Fell in love with walking

Comments

• mvhoffmanmvhoffman Mikey NEPAMembers  1716WRX Points: 218Handicap: 10Posts: 1,716 Platinum Tees

So does anyone have any experience with adding a Sunday bag holder onto a stroller? Yeah... we just found out!!!

Posted:
    Driver - Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
                                                          Aldila RIP Phenom 70g X Shaft
                                                          Aldila NV 65 Green 65g S Shaft tipped 3/4in
    Fairway wood - 2015 Callaway Great Big Bertha 18* w Aldilla NV 75g S shaft
    Hybrid - Adams Pro Hybrid @ 20* w Aldilla NV 105g S shaft
    Irons/Wedges - Ping i25 4-LW w Ping CFS Stiff shafts
    Putter - Bastain Milled Flow Neck Fusion Golf Prototype w UST FF shaft @ 33"
    Ball - Callaway SuperSoft/SuperHot / Callaway Chrome Soft X
    Grips - Golf Pride NDMC Standard
    Putter Grip: Golf Pride SNSR Straight 104
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mothonmothon Members  65WRX Points: 65Posts: 65 Bunkers

I always prefer to walk unless I am playing in a scramble tournament. It is much easier to focus on my game when I walk. Also unless everyone hits it straight I feel like groups of 3 or more are actually slower than walking.

Posted:
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members  549WRX Points: 378Handicap: 8Posts: 549 Golden Tee

I am happy to say my son (turns 10 next week) essentially hates to take a golf cart. We spend 90% of our rounds walking and it is the way the game should be played. The difference in time is negligible and as someone said unless everyone is hitting the same area foursomes are actually slower when they use carts.

Posted:
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • llamontllamont Members  1912WRX Points: 161Posts: 1,912 Platinum Tees

Another preferred walker here... I like getting my steps in and walking allows me to slow down and breathe. The courses I play are flat enough to hoof around with no issues. I usually walk with a push cart but I picked up a Mizzy Sunday bag recently and I walked/carried during my last 18 hole round and I didn’t have any fatigue. That same round I played with an 86 year young gentleman who walked and carried his clubs in a Jones carry bag. I really enjoy taking in the experience at my own leisure and walking allows that.

Pixelated pic of a “healthy” Wiley that picked up the scent of a Corgi that accompanied his golf-practicing owner to the range earlier this evening (01/08/2020) during my range/practice green session. The Corgi and his golf companion left about 10 minutes before I snapped this pic.

Posted:
    Post edited by llamont on
    I love golf
  • msgmsg Members  403WRX Points: 97Handicap: 8Posts: 403 Greens

I love walking since the first time I played golf. Something about riding and playing that I do not like. I feel like my timing or tempo gets screwed when I ride. Lately, I have been aiming for 10,000 steps per day to stay active in the winter.

Posted:
  • ButchGannButchGann Members  14WRX Points: 27Handicap: 10Posts: 14 Bunkers

Posted earlier in this thread, but always enjoy coming back and reading it.  One of my golf goals again this year is to walk more than ride.  I do use a Clicgear, but sometimes wish I would have stayed with my carry bag.  I agree with one poster that said there is just something about the look of carrying your bag.

I play the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail course quite a bit, and while many are definitely walkable, the distance between greens and tees make it almost like 22-23 holes versus 18.  Most of my walking rounds I admit are those nine holers are the RTJ par-3 courses.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CHall1525CHall1525 Members  17WRX Points: 10Handicap: MehPosts: 17 Bunkers

I'm with you OP, really starting to like walking. Got a push cart, despite my previous ego hold ups, and really like slowing down and getting to think about the upcoming shot and taking in the golf course. Just have to figure out how to get more beer in my setup. Now this summer with its 100 degrees here I may not be walking much.

Posted:
  • aramirez24aramirez24 Members  97WRX Points: 56Handicap: 20Posts: 97 Fairways

Love this. Congrats! Nothing like being a dad. My little man seems to love rolling around with me on the course.

Posted:
  • bazinkybazinky Members  1714WRX Points: 198Posts: 1,714 Platinum Tees

There is nothing I love better than walking early weekend round, phone ringer off, no sounds but nature and cussing of your of your golf buds, and an ice cold beer or a G & T at the 19th hole as we settle bets ...

I'm firmly in the push cart camp, however. Just hit 50, and I need to take as much stress off my neck and shoulders as possible.

One of the greatest things about golf is the opportunity to get away from technology for a few hours. It's really amazing how recharged I am when I'm able to play regularly. Thankfully, my wife has realized this and fully supports my golf addiction.

Posted:
    Cobra LTD 9.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • andrueandrue Members  1489WRX Points: 260Handicap: 21Posts: 1,489 Platinum Tees

Lithium batteries and electric motors aren't 'technology'. Save your aging body even more stress and go electric :)

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • mtngerry59mtngerry59 Members  75WRX Points: 31Handicap: 4Posts: 75 Fairways

There s a reason it’s called a good walk spoiled ! Not a good golf cart ride spoiled !!!!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Kbrown042Kbrown042 Members  8WRX Points: 22Handicap: 10Posts: 8 Bunkers

Walking changes the game. I have shot my best rounds walking probably because there are less distractions and focus on me and not have many empties we have in the cart.

Posted:
  • Hateto3PuttHateto3Putt Smoking Makes You Look Cool! Members  6360WRX Points: 313Posts: 6,360 Titanium Tees

Walkable courses in/near Pittsburgh... Blackhawk, North Park, South Park, Shadow Lakes, Stonecrest, Bob O'conner (Schenley Park).

I agree, Pittsburgh has some tracks that are just about impassable on foot, but those listed above are literally a walk in the park.

Where do you normally play?

Posted:

X________________________________
    Sign Here

• MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members  733WRX Points: 459Posts: 733 Golden Tee

I usually play at the Madison Club. I really like the place, but I'm not walking that course.

Of the ones you've listed, I've only played the Schenley Park course, but I'll definitely give the others a look. Especially Shadow Lakes, which isn't too far from where I live. Thanks!

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8
  • DannyODannyO Members  1WRX Points: 6Posts: 1 Starters
    Posted:
  • REJREJ Members  139WRX Points: 77Handicap: Too HighPosts: 139 Fairways

Cart drivers stress me out with all their flying around the course like a highway. I wish more people would get off their butts and walk. I understand seniors and disabled people using a cart. Walking 9-18 holes is a good workout

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZTB481ZTB481 MGOBLUE Members  32WRX Points: 75Handicap: 10Posts: 32 Bunkers

I started walking again this fall/winter. Lightened my bag by going with graphite shafts in the irons and going with only 11 clubs. Really enjoy the peace and quiet when I walk and the opportunity to slow life down. When summer gets here will have to see if my 63 year old body can handle the heat and humidity.

Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32464WRX Points: 2,437Posts: 32,464 Titanium Tees

You may want to purchase a push cart, especially on those hot, humid days.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• aramirez24aramirez24 Members  97WRX Points: 56Handicap: 20Posts: 97 Fairways

Played 36 holes on Saturday. 18 in a cart in the morning and 18 walking after lunch. I played the walking round almost 10 shots better. I'm convinced that walking makes me concentrate on the next shot coming up so much better.

Posted:
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members  1698WRX Points: 129Posts: 1,698 Platinum Tees

Im now 64 as I used to walk up till I turned 61. I may walk again as long as the course isn't so crowded as I do seem to do my best when walking. The last time I remember walking it was in the 90's and only one other group was on the corse and they had a cart. I fond a shade tree sit down to take a small break and when I woke up my my nap I saw a bunch of buzzards flying over me. I got up quickly and finished up.

Posted:
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members  3637WRX Points: 564Handicap: 3.0Posts: 3,637 Titanium Tees

Walking is the way the game is meant to be played and enjoyed. Good on the OP and all the posters who took up walking :).

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    TaylorMade Sim Max Rescue 19° w/ HZRDUS Red 105 6.5
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 3-9 w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Cleveland RTX4 Raw 48°,53°,58° w/ DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Copper

Advertisement
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2073WRX Points: 784Posts: 2,073 Platinum Tees

Most places treat you like a second class citizen if you want to walk. Like you are some kind of cheapskate just looking to avoid the cart fee.

I attempted to play at a course on the outer banks while on vacation. It had rained hard but they were going to open the course at around 1:00 in the afternoon, cart path only. I asked about walking (I always walk when it is cart path only) and was told no walking, ever.

Posted:
  • exgolfproexgolfpro Members  839WRX Points: 151Posts: 839 Golden Tee

53 yrs old and walk every round I play. Most days I carry, although I do own a BagBoy push cart and will use if if the temps near 100*. I don't know if I am fast or slow, but I can tell you I wait on groups every single day. If noone is in front of me, I can get around in about 2hrs 45 min. I've walked since I began playing the game at age 9, so I don't know any other way. I am a walking snob and proud of it.

Funny story, I've got a very old Ashworth tshirt that on the back has the 'walking man' logo and underneath it says "Its all about the walking". I had a lady ask me what that meant. I tried to explain it, but in truth, if you have to ask, you will never understand.

Posted:
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2496WRX Points: 500Handicap: 3Posts: 2,496 Platinum Tees

It's so much nicer and easy to enjoy the round for me when I walk. Also, I feel more immersed in the golf itself, and the course for that matter. Nothing beats walking when the weather/terrain permits. 67F, sunny, low humidity, a gentle breeze, and I'm in heaven.

Posted:

'16 M2 10.5*, Fuji Pro TS 63X 43.5"
    Cobra F8 5/6w 18.5*, Fuji Pro Xlr8 TS 61X  42.5"
    Ping G410 2 Cross 17*, Project X SD 5.5
    '17 Cobra OS  4-G, XP85 R300
    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10 2 other putters...)

B330-RX

• ttttttt1432ttttttt1432 Members  18WRX Points: 15Posts: 18 Bunkers

Love a good walk - there's no better way to enjoy the game. I've come across several courses in my area that charge the same price for walking vs riding. Which is ridiculous.

Posted:
  • MOABMOAB Members  77WRX Points: 63Posts: 77 Fairways

Absolutely the best way to play the game.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 86020818602081 Members  2053WRX Points: 223Handicap: 10Posts: 2,053 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Post edited by 8602081 on
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32464WRX Points: 2,437Posts: 32,464 Titanium Tees

My biggest golf accomplishment for 2019 was walking 36 holes. At 64 I take a push cart...carrying would be a bit too much.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• jungwjd7jungwjd7 seattle, WAMembers  58WRX Points: 21Posts: 58 Bunkers

I recently fall in love with playing single and walking.

With the rangefinder, easy to measure the distance hit and walk.

Posted:

Taylormade SIM MAX 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD VR 6S
    Taylormade SIM MAX D 3W 16 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7S
    Taylormade SIM MAX 3H 19 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85S
    Taylormade 4-P P790 17’ Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 120S
    Callway Mack Daddy 4 48(10), 52(10), 56(10)
    Titlist SM7 60(12)
    Toulon Las Vegas

Advertisement
  • HawerchuckHawerchuck Members  5WRX Points: 33Posts: 5 Bunkers

I don’t think I would golf if I had to ride in cart all the time.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.