J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

Update: Putter review is just about complete and will be posted next week.  It's longer than my usual review and took some time so I hope you all enjoy!

On a side note: I hit the Callaway Rogue Max LS outside and it's a great offering.  Sound and feel is improved from the Epic Speed LS and I like the matte finish a lot.  Shape is the same to my eye as the Speed LS as well.  Also hearing good things in regards to the Stealth and Cobra driver so I look forward to hitting everything over the next few months.

Edited by J13

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's - WITB- Edel PUTTER REVIEW POSTED **** page 127 with pics

I have the EAS in my Edel cart along with two of his wedges.  I gotta stop checking out this thread!  

• Like 1

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

@J13 me next!

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

The putter looks really good bro. It sounds to me though that 99% of the benefit is in the fitting, and it sounds like you had a REALLY good fitting. I can't see just blindly ordering one off the website without being fit after what you wrote. I looked and the closest fitter to me is a Golftec about 2.5 hours away...do you have any insight on the "BIG BOX" fitters vs. the in-house company fitting you received?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, m3fuz said:

I have the EAS in my Edel cart along with two of his wedges.  I gotta stop checking out this thread!  

If you're on golfwrx then you know it's impossible to not look at shiny toys 😉  I already have my eye on several drivers for 2022 to test and Im hitting my current setup great.  It's a sickness 🤣

6 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

@J13 me next!

Yes sir, you just let me know when your in town brotha.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

56 minutes ago, coreyl said:

The putter looks really good bro. It sounds to me though that 99% of the benefit is in the fitting, and it sounds like you had a REALLY good fitting. I can't see just blindly ordering one off the website without being fit after what you wrote. I looked and the closest fitter to me is a Golftec about 2.5 hours away...do you have any insight on the "BIG BOX" fitters vs. the in-house company fitting you received?

Great question. Getting fit is optimal for every club in the bag, putter included.  We would love everyone to be fit into the club, just like any manufacturer, but we also realize that not every player wants to do that. We have a lot of people order off the website or grab one off the shelves in a shop and get weight kits to fit themselves and obviously that's their prerogative.  In a nutshell, it's not our job to tell people what to do or how to do it.   We just supply the good stuff and make our recommendations and hope people enjoy the experience and products 😎

Golftec - They have our full fitting carts and would be a great place to get fit.  In house fittings are going to be great for obvious reasons but GolfTec has a very robust training program for all locations (honestly impressive how they go about it) so you would be in good hands.  Feel free to pm me as well as we are constantly adding more local and regional shops that might be more convenient to you. 

Edel PROTO

Small update: Thanks for all the questions via pm, i'll share the answers for everyone's knowledge

1. Grip - I went with standard round grip to give it a try.  Tested with it (makes sense with the system) so said why not.  Edel also has stock paddle grips and obviously other options like any oem.

2. Fitting takes about 45 min.  Depending on the fitter it could take a little longer or shorter.

3. EAS putters are not being replaced anytime soon but other options might pop up in the future 😉

Edel PROTO

On 12/3/2021 at 12:38 PM, J13 said:

Edel SMS Wedge review:

As always, I’ll try to keep this short and sweet but before I get into the wedges performance I want to touch on the features and how I was fit. It’s important and will help explain some of the things I’m going to say.

Fitting:

My fitting took place at Edel HQ in Austin, TX. David (Edel) walked me through the concept of the swing match weighting system and explained the different grinds. To be honest I didn’t see how the weights could do much but as they say proof was in the pudding. To start I hit the 54* head in all 4 grinds. It only took about 3-4 shots a piece to figure out which grind worked best for me based on turf interaction. Once that was sorted out, I then hit 5 balls a piece with the heavy weight in each of the 3 locations (heel, center, toe). To say there was a difference would be an understatement.

The weight in the toe was not optimal, not even close. In fact, I shanked one and was like “please take this away from me now”. The weight in the center (which I thought would be best) was solid and very similar to what I hit with my current wedges. He then put the weight in the heel, and it was like someone put me on autopilot. My dispersion improved by around 20% and my ball speed jumped by 2mph. This was not something I expected to see. He explained that because of the way I swing the club I benefit from the weight in the heel and the steering force it creates. And the jump in ball speed was just better efficiency and hitting the ball with a squarer face basically compressing the ball better.

The last step was getting fit into a shaft.  Edel wedge fitting carts come with not only the heads, weights, and grinds but also 15 different shafts that you can plug in to get numbers.  I’ve been through lots of fittings in my life and this was the first time I got to test wedge shafts instead of whatever stock shaft the company uses. Edel has a proprietary connection system that when you screw the head on it just looks like a normal wedge (see picture below with black background) because it connects where the natural break is in the ferrule. Anyway Edel doesn’t currently carry the Mitsu MMT’s (something I’m trying to change!) so I settled on the Modus 125 which is a great shaft for me and one I’ve played and been fit into.  With that said I tried them for a few rounds but missed the feel of my MMT’s so off to the shop I went and did a swap.

At this point I was thrilled about the improvement in my wedge numbers and the fact that I was actually on the clock getting paid to be fit into wedges 😎 I told ya, working in golf is pretty sweet 😁

Looks – Love the look. There is a progression with face height from the 48* to the 60* so it blends from irons to wedges.  The previous Edel wedges had an unusual shape to me, so I was pleasantly surprised with the new design. 

Feel- The wedges are Forged Japanese 1025 carbon steel so yeah, they feel great.  The lower lofts you can really feel the difference in forged vs cast but once I get above 54* I don’t feel much of a difference. Some people might but I’m just being honest, I don’t.

Dispersion – With the heavy weight in the heel my dispersion improved quite a bit and I wasn’t missing shots to the right which I tended to do especially on ¾ shots.

Spin- These wedges SPIN. I was getting around 300-400rpm’s more spin that my current wedges. The grooves are extended toward the toe so any shots where you open the face you will benefit.  I also love that my 60* wedge looks like a normal wedge (no high toe) and I have the extended grooves.

Trajectory – Trajectory between weight locations was wild for me. In the toe I was hitting a lowish right shot, in the center it was mid/high trajectory and in the heel, it was a midflight, high spin shot that was perfect. I’m still getting used to the flight but it’s so much better in the wind than what I’m used to.

My setup

Edel SMS 50* V grind, heavy weight heel  / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Edel SMS 54* T grind, heavy weight heel  / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Edel SMS 60* T grind, heavy weight heel  / Mitsu MMT 125TX

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

Wow are these things gorgeous. I have yet to hit Edel wedges but based on what I've heard, you have yourself some real winners! Those sprinkles look tasty!

• Like 1

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

7 hours ago, Beastmode Broker said:

DANG son!

Yeah buddy!

6 hours ago, GMcKelvie said:

Wow are these things gorgeous. I have yet to hit Edel wedges but based on what I've heard, you have yourself some real winners! Those sprinkles look tasty!

Edel wedges are forged and cnc milled for grinds.  They feel amazing not to mention the performance when you get the weight in the right location (similar to an adjustable driver). 

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

I had a great fitting for my Edel 4.0 and I'll never sell it because I know it was fit for me, but man you are lucky to have been fit by David himself.  I'd be starry eyed, I've watched so many of his videos and feel like the guy is a genius, or at least a genius at absorbing information and spreading it to people like us.  I've got a LAB in the bag for now because I've always wanted to give it a good try but I fully believe that just getting fit for an Edel can teach you so much about what works and what doesn't in a putter.

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

9 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

I had a great fitting for my Edel 4.0 and I'll never sell it because I know it was fit for me, but man you are lucky to have been fit by David himself.  I'd be starry eyed, I've watched so many of his videos and feel like the guy is a genius, or at least a genius at absorbing information and spreading it to people like us.  I've got a LAB in the bag for now because I've always wanted to give it a good try but I fully believe that just getting fit for an Edel can teach you so much about what works and what doesn't in a putter.

Awesome and I LOVE my EAS 4.0.  I actually fit a player today in the same head and got his aim right in the center of the hole which was amazing considering his aim started 8" right of the hole and his loft at address was like 7*. The whole fitting blew his mind which I always puts a smile on my face because I was the same way when I went through it with David.  

David is a character and has jokes for days but when it comes to club design, biomechanics, and putting instruction he's Rain Man.  Honestly, half the time I speak with him I have to stop him and remind him that I'm not a mechanical engineer haha.  

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

David's information that he passes in his writings in his videos has changed my game. Or at least my understanding of the game if it hasn't actually shaved any strokes yet. From putting to the full swing and I understand a lot more about what my body is built to do, that has to do with his teachings on biomechanics from Mike Adams and the bioswing dynamics stuff. I wouldn't have known anything about that if it wasn't for David Edel. Would love to go see him sometime and pick his brain, maybe someday I'll have him fit me for some wedges and then I can really get a blast of knowledge. How are the wedges doing for you? So far? I got these Edison wedges for a deal on eBay and I absolutely love them, I've been looking at the Edel wedges since they first came out, but never quite pulled the trigger despite trying several other wedges this past golf year.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

12 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

David's information that he passes in his writings in his videos has changed my game. Or at least my understanding of the game if it hasn't actually shaved any strokes yet. From putting to the full swing and I understand a lot more about what my body is built to do, that has to do with his teachings on biomechanics from Mike Adams and the bioswing dynamics stuff. I wouldn't have known anything about that if it wasn't for David Edel. Would love to go see him sometime and pick his brain, maybe someday I'll have him fit me for some wedges and then I can really get a blast of knowledge. How are the wedges doing for you? So far? I got these Edison wedges for a deal on eBay and I absolutely love them, I've been looking at the Edel wedges since they first came out, but never quite pulled the trigger despite trying several other wedges this past golf year.

He certainly knows his stuff and he does a ton with Mike Adams.  Those guys can talk swing mechanics all day!   Love the wedges and really getting comfortable with the grinds now that I have some time under my belt with them.  Winter is actually proving to be a great time to test wedges as the ground goes back and forth from being super soft and mushy to firm and frozen.  Great way to test grinds oddly enough.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

• 2 weeks later...

2022 Driver testing has begun 😎

First up: Taylormade Stealth Plus 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 7X

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4288.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

• Like 2

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: 2022 Driver Testing

Nice.  I just bought one just in case it makes the bag myself...if it's like anything these will be sold out soon! I debated 8.0 std or 9.0 lower and went 8.0 for the flatter lie...looking forward to your review.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Driver testing is always fun, also have a few new shafts on the way and a new addition to the bag.  I have state matches starting up in a few months so I have to get all this sorted out!

Edel PROTO

Stealth Plus solo testing went well.  Rundown coming tomorrow or Friday !

Edel PROTO

Quick rundown of my thoughts with the TM Stealth - Keep in mind I'm testing a few things right now indoors and outdoors.  The 2 finalists will battle on course for the top spot but for now I will do very short and sweet rundowns then dive deeper in the final battle.

TM Stealth Plus w/ Fuji Ventus Black 7X 44.5"

Looks - Looks good, I think I like the white on top better but overall the red face disappears after a few holes.

Feel - Feels solid, not loud by any means.  It's not the Tsi3 sound and feel but it's solid and can't imagine anyone would want to hotmelt for acoustics alone.

Distance - Not going to lie I hit some missiles with this thing.  Center strikes go a mile, off-center strikes are just ok for me, especially heel shots.

Spin - Low 2000's, no spin issues at all.  If you are someone that needs more spin this isn't the stick for you.

Dispersion - Dispersion was solid, better than my sldr 430 but lets be honest that's a low bar as misses with the 430 are PUNISHING lol.

Consistency - If I had to pick a downside i would say it's this.  I hit some absolute piss missiles but I also hit some that weren't that far off center and I lost quite a bit of distance.  

Overall TM will sell a lot of these and i won't be surprised if this makes it to the finals.  It's MUCH better than the SIM2 and definitely going to be a contender for me.  It reminds me a lot more of the SIM than SIM2 which is a good thing as I felt the SIM2 was a big step back for TM.  

Stay tuned....

Edited by J13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

6 hours ago, J13 said:

Distance - Not going to lie I hit some missiles with this thing.  Center strikes go a mile, off-center strikes are just ok for me, especially heel shots.

Consistency - If I had to pick a downside i would say it's this.  I hit some absolute piss missiles but I also hit some that weren't that far off center and I lost quite a bit of distance.  

Your findings are consistent with the consensus of every other review I’ve found on Stealth. Has its obvious merits, but…

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

17 hours ago, J13 said:

Quick rundown of my thoughts with the TM Stealth - Keep in mind I'm testing a few things right now indoors and outdoors.  The 2 finalists will battle on course for the top spot but for now I will do very short and sweet rundowns then dive deeper in the final battle.

TM Stealth Plus w/ Fuji Ventus Black 7X 44.5"

Looks - Looks good, I think I like the white on top better but overall the red face disappears after a few holes.

Feel - Feels solid, not loud by any means.  It's not the Tsi3 sound and feel but it's solid and can't imagine anyone would want to hotmelt for acoustics alone.

Spin - Low 2000's, no spin issues at all.  If you are someone that needs help in this department, this isn't the stick for you.

Dispersion - Dispersion was solid, better than my sldr 430 but lets be honest that's a low bar as misses with the 430 are PUNISHING lol.

Overall TM will sell a lot of these and i won't be surprised if this makes it to the finals.  It's MUCH better than the SIM2 and definitely going to be a contender for me.  It reminds me a lot more of the SIM than SIM2 which is a good thing as I felt the SIM2 was a big step back for TM.  

Stay tuned....

I just got fit for the Stealth vs the SIM2 and G425 LST and the Stealth numbers were crazy better, the Stealth (with a Speeder NX) was a clear cut above the other two.  Wouldn't be surprised if it makes in the bag for ya, but of course I always love your driver testing write ups.  Interested to see what you end up thinking of the Cobras.

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

17 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Your findings are consistent with the consensus of every other review I’ve found on Stealth. Has its obvious merits, but…

Exactly

7 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I just got fit for the Stealth vs the SIM2 and G425 LST and the Stealth numbers were crazy better, the Stealth (with a Speeder NX) was a clear cut above the other two.  Wouldn't be surprised if it makes in the bag for ya, but of course I always love your driver testing write ups.  Interested to see what you end up thinking of the Cobras.

Stealth is a good driver for sure.  It will find it's way into a lot of bags this year, possibly mine.  Cobra did a GREAT job this year and it's definitely high up there.

Edel PROTO

Next up 

2358F92A-2FD6-4A99-B842-1E86554ADEFF.jpeg

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

On 2/11/2022 at 6:23 PM, J13 said:

Funny, I tried a few different SIM2 setups and thought they were awful compared to the OG - glad I'm not the only one. Just was a huge step back IMO.

I had the Stealth+ hotmelted to match the weight of my SIM so I could test them like-to-like as best as possible. So far I've seen results very similar to your writeup, actually like the feel a great deal although I know thats a very personal category. Have a few hours of trackman time scheduled for Thursday so it will be the first time I can actually put some numbers to it.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM