We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Players Irons '19

drvrwdge ·  
drvrwdgedrvrwdge  2458Members Posts: 2,458

Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

Posted:
Post edited by drvrwdge on
Ping G410 LST Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* (set to 16*) Diamana BF 70TX
Srixon U85 20* Recoil 95 F
Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
'19 Pro V1x
Ping LE Camo Hoofer '19

Best Players Irons '19

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• JStangJStang  2606Members Posts: 2,606

Blueprint is not a cavity.

Posted:
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 | T-MB 3, 718 AP2 4-PW | Vokey SM6 52, 58 | DH89
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8212Members Posts: 8,212

My question is, why do you think forged matters? Most of the LPGA that are Ping staffers are in i200/210 and they seem to shoot pretty low. Just food for thought. If it's "Feel" your after, that's totally subjective person to person. My Ping Glide wedges are cast but are the sofest wedges I've ever played, and that's including the old Callaway forged wedges. I find that sound and feel are very linked.

Anyway, out of your list, if you're just trying to burn $$, I'd pick Z785's or T100's. There's a lot missing on your list so I assume this is because your shop only offers these. If not, don't forget sets like 919 Tour, P760 and Apex Pro.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    UNDECIDED
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus Wedge 125
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• drvrwdgedrvrwdge  2458Members Posts: 2,458

Just kind of a preference. Honestly I feel the iBlades when hit sold are every bit as solid as a forged iron, I won’t say as soft per say because I think the feel is different. Not necessarily better or worse. I did forget the 919T’s but I couldn’t edit the poll entrants. Not really a TM guy and the I like the Apex Pros but would have to be the dot heads. The 360 cup face is a little hot and clicky for my liking.

Honestly just trying to get some different opinions on what people are playing.

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x
    Ping LE Camo Hoofer '19
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8212Members Posts: 8,212

@drvrwdge said:
    Just kind of a preference. Honestly I feel the iBlades when hit sold are every bit as solid as a forged iron, I won’t say as soft per say because I think the feel is different. Not necessarily better or worse. I did forget the 919T’s but I couldn’t edit the poll entrants. Not really a TM guy and the I like the Apex Pros but would have to be the dot heads. The 360 cup face is a little hot and clicky for my liking.

I'd probably say the 919's are the best out of all of them as far as the combo of looks, performance, etc go. I hear you on the Apex/760's.... the whole putting foams and whatever material inside a player's head is an odd choice if you ask me. You probably won't be finding the tour issue dot heads in your pro shop either. I can't speak to T100 though really, I've yet to hit them. I really really liked Z785's and was fit for them last year but I ended up getting 770's because I found a deal I couldn't pass up on eBay.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    UNDECIDED
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus Wedge 125
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• Redjeep83Redjeep83  5546Members Posts: 5,546

I'm in the hunt for a new set of players irons as well. TM is releasing a new players iron next spring, callaway as well. Other than that it's the t100, mizuno mp20 mcc or 919 tour. Also, ping is releasing a new iblade replacement but sounds like you want forged. Personally, I would wait until spring to make a decision and see the new offerings.

Posted:

@Redjeep83 said:
    I'm in the hunt for a new set of players irons as well. TM is releasing a new players iron next spring, callaway as well. Other than that it's the t100, mizuno mp20 mcc or 919 tour. Also, ping is releasing a new iblade replacement but sounds like you want forged. Personally, I would wait until spring to make a decision and see the new offerings.

I’m hearing mixed reports on the new iblade. Some say it’s coming some say it’s not. And everyone knows a guy ha

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x
    Ping LE Camo Hoofer '19

Advertisement
  • jjmurryjjmurry Washington, DC 202Members Posts: 202
    Srixon z785

Bumping this as I am interested in getting some new irons myself. Am looking for a little more forgiveness than my current JPX 900 tours

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST - Tensei CK Orange 65X
    Titleist TS2 3W - Diamana ZF 75TX
    Titleist U510 - Project X HZRDZ Smoke Black 85g 6.5
    JPX 900 Tour PW-4i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60* - C-Taper 130x
    Tommy Armour Impact #3
    Snell MTB-X
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 1621Members Posts: 1,621
    Srixon z785

@jjmurry said:
    Bumping this as I am interested in getting some new irons myself. Am looking for a little more forgiveness than my current JPX 900 tours

My choices would be 785 if you tend to spin it a lot or T100/AP2 if you need a bit more spin/height.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X Evenflow White 6.5x 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey SM7 50F 56M 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35"
    Pro V1x
    Currently - 5.6

• tsecortsecor Loading........  4490Members Posts: 4,490
    Srixon z785

@drvrwdge said:
    Sorry if this have been covered before but yesterday in a charity event my partner and I won overall and much to our surprise to the victor went the spoils, $1k GC to the pro shop so needless to say I'm on the hunt for new sticks. I've been a loyal Ping guy for ever but I'm thinking of straying. Partly because I want to get back to a forged iron and also because well why not?? So was wondering what everyone is thinking about some of the offerings this year and from late last year. Tell me which and why.

