2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Some people have said I look like Matt Damon. Of course, they are visually impaired.

Don't you mean Matt Damon's grandpaw?

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Played OV on Saturday as well. Great review by V. Great review by V. Great review by V. Great review by V.

One thing they need to do though is get the geese off the course. There were several fairways with heavy do do and they geese messed up the turf as well.

The greens were the best they've been in a long time.

Living on hole 17 at OV, I was very excited about the lack of geese on the hole this spring and early summer. But it seems they just relocated - most notably to 2/3/4. Noticed the goose poop today more than any time this year. I'm thrilled there's no bombs for my little guys to get into during a late night chip/putt session, but it's still annoying knowing it's nearby...

Played Steeple Chase in Mundelein for the first time today. I think I found my new, favorite, local course. They are only missing a driving range. Teed off at 12:08 today and never waited to hit a shot all day. Literally no one behind us all afternoon. Played one of the best rounds of golf today since I was a teenager. 39-45 with a double and a triple from the blue tees, roughly 6400 yards. My iron play has been great the last two weeks. Solid shots and when I miss by a bit on the club face I'm not too far off. If I can get consistent putting I could drop 3-4 strokes per round. What a fun day of golf.

Played Steeple Chase in Mundelein for the first time today. I think I found my new, favorite, local course. They are only missing a driving range. Teed off at 12:08 today and never waited to hit a shot all day. Literally no one behind us all afternoon. Played one of the best rounds of golf today since I was a teenager. 39-45 with a double and a triple from the blue tees, roughly 6400 yards. My iron play has been great the last two weeks. Solid shots and when I miss by a bit on the club face I'm not too far off. If I can get consistent putting I could drop 3-4 strokes per round. What a fun day of golf.

Very nice. Luckily it's located next door to Countryside. I stopped there to use the range before heading over to SC a few years ago.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played OV on Saturday as well. Great review by V. Great review by V. Great review by V. Great review by V.

One thing they need to do though is get the geese off the course. There were several fairways with heavy do do and they geese messed up the turf as well.

4 and 18 were pretty roughed up from those buggers, 4 was a mine field walking through, fairway was full of geese as well. After my psycho goose encounter this spring I set the tone early and had the 5 iron swinging before I even got to them.

Cantigny Hillside/Woodside on Saturday morning . Gorgeous day, great facility, decent pace. One of the most fun layouts I've played. Nice grass is such a pleasure to hit off. Glad I picked the easier combo. Hillside was a good one to start on and Woodside was tougher 9. Long game has been great. I'm in a short game slump. Leaving chips short and over-reading putts. Greens were running average speed. Not fast but not slow. Would definitely go back.

Living on hole 17 at OV, I was very excited about the lack of geese on the hole this spring and early summer. But it seems they just relocated - most notably to 2/3/4. Noticed the goose poop today more than any time this year. I'm thrilled there's no bombs for my little guys to get into during a late night chip/putt session, but it's still annoying knowing it's nearby...

JR we were talking about the houses along 17 while walking up to the green. Do you ever have wayward shots end up in your yard?

Played Golf Club of Illinois yesterday. Nice course. Ranger was really good about holding a group that stopped for an hour lunch to let a few groups making the turn get through. Only complaints would be that the bunkers need some maintenance and there's no water coolers on the course. Only saw the beverage cart from a distance and when I asked the ranger he said they would be around. By 17 I asked the ranger again and I got a

"oh. She went home early."

If you're not going to have water on the course at least have the cart coming around. Probably be the only time I play there cause of that.

JR we were talking about the houses along 17 while walking up to the green. Do you ever have wayward shots end up in your yard?

Back AND front. It takes quite a yank (righty) and quite a wipe (lefty) to get over here.

old elm is a special place

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Back AND front. It takes quite a yank (righty) and quite a wipe (lefty) to get over here.

Has there ever been any damage to your house?

Has there ever been any damage to your house?

Not in the 2 years we've lived here. My neighbors have some stories, though...

I just returned from out annual trek to Gull Lake, MI. We played the GL East, Stonehedge North, and Stonehedge South courses. Frankly, I'm growing tired of the courses, especially the FL East course. It's short, tight, quirky, and seems almost every shot is on an uneven lie. The course was in decent shape, but oh my, the greens were ridiculously slow. The best player in our group, a scratch player, 3 putted 5 times on the front nine. I mean, we're talking leaving a 25 foot putt 6 feet short. I had more three putts on there in one round than I normally have in an entire month. Totally forgettable round.

