Had a baby, no more golf

00bolt

Wife and I had a baby 6 months ago. Needless to say golf took a backseat most of 2019. But I’m ready to get back to it this year. Played a handful of times and did actually shoot my best ever score (74) in 2019. But overall, was a bad year for golf due to the lack of dedication.

but I’ve been hitting the range hard last couple weeks. Crazy how far I’ve come already in just a few range session. Wish golf was like riding a bike....

• Like 1

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Congrats. I'm having mine right now on July 14. Told my wife I'm literally golfing 7 days a week until then because I know once he/she is born, there will be a period of up to a year or more, where I suddenly play 0 golf. I'm trying to get a home set up with pad and net to hit into so I can at least keep the juices flowing a little bit during that time.

• Like 1

Wife and I played in a couples league that just happened to end 3 weeks before our first was born. We walked (well, until the last night when it was really hot and the others decided everyone was riding that night - I think mostly for her, lol). Best golf she ever played in her life up to then. Needless to say things changed, but with a mid-September birth I think I may have played only a round or two after she was born, but solidly into the little one and ultimately winter so not hard to leave golf behind for us.

Won't be long and your little one will be tagging along!

• Like 1

Congratulations to the impending parents. I would never have started playing again if it weren't for my daughter getting interested in the game all on her own just before she turned 6. Now she is only a casual golfer for the time being, but that little squirt already has a hole in one and I'm hacking away pitifully.

• Like 1

I tried that and got shut down, wife was scared of stray golf balls flying around. But I did take my daughters with some beach toys and let them play in the sand trap while I'd work short game. Only worked if nobody was doing bunker practice, but it gave me an hour of golf without having to burden the wife more than normal.

Advice for the new dad (Congrats btw!)... fall in love with the after-work 9-holer. 4-5 hours on a weekend is a lot, but coming home at 7 instead of 5 once a week generally isn't as much of a battle. From time to time I'd order food (pizza, chinese) delivered to the house before going to play, just to show appreciation for the time out of the house.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Had my first child last April, and golf took a major back seat for me. I managed to get in a few comps but practice time was not available, but surprisingly I had my best year results wise. Its amazing how your mind set changes once there is someone more important in life than a game of golf. It certainly freed me up and that lead to my best golf.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

Ironically, I have been able to lower my HC from a 4.5 to 3.1 since my daughter was born (she is now 3). I won my flight (1st flight) at the club championship a few days before she was born. Played very few rounds for the next few months (it was fall/winter) and had one of my worst rounds ever while playing Pinehurst No.2 when she was 2 months old.

However, the next spring I joined a new club with a significantly harder course. The new club will actually take care of my daughter for up to 3 hours a day while I play (although she likes to go along now). This has actually lead to significantly more rounds per year (mostly 9 holes) and a lowering of the handicap with some of the best rounds of my life. I can’t say that my waistline or general health has recovered even though I walk most of my rounds.

I have a 3 yr old son and a 1 month old daughter. Golf is literally the only thing I do outside of work and family time. Going for drinks after work or on weekends is a rare occurrence for me. Thus my wife is pretty understanding and lets me play a decent amount.

I just took my son to a real course for the first time last Sunday. To the guy who mentioned errant golf balls, the course told me on the phone it was OK for him to ride along, then I got there and the girl goes 'I know i told you its ok but I'm not really sure the age limit and if anyone asks you paid for him'.

The course was fairly wide open as I'm in STL and it was a random 60 degree day in January. Just kind of an odd comment I thought, obviously I'm going to be super careful with him.

He absolutely loved it as I knew he would, he loves going to the range and mini golf. He cried when I told him it was over on the 9th green.

I have a 2 year old daughter and played 65 times this year, and 60 last year. It can be done! Get used to those early tee times man

Can't wait until my daughter is old enough to hit balls with me

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

When my son was 4 I started taking him to the range. I tell people that I fooled him. I spoke like everybody plays golf - just like how everybody brushes their teeth, gets their mail, etc... Never tried to coach him beyond showing him a grip a year in. 10 years later he's got a fantastic swing. I mention it because it's advisable you fold your firstborn into the game with you. Make it a family affair as much as practical if you plan to keep playing regularly. Oh, and finish every golf-practice session with your kiddo with a big serving of french fries...very important... And, congrats. Life will never be the same.

Simple advice to all new/ young dads: go golf! Have the fight now. You’re only gonna have the fight later so have it now. Make it once a week. DO NOT come home complaining of sore muscles or high scores. Take the kid immediately off her hands when you go home. Make sure you send her with friends or her mom for an even longer stretch of time than you golf. 5 hours a week to stay in the game is reasonable

• Like 3

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

Once I had kids, I started playing at first light. You'll meet a lot of old guys and new dads at that time. I started mixing in 9 holes early morning to get the juices flowing. Babies take a lot of naps so you'll still be able to sneak in range sessions and putting practice. The first couple of months, youll be too tired to do anything else but after a few months, things start getting easier and more routine. 6 hour rounds with the boys at 10:30am on a Sunday may be a no go, but 9 hole or quick 18 hole at first light is certainly achievable.

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

Yes great advice. Part of the reason I play 65 rounds a year is my wife's hobby takes more time than mine

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I dont get why a baby is no golf, yes when my daughter was born i dropped from 2 times a week to one time. That lasted for about 2 years then went back to 2 times a week and sometime more. 14 years later i play 3 times a week and sometimes more depending on what is going on.

I agree help out at home, no naps or complaining. Get used to early tee times. I have stuck to early tee times and keep wife happy still, i do get later times cause my 2nd daughter plays now. Always remember to treat your wife, let her do whatever without complaining. My wife now supports my golf habit, buys me things and new clubs, bags and shoes.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Congrats on the new tax deduction (baby) -- kidding of course.

When my wife and I had our 3, they were pretty close to each other, I literally look 8 years off. A buddy of mine had a baby a few years back and when he told me I said "I'll see you on the course in 5 years" He didn't believe me. This was 7 years ago and we have played together maybe 15 times since.

Granted we live in NJ, so the winters around here can linger for 7 months at a time. And wait until he/she is 7, 8 years old because then it's "Can't play this weekend, they have basketball on Saturday and baseball on Sunday" or when he/she is 14 years old: "They have marching band at the football game on Saturday and then they have competition on Sunday. Oh also, don't forget, that day off you were going to take the following Friday? I hope you weren't planning on golfing, because they have their awards banquet and I volunteered us to cook food before hand. Also, the next day, we are having brunch with my parents since they are visiting and Sunday they have State finals."

Yes, all true stories.

lol at this 'I had a kid and stopped playing'

I had a kid and I now play more than I did before. My wife plays as well and we bring the kid with us on the course. Both of our HCs have dropped since having the kid.

It's what you make of it.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

oh...by the way...dont ever try to take a nap after golf. My wife is happy with me playing at first light and coming home by brunch, but if I ever try to take a nap after golf, she'd slit my throat. My buddies wonder how I can play so much but when they come home, they nap. When I come home, I take the family for lunch and out for the day.

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

Baby is good, so is 74. Whether one gets to play more golf depends on the wife's attitude, and work schedules of both parents. IMO - Baby is always #1. Good luck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX