Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

What do you guys think of Galena? Thinking of taking a Labor day weekend trip there with the wife. I know they have 3 courses, are they all good? Can you get good stay and play packages there?

Also, if we combine it with a trip to some surrounding areas on the way back are there any courses worth playing or areas worth seeing?

Big fan of Galena. We've rented a huge house numerous times and played the 4 courses (the East is a 9 hole). The General is one of the best courses in IL (designed by Andy North and Roger Packard) but the South course is the toughest IMO. As Arg noted, some very tight driving holes. I'd disagree with him though as I think they're all way above average from a design and visual acuity standpoint.

Downtown Galena has one of the best old time steak houses/supper clubs around. It's called the Log Cabin and it's just fun with great food and non-Chicago prices. There's also some great shops including one that has flavored olive oils. A bit different but interesting.

Great call to stop at Deere Run or Aldeen on the way to or from Galena.

Anyone interested in playing Bittersweet in Gurnee on Sunday morning? I've wanted to get on this course for several years now, but they don't take tee times for singles. 'Looks like it's $55, and not sure if that includes cart.

I live right around the corner from Bittersweet. My opinion is the back nine is much better than the front nine. I'm up for a round Sunday morning. Let me know.

What do you guys think of Galena? Thinking of taking a Labor day weekend trip there with the wife. I know they have 3 courses, are they all good? Can you get good stay and play packages there?

Also, if we combine it with a trip to some surrounding areas on the way back are there any courses worth playing or areas worth seeing?

Big fan of Galena. We've rented a huge house numerous times and played the 4 courses (the East is a 9 hole). The General is one of the best courses in IL (designed by Andy North and Roger Packard) but the South course is the toughest IMO. As Arg noted, some very tight driving holes. I'd disagree with him though as I think they're all way above average from a design and visual acuity standpoint.

Downtown Galena has one of the best old time steak houses/supper clubs around. It's called the Log Cabin and it's just fun with great food and non-Chicago prices. There's also some great shops including one that has flavored olive oils. A bit different but interesting.

Great call to stop at Deere Run or Aldeen on the way to or from Galena.

Got to the Log Cabin on my last business trip. Unfortunately, no golf on that trip due to a blinding snowstorm... :angry22:

Anyone interested in playing Bittersweet in Gurnee on Sunday morning? I've wanted to get on this course for several years now, but they don't take tee times for singles. 'Looks like it's $55, and not sure if that includes cart.

I'd be up for playing, but not available this Sunday.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

7th round of the season 7:30 this Saturday at GDN. We may have 1 open spot for anyone interested.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

7th round of the season 7:30 this Saturday at GDN. We may have 1 open spot for anyone interested.

Ouch. I played 7 rounds this past holiday weekend. :golfer:

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

J Money did you have a post-round libation? We hung for a bit and had a Coors Light as I was hoping to hear the story of your birdie on 1.

No sir, I had to pick up my daughter from my neighbors lakehouse in McHenry.

Had a few while I was there though.

Had a nice practice session today. Figured it out. Ball position got too far forward.

All fixed, all good...we'll see on Saturday at the HoE. ?

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

JDM Cally X Forged star~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Bridgestone RXS

Vessel Lux XV cartbag

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I made my first (and last) trip down to Wicker Park Memorial in Highland, IN. The course is a basic, flat parkland muni with small greens, and few bunkers. The course is quite wooded, although they apparently cleared out quite a number of trees recently, and planted new ones. Course conditions were tolerable, with shaggy fairways, and spongy soft greens. For $35 I was expecting much, and they delivered in spades. 'Nice little course for the family or occasional player, but otherwise very forgettable. The day didn't start on a good note, as I got into a heated argument with the Pro Shop about the carts-only-before-11 policy. It was a nice morning for a stroll, but they wouldn't let me pay the cart fee and walk. Heck, even Water's Edge took my money and let me walk. That left a sour taste in my mouth, and is grounds alone for not returning. For crying out loud, it's a cheap muni, not a high end resort course.

I had an OK day ball striking, but when I did hit them well, they were close. Four birdies on the day, and 3 scrambles offset the six bogies.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

carts-only-before-11 policy.

One of the stupidest policies in golf no matter if its a resort course, muni, or whatever. I fully understand if its one of those courses where it a mile walk between holes, but those are few and far between around here. Furthermore, walking has no impact on the pace of play, and in some cases is faster than taking a cart.

