I really don't see the point in scrambles

Im not a big fan for scrambles either. Most of the time, they are for fundraising. Last one I played had us come in with the fourth lowest score but since they did blind draw format we ended up winning a free round. They were giving out golf clubs, bags, golf balls and we get to play the damn course over, Which I guess aint to bad.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SilverBullets' timestamp='1401736558' post='9415467']
Im all for scrambles which benefit a charity or some type of fundraiser. But a scramble which isn't for some greater cause is just useless.
[/quote]

I've never seen a scramble that wasn't a fundraiser for charity. I certainly wouldn't sign up for such a thing.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1401814033' post='9422067']
Yet again, I'm amazed at the number of GOLFWRX'ers who think WAY TOO much of themselves and need to get a life.
[/quote]

yep! I play in at least 16 individual or two man formats a year for my men's league, 3 of those are two day events. so a 4 man scramble to begin the year and get out with friends outside that league and booze on the course, is not taking away from my other events. also, the few scrambles at the end of the season here give us time to take a break from the indy tourney schedule and again, just have some good fun out there. there are plenty of days to play, and I am in Denver, where 3 months of the year are basically off limits. Scrambles are for fun. simple as that. (so is my men's league, but still, there is a little pressure there and some good competition.)

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

If you dont like them or dont want to donate dont play...... Most people that go are there in support of the many good causes the money goes to. I ran one last year and donated the money to a high school girl with brain cancer and her mom called me crying because she thought we were going to give her a few hundred dollars which turned out to be alot more due to the many gracious people in my town. We only charge $60 and that gets you golf fees, free beer/drinks, steak dinner, hotdogs at turn, coozie, and all 100 golfers got a door prize. My goal is to have the participants leave with more than they paid and still make a good amount to donate.

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1401748153' post='9416807']
Yeah, I love scrambles. Free beer, lying, cheating, crashing golf carts...and these are the law enforcement ones!

If it gets me away from work, I'm in. I never expect to win and try to have a great time. My group of guys are mid to high handicap and I make sure we don't fudge our score. Did I mention I never expect to win?
[/quote]

funny you should mention the law enforcement ones. I played in one last year and all I can say is.... wow.... chasing each other in carts with roman candles, throwing cherry bombs and other small explosives within striking distance of their feet, rolling carts in ditches.... at least there were no duels. I will stick to my cash donations from now on for the PBA.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1401809159' post='9421341']
[size=4][quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1401807310' post='9421119'][/size]
They allow people who suck to get out and find some level of enjoyment in the game.

Being the vast majority if scrambles are charitable, you get substantially more participants who would normally never play a "tournament".

You can play drunk.

There are often scantily clad volunteers ( if you play the good ones).

:)
[/quote]

RRF, the problem with our scrambles is that you really don't want the volunteers to be scantily clad (shudders at the thought!) :fie:[size=4] :fie:[/size]
[/quote]

Yea, some of you guys are doing it all wrong.

:)

Some of my favorites have had a dunk tank, wet tee shirt hole and stripper pole competition. One had girls literally jumping on trampolin es back when that was a thing.

Perks of Florida life I guess..... Lotza Hooters, wing houses and other applicable local businesses with talent on tap.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

There was a legendary tournament run at a west suburban Chicago golf course...there are accounts that were even worse and more detailed that what's here.

