Vokey SM8

Comments

• ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,725 ClubWRX

I am hoping for lower bounce grinds for the sand wedge lofts. An L grind 54° with 6° of bounce would be fabulous.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

@Mudguard said:

@SUPERG said:
    pumped to see them as well, going to be hard t improve the SM7, but I said the same thing for the SM6 and they sure found a way lol. Vokey is really the only Titleist branded club I ever consider.

Call me ignorant but I've had most generations of Vokeys and I don't think I've noticed a difference in any model change. The only performance difference I notice is when I change the bounce.

For me, I think the softness is what really improves through the years. Spin has always been about the same, just feel.

Taylormade M5 - PX Hzrdus HC Yellow 76 6.5
    Taylormade M4 3W - Fuji Atmos TS Blue 8X
    Taylormade M3 3H - PX Hzrdus HC Black 105 6.5
    Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X
    Titleist Vokey SM7- 50* 54* 60* - DG S400
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #3
    ProV1 X

• timbo08timbo08 Members Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SUPERG said:

@Mudguard said:

@SUPERG said:
    pumped to see them as well, going to be hard t improve the SM7, but I said the same thing for the SM6 and they sure found a way lol. Vokey is really the only Titleist branded club I ever consider.

Call me ignorant but I've had most generations of Vokeys and I don't think I've noticed a difference in any model change. The only performance difference I notice is when I change the bounce.

For me, I think the softness is what really improves through the years. Spin has always been about the same, just feel.

I think there are slight visual tweaks as well, leading edge, topline, offset etc... not monumental changes by any stretch of the imagination but more than just styling changes to the back of the club. Outside of that and releasing different bounce options within the grinds year over year I don't personally believe they change drastically within the letter grind itself. An S from SM5 will be similar to an S from SM7 in terms of the grind.

This is just my guess as I have ZERO insider knowledge at Titleist but I would bet that the SM8 is the last version we see with Vokey's name on it. During the lifespan of the SM8 you will see more Aaron Dill wedgeworks releases on Vokey.com with AD even getting his own stamps much like Voke. Then for SM9, they will be either Titleist SM9 or Titleist SM9 designed by Aaron Dill or some naming culture like that. Then you will still be able to get "Vokey" designs on the SM9 chasis via WedgeWorks at an even greater premium.

• 15th Club15th Club Members Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To this day, my all-time favorite Vokeys were the 200 and 400 series.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sm2 is king of the jungle

Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • MudguardMudguard Members Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cardoustie said:

Were they the last of the Spin Milled (red band saw)? They spun too much for me, as in ballooned so my distance control was even worse than normal. And they wrecked balls!! I don't miss old grooves at all to be honest.

• milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

playing a variety of sm6/sm7's looking forward to see what they have in store for SM8... here comes the speedfoam :D

• Brandons68Brandons68 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

So excited to get a look at the new vokeys. That is all I have played and do not plan on changing that any time soon.

• milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@deep18 said:

@milesnotsmiles said:
    playing a variety of sm6/sm7's looking forward to see what they have in store for SM8... here comes the speedfoam :D

No no. Spinfoam. B)

TAKE MY MONEY!

• storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:

Too bad the USGA deemed them as non-conforming...

@Mudguard said:

@cardoustie said:

Were they the last of the Spin Milled (red band saw)? They spun too much for me, as in ballooned so my distance control was even worse than normal. And they wrecked balls!! I don't miss old grooves at all to be honest.

SM1 - 2007 - black and white logos
    SM2 - 2009 - red logo
    SM CC (aka SM3) - 2011 - gold logo
    SM4 and after models had the number stamped on it somewhere.

• JoeJoeJoeUrBoatJoeJoeJoeUrBoat Leamington OntarioMembers Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just realized I've only ever owned vokey wedges. That's pretty intense considering the amount of ho'ing I've done over the years.

915 D2 10.5 Tour Ad Di 6s
    910 15 Diamana Whiteboard 
    P790 UDI
    Miura CB 501 4-PW PX 5.5 Rifle
    SM2 52, 56, 60
    Rory McIlroy Scotty Cameron
  • conan007conan007 Members Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 5:34pm #75
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping for an update as well @conan007 but it looks like we are still a little ways out. Definitely ordering a raw set when the time comes.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • creecoolcreecool creecool Members Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just wish they would bring back oil can finish!!!!

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
    ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
    COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
    CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
    CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
    TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
    TAYLORMADE TP5X
    CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,850 ClubWRX

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

Or pay a premium for a wedgeworks one. The 452 and 460 are my all time favorites. Loved them. Still have the 452 from 2005ish in the overflow pile.

M4 10.5°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    TS2 15°  Diamana S+ Ltd 70
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  Motore Speeder 8.8TS
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter
    Tour B XS

(¬¬) WITB Link

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

Haha. I love this because it is so wrong.

The USGA didn't deem them non-conforming. The USGA went out of its way, to make sure that they would not be made "non-conforming" within a normal life span. They are not "non-conforming." And I would normally suggest to you that you look it up and come back to us and tell us what you found but I don't want to wait for that. I want to have as much fun as I can, grinding on you right now, for your wrong-headed suggestion.

For the umpteenth time (and for the uninitiated); the groove rule of 2010 did not make old wedges "non-conforming." It prospectively changed the standards for manufacturing grooves on clubs of a certain loft. And the particular ruling bodies of elite golf (first the professional tours, then the state and national amateur championships and NCAA tournament play, etc.) imposed a rule that newly-manufactured wedges would be required per a Condition of Competition.

As I write this, there is literally no way that any old pre-2010 wedge is "non-conforming."

So now back to you. What else can I say, to run your comment into the ground? Please let me know. Okay thanx bye.

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

The USGA didn't deem them non-conforming. The USGA went out of its way, to make sure that they would not be made "non-conforming" within a normal life span. They are not "non-conforming." And I would normally suggest to you that you look it up and come back to us and tell us what you found but I don't want to wait for that. I want to have as much fun as I can, grinding on you right now, for your wrong-headed suggestion.

For the umpteenth time (and for the uninitiated); the groove rule of 2010 did not make old wedges "non-conforming." It prospectively changed the standards for manufacturing grooves on clubs of a certain loft. And the particular ruling bodies of elite golf (first the professional tours, then the state and national amateur championships and NCAA tournament play, etc.) imposed a rule that newly-manufactured wedges would be required per a Condition of Competition.

As I write this, there is literally no way that any old pre-2010 wedge is "non-conforming."

So now back to you. What else can I say, to run your comment into the ground? Please let me know. Okay thanx bye.

Semantics. Should we say “conditionally conforming” instead? Ultimately the USGA made conformance determinations on most clubs submitted for testing under their 2010 ruling change (the ATR designation is bs) and we are in the midst of temporary 14 year bifurcation which is the difference between conforming and non-conforming for certain models. Either way, 1/1/2024 is approaching and unless you have access to a specific Delorean all Vokeys produced prior to 2010 will be non-conforming for all players under the USGAs rules.

Back on topic, so how bout them SM8s...

edited Aug 15, 2019 1:22am #81

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

Semantics. Should we say “conditionally conforming” instead? Ultimately the USGA made conformance determinations on most clubs submitted for testing under their 2010 ruling change (the ATR designation is bs) and we are in the midst of temporary 14 year bifurcation which is the difference between conforming and non-conforming for certain models. Either way, 1/1/2024 is approaching and unless you have access to a specific Delorean all Vokeys produced prior to 2010 will be non-conforming for all players under the USGAs rules.

No. We are not going to “agree to disagree.” You’re wrong. The old Vokeys and other old wedges are not non-conforming. There is no rule — none — that makes them non-conforming. You’re calling this “semantics” but there is nothing semantic about it. If you and I played a match tomorrow, there is no rule whatsoever to prevent my playing with my Vokey 452.08 and 258.08. Right now. 100% legal. Legal; and not “non-conforming.”

The USGA wisely and carefully said that they may reconsider the old wedge designs in 2024. So until then, there is good reason to wait and see.