Monday morning at SH North was much better, as the course is a longer and more open. 12 fairways and 14 GIRs made for a fun day. The afternoon round at SH South was a repeat of Sunday. 'Too many "decent" drives clipping trees. The course is definitely designed for a straight ball hitter. The greens were a tad faster than GL East, but not by much.

On the way home this morning I stopped by Heritage Glen in Paw Paw, MI, after once again failing to get on to Whittaker Woods. I had never heard of Heritage Glen, and it was a pleasant surprise. It's not going to win any top in state awards, but it was a nice woodland layout with a few prairie/marsh holes on the back 9. With a slope of 137 from the blue tees (6630 yards), it has some teeth. I'd certainly recommend a visit if you are passing by on the way to the Kalamazoo area. I didn't drive the ball particularly well this morning, but I didn't get into too much trouble, which allowed my to hit 12 greens. Two birdies were a few too many, as I couldn't quite get the speed down on the greens. I was able to zip around in just over 2 hours, playing through 3 groups, so overall it was a nice morning round.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I just returned from out annual trek to Gull Lake, MI. We played the GL East, Stonehedge North, and Stonehedge South courses. Frankly, I'm growing tired of the courses, especially the FL East course. It's short, tight, quirky, and seems almost every shot is on an uneven lie. The course was in decent shape, but oh my, the greens were ridiculously slow. The best player in our group, a scratch player, 3 putted 5 times on the front nine. I mean, we're talking leaving a 25 foot putt 6 feet short. I had more three putts on there in one round than I normally have in an entire month. Totally forgettable round.

Monday morning at SH North was much better, as the course is a longer and more open. 12 fairways and 14 GIRs made for a fun day. The afternoon round at SH South was a repeat of Sunday. 'Too many "decent" drives clipping trees. The course is definitely designed for a straight ball hitter. The greens were a tad faster than GL East, but not by much.

On the way home this morning I stopped by Heritage Glen in Paw Paw, MI, after once again failing to get on to Whittaker Woods. I had never heard of Heritage Glen, and it was a pleasant surprise. It's not going to win any top in state awards, but it was a nice woodland layout with a few prairie/marsh holes on the back 9. With a slope of 137 from the blue tees (6630 yards), it has some teeth. I'd certainly recommend a visit if you are passing by on the way to the Kalamazoo area. I didn't drive the ball particularly well this morning, but I didn't get into too much trouble, which allowed my to hit 12 greens. Two birdies were a few too many, as I couldn't quite get the speed down on the greens. I was able to zip around in just over 2 hours, playing through 3 groups, so overall it was a nice morning round.

IMO your not missing much with Whittaker woods. The greens are awesome but wasn't impressed with everything else. Around 12 tee shots were blind and the images on the card were not overly helpful.

I don't know if it's just an "in the moment" thing but I swear greens have more un-repaired ball marks than I have ever seen lately. It was like putting though a mine field today at Waters Edge, I could spend 30 minutes on each green repairing marks, some the size of Texas that I can't believe people don't repair.

In other news, I'm in a major slump right now off the tee and my irons aren't all that helpful. Every so often I get the hooks and I try and spend a range session or two "swinging left" and that'll get me going straight for a while but for some reason or another since the last time I did this (end of June maybe) I have completely forgotten how to hit a draw. Nothing but fades with my irons and huge slices with my woods, honestly its like I just started playing again it has been that frustrating... it's like I broke my swing with one range session :dntknw:

This year has been great to this point, consistently low 80's scores with a week or two of phenomenal golf with a couple rounds in the 70's and now my hcp is trending the wrong way with a round of 92 today, I think it's time to get a pro involved and get this under control. :superman:

Played Prairie Bluff today (hard to beat the GN hot deal for $21). Shot a 40 in front and a 44 in back with a double bogey on the 17th hole (par 3). Went 16 holes w/o losing a ball but put one in the drink on both the 17th and 18th hole.

A score of 84 is a good one for me on a windy day. Greens were in very good shape and rolling somewhat fast.

15 hcp

I completely agree about people not fixing their ball marks lately. It's been crazy how bad some greens have been. I feel like I'm fixing 4-5 marks on top of mine most places I've played lately.

I don't know if it's just an "in the moment" thing but I swear greens have more un-repaired ball marks than I have ever seen lately. It was like putting though a mine field today at Waters Edge, I could spend 30 minutes on each green repairing marks, some the size of Texas that I can't believe people don't repair.

In other news, I'm in a major slump right now off the tee and my irons aren't all that helpful. Every so often I get the hooks and I try and spend a range session or two "swinging left" and that'll get me going straight for a while but for some reason or another since the last time I did this (end of June maybe) I have completely forgotten how to hit a draw. Nothing but fades with my irons and huge slices with my woods, honestly its like I just started playing again it has been that frustrating... it's like I broke my swing with one range session :dntknw:

This year has been great to this point, consistently low 80's scores with a week or two of phenomenal golf with a couple rounds in the 70's and now my hcp is trending the wrong way with a round of 92 today, I think it's time to get a pro involved and get this under control. :superman:

Just knocked out 18 at Lost Marsh in Hammond, IN (remains convenient yet gimmicky), 18 at The Sanctuary in New Lenox, IL (pleasantly surprised by this track although the fair price is surely a factor), 9 at Sydney R. Marovitz in Chicago, IL (no commentary needed), and 18 at Dubsdread at Cog Hill in Lemont, IL (pristine, playing from the tips helps one understand how good the pros are, a memorable 4th).

All in one day???? :superman:

Hah, no.

Ruffled Feathers very early tomorrow morning - here's hoping it doesn't storm...

Just knocked out 18 at Lost Marsh in Hammond, IN (remains convenient yet gimmicky), 18 at The Sanctuary in New Lenox, IL (pleasantly surprised by this track although the fair price is surely a factor), 9 at Sydney R. Marovitz in Chicago, IL (no commentary needed), and 18 at Dubsdread at Cog Hill in Lemont, IL (pristine, playing from the tips helps one understand how good the pros are, a memorable 4th).

Hah, no.

Ruffled Feathers very early tomorrow morning - here's hoping it doesn't storm...

Let us know how the course is. Last time I was out there the conditions were less than ideal.

Hah, no.

Let us know how the course is. Last time I was out there the conditions were less than ideal.

Were you saying that the greens were in rough shape?

Hah, no.

Were you saying that the greens were in rough shape?

Yes, I played early in the year and it was great but a couple of weeks ago it looked like they had a fungus or something.

My favorite course! I'm always excited to bring people there that have not played it before.

My favorite course! I'm always excited to bring people there that have not played it before.

Had never heard of this course. Would you guys say it is worth a 55 minute commute?

Had never heard of this course. Would you guys say it is worth a 55 minute commute?

Honestly, no. I live in the city and have no problem driving an hour to play golf. Steeple Chase is a nice course, but if I'm driving an hour in that direction I'm playing Stonewall 100% of the time.

Absolutely not. It's a solid $50-$60 course for that area, but that's it. It's not special in any way.

Just got done with the same trip myself. We ran out and played Blackthorn in South Bend, In on the way up and what a deal this course was at $41. Just some great golf holes and the course was in phenomenal shape. I guess they just had an lpga even there recently? Anyway I can't wait to get back out there and make a 36 hole day out of this course and the Warren.

My thoughts on Gull Lake are about the same as yours. We played East/West/North/South, the greens on East/West like you said were horribly slow. I hate the holes that were built on a bog on the West course and the East course is just more or less target golf which I do agree gets old and this is only my third year up there with this group who has been doing it for 20+.

The Stonehedge courses were much better. North I had my best round of the year going on, I was -1 standing on the 18th tee box and managed to get greedy trying to get it to -2 and instead double bogeyed the hole for a 73. The South course I have a love/hate relationship with, I think there's so many fantastic holes and they just look really pleasing but the course is super tight. I didn't really bust out the driver on that course and kept the ball in play but a few guys in our group did struggle with trees, you really don't have much margin for error and with the rough being rock solid from lack of play it was real easy on all courses to end up in a bad bad place if you landed even a few feet off the fairway. With all that said I look forward to returning next year if nothing else for the people.

Did you guys check out the new course at all? We were told they were going to upcharge the stay if you wanted to play it, we heard varying prices none of which sounded reasonable and given what we saw the course just didn't look like anything special, a half assed highlands of Elgin was what one guy thought in our group. Rumor has it they ran out of money and are struggling to finish a couple of the holes...

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Fun day with Jimwgt26 yesterday at Village Links on a windy afternoon. Lefty and Vnutz would appreciate the ho-hum 9 front nine pars. A few others on the back including topping my 3-wood on the 13th tee. Ah well, you get that. Recovered well after that though and just missed the 20 foot eagle putt on 16. All in all, a good ball-striking day and whilst the greens were rolling nicely, couldn't make anything outside of 6 feet.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]