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]NAPERVILLE, Ill. It’s golf gone wild at a suburban course, outraging residents who live in the neighborhood.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Now, police are investigating a bikini party sponsored by a strip club to see if any laws were broken.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]The golf outing took place Monday afternoon in Naperville.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]On the surface it was a typical afternoon on the links with carts and clubs. But as CBS 2’s Kristyn Hartman reports, one angry resident captured some of the action on tape.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]“It was happening all out here where anybody could see,” Naperville resident Cathy Jaeger says. “I would say it was pretty close to X-rated.”[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Her neighbor, Shelly Klugston, agrees.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]“We didn’t even open our curtains because it was just so crazy,” she says.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]It was so crazy, Cathy called police and videotaped what appears to be a mix of golf and “Girls Gone Wild” at the Country Lakes Golf Club.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]“We did observe young women in bikinis with male golfers, but we didn't observe any illicit activity,” Chief David Dial says.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Even so, Dial says his department is investigating if there was bad behavior when members of his force weren’t there.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]They have a copy of Cathy’s tape, which shows at least one scantily clad woman sitting on a man’s lap and another assisting a golfer in a very suggestive way.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Police say the women were from a gentleman’s club that rented the course for the day.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]“I am told the girls were auctioned off to the golfers,” Dial said.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Witnesses say the golfers seemed more interested in the girls than the game.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]“I don't think our kids should be witnessing things like this in broad daylight in their own backyards,” said Jaeger.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]The golf course wasn’t talking, and neither was the gentleman’s club.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Police say they’re investigating a range of things from possible liquor violations to disorderly conduct, public indecency, even prostitution.[/i][/size][/color]

[color=#3E3E3E][size=3][i]Another question remains of whether off-duty officers from other agencies were working security for the event.[/i][/size][/color]

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401810554' post='9421627']
[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1401809672' post='9421451']
[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401808757' post='9421289']
[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1401800476' post='9420265']
[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401800052' post='9420203']
So to all those who are throwing out the "it's for a good cause", "you're supporting a charity" stuff, why do you need to get a round of golf out of it in order to support them? If they're so worthy, why not just write a check?

After all, if it's about the charity, why do you need to get anything at all out of it?
[/quote]

Who says we/they don't??? I do both. Especially for causes that are close to me.
And why can't I get a fun round of golf for the money that I'm donating?

Some causes don't have a set place to simply drop a check. A golf tournament is a way to get people involved, to donate, at a set time. Like StLouis stated earlier from his even this year, a well run event should pull in the neighborhood of $10k for the charity. What's wrong with that? All while "giving" a round of golf to the donors...
[/quote]

How much did the round(and all the stuff that comes with it) take off the top of what you "donated"? If the money is for sick kids, wouldn't the money that went to pay for your round, etc., be better used if it went, you know, to the kids?

And I have never heard of a charity that didn't have several ways to donate to them. Unless they are now defunct. *Every* charity will make it as easy as possibly to give them money.
[/quote]

Really? Raising $10k in one day is a bad thing to you??? It gets people that wouldn't otherwise donate $$$$ to donate. Maybe its the "[b]what's in it for me"[/b]syndrome for some, maybe it's habit of charities doing tournaments. I can tell you that I have been involved in 3 charity tournaments and we raised over $40k, and that was 10 years ago.

And, in case you missed it, I stated that I donate in several ways. Cash. Check. Bar nights. Raffles. Walks. Golf tournaments. My time.

If you don't want to play in charity scrambles, don't. But quite frankly paying $100 a person for a round of golf that would typically cost me $50 doesn't bother me. I *could* pay the $50 to play, then cut them a check for $50, but spending that time with other people with the same mindset to raise money for that cause isn't a burden to me as it seems to be for others. (And if you set up the tournament, food, and prizes properly, the "take" should be in the 35% range.)
[/quote]

35%. And that's a *should*. So not only do you(generic you, not you specifically) get something, but there's a bunch of people who get paid before the charity. And that doesn't strike you as backwards at all?

The "what's in it for me" is especially awful. I'm convinced most people don't participate because they think it's a good cause, it's so they can say "Look at how great a person I am for doing this for a good cause."

At least you're paying out of your own pocket in order to "do something", not collecting pledges like some "charities."
[/quote]

Wow - so you're knocking the "what's in it for me?" crowd at the same time you're knocking the "it's for a good cause" crowd? You knock the people who (you claim) are only in it to be seen doing good while you simultaneously criticize the people who are simply doing something that they would do anyway, at an additional cost to them, because the cause is near and dear to them? So how do *you* donate, and why?