But in the meantime the one thing I know for sure is that you were wrong.

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

No. We are not going to “agree to disagree.” You’re wrong. The old Vokeys and other old wedges are not non-conforming. There is no rule — none — that makes them non-conforming. You’re calling this “semantics” but there is nothing semantic about it. If you and I played a match tomorrow, there is no rule whatsoever to prevent my playing with my Vokey 452.08 and 258.08. Right now. 100% legal. Legal; and not “non-conforming.”

The USGA wisely and carefully said that they may reconsider the old wedge designs in 2024. So until then, there is good reason to wait and see.

But Justin Thomas would not be able to put those same clubs into play without penalty in this week’s tournament, so non-conforming for him in that playing situation but conforming for you in your proposed situation. As I said, “conditionally conforming”.

Also, in what universe do you see the USGA admitting that this rule change failed to meet their goals and revert back to the prior rule across all levels or make the current temporary bifurcation permanent? If that was a possibility and they were really that confident that this would have the intended impact, they would have had no problem publicly outlining success metrics and an automatic rollback date if those success metrics were not met.

I don't care about Justin Thomas, who is paid millions of dollars to play with clubs that he is fitted with for free.

And I don't expect the USGA to "admit" to any failure with the groove specification change, because I don't think it was a failure on any dimension. And I don't think the USGA believes that either.

As I indicated to you before; okaythankxbye.

• luke1333luke1333 Members Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

@storm319 said:

@15th Club said:

But Justin Thomas would not be able to put those same clubs into play without penalty in this week’s tournament, so non-conforming for him in that playing situation but conforming for you in your proposed situation. As I said, “conditionally conforming”.

Also, in what universe do you see the USGA admitting that this rule change failed to meet their goals and revert back to the prior rule across all levels or make the current temporary bifurcation permanent? If that was a possibility and they were really that confident that this would have the intended impact, they would have had no problem publicly outlining success metrics and an automatic rollback date if those success metrics were not met.

I don't care about Justin Thomas, who is paid millions of dollars to play with clubs that he is fitted with for free.

And I don't expect the USGA to "admit" to any failure with the groove specification change, because I don't think it was a failure on any dimension. And I don't think the USGA believes that either.

As I indicated to you before; okaythankxbye.

If the red saw blade are conforming and spin so much more why aren't any pros using them???

Ping G400 LST 8.5° Ping Tour Shaft Stiff
    Titleist TS3 15° Evenflow 75g Stiff
    Titleist 816H2 19° Diamana 100X
    Titleist 716 T-mb 4 Iron Project X 6.5
    Titleist 690MB 5-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno S18 54° S400
    Vokey WedgeWorks 60.06 K Grind S400
    Piretti Potenza 2 36" 375g

• deep18deep18 Members Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AG12 said:
    Well this escalated quickly...

Can’t wait for this to get back on topic.

• Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 12:36pm #87

@cardoustie said:

I still have a brand new 58m and 60L SM2 if youre in the market

Titleist TS3 8.5* ...........................................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15*......................Tensei Pro White 70TX 42.75" D4
    Taylormade TP UDI 18*.............................HandCrafted Hzrdus Black 105X 39.75" D4
    Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 23*....Aldila Proto By You 80X D3
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-Gw .........................PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D2-D5 off 46* Pw
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.06 .........................................DG TI S400 35.5" D6
    Tour Only Odyssey Jailbird Mini Versa | BWB | plumbers neck | WHP insert | Tour SNSR Contour Pro
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

@deep18 said:

@AG12 said:
    Well this escalated quickly...

Can’t wait for this to get back on topic.

I didn’t start the USGA-related fight on this thread. But I’ll be happy to finish it.

• AG12AG12 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to get my hands on a raw set when the SM8's come out. I kind of regret my decision getting the Jet Black SM7's the finish looks good but I think the raw would look better.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    Callaway Apex '19 5-AW Nippon Modus3 105
    Titleist SM7 50.12F/54.10S DG S200
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58*/ATV KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji