wedges, pitches, chips, flops, sand, etc)

There's very little bleed over. In contrast, with my regular set sometimes my fairway wood setup and ball position would creep into my 4i setup (ball too far forward, wrong AoA, etc). At other times, my short game setups would bleed over into an approach shot with an 8i or 9i. With the SL's, each type of shot has a very distinct process, and there is very little opportunity for the swings to get confused.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

My pro-shop credits have increased greatly since going to the Sterlings. Watch the new Wishon single length system next year -improving on the concept, adding options

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

I am one who just does not see this being anywhere close to mainstream. I do think it may survive in a very small niche. Maybe slightly more than it is now but not much. In my circles I have not heard anyone who has put these in play of the about 50 or so golfers who have extensively tested these. As others stated maybe have long irons the same length may work and then having short irons the same (different than long) may work but that is not SL. I have tried off and on a few years and SL are not for me from about 8 iron down. Not a big fan of the longer irons either but could make due. If they work for you than put them in play!