New to golfing in the South - tips/tricks to survive the summer?

Relocated from the Northeast to Georgia last year and started golfing again four months ago. Any of you have tips for playing during the summer months? I know hydration is even more important here and I tend to drink a lot of water while playing. I got a bucket hat, looks be damned, to keep the sun off as much of my head as possible. I have a pair of rain gloves for when I start sweating too much, I ran into that when playing on a very hot and humid day up north. I'll start using sunscreen more as well. What else should I be considering?

For what it's worth I mostly walk with my clicgear 3.5.

I live on the west coast of FL. I concur with what has been already said. Lots of water (including before you play). Play early if you want to stay out of the heat/humidity. Extra gloves. I know guys who take a full change (polo, shorts, socks) and swap out at the turn. Sunscreen. You might take a look at some of the shirts that are used by fisherman that have SPF built into them.

Take good dense food for snacks (protein bars, bananas). I'd recommend a banana 2 hours before your round, will help prevent cramping from dehydration.

Personally I like playing in the late afternoon. Its not quite as hot as during midday, though close to the same humidity. But the courses are not as packed. I've finished rounds in 2hrs because the course was empty.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I lived in Atlanta for 9 painful years. The last year was when I got back into golfing again. It's about as hot, temperature wise, as Orlando. But the humidity is less and thus summer golf is a different ballgame than in Orlando.

I'll give you the tips I use for Florida summer golf though:

You will want to take a golf cart (particularly in Georgia where most of the state is very hilly). You can go during the morning, but it sometimes comes at the risk of longer rounds because that's when everybody is playing. You may want to try to go out in the afternoon. It's hotter, but the golf is far cheaper and you can go out by yourself or with a friend and get done in 2-2.5 hours instead of playing in slightly lower temperatures and playing in 4-4.5 hours and paying more for golfYou will want to start hydrating yourself the day BEFORE you play. Just drink extra water the day prior.A sports drink does provide necessary electrolytes, but they are also filled with sodium. I suggest drinking one right before the round and then stick with water for the rest of the round.Towels are your friends. I take one towel and soak it in cold ice water. Then another towel to wipe my hands, another towel for my face and another towel to clean my clubs.I think it depends on the person, but I like to take the towel I put in ice water and put it on my neck and the back of my knees to keep me cooled down.Sunblock is a must.I will bring 3 different gloves (this is pertinent in Florida). I mark them A, B and C. I will use Glove A in the first 3 holes. Then Glove B for holes 4-6 and then Glove C for holes 7-9. Then repeat. This keeps the gloves fresh.Place your gloves in a ziplock bag in you golf bag. Make sure to take out the air in the sealed ziplock bag (or try to take as much air you can take out). This keeps the gloves fresh.Find shade whenever you can. That can lower the temperature by close to 20 degrees.Find a good hat. Visors are okay if you have a full head of hair on top. Bucket hats are generally the best

RH

Lots of good comments. Switching out gloves is a nice one. And yeah, riding makes a big difference with some breeze, plus the hills and many more recent courses designed for riders. I like to play in the mornings to stay out the sun. But I will say in accord with those that play in the afternoon that the mornings are very humid so its just gonna be sweaty all the time regardless of when you choose. I try to stay hydrated, but I also try to watch what I eat, no greasy breakfast, stay away from the junk food at the turn etc. Nothing specific so much as the cleaner you eat, the easier it is to deal with the heat. Also, I find it helps to have a good cardio routine off the course. Even if you take a cart in your rounds, having that extra fitness is a big help in the heat. Also, I just stay away when it gets to the mid-90s. Unless its a day with lower humidity (we can get a few lower humidity days in the summer), then its fine. But most days are high80s-low90s for the high temperature so that's not too often. Oh, and keep in mind, late September through thanksgiving are great for golf, there will be some perfect days in the there with nice conditions, so you have sthg to look forward to.

Now, dealing with Bermuda rough in its full August glory, I can't help with that......

you can wash your rain gloves ... i am thinking about using nothing but rain gloves from here on out because of that ... nothing you can really do outside of the things you mentioned ... best thing is to try to play first thing in the morning ... you're going to be sweating by the end of the first hole ... if you don't get out first thing in the morning, then you really might consider a cart ... i switch to carts in late june and don't go back to walking till the first cold front comes through, then go back to walking ... walking 18 in 90 degree heat with high humidity is a helluva tougher than you realize ...

Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it. I don't wear a glove when I play. The exception are rain gloves when it's raining or I start sweating too much.

I have never done anything special with regard to a towel while playing. I just have a few that are used to cleaning clubs and balls. It sounds like I may want to add a towel(s) that I just use for myself, lol.

The bucket hat isn't as cool as a cap but it covers my ears and neck better. I'm wondering if I should get the umbrella extension for my cart and use it for portable shade. I used to carry the umbrella for rain but I lost the holder years ago. I wonder how big a pain that would be. I'm about 6'2 and always felt like I was ducking to stay under it in rain.

My course isn't too hilly but there are a couple. I mostly play 9 hole rounds as well. So I should be able to handle it. If nothing else, maybe it'll light the fire under my @ss to try and get back in shape. Walking the course has been my only exercise lately.

I loved the winter golf. 40s/50s and wet course, no problem! Some of the guys think I'm nuts but when you're used to having 1 - 3 feet of snow on the ground and no golf for months perspective changes.

1- Water Water Water . start day before - keep drinking until it’s clear, then keep drinking. I don’t think some people really know what being adequately hydrated is.

1b - Avoid sugary sports drinks, use electrolyte tables (like nuun) instead.

2 - Seek shade at every possible opportunity, a few extra steps is worth it Every second adds up.

3- Sunscreen - every time, and reapply.

There is some really great advice in here, so I’ll just add my “musts.”

Begin hydrating at least one day before.Bring twice as much water as you think you will need on the course. Wear clothing with UV protection, including your hat. Sunscreen is a requirement. Plan on applying at least once during the round. Buy a cooling towel that you can wear around your neck throughout the round. My wife bought me one last year and it has made playing in the heat and humidity much more bearable. If you can’t find one, a regular towel soaked in the ice water in the cooler of your car will suffice.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

All the above plus one more suggestion......Carry A&D ointment. In the heat/humidity, the boys down below will appreciate it if you apply before the round.

I also use the FJ rain glove in grey. You can soak it anytime to cool the hand.

I also carry a small waterproof lined cooler with a couple of hand towels and then fill with ice. Cold towel on the face/head several times a round has been a life saver.

AND......sunscreen, sunscreen,sunscreen,sunscreen,sunscreen!!!

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

So, not to disagree with anyone above but I absolutely despise those towels. There's nothing that I want to make me wetter and I just don't feel like they make enough difference to make it worth it. I also find not riding in a cart to be a lot more comfortable as well (feels like getting into a sweatbox).

Drink more water and be in at least slightly below mediocre shape (let's call that the ability to run a 5k in 30 min). Those are my tips. If both of those describe you then you'll be fine.

Cross line grips on irons. Max bounce on flop wedge. Stay away from waters edge when the weeds are high. Moccasins will chase you. Lower driver trajectory. Balls will plug out of sight. Columbia or Salt Life shirts. Noseeums are flying teeth. A cigar helps. Cheap gloves suck carry st least 3 good leather ones. Spray sunscreen is for Karen. Don't bring that crap around me.

I'm from the PNW, lived in the UK, Quebec, and Norcal, before spending two + years in Austin TX (2017/18). I'm definitely waaaaaaaaaaay more comfortable adjusting to rain and the like than the heat and humidity and I was able to manage fine with the following:

Water (already did)Sunscreen (already did)teeing off early (already did) and then GTFOlefty rain glove on more humid dayssun sleeves. Both to protect from the sun and just as usefully, they absorbed the sweat on my arms so I didn't have to be wiping them or having sweat roll down to my hands. Like many things, I'd additionally got them for the sun protection and then viola they had this other excellent benefit.So really just those last two were different, as those first 3 were just normal things I already did and really took care of 80% of rounds.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Alot of good advice but damn, are you guys all super white guys? Or yankees? ?

Being from here and always been in the south, ATL, coastal, little north in SC/NC and now in Texas...I am pretty acclimated.

Sunscreen - sure - spray on once before round. Get the sport stuff. 15 works, 30 Better...45 for the gingers...

Sunglasses - yep, deal with it. I never go outside without sunglasses, I'm actually shocked how many people do. So bright, nice pair of shades does the trick.

Water - yes, chase with cold beer.

Bucket hat? I mean, if you want to look like a tool...sure..

3 towels. One for clubs, one for golfballs and other stuff. One for you. Face, hands, to soak in cold water and wear on your head - whatever it takes.

Gloves, you should play some shots without them (irons, wedges, never a putter), buuut, if you can't, two tried and true methods.

1. At least two gloves, in rotation use for 1 hole, hang on side of golf cart. Use next glove 1 hole, hang on side of cart. Continue swaps, use the heat to your advantage.

..if you can NOT wear a glove on shots other than driver or woods - 2. Get a rosin bag. Good grips and a rosin bag, all set. They make little ones for golf and tennis...boom. You're welcome.

Being in the south isnt bad - play in the afternoon it's hotter but drier. They water the courses in the AM, makes humidity worse IMO until it dries out + you'll play faster.

Or you could just stay up there...you know...in Yankee land. ? We don't have chowdah or Tahm Brady. .joking - but seriously, stay up there. ?

And I know, skin cancer is a thing - I'm not down-playing the heat and sun. Just seem to be less affected by it. With sunscreen and sunglasses, I'm usually good, pound water but sneak.some beers in there. Keep you hydrated as well, until later. And later you'll be on your couch...

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

For those worried about their undercarriage, I cannot recommend this stuff enough. It is great and does the job better than anything else I've used.

Crop Preserver Replenishment

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Lots of great suggestions. However in my view most of them don't really work.

2nd shirt? Will be sopping wet in 6 minutesCold, wet towel? feels ok for 15 seconds then you are hot as hell againGold Bond? Feels great after, pasty duringWalking is an option but be prepared to look like you jumped in a pool on an uphill par 5Drink water, wear sunscreen, wear any hat but a visor, and stand in the shade when you can. That is really all I do. FWIW I think Atlanta summer golf is hot, but nothing like coastal or Florida summer golf. The coast and Florida as that little extra humidity that really kills you.

Just keep a towel with you and dry off when you can. Dry and hot is tolerable. Soaked and hot is not. I wear the under armour type shirts with no undershirt. Light color and maybe even a size larger than normal. Your choice of underwear is critical too. I know what I like (pair of thieves from Target) but find you something that is supportive and breathes but doesn't bunch up or ride up.

Several gloves. If you own a cart (or even if you don't own it) put a strip of the self adhesive velcro in the roof of the cart to stick your gloves to. It is good in both heat and humidity to dry them as well as rainy weather to let them dry a bit. They make fans for carts too.

I played middle of the day when it was 103 back a few years ago. It was actually low humidity for around here so it was tolerable as long as you were moving when you were in the sun and parked the cart in the shade. Keep a towel on the vinyl cart seat to keep from frying your rearend.