Ping G430 LST 9* -  Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 65
Titleist TSR2 15* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Titleist TSR2 18* - Tensei Blue AV 75
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

I play Inwood and Wedgewood in Joliet quite a bit. Both are around 15 minutes from my house. Not championship level courses, but great bang for the buck and Wedgewood is usually wide open after 5pm during the week.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Coyote Run tomorrow with the wife on a $28 hot deal. $62 with service charges. Solid price for 2 at Coyote Run.

Any suggestions on a good place to get a quick bite to eat near Homewood or between Homewood and Chicago for dinner after our round? Any good bbq places in the area?

I love me some Aurelio's Pizza in Homewood.

I made my first (and last) trip down to Wicker Park Memorial in Highland, IN. The course is a basic, flat parkland muni with small greens, and few bunkers. The course is quite wooded, although they apparently cleared out quite a number of trees recently, and planted new ones. Course conditions were tolerable, with shaggy fairways, and spongy soft greens. For $35 I was expecting much, and they delivered in spades. 'Nice little course for the family or occasional player, but otherwise very forgettable. The day didn't start on a good note, as I got into a heated argument with the Pro Shop about the carts-only-before-11 policy. It was a nice morning for a stroll, but they wouldn't let me pay the cart fee and walk. Heck, even Water's Edge took my money and let me walk. That left a sour taste in my mouth, and is grounds alone for not returning. For crying out loud, it's a cheap muni, not a high end resort course.

I had an OK day ball striking, but when I did hit them well, they were close. Four birdies on the day, and 3 scrambles offset the six bogies.

This was my high school course now my school has lost marsh.

In nwi golf wicker and Gleason are the place to go if you can't play anywhere else. Personally we rather drive to tucksway or joe Louis then play wicker

This was my high school course now my school has lost marsh.

In nwi golf wicker and Gleason are the place to go if you can't play anywhere else. Personally we rather drive to tucksway or joe Louis then play wicker

Joe Louis? Lol. This was the site of my infamous 6 hour round in 103 degree heat that led me to give up golf for 15 years. I still play it on occasion, but only when the weather is really bad, and I know that the place will be most empty.

The pace of play at Wicker Park was excellent for a Saturday morning. I was part of an 8:15 am threesome, and we finished in 3:30. I only played it because I'm trying to play all the public courses in the Chicago area, and the remaining courses on the list are getting small. I'm sure I'll be playing a handful of other marginal courses this summer.

Ah the perils of mid day golf. I'm currently sitting on the 8th tee at coyote run behind two twosomes who "are doing our own thing" and the ranger is just driving around shooting the sh!t with people. Tee time was 12:24 so slow play was expected, but this looks like 6:30 hours.

Edit: turns out there is an outing today, would have been nice if the pro shop let us know before booking.

Great meeting Argonne69 at Bittersweet for 18 this morning. The course was a little shaggy, likely from all of the rain. I think my game had a negative impact on Argonnes round but I had a great time. I've now met two members of the board, Zero and Argonne69 and they are both great guys.

I'm volunteering for the Web.com event next week at Ivanhoe in Mundelein. Never worked s golf tournament before and I'm looking forward to that.

This turned out to be a beautiful day, no? I made my first trip up to Bittersweet GC today. What a wonderful surprise. For whatever reason I thought this was a barren, prairie style course, but it's more of a woodlands course with lots of marshland. Heck, makes Lost Marsh seem like a desert. The front nine has a few homes around it, but they never seem to encroach on the course. The back nine routing is fantastic, with some tough holes. The course has some tricky, short par 4's, and a decent variety of par 5's and 3's. Course conditioning was very good, albeit it was a little wet in some low spots, and the greens could use a cutting. How this isn't a top 20, or maybe top 10 course, is beyond me. Maybe the difficulty puts off some players?

I got a chance with fellow WRXer preiter20, and we had a great time on the course. Neither of us had our 'A' game, but it was a great time nonetheless. We'll definitely have to get out on one of the other northern courses before the end of summer.

I had a great day off the tee today, hitting 11 fairways. However, I had trouble holding the greens. I think I rolled off the back 6 times. The wind was certainly a factor, but not the sole cause. Unfortunately, my trusty putter and wedges took the day off. I was 0 for 12 in scrambling today. Brutal. I simply could not get a feel for the greens, and missed way too many makeable putts for birdie and par. Oh well. it happens.

I'm still on my quest to play all the public courses in the Chicago area, so I probably won't get back to the course soon, but it certainly on the list when I start revisiting courses.

Holy cow what a round at Coyote Run this afternoon! I saw a couple groups of 5, one group of 6 with 4 carts, a couple singles, and I don't think any twosomes were paired together, piss poor course management that resulted in a round just under 6 1/2 hours.

All of that waiting and I still managed my first round in the 70's. Normally my game is making pars and bogies, but I had 4 birdies today that pushed me under 80 and finished with a 77! It was the weirdest yet best round of my life haha

I also played in the Coyote Run death march this afternoon. 2:32 tee time, made the turn at 5:00, but then thankfully it lightened up and we finished at 7:00. Played from the tips (only 6500) but it was quite a challenge in the 2 club wind. Having all that extra time allowed me to really focus on every shot and I ended up breaking 80 for the first time this year, finishing with a 78. Only hit 7 fairways, but 9 greens. Birdied 1 and 9. The one I want back is #12. drive of the day, ends up 275 in the middle. PW out, chunk it 50 yards in the water. Fattest shot I've hit this season, haven't had one even close. Looked like a solid 3 inch deep divot lol. Chipped on from 75 yards to 12 feet and then 3 putted for a triple. Only score above bogey all day.

to top off the round we managed to make it to Hog Wild 10 minutes before they closed! PORK CHOPS!

Holy cow what a round at Coyote Run this afternoon! I saw a couple groups of 5, one group of 6 with 4 carts, a couple singles, and I don't think any twosomes were paired together, piss poor course management that resulted in a round just under 6 1/2 hours.

All of that waiting and I still managed my first round in the 70's. Normally my game is making pars and bogies, but I had 4 birdies today that pushed me under 80 and finished with a 77! It was the weirdest yet best round of my life haha

Congrats on breaking 80! I've played CR twice and the experience was just as you described both times so I haven't been back since.

Village Links yesterday afternoon. Beautiful day for golf, wind was tricky when you got above the tree line. Course was in fine shape considering the rains, greens were about what you'd expect from VL, not great, bumpy and slow. But the way they tucked the pins on several holes, right in front of or behind ridges, anything quicker would have been really difficult.

I'm starting to make plans for the 4th of July weekend. I'll be heading up to the McHenry/Lake County area, and have an initial list of courses: Brae Loch CC, Bonnie Dundee GC, Boone Creek GC, Palatine Hills GC, Pinecrest GC, Antioch GC, and Twin Lakes CC (WI).

Any thoughts? I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but I assume they're playable at a minimum. 'Seems like a handful don't allow singles to book online, so it may be tough getting on the courses.

Village Links yesterday afternoon. Beautiful day for golf, wind was tricky when you got above the tree line. Course was in fine shape considering the rains, greens were about what you'd expect from VL, not great, bumpy and slow. But the way they tucked the pins on several holes, right in front of or behind ridges, anything quicker would have been really difficult.

Did you partake in any of the "Have 1 On Us" festivities over the weekend? Weather was perfect on Friday and I fed my family for $9. Free range balls Fri. night and all day Saturday, $1 draft beer and several tournaments and competitions too.

I'm starting to make plans for the 4th of July weekend. I'll be heading up to the McHenry/Lake County area, and have an initial list of courses: Brae Loch CC, Bonnie Dundee GC, Boone Creek GC, Palatine Hills GC, Pinecrest GC, Antioch GC, and Twin Lakes CC (WI).

Any thoughts? I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but I assume they're playable at a minimum. 'Seems like a handful don't allow singles to book online, so it may be tough getting on the courses.

Of these, I've only played Palatine Hills, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Apparently, Cog Hill and Gleneagles were annexed by Palos Park. One of the main reasons would be access to Lake Michigan water when development (eventually) begins. Seems there was quite a brew ha ha over the annexation with nearly Lemont.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-palos-park-annexation-st-0210-20160209-story.html

http://www.theregionalnews.com/index.php/newsx/160-local-news/top-news-story-2/34840-palos-park-takes-cog-hill

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/news/ct-sta-kadner-lemont-palos-st-0823-20150821-story.html

I've played Twin Lakes before. Not bad. Your typical small town, country course. Conditions depend on the weather, small greens, limited bunkers. The course has a split personality though, as the side east of the clubhouse is actually quite interesting. Elevation changes, mature trees, some blind shots. The west side is blah.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Did you partake in any of the "Have 1 On Us" festivities over the weekend? Weather was perfect on Friday and I fed my family for $9. Free range balls Fri. night and all day Saturday, $1 draft beer and several tournaments and competitions too.

I did not. I've done the food there before, but from what I remember it was extremely busy. With 2 younger kids, especially one with a peanut allergy, that becomes troublesome. They did have some sort of high school graduation parties for entire senior classes there yesterday, the parking lot was completely full and people were parking at the school next to the 9 hole course.