Once upon a time I worked for a nonprofit, and part of my job was to organize, promote, and manage events. For us the primary benefit of events wasn't the money raised at the event (which could be anywhere from $5-6k to $50-60k) but the money raised *because* of the event. We couldn't have gotten by on the money we raised from our core patrons asking their friends to donate, but when our core patrons brought friends to events we "converted" anywhere from 25-60% of the the new folks as annual donors. Even a small percentage of the ones that never attended another event sent at least 1 additional donation. And scrambles are one of the best ways to meet new patrons - it wasn't uncommon to have a single "core" patron bring 3 new folks to fill out their foursome.

That doesn't begin to cover all the avenues for fundraising at a scramble. As much as half of the money we raised with scrambles came from business patrons paying to sponsor holes. I won't bore everyone here, but those "moligans" are usually $5 a pop, and thanks to the beauty of ATMs players have $20s, and nobody likes asking a charity for change :)

Yes, there are people that need to be paid for the nice things that make the scramble work, but I don't think they're getting paid as much as you think. Done properly, events like charity scrambles are symbiotic - everybody wins.

Hell, the last scramble I played in was a fundraiser for a community soccer league - a buddy's boss wanted to play and they couldn't get 2 other guys from the shop to play (on the company dime no less), so he invited me. I played, I donated, and now I coach one of the soccer teams (and by the time I finish whipping myself into a frenzy over how many misconceptions you have about how charity events work I'll probably end up organizing next year's scramble).

Sorry to be so long-winded, but that level of sanctimonious ignorance really winds me up. I think I'll go play a little golf to calm down. :-)

[quote name='El Kabong' timestamp='1401824937' post='9423427']

Wow - so you're knocking the "what's in it for me?" crowd at the same time you're knocking the "it's for a good cause" crowd? You knock the people who (you claim) are only in it to be seen doing good while you simultaneously criticize the people who are simply doing something that they would do anyway, at an additional cost to them, because the cause is near and dear to them? So how do *you* donate, and why?

Once upon a time I worked for a nonprofit, and part of my job was to organize, promote, and manage events. For us the primary benefit of events wasn't the money raised at the event (which could be anywhere from $5-6k to $50-60k) but the money raised *because* of the event. We couldn't have gotten by on the money we raised from our core patrons asking their friends to donate, but when our core patrons brought friends to events we "converted" anywhere from 25-60% of the the new folks as annual donors. Even a small percentage of the ones that never attended another event sent at least 1 additional donation. And scrambles are one of the best ways to meet new patrons - it wasn't uncommon to have a single "core" patron bring 3 new folks to fill out their foursome.

That doesn't begin to cover all the avenues for fundraising at a scramble. As much as half of the money we raised with scrambles came from business patrons paying to sponsor holes. I won't bore everyone here, but those "moligans" are usually $5 a pop, and thanks to the beauty of ATMs players have $20s, and nobody likes asking a charity for change :)

Yes, there are people that need to be paid for the nice things that make the scramble work, but I don't think they're getting paid as much as you think. Done properly, events like charity scrambles are symbiotic - everybody wins.

Hell, the last scramble I played in was a fundraiser for a community soccer league - a buddy's boss wanted to play and they couldn't get 2 other guys from the shop to play (on the company dime no less), so he invited me. I played, I donated, and now I coach one of the soccer teams (and by the time I finish whipping myself into a frenzy over how many misconceptions you have about how charity events work I'll probably end up organizing next year's scramble).

Sorry to be so long-winded, but that level of sanctimonious ignorance really winds me up. I think I'll go play a little golf to calm down. :-)
[/quote]

El great post...... Im not going to feed this troll, but I will share a great saying I learned a long time ago...... "If you cant give when you are poor, what makes you think you will give if you are rich."

Some people just dont give a rat@$$ and its ok. To all those that volunteer, donate I thank you and I continue to thank you as the people that receive your gracious donations really appreciate it!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1401826557' post='9423653']
[quote name='El Kabong' timestamp='1401824937' post='9423427']

[/quote]

El great post...... Im not going to feed this troll, but I will share a great saying I learned a long time ago...... "If you cant give when you are poor, what makes you think you will give if you are rich."

Some people just dont give a rat@$$ and its ok. To all those that volunteer, donate I thank you and I continue to thank you as the people that receive your gracious donations really appreciate it!
[/quote]

Exactly and there are two types of donors and both are equally important. There are the type of people who simply donate by writing a check and people who donate by giving there time (and in many cases people do both). But just because someone writes a check, be it for the tax write off, to get a better perception or because they really believe in the greater cause, does not make them any less important. The money is needed and is gladly accepted. So being in it for the 'what's in it for me?' or just being in it to be seen is still a heck of a lot more than not being in it at all.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I play in scrambles to spend some time with friends for a good cause. Not to play golf. If we somehow manage to win something we all see it as just a bonus to the rest of the great time we usually have together.

Where else can a hole-in-one net you a car lease for two years?

Or a putting contest net you $5000 cash if you sink the final putt?

Or a long drive competition net you four free rounds complete with carts?

All what you make of it, OP. As in all things in life, it is all in what you make of it.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401800052' post='9420203']
So to all those who are throwing out the "it's for a good cause", "you're supporting a charity" stuff, why do you need to get a round of golf out of it in order to support them? If they're so worthy, why not just write a check?

After all, if it's about the charity, why do you need to get anything at all out of it?
[/quote]

Lets see .... Golf ... Good cause ... Have some fun. .... Why would you need to justify it beyond that!

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1401835830' post='9424561'][quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401800052' post='9420203']

[/quote]
Lets see .... Golf ... Good cause ... Have some fun. .... Why would you need to justify it beyond that![/quote]
You have it right in my opinion.
Exactly. It's a no pressure day to be on the course, meeting new people, hitting a few balls, and the money you spend on the day goes to a good cause instead of in someone's pockets. You could easily burn the same day at the bar, or on here.

Think of it this way. Practicing at the range only gets you so far. You play on the course for a regular tournament you have the pressure, and play your best. At a scramble you have the option to try new shots. And it doesn't affect your GHIN.

You could also be sitting in the office, bored out of your mind, surfing here or the Golfsmith site. Or playing on the companies dime.

If someone don't like scrambles, don't play in them, but that is no reason to show hostility toward those who do.

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

I've never played in a scramble that was a really good value, and there are usually a few teams that don't exactly play fairly on their way to a win. But if it's a really good cause and it's a course I've never played or rarely get to play, I just count it as a charitable contribution & leave it at that, and try to have a good time with friends.

For the OP and those who think the scramble is stupid, and has no payoff-just don't play in them. But go visit one of the charities and talk to a recipient of charity, or a volunteer, or paid staff even and learn about them. Maybe you see why these events are important to some.

For everyone who says to just donate, instead of getting an event out of it-awesome! I hope you will lead by example. I can direct you to several charities that need help and funding. But please stop chastising people who help regardless of the benefit to themselves. In the end the event benefits someone who needs it.

Anyone who plays in them to get wasted and feel like they are good people, so they can look pious as they tell people what good they did-thanks. Not the true spirit but again, your contribution helps, and maybe your "I'm so awesome and philanthropic" braggery will make someone else join next time. Do me a favor though, while you grab that miller lite, please talk to someone you were paired up with and see if this charity affects them or their family. Maybe you grow a little and help a little more?

This whole topic and argument is dumb, IMHO. Anything that raises money is great. These events are usually fundraisers-true. But for a lot of them they are awareness raisers. The charities simply aren't there to usher booze down our throats and give us a fun afternoon. They truly want you to learn about their cause. Please do so. Don't like the format? Then work with them to have a stroke play tourney, or car wash or simply go down to the Y, the Shelter the church, or the school and help out. It would be a better use of your time than sitting on golfwrx trolling.

Cheers

I am not a big fan of scrambles either but I play them for work a decent amount every year. I love the social aspect of it with co workers that you may not normally get to get laid back and have a good time. Not to mention the charity aspect of it. Im all for it and do this is many different avenues. The only part that I really hate is the 5.5+ hour rounds. I still think we can have a blast but in these type of events getting done and to the bar for more drinks and food is twice as fun as the actual round. Bad golf is fine and mostly amusing in these settings. Slow golf is torture especially on those 95 degree 1pm shotguns. let's get it going.

