Just how tall are these guys again?

Golfnutgalen

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stood next to Tiger a couple of times and we were about the same height; I'm 6'0 without shoes. We weren't shoulder to shoulder so he could have been a little shorter or a little taller - hard to tell for sure.

I've been to several tour events and here's my take:

VJ is a big guy -at least 6' 3", maybe 6' 4".

Phil is easily 6' 3"

Rory is smaller than I imagined - probably 5' 9"

Oostheizen is bigger than I thought he would be - probably 5' 10" - 5' 11" with broad shoulders

Most of the guys are bigger in person than they appear on TV.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

im just below 5'6"

I was amazed at how many guys I looked in the eyes who were telling me they were 5'7" -5'9" my rookie year in '90

Kind of like my club when I tell members I fly my driver 260, and they all tell me I fly it further. They can't be hitting it 300 if I'm flying it past them at 260!

That's the absolute best, LMAO.....

You hit your normal drive, flyin it 260-265

Jerk-off: WOW, you bombed that. That's 310-320, easy

You: No, that's about 275-280, tops

Jerk-off(hits his drive): No Dude, I hit that 290-300, and you're 30-40 past me. That's an easy 315-320+

You:ok

Don't ya love this game?

I hope that you're well and having a nice season :)

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Back at the 2014 PGA, I was around several tee boxes and stood next to Tiger, Rory, Rickie, Phil, and others.

For what it's worth, I'm 5' 11 3/4" 235 and built like a true line backer, not a golf announcer linebacker.

-Tiger, is about 6'1 as he was just a tad taller then me. Like others mentioned he isn't "big" he does have broad shoulders, tiny waist and was what I would call ripped, but def not linebacker build, more like a db.

-Els and Vj definitely 6'3+ big guys.

-Rickie probably 5'5-5'6 tops. Little dude.

-Rory is about 5'8-5'9 and is a smaller guy too. He's wasn't as ripped as Tiger, but definitely not a big guy either.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

When I saw Couples, Greg Norman and Arnie in person they were shorter than I had envisioned.

Always thought Norman was 6'2' but he can't be taller than 6', I think he is built a lot like Tiger, very athletic with broad shoulders and a thin waste,but not that tall. Couples can't be more than 5'10" and Arnie in his older age has shrunk to 5'8" by my estimation.

Jack used to be fairly tall at around 5'11" but I am guessing old age has shrunk him a good 2 inches.

It happens.

Vijay & Els are the two who seem taller than the listed 6'2" & 6'3". (Or else they are the two that don't fudge it a bit)

If Tiger is a linebacker then Ernie is an NBA center. :)

Definitely on Norman & Freddie-

No way he's over 6'. Yea, Freddie was the same height as my Bro, who's 5'10".

I always get a chuckle when they list Norman as 6'2" tall.

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

im just below 5'6"

I was amazed at how many guys I looked in the eyes who were telling me they were 5'7" -5'9" my rookie year in '90

Kind of like my club when I tell members I fly my driver 260, and they all tell me I fly it further. They can't be hitting it 300 if I'm flying it past them at 260!

Yup. A lot of guys lie about their height. It's amusing too, because it's not like someone isn't going to notice. I've met a couple women over the years that had guys lie about their height by 4"+. Seriously...a 5'11" woman (ex. My GF) is going to notice that you aren't 6'2", lol.

For what it's worth, I'm 5' 11 3/4" 235 and built like a true line backer, not a golf announcer linebacker.

-Tiger, is about 6'1 as he was just a tad taller then me. Like others mentioned he isn't "big" he does have broad shoulders, tiny waist and was what I would call ripped, but def not linebacker build, more like a db.

FWIW, I'm 6'2", played at 235-238lbs(225 now but soft) and was a true LB, haha

Don't ya love it when they use that "built like a LB" phrase with golfers, lol

Yea, a HS freshman LB, lmao

Thank the good Lord for the genes Bro :)

All the Best,

RP

8V4UkY7.jpg

One of my fave All-Time pics!!!

Karma, Baby, LMAO

Lord, am I a dick, lol

Don't get up, I'll let myself out :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My friend,

RP

Tom Kite was 6' 3''

And built like a LB!!

All the Best,

RP

A serious question regarding that pic of Kite-

Was that a spoof or was that a pic of him taken during a serious workout?

Thanks,

RP

Was that a spoof or was that a serious pic of him taken during a serious workout?

Thanks,

RP

If I recall correctly that was from a Gold Digest article that was one of their first serious golf related fitness issues.

But seriously who wears a diaper when they workout and why would Kite allow someone to take a picture. ROFL.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I am a legit 6'1/2" barefooted measured by NFL scouts. I am taller than a lot of guys that think they are 6'2". I don't think people really know how tall they are.

I have stood beside Tiger, VJ, Ernie, Phil, most all of them at some point. NO WAY IN HECK TIger is 6 foot tall. No way barefooted and measured accurately. Now Phil, Ernie, and VJ, yeah they are tall. Tiger, Not so much. I think Tiger would be lucky to be a legit 5'11" and most likely under that. I would bet my house on it.

And as far as the LB comments, that is just stupid. I played Fullback and a little LB in college. I could only dream of having to run iso's on a LB Tigers size. He is a midget compared to a college LB.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I am a legit 6'1/2" barefooted measured by NFL scouts. I am taller than a lot of guys that think they are 6'2". I don't think people really know how tall they are.

