Anyone satisfied with Irons a YEAR or older?

wavyRT

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been playing the original AP2s with Project X 5.5s forever. But I figure with all the new technology in irons and shafts I finally pulled the plug to get fitted for some new sticks. Am I unhappy with my AP2s? Not at all. Did I find something that I think I'll be better off with? Yes. Mainly due to an change in shafts. I pick them up later this week!

G25s firmly in. Wedges might be changed if the new glides are what I think they are...

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

If i can get my hands on a pristine version of the 681 T irons 2-PW, I would jump on it in a heart beat

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

I just went back to my MP33's. I have MP68's and S56 but the MP33's are still the best I have ever hit.

In my [img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/taylormade-small.jpg[/img][color=#000000] [/color][color=#2f4f4f]Golf Bag [/color]

[color=#000000][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/taylormade-small.jpg[/img][/color][color=#008080] [/color][color=#2f4f4f]SLDR 10.5*[/color] on [color=#000080][i][b]MRC [/b][/i]Fubuki Zt[/color]
[color=#008080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/titelist-small.jpg[/img] [/color][color=#a52a2a]913F 15* [/color]on[i][b][color=#008080] [/color][color=#ffa07a]Project X [/color][/b][/i][color=#ffa07a]PXv[/color]
[color=#000080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mizuno-small.jpg[/img][/color][color=#0000cd] MP Fli Hi 18*, 21* & 24*[/color] on [color=#ff0000][i][b]KBS[/b][/i] Hybrid S [/color]
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mizuno-small.jpg[/img] [color=#0000ff] MP68 5-P [/color]on [color=#ff0000][b][i]KBS[/i][/b] C Tapers[/color]
[color=#ff0000][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mizuno-small.jpg[/img] [color=#0000ff] MP T Series 51-56[/color][/color] on [color=#daa520][i][b]True Temper [/b][/i]Dynamic Gold Wedge[/color]
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/scotty-small.jpg[/img] [color=#800000]Coronado[/color]

[color=#008080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/titelist-small.jpg[/img] [/color][color=#b22222]Pro V1X [/color][color=#b22222][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/taylormade-small.jpg[/img][/color][color=#2f4f4f] Lethal[/color][color=#008080] [/color]
[color=#008080][img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/footjoy-small.gif[/img][/color]

All grips are [color=#8b4513]Best Grips Micro-Perforated[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/991855-rover-ricks-bag-2014-today-well-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

In 2013 I bought a set of Cally X-20's(new in box) from PGA SS. X-20's were new in 2009 to the market. Would not trade them for a new set. They feel like a forged set, with great feedback on all shots. I don't play enough to warrant buying a new set every couple of years.

Calaway Diablo Octane 10.5 R-flex
Calaway Diablo Octane 3 Wood R-flex
Snake Eyes Viper 3 Hybrid 18 deg R-flex
Calaway X-20 irons 4-Pw(uniflex)
Cleveland 900 Forged RTG (LB) 52-56-60
Carbite ZH-1 putter(super stroke 3.0)

My AP2 712s are not going anywhere. Best iron I have ever gamed and there have been a lot of them! Easy to hit, work the ball with, and very accurate.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

[quote name='The Mad Bomber' timestamp='1430324395' post='11466097']
Hahaha! My 690.CB (3-6i) are still in the bag! I just don't play enough to wear them out, so I only ever have to replace the bottom end of my bag. I LOVE those clubs. Classic, look great, pretty beefy and I'm used to the lofts, yardages. I get my MB's bent to correlate to those lofts in fact. I see no need to replace them.
[/quote]

690.mb for me still. Don't see any reason why I would switch. Fantastic irons.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='Bama87' timestamp='1435172502' post='11827282']
[quote name='Cicero' timestamp='1430704052' post='11492783']
I've had my Cobra ss-I irons for more than a decade, and I'm fine with them. But I am curious as to whether or not my game could be helped by the iron advancements of the last 10 years.
[/quote]

I am playing a set of these as well (and have another set with graphite shafts), but looking around. I am ready to try something different, but looking around for that deal I cant pass up.
[/quote]

I making it a threesome....I've had them in the bag for 7 years now. I love their clean design and soft feel...just enough offset for my swing.
I like the Penley graphite light shaft they came with that when I found another set of shafts on a different brand of irons (Acers), I bought it in case I needed to replace any of them...and I did in fact I have to replace one...so far.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I picked up a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC a couple of months ago and I'm more than happy. This was after trying many of the new irons for this year.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

[quote name='Stryker93' timestamp='1435172679' post='11827308']
[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1435171722' post='11827176']
2013 X Forged and bought a set of Apex pro to replace them... after a few rounds i am back to the X Forged and most likely going to stay there until they disintegrate lol
[/quote]

Have you tried/used the 09 version before? I'm curious as to the differences between the two
[/quote]Yeah i had a set of those too... honestly i was not liking the look of the 2013's when i still had a set of 09's that i didn't even try to hit the 13's till well after i had moved on from the 09's. The main differences for me were:

