Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

> @jpdx said:

> > @vietnameeh said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > **** included the Kirkland 3 piece in their 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. https://****.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ They basically came to the same conclusions that the posters on this forum have. That it has very high spin off the wedges and irons. Consequently it is significantly shorter on full iron shots. But still one of the longer balls off of the driver. It also had some consistency issues. They rated it in the "Good" (middle) category and say that is the number 2 ball for value.

> > >

> > > what was #1?

> > >

> > read it ?

> > I think it was Bridgestone Tour B X, Zstar, and both Titleist Prov1x

> >

> > the break down was Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair and Poor.

> >

> > The Kirkland being in the good position... I am actually ok with

> >

> >

> >

> I couldn't get to it...not sure if it's the way golfwrx blocked it or firewall.

>

That could be. If you go to the MGS main page you can find it.

> @"Joe S" said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > **** included the Kirkland 3 piece in their 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. https://****.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ They basically came to the same conclusions that the posters on this forum have. That it has very high spin off the wedges and irons. Consequently it is significantly shorter on full iron shots. But still one of the longer balls off of the driver. It also had some consistency issues. They rated it in the "Good" (middle) category and say that is the number 2 ball for value.

> >

> > what was #1?

> >

>

> The Snell MTB-X was the number one Value Ball.

At anywhere from double to triple the price of the Kirkland, depending on how many you order? Maybe it IS that much better, but I doubt my game is good enough to tell the difference. Now if someone can find a better ball in the $15/doz price range, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'd rather lose a $1 ball than a $2 or $3 ball.

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Girevik said:

> > @"Joe S" said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > **** included the Kirkland 3 piece in their 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. https://****.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ They basically came to the same conclusions that the posters on this forum have. That it has very high spin off the wedges and irons. Consequently it is significantly shorter on full iron shots. But still one of the longer balls off of the driver. It also had some consistency issues. They rated it in the "Good" (middle) category and say that is the number 2 ball for value.

> > >

> > > what was #1?

> > >

> >

> > The Snell MTB-X was the number one Value Ball.

>

> At anywhere from double to triple the price of the Kirkland, depending on how many you order? Maybe it IS that much better, but I doubt my game is good enough to tell the difference. Now if someone can find a better ball in the $15/doz price range, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'd rather lose a $1 ball than a $2 or $3 ball.

For me, my swing speed is high enough and spin is a big enough problem that I'm moving away from them... They certainly weren't my ONLY problem on the course, but they weren't helping... After digging through the results, I'm trying the MG C4 Tour. At $19.99 a dozen, I'm hoping they check off most of my boxes. I'm happily giving the 2 dozen Kirkland I have in my garage to my dad. I still think they are a great value ball and should work for most golfers... They might work better for me again once I get fit for a driver, but right now, I'd rather spend an extra $7 a dozen than $500 on a new driver!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > > **** included the Kirkland 3 piece in their 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. https://****.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ They basically came to the same conclusions that the posters on this forum have. That it has very high spin off the wedges and irons. Consequently it is significantly shorter on full iron shots. But still one of the longer balls off of the driver. It also had some consistency issues. They rated it in the "Good" (middle) category and say that is the number 2 ball for value.

> > > >

> > > > what was #1?

> > > >

> > >

> > > The Snell MTB-X was the number one Value Ball.

> >

> > At anywhere from double to triple the price of the Kirkland, depending on how many you order? Maybe it IS that much better, but I doubt my game is good enough to tell the difference. Now if someone can find a better ball in the $15/doz price range, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'd rather lose a $1 ball than a $2 or $3 ball.

>

> For me, my swing speed is high enough and spin is a big enough problem that I'm moving away from them... They certainly weren't my ONLY problem on the course, but they weren't helping... After digging through the results, I'm trying the MG C4 Tour. At $19.99 a dozen, I'm hoping they check off most of my boxes. I'm happily giving the 2 dozen Kirkland I have in my garage to my dad. I still think they are a great value ball and should work for most golfers... They might work better for me again once I get fit for a driver, but right now, I'd rather spend an extra $7 a dozen than $500 on a new driver!

I wish I could get a better feel for whether the ball is hurting me or not, but I don't know how to go about it.

Sto Pro Veritate

> @dasams said:

> FYI the USGA updated their conforming ball list on May 1 and the 4 piece KP1 is still there. Here's to an early siting :smiley:

> https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

I noticed the dimples are the same amount as the 3 piece, and not the 360 of the old ball, going to be interesting to see how this one compares.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

> @zebra2955 said:

> Was in my local Costco today. They had 3 packs of the Kirkland Golves $14.99

I grabbed some Kirkland underwear the other day too.

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

> @Girevik said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > @Girevik said:

> > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > > > **** included the Kirkland 3 piece in their 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. https://****.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ They basically came to the same conclusions that the posters on this forum have. That it has very high spin off the wedges and irons. Consequently it is significantly shorter on full iron shots. But still one of the longer balls off of the driver. It also had some consistency issues. They rated it in the "Good" (middle) category and say that is the number 2 ball for value.

> > > > >

> > > > > what was #1?

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > The Snell MTB-X was the number one Value Ball.

> > >

> > > At anywhere from double to triple the price of the Kirkland, depending on how many you order? Maybe it IS that much better, but I doubt my game is good enough to tell the difference. Now if someone can find a better ball in the $15/doz price range, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'd rather lose a $1 ball than a $2 or $3 ball.

> >

> > For me, my swing speed is high enough and spin is a big enough problem that I'm moving away from them... They certainly weren't my ONLY problem on the course, but they weren't helping... After digging through the results, I'm trying the MG C4 Tour. At $19.99 a dozen, I'm hoping they check off most of my boxes. I'm happily giving the 2 dozen Kirkland I have in my garage to my dad. I still think they are a great value ball and should work for most golfers... They might work better for me again once I get fit for a driver, but right now, I'd rather spend an extra $7 a dozen than $500 on a new driver!

> I wish I could get a better feel for whether the ball is hurting me or not, but I don't know how to go about it.

>

Honestly, it’s more mental than anything... I have started to address my status as a spin monster and it’s completely changed my ball flight... for me, I nutted a driver that should have carried a sand trap and didn’t. It most likely wasn’t the balls fault, but I’m convinced it was... thus it won’t be my ball this year.

My main takeaway, and a lesson I keep relearning is its importance to play the same ball as much as possible. I don’t think different balls will have a significant overall impact, but they all behave a bit differently.

Finding one ball and playing it is, to me, is more important than finding the exact right golf ball.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @zebra2955 said:

> Was in my local Costco today. They had 3 packs of the Kirkland Golves $14.99

An absolute bargain! That is how much many of us pay for 1!

• Like 1

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 6~GW '23 Great Big Bertha for regular use

- 6~GW Apex DCB for occasional use 

ChipR

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

> @monks66 said:

> yes, bring the K4 back! i check website every chance I get hoping to see that black box for sale

You had better rub your lucky horseshoe because I think we'll never see that ball again. The hope is we'll see a new 4 piece ball that's been on the approved ball list for a year now.

> @Girevik said:

> > @"Joe S" said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > >

> > > what was #1?

> > >

> >

> > The Snell MTB-X was the number one Value Ball.

>

> At anywhere from double to triple the price of the Kirkland, depending on how many you order? Maybe it IS that much better, but I doubt my game is good enough to tell the difference. Now if someone can find a better ball in the $15/doz price range, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'd rather lose a $1 ball than a $2 or $3 ball.

I would love a $15/doz ball that works as well as more expensive balls. The K3 is not it. Which is a pity, I gave it a good tryout and was seriously hoping it would be a good budget-friendly option for me.

But if I'm willing to settle for a ball that doesn't work as well as a Pro V1x or AVX or Chrome Soft or TP5 (or the original K-sIg for that matter) then I might as well use random balls I can find on the course and pick up for free.

The K3 is just not a very good ball by modern standards. Compared to what was on the market circa 2004 it would be fine. But everybody and his brother sells better balls than that nowadays.

Postscript: I was also a bit disappointed with the MTB Black (seemed to play half a club short off the irons and maybe a bit short off driver) and the original MTB Red did not work at all for me (worse than K3). The one true bargain option I've found that works 99% as well as a Pro V1x for me is the Maxfli Tour X for $25/dozen. The performance difference between that $2.00 ball and the $1.25 K3 is profound.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > > **** included the Kirkland 3 piece in their 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide. https://****.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/ They basically came to the same conclusions that the posters on this forum have. That it has very high spin off the wedges and irons. Consequently it is significantly shorter on full iron shots. But still one of the longer balls off of the driver. It also had some consistency issues. They rated it in the "Good" (middle) category and say that is the number 2 ball for value.

> > > >

> > > > what was #1?

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > At anywhere from double to triple the price of the Kirkland, depending on how many you order? Maybe it IS that much better, but I doubt my game is good enough to tell the difference. Now if someone can find a better ball in the $15/doz price range, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'd rather lose a $1 ball than a $2 or $3 ball.

>

> I would love a $15/doz ball that works as well as more expensive balls. The K3 is not it. Which is a pity, I gave it a good tryout and was seriously hoping it would be a good budget-friendly option for me.

>

> But if I'm willing to settle for a ball that doesn't work as well as a Pro V1x or AVX or Chrome Soft or TP5 (or the original K-sIg for that matter) then I might as well use random balls I can find on the course and pick up for free.

>

> The K3 is just not a very good ball by modern standards. Compared to what was on the market circa 2004 it would be fine. But everybody and his brother sells better balls than that nowadays.

>

> Postscript: I was also a bit disappointed with the MTB Black (seemed to play half a club short off the irons and maybe a bit short off driver) and the original MTB Red did not work at all for me (worse than K3). The one true bargain option I've found that works 99% as well as a Pro V1x for me is the Maxfli Tour X for $25/dozen. The performance difference between that $2.00 ball and the $1.25 K3 is profound.

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @"Joe S" said:

> > > >

> > > > what was #1?

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> I would love a $15/doz ball that works as well as more expensive balls. The K3 is not it. Which is a pity, I gave it a good tryout and was seriously hoping it would be a good budget-friendly option for me.

>

> But if I'm willing to settle for a ball that doesn't work as well as a Pro V1x or AVX or Chrome Soft or TP5 (or the original K-sIg for that matter) then I might as well use random balls I can find on the course and pick up for free.

>

> The K3 is just not a very good ball by modern standards. Compared to what was on the market circa 2004 it would be fine. But everybody and his brother sells better balls than that nowadays.

>

> Postscript: I was also a bit disappointed with the MTB Black (seemed to play half a club short off the irons and maybe a bit short off driver) and the original MTB Red did not work at all for me (worse than K3). The one true bargain option I've found that works 99% as well as a Pro V1x for me is the Maxfli Tour X for $25/dozen. The performance difference between that $2.00 ball and the $1.25 K3 is profound.

Works for me. I've hit both the 3 and 4 piece Kirkland. Have hit drives with both well over 320 yards, and distance off the irons is pretty similar. Haven't noticed any ballooning with the K3, and neither has my son. He's hit the 3 piece well over 340 yards a few times, but he's a lot younger than me, and a former baseball player. Won't let him near my 4 piece Ksigs, lol. He plays ProV1's, as I used to, and he loves the K3's when I give him some to play with. Very good ball, and when you factor in the price, unbeatable.

• Like 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @"North Butte" said:

>

>

>

>

Sorry NB but gotta go against you on this one. K3 is a fine ball. It spins nicely and checks up on approach shots, and I haven't noticed any lesser distance compared to other balls I play like the Z Star and B330 RX. A good shot always winds up where it should. Only knock I'll levy is that it doesn't feel quite as nice as a as some other balls I play but I can live with that. I'm playing shovel irons anyway so feel isn't a priority in my world. As long as the performance is good, I'm good.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I spent a three-day weekend doing side by side comparisons of K3, K-Sig and AVX. The K3 spun back off greens a couple times after full short iron or wedge shots. It was blown around noticeably (compared to the other two balls) in a 10-15mph wind. The AVX was nigh immune to headwinds or crosswinds of that strength, the K-Sig was only slightly affected and the K3 was affected more than twice as much as K-Sig.