I've always worked off the premise that 80% of program weights/heights are off. The reason being that when myself and four of my teammates were measured by NFL/USFL scouts, only one of us was our program height. My height was correct(6'2") though my weight was 5-7lbs off, as I was listed at 242lbs, and while I hit that in the winter, my playing weight was between 235-238 my last 2 years. My BFF was an AA/Captain out of Penn State, and from our Senior year in HS through our senior year in college, he was listed at 6'2" and I was always a good 1"+ taller than him, lol.

Only when he hit the NFL(5 years) did his height change~ dropping to 6'1/2", LMAO. I said WTF, I've heard of people's spine starting to curve from their 40-50's on, but at 21yo??? What really surprised me is that my college roomie/teammate made a NFL Taxi Squad, got cut, went to the CFL for a year, where he met the Hart family, the Royal family of Pro Wrestling and he went onto WWF fame before his tragic passing some years ago. Well, I always figured that the WWF puffed those personal numbers up, both height/weight however they always stated his true numbers, 5'9"/225lbs., versus, his "program" stats, 5'10"/245, though that was his college Playing weight as a DI NG, and it was big enough to grab a Kodak 2nd Team AA and AP Honorable Mention. His heart was bigger than he was.

If 6' is the most often misquoted male height(I read that in a magazine article), then 6'2" has gotta be #2, especially for former Players, LMAO.

I'll never forget this club member who I was putting it 30-40yds past him and he swore that I was hitting it "320-330" because he hit it "290-300 all day" however he was 230-240, tops, because while hitting the ball well, I didn't put one past 270-275. Well, in a later discussion he claimed he was 6'2, and he clearly was 6', maybe 6'1/2", lmao.

Again, he looked to me and said, "you tell em, you're 6'3-6'4"," lol.

I just replied, "yea, and I hit it 330," and my Buds looked at me like I was crazier than bats*** and I walked away.

6'3"-6'4" and 330yd bombs, LMAO

Damn

Have a nice day Bro :)

My Best,

RP

I stood next to VJ and Tiger at a tournament once. I am 6'5". Vijay seemed to be about 6'2" and Tiger around 6 feet. People talk about how big Tiger is (muscle wise), Vijay was bigger. Huge shoulders. Probably would have made a good tight end 15 years ago.

Agreed Sean. Tiger's size is a real television illusion due in part to a very slender waist and good muscular definition. He's a very small framed dude up close in person (even shoulder width). Though I do think he's 6' tall, he projects smaller in person

Ernie Els, Vijay, Phil and Faldo are all big guys...tall and large frames...although Vijay appears to be made out of rubber or something, kinda like gumby...lol!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Was that a spoof or was that a serious pic of him taken during a serious workout?

Thanks,

RP

If I recall correctly that was from a Golf Digest article that was one of their first serious golf related fitness issues.

But seriously who wears a diaper when they workout and why would Kite allow someone to take a picture. ROFL.

Thanks Bro :)

He should have been suspended for that pic-

No questions asked, no defense, no appeal-

That's a friggin disgrace

Have a nice day

Always,

Richard

If 6' is the most often misquoted male height(I read that in a magazine article), then 6'2" has gotta be #2, especially for former Players, LMAO.

It is simply a result of the measurement system.

6 ft is the magic number for men in the imperial system, 180 cm in the metric system.

If you don't make these numbers, you are considered short as a male. I bet that if the US used the metric system, Tiger's official height would have been stated as 181 or 182 cm, which still is a touch shorter than 6 ft.

Greg Norman is or at least was certainly slightly taller than 6 ft. I stood next to him more than 20 years ago, he was a touch taller than I was then, and I used to be legit 182cm, when I was in my 20s. But he was really wiry, not big at all, like a top class swimmer specializing in freestyle or backstroke, maybe butterfly.

Faldo on the other hand was massive, more like a prototypical lumberjack.

Indian golfer Jeev Milka Singh was clearly taller than myself, and his height listing on the European Tour website is a bit of a puzzle. It says 6ft 1 1/4in, which would mean about 186 cm, which seems correct to me, but on the other hand, they write 183cm, which isn't even the correct conversion.

I was also surprised by the fact that Darren Clarke did not seem to be much taller than myself, when I stood next to him. Big hands, big forearms and a huge head, but not that tall, I would say that he was about 185cm, maybe 187. Officially he is 6ft 3 1/2in, given as 189cm on the European Tour website, which again isn't even the correct conversion, because it would mean 192cm. And I cannot imagine that this is correct.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Forget height. What strikes me when I see these guys in person is how skinny they are compared to how they look on TV. The camera really does add 10 lbs, at least.

Yep, I agree. I was surprised how thin some of these guys are in person.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Forget height. What strikes me when I see these guys in person is how skinny they are compared to how they look on TV. The camera really does add 10 lbs, at least.

Yep, I agree. I was surprised how thin some of these guys are in person.

Not me.......

All The Best Bro,

RP

I will also add that its very strange to see or meet celebs/athletes in person. When you watch somebody on TV for years and you see them in person, it distorts your reality somewhat because they are never as big as they look on TV. One of the greatest things about the PGA Tour is the average Joe can stand inches from their athletic heroes. You just don't get proximity like that with anything else.