Titleist 910D3*
TMAG R11s 14* 3W
Titleist 910F 19*
Mizuno MP64 4-PW
Nike Method Matter B2-01

If it's a fundraiser, playing ideal golf is not the end game. It's an opportunity to contribute to something worthwhile doing something you enjoy. IMO, it's a great way to contribute to the community. I've put on 3 events as part of a memorial scholarship and the response enabled us to kick start a fund that has helped a dozen kids toward college. Don't worry, we won't ask for your donation!

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

[quote name='Mario Good Times' timestamp='1401738808' post='9415817']
There has to other golf ways to raise money. I'm so done with these scrambles. I can no longer feel ok asking my friends to play in these..
[/quote]
There should be, keep an lookout in your newspaper. Most will probably be scrambles, with a possibility of other benefit golf outings with stroke play. I really only play 2 events I play in a scramble my dad's employer hosts and is usually fun because it's a smaller outing.

The other event is a 2 day stroke tournament that the proceeds go towards a scholarship. I haven't played well enough to win in the flights, but have received a few good prizes in the raffle.

I do agree that the big scramble tournaments are probably not worth the slow play and small chance of receiving the good door/raffle prizes. Unless you strongly support the cause of tournament

OP -- you are not so much "incorrect", just looking at it from a different lens than I do. Most scrambles are marked up from the greens fees expected at that time. However, if it is to support a local event/charity, I look at it as a fund of $50-$150 and feel that the golf is complimentary to it and a great excuse to enjoy the day. The scramble effect also lessens the pressure and allows more golfer to enjoy themselves.

If a scramble is not business or club/charity related, then I usually avoid scrambles. I'd rather just go out with myself or friends/family and enjoy the day on my accord. But to each his own!

• 1 month later...

Scrambles I play in are $20 a person and that includes dinner! 1st and 2nd place teams get a money reward. Usually 1st place team ends up getting about 40-60 dollars each after money is split 4 ways. Money is low because our club doesn't have as much members as we used too! I love playing in them!! We have them every Thursday

You can find me on the golf course

Have played them through work..which were not fundraisers, but put on by companies that make money . Usually a way to say thank you to customers. Anymore I just pass on them...there is not enough free beer and food to get me to play through 6+ hours in the blaring hot sun...lol. They can be fun, but you have to be in the right mindset.The older I get, the less I'm in the right mindset...lol
Paul

[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1401737018' post='9415533']
I'll make a donation and go play real golf somewhere else. It's a 6 hour round with a bunch of people that play once a year.

The last one I played in was at a company I had just started at with my new boss - $85.

They had two groups on every tee with a shotgun start, hitting from the red tees (they changed the markers to white but I have playeb the course numerous times and knew where the tees were supposed to be).

I'm not terribly long but longer than most (avg 260ish) After the third hole the other's in my group said "We'll all try to hit the fairway first and you go last and try carry the water and/or drive the green."

It was like a pissing contest at the driving range, it defiitely wasn't golf.
[/quote]That is exactly what I do make a donation and play elsewhere. Down here they overplay them every week there are 2 or 3 sometimes more at different courses. There is so much cheating going on here that lately charities have had trouble getting enough players. I know a friend of mine who owns a golf shop is tired of them every week someone is at his shop asking for free donations. Hell you can only give away so much and stay in business

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Does anyone else play scrambles that are not charity based?

I'll play in five to ten a year, and they are just as competitive as stroke play tournaments. One round of our pro am is played in scramble format.

I just don't understand all the dislike. It's still a competition and you're still hitting shots. And hopefully you're playing with friends. Yes they take longer, but I'm prepared for that going in. We play a lot of three mans, that way you can have two teams per hole and not have the round take 5 1/2 or 6 hours.

If you're in an area that doesn't offer a lot of stroke play, then that is what you have to choose from.