- The blade length is slightly shorter in the 13's.
- if i am not mistaken... the 09's had the flighted shaft to hit higher long iron shots and lower short iron shots... the 13's have that tech built into the club heads to do the same thing and IMHO it works better than the flighted shaft idea.
- The PXi 6.0 seems to be a better fit for me than the Flighted PX 6.0's that were in my 09's. Lighter weight and softer flex in the PXi's increase launch in longer irons without a loss in accuracy.
- Feel... somehow they were able to make the feel softer in the 2013's... again its more of a "right shaft" paired with the right club that makes the difference.
- Forgiveness... even with what appears to be a slightly smaller club head, they have balanced out the weight distribution and made a pretty forgiving PCB iron IMHO. The inevitable toe shot from time to time is less harsh... Again paired with the right shaft for you... any club can become better feeling and more forgiving.
- Playability... it appears that the 13's are more playable from all lies... this might be a preference thing for me as they just seem to work very well... more noticeable in the long irons for me.
- Distance... lighter shaft/ softer flex equals half a club longer without ballooning.

Thats pretty much it for me as far as differences... honestly i didn't really like the look of the 13's at first and i didn't ever hit one until last summer when my son picked up a set... i am loving them so much and i think they look amazing... funny how things can grow on you over time lol.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

I've been playing the same TM x300s for 14 years. They can be unforgiving off the toe but they're so butter when struck well. They came off a tour van in 01 with rifle flighted 6.5s. My swing has deliberately slowed just a bit for better contact and I think the shafts are too stiff now but I'm playing better than I ever have. I've even looked at some new MBs from a few different brands (titleist, taylormade) and demoed 712 ap2s. I just can't find a set of irons that feels as good as the TMs.

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1435240430' post='11832104']
[quote name='Stryker93' timestamp='1435172679' post='11827308']
[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1435171722' post='11827176']
2013 X Forged and bought a set of Apex pro to replace them... after a few rounds i am back to the X Forged and most likely going to stay there until they disintegrate lol
[/quote]

Have you tried/used the 09 version before? I'm curious as to the differences between the two
[/quote]Yeah i had a set of those too... honestly i was not liking the look of the 2013's when i still had a set of 09's that i didn't even try to hit the 13's till well after i had moved on from the 09's. The main differences for me were:

- The blade length is slightly shorter in the 13's.
- if i am not mistaken... the 09's had the flighted shaft to hit higher long iron shots and lower short iron shots... the 13's have that tech built into the club heads to do the same thing and IMHO it works better than the flighted shaft idea.
- The PXi 6.0 seems to be a better fit for me than the Flighted PX 6.0's that were in my 09's. Lighter weight and softer flex in the PXi's increase launch in longer irons without a loss in accuracy.
- Feel... somehow they were able to make the feel softer in the 2013's... again its more of a "right shaft" paired with the right club that makes the difference.
- Forgiveness... even with what appears to be a slightly smaller club head, they have balanced out the weight distribution and made a pretty forgiving PCB iron IMHO. The inevitable toe shot from time to time is less harsh... Again paired with the right shaft for you... any club can become better feeling and more forgiving.
- Playability... it appears that the 13's are more playable from all lies... this might be a preference thing for me as they just seem to work very well... more noticeable in the long irons for me.
- Distance... lighter shaft/ softer flex equals half a club longer without ballooning.

Thats pretty much it for me as far as differences... honestly i didn't really like the look of the 13's at first and i didn't ever hit one until last summer when my son picked up a set... i am loving them so much and i think they look amazing... funny how things can grow on you over time lol.
[/quote]

Exactly what I wanted to know!

My current gamers are 1988 Hogan Apex Redlines with Apex 3 shafts. These are "by far" the best feeling and most consistent irons I have ever played. Previous to these I had been playing 2009 Callaway X forged that were custom fit with KBS tour stiff shafts. I bought the Hogans for a vintage set I was putting together to play. I have the matching persimmon woods as well.

The irons have flatter lies and the only modification I made was to lengthen them an inch for my swing. I test irons and own several sets and have yet to find another modern iron that suits me better than these Hogans. My personal opinion is that, especially with "players irons", modern, and "custom fit" isn't necessarily the best choice. If you have a repeatable, fundamentally sound swing through the impact zone, then go by feel when it comes to your iron choice. Try different setups. Do you like a "boardy" feel? Do you like to feel the flex of the shaft? Do you like counter-balaned? Do you like to feel the head. Have you tried different swing weights?

Finding the perfect iron set isn't all about numbers. It's more about feel and it may take a while until to find it, but when you do, you'll know. The results will speak for themselves...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Titleist AP1's, 712 model.

I tried the 714's (with the same Nippon 105T shaft that I prefer) and I didn't like them as much. I have also played some AP2 714's for a month or so, and while they are very nice irons, I realized that I score better with my old AP1's.

I have also tried Mizuno 825's and 825 forged, some Callaway Apex, Ping G30 - the AP1's won out. They are still in the bag.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Happily playing my I15's with Xcaliber graphite.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I've never been an iron ho. I've ho'ed just about everything else though. :taunt:

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

I bought the adams XTD progressive set and have been really happy.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1