It reminded me of some of those really firm Callaway Tour iX/Tour iZ balls from a decade or so back. Just not predictable when it was going to spin and stop versus spin and suck back. As a short hitter it takes a very "special" ball to ever spin back off the green for me. I also thought K3 was a fraction shorter than the other two balls, although not enough to say for sure and not enough to disqualify an otherwise good ball (if it were good for my game).

Feel, I never notice. All golf balls feel pretty much alike to me, with the exception of the sound they make off the driver which I get used to in just a few shots.

My guess is this (not being a good enough golfer to say for sure). I suspect K3 is like some of the older generation balls that have lots of spin but not necessarily lots of spin separation. Seemed like a throwback to the mid-00's to me. Back then I used to play Surlyn balls because I just couldn't get consistent performance out of the urethane balls of the day. That's what playing K3 was like.

> @"North Butte" said:

> I spent a three-day weekend doing side by side comparisons of K3, K-Sig and AVX. The K3 spun back off greens a couple times after full short iron or wedge shots. It was blown around noticeably (compared to the other two balls) in a 10-15mph wind. The AVX was nigh immune to headwinds or crosswinds of that strength, the K-Sig was only slightly affected and the K3 was affected more than twice as much as K-Sig.

>

> It reminded me of some of those really firm Callaway Tour iX/Tour iZ balls from a decade or so back. Just not predictable when it was going to spin and stop versus spin and suck back. As a short hitter it takes a very "special" ball to ever spin back off the green for me. I also thought K3 was a fraction shorter than the other two balls, although not enough to say for sure and not enough to disqualify an otherwise good ball (if it were good for my game).

>

> Feel, I never notice. All golf balls feel pretty much alike to me, with the exception of the sound they make off the driver which I get used to in just a few shots.

>

> My guess is this (not being a good enough golfer to say for sure). I suspect K3 is like some of the older generation balls that have lots of spin but not necessarily lots of spin separation. Seemed like a throwback to the mid-00's to me. Back then I used to play Surlyn balls because I just couldn't get consistent performance out of the urethane balls of the day. That's what playing K3 was like.

you seem to be the outlier, everyone else seems to love the ball.

• Like 1

Maltby TSW sand wedge

I have tried both K4 and K3. For me, very little difference between the two. More spin with one sometimes, more distance with the other sometimes. Im not good enough to put the same swing and contact on every shot to get the best results. Im sure there are other balls that give better performance, but for the price both balls are hard to beat. Was cleaning up the garage and found some K4s I had forgot. Now have 19 dozen. Will return the 8 dozen K3s.

timothym

• 2 weeks later...

> @"North Butte" said:

> I spent a three-day weekend doing side by side comparisons of K3, K-Sig and AVX. The K3 spun back off greens a couple times after full short iron or wedge shots. It was blown around noticeably (compared to the other two balls) in a 10-15mph wind. The AVX was nigh immune to headwinds or crosswinds of that strength, the K-Sig was only slightly affected and the K3 was affected more than twice as much as K-Sig.

... I am with you. K3 just spins to much for me. Not that I notice ballooning or atrocious wind performance although certainly not as good in the wind as my gamer TP5x, but full shots spin back much more than any ball I play including TP5x, Z Star, Maxfli Tour X and K4. Perfect ball for my wife though, who needs more spin and added about 10yds to her tee shots now averaging around 210 up from 200.

... Speaking of Kirkland balls, I was shocked to see in my Costco magazine that only 7% of members played golf. So while us forum members are so very interested in Kirklands balls, 93% of Costco members are not. No wonder thy are not a priority for Costco.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x