G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

I have had the G 25's since they first came out and have played them ever since. they are really a great club. interestingly i just snapped the shaft off my 7 iron on the range over the weekend so i am sending it back to Ping for a new shaft.

to me the G30 is pretty much the same club with longer shafts and bumped down lofts. it too is a very good club.

a lot of my friends jumped on the G bandwagon this year and got the new irons with the core eye technology. we'll see where this goes. i want to see what Ping does with the next generation. do they stick with for eye or move to a different tune...

I am on my second year with the G25's in that time I have gone from a 12 handicap to a 6. I like the look of the new Apex16's and srixon 565's but can't justify a change.

i went from the G25 to the Z545's and loved the switch, HOWEVER, they are completely different IMO. I couldn't stand the G25's for my swing at least. They were way too light for me and i was all over the place. The Z's are a heavier iron and paired with the S300 even heavier. If you are playing the G's well, don't switch. The Z's are different.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an oldie, I stumbled upon this topic when considering a set of older, yet conforming-groove PING irons.

I picked up a set of G25 4-U w/CFS Distance shafts. Like the heads, not sure about the shafts.

Reading the early pages here, I figured that maybe trying KBS Tour shafts would work better for me.

I've got a set of KBS Tour black shafts coming and am anxious to see the difference.

• 4 months later...

I have had a set of G 25's in the bag a month now. I read the outstanding across the board reviews online and decided to snag a set.

I have been fit by PING before and know my specs(std. length-blue dot). I read that the CFS stock shafts play a little soft and because of that wanted the

R flex shaft. Being in my middle 50's and 7 iron swing speed now 75 mph I wanted a little softer regular shaft. The CFS shafts in R are 99 grams in weight and

they are perfect for me. The remind me of Nippon 950's as they are light and lively. I get my desired ball flight (i have no problem getting the ball up, and these do not balloon on me one bit) and dispersion is tight. I really can't believe how sweet these G 25's feel at impact. I put new Golf Pride Tour Velvets on the set 4-PW and could not be happier. The offset is perfect for me. slight in the short irons and generous in the long irons.I have been playing over 30 years and am currently a 12 handicap. These PING's are better than the I 5's that I bagged and loved for years. Thought I would add this post of praise if there are others that are considering the G 25's by PING. Also I still bag the awesome PING i 20 5 wood as it is as sweet as a fairway wood that is out there. I too bag the new PING Glide 2.0 wedges (gap, sand, and lob) and find them awesome. Boy was I surprised as I have been a Cleveland or Vokey guy forever.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Here is my bag. I play to a 3 handicap. I have wrx’d a TON of other sets these past couple years. And I have come back to g25’s 3 times. Found a set locally that was practically unhit...in my specs...for not enough money. IMO, they are the best iron set Ping has ever made.

I love the feel. I love the consistency. And even though I am an above average ball-striker, I love the forgiveness.

wfgai9hs6z80.jpeg

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

> @Jaygolf37 said:

> Here is my bag. I play to a 3 handicap. I have wrx’d a TON of other sets these past couple years. And I have come back to g25’s 3 times. Found a set locally that was practically unhit...in my specs...for not enough money. IMO, they are the best iron set Ping has ever made.

>

> I love the feel. I love the consistency. And even though I am an above average ball-striker, I love the forgiveness.

> wfgai9hs6z80.jpeg

>

Nice, I'm still playing mine as well. What other iron sets did you give the longest run but dump? I may try the G710s when they come out (have been interested in the hollow-body designs, maybe the i500s instead). Or, I figure the G410s would work fine as well if I just want something new (probably some improvement on mishits too based on everyone's comments).

I’m still using mine 6 years on and nothing has knocked them out the bag. I’ve tried other clubs but I don’t hit anything as consistently as my g25s. They’re starting to look a bit old now so may see if Pink Europe can refinish them for me.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Had mine in the bag since they were released. They are GREAT. I can hit any shot with them and they don't feel hard. Always looking to replace them but can't find anything to outperform them loft for loft.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Jaygolf37 said:

> > Here is my bag. I play to a 3 handicap. I have wrx’d a TON of other sets these past couple years. And I have come back to g25’s 3 times. Found a set locally that was practically unhit...in my specs...for not enough money. IMO, they are the best iron set Ping has ever made.

> >

> > I love the feel. I love the consistency. And even though I am an above average ball-striker, I love the forgiveness.

> > wfgai9hs6z80.jpeg

> >

> Nice, I'm still playing mine as well. What other iron sets did you give the longest run but dump? I may try the G710s when they come out (have been interested in the hollow-body designs, maybe the i500s instead). Or, I figure the G410s would work fine as well if I just want something new (probably some improvement on mishits too based on everyone's comments).

Thanks. I’m very comfortable with my setup. I too was curious about the hollow iron / floating face irons...then a thought that that I needed to use a bladed iron again (my set of s55’s). Here are some I tried:

MP-H5’s

C300 Forged

Apex CF Forged

IE1’s

714 AP2’s

I spent the most time with the MP-H5’s. They are a wonderfully designed club, but I just got more of everything in the g25’s (distance, consistency, spin rate, etc)...especially forgiveness. These irons suit how I approach the game, and the kind of ball I use.

I FIRMLY believe that you can use a high spin ball with these irons. It has been a successful combination for me.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

> @philly2kuk said:

> I’m still using mine 6 years on and nothing has knocked them out the bag. I’ve tried other clubs but I don’t hit anything as consistently as my g25s. They’re starting to look a bit old now so may see if Pink Europe can refinish them for me.

If I'm not mistaken Ping will refinish for $18 per iron.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 4 months later...

I played i5's and i15's and have had G25's in the bag since they came out. I'm not sure that I see that much similarity between the i5 and the G25, except that maybe the i5 had a somewhat larger footprint than was normal for an i-series iron. I guess feel and sound are similar, for me the G25 is one of the best feeling cast clubs I've ever hit. i5 I found better through the rough, but quite a bit more forgiveness with the G25. The offset on the G25 isn't offensive, but a bit less in the long and mid irons would make them perfect for me. Finish is pretty bullet proof on them as well and I'm a fan of the no hosel look.

Anyone compare the G25 to the G410? I’m considering the G410 based on reviews I’ve read about it not being too chunky and know G25 has a cult following.

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

Heal to toe length is same other than the 410 being a tiny bit shorter in the short irons. The 410 have a little less offset and what's there is more gradually blended into the hosel and less visible.

G25's have a thicker face and sound more solid because of it. 410 sound tinny on mis hits because the face is thinner, but that thin face adds some spring effect for more distance. The 410 lofts are stronger in the long irons for more distance too.

The CFS shafts which came stock on the G25 is descending weight and the AWT 2.0 shafts for the 410 are ascending weight. Both are good shafts but quite different in feel.

Appearance wise the G25's are raw stainless steel. 410 is chrome plated over the stainless steel. The chrome adds long term durability but tends to look more tattered early in the clubs life leading to some people complaining about the finish not being durable (which is essentially untrue.)

A used set of G25's are the slam dunk value leader, assuming you can find a set that fits you. Fit is a given with 410's if you order new since they are the current model.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

That’s the best response I’ve ever gotten on here. Thank you very much!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

I played the G25 for a good amount of time, and recently picked up a set of G410s. I'm usually a forged blade snob, but have a soft spot for the G series. With all the great reviews aroubd both sets, I couldn't resist trying them out.

Bottom line, IMO, is that you cannot go wrong with either of these sets. They both represent the type of iron I would play for the rest of my life if I could only choose one set. Prior to buying the 410s, I would likely have landed with the 25s based on what I perceived to be better feel. Since getting the 410s on the course, however, I've concluded the feel/sound is absolutely lovely on anything but a bad mishit. This was a big surprise with the 410s because they sounded very loud and hard in the store.

They are long, forgiving, feel/sound great, and mask their size and forgiveness as well as anything. Pick the one that looks best to your eye and fits your budget, and go have fun!

Little update: I got out for a quick 9 this evening with the g410s. They really do make the game easier. One unexpected surprise is the wedges. I currently have the 58* Glide Stealth and a g410 U wedge. Had been planning on getting a 54* Stealth to complete the set. Currently, however, my course has a lot of thin, dormant Bermuda that makes my typical short game shots a bit dicey with my 58*. I decided to hit a number of greenside chips with the g410. I've always believed that it would be a bit hot off the face for those delicate shots, but it was really point and shoot easy. The sole performed well on those bare lies, and, man, did the grooves grab!! I might just have to add the S wedge as my "winter" wedge. Heck, I might just get the L wedge, too!

The irons were solid all day. If I have a complaint, it is that the short irons are longer than I am used to seeing. My 9 iron has typically been a solid 135 yard club. I am in the 140-145 range with this one, and need to learn to dial it down a bit. I hit several great shots with the short irons that were tracking the flag, but ended up long. Consistent distances, but longer than I planned for.

• 5 months later...

You can post a question here and see if anyone knows, but for an older club like the Diablo its unlikely you'll get an answer. You're probably going to have to pull one shaft from the set and measure it. BBGM for G25 is 1.00". What that means is that if you want your G25 7 iron to be 37" in length you will need a 36" shaft. If the shafts from the Diablos are too short you can do one of two things: i) put in a shaft extension; or ii) soft step the shafts and trim to desired length. Obviously if you soft step the shafts you'll have to purchase one additional shaft for your longest iron.