I was just shopping for new irons yesterday and looked at the following

MP-20 HMB / MMC - Both were amazing. HMB looked better at address
    T100/CB/T200 - all were really nice. the CB is absolutely sick.
    TM P790. Looks better than I thought
    Srixon 785 - Best looking club at address and one of the best manufacturers.

For the money you are spending, I feel forged is the better product. Cast is great as well, but over the long haul, cast wears out faster.
    Performance is everything so go hit them all. Let us know what you purchase because I am in the same boat and need some help!!

Posted:

So i actually bought a set of z785's off of eBay yesterday because it was a deal to good to pass up but I am not 100% sure on the shafts. Got the 4-PW 785, 4 and 5 of the 585 and a 20* u85 all +3/4" which is my spec. Shafts are KBS tour though which I have tended to spin too much in the past but some swing changes and the fact that everyone says these heads spin less then most got me thinking its worth a try. If they work guess I can spend the $$ on something else and if I like the heads I can just sell the set and get fitted for the shaft I want.

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x
    Ping LE Camo Hoofer '19
  • BLF0901BLF0901  83Members Posts: 83
    Srixon z785

@drvrwdge said:

If I weren't a Mizuno loyalist, I'd be gaming the Srixon.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent  1007Members Posts: 1,007
    Srixon z785

Just put Z785 4-PW in the bag a week and a half ago.

Fabulous sticks. The V-sole is the real deal for me.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• jjmurryjjmurry Washington, DC 202Members Posts: 202
    Srixon z785

@balls_deep said:

@jjmurry said:

My choices would be 785 if you tend to spin it a lot or T100/AP2 if you need a bit more spin/height.

Well... I am naturally a higher spin guy (hence the ctapers), but have made some improvements with my ball striking and now have a low ball flight and lower spin. That being said the 785's look awesome and I'm hoping my fitter that I'm seeing on Monday has them. Otherwise I have a feeling I will end up in T100's. I've convinced myself that I need my equipment to help me as much as I can so I'm willing to try something more forgiving despite a fairly low handicap.

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST - Tensei CK Orange 65X
    Titleist TS2 3W - Diamana ZF 75TX
    Titleist U510 - Project X HZRDZ Smoke Black 85g 6.5
    JPX 900 Tour PW-4i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60* - C-Taper 130x
    Tommy Armour Impact #3
    Snell MTB-X
  • birdiestobogeysbirdiestobogeys  20Members Posts: 20
    Srixon z785

It appears the Srixons are the overwhelming favorites

Posted:

Its looking that way..

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x
    Ping LE Camo Hoofer '19
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT  7216Members Posts: 7,216
    Srixon z785

I'm nowhere near the player I once was but the Z785 is giving back some of that confidence......and the feel is BRILLIANT!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC  2467ClubWRX Posts: 2,467
    Mizuno MP20 MMC

On that list I would look at the MP20 MMC for sure and also the 785. I would rank those as slightly more forgiving, though I have not hit the T100.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • KC13KC13 31st State 452Members Posts: 452

MP-20 MMC all day. K bye!

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 9° - Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 F5
    16' TaylorMade M2 15° - Fuji Speeder Evo II 757x
    Titleist 816H1 21° - Tensei Pro White 90x
    Mizuno MP-25s 4i-PW - KBS Tour 125 S+
    Titleist SM7s 50/54/58 - KBS Tour 120 S
    TaylorMade Tour Spider "L" Neck - BGT Stability Shaft

• aquapigaquapig  314Members Posts: 314

@tsecor said:

@drvrwdge said:

For the money you are spending, I feel forged is the better product. Cast is great as well, but over the long haul, cast wears out faster.
    Performance is everything so go hit them all. Let us know what you purchase because I am in the same boat and need some help!!

What about the HMB did you think looked better at address than the MMC?

Curious

Posted:
  • hypergolfhypergolf  1240Members Posts: 1,240
    Titleist T100

I tried all the new iron releases as I am in the market to replace my Mizuno MP60s (TT DG S300).

After hours of search, different shaft and head combinations I am going to go with Titleist T100 with Project X 6.0.

Historically I never liked Titleist irons and was always a Mizuno iron player but this year the feel and performance in T100 won me over...

Posted:

Advertisement
  • tsecortsecor Loading........  4490Members Posts: 4,490
    Srixon z785

@aquapig said:

@tsecor said:

@drvrwdge said:

Curious

yes. For my eye, the HMB was the 2nd best next to the srixon. Then the MMC, CB, T100 all were the same. all beautiful, but the srixon and HMB stood out

Posted:
  • dalillama47dalillama47  1278Members Posts: 1,278

Z785's are my vote. Yes I do play them, I can play anything I want. Between feel , forgiveness and the way they go through the turf, all a tough combo to beat. I'm not saying they are the best, but hard to believe there is anything much better.

Posted:
    Srixon Z785
    Srixon F85 3 & 5
    Srixon H85 #4 22*
    Srixon Z585 5 iron, Z785 6-pw
    Cleveland RTX 4, 50,54, & 58
    PXG Gen 2 Bat Attack 
    Srixon 2019 Z Star

• danielwkelliherdanielwkelliher  170Members Posts: 170
    Srixon z785

Z785's are my vote. Played 919 Tours and 718 AP2's prior. I can't imagine anything fitting my eye behind the ball better than the Srixons.

Posted:

G410 LST - Diamana 60TX, Smoke Green 60 TX
    TS3 15.75 - Evenflow White 75 6.5
    919 Tours 4-PW - Project X 6.0
    RTX4 - 50/54-60 - S400 TI
    Spider X Custom and T22 NP2

• aquapigaquapig  314Members Posts: 314

@tsecor said:

@aquapig said:

@tsecor said:

@drvrwdge said:

Curious

yes. For my eye, the HMB was the 2nd best next to the srixon. Then the MMC, CB, T100 all were the same. all beautiful, but the srixon and HMB stood out

I get that you liked the look better at address. Wondering WHAT you liked about the HMB at address over the MMC?

Posted:

I went ahead and played a round with the 785s I just picked up even though I did not think the shaft would fit me and all I can say is wow

Typically an X 100 guy but I found a deal on eBay I could not pass up with a KBS tour 130s. Didn’t think I’d get along with them But they are **** near perfect. Flight and span is optimal and they are about as straight but they are **** near perfect. Flight and span is optimal and they are about as straight as anything I’ve ever hit. Feel is beyond exceptional. Still would like to try them in the $taper though. Mainly because of the Mainly because of the PVD finish

Posted:
    '19 Pro V1x
    Ping LE Camo Hoofer '19

Advertisement
  • HappyGilmore22HappyGilmore22  505Members Posts: 505

Most irons these days are really so similar in the same category it's hard to go wrong with one of the top manufacturers. It comes down to what fits your eye and feels the best to you only. T100's have been fantastic for me so far I love the profile, feel, and launch/spin. Lot of Srixon love on this site but I'm not a fan. JPX 919 Tour and Forged are both excellent as well for players and players distance.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 8 deg - Fujikura Speeder Evolution I 757 TX
    Titleist TS3 14 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90x
    Titleist T200 4-5, T100 6-PW - Project X 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black - 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.12 D - TT DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't....  1385Members Posts: 1,385

JPX 919 Tour or Forged would be my choice as well. Don't overlook the Titleist T200 its an excellent iron. Great looks, uber forgiving and great feel. Works as long as you can work your wedge config around the 43 deg PW.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5 deg, Evenflow White S
    Titleist TS3 15 deg, Diamana S+ 80x
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 54 deg  Nippon Modus 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60 deg K, Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Titleist AVX
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer  583Members Posts: 583
    Srixon z785

Bought they 785's right when they came out with TI X100's and haven't looked back. Incredible irons! You cant go wrong with 'em.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan  1338Members Posts: 1,338
    Mizuno MP20 MMC

The Srixons are great. Massively underrated company overall, but 919T all the way. For looks it’s not even close to me.

MP20s show just how much intellectual honesty and engineering prowess there is within Mizuno as a company. Can’t see anyone else going to the expense of adding a copper layer, forging the face and neck like the HMB, or working out how to incorporate multiple metals during the forging process like the MMC.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.