Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Why not just work on your swing? You don't have to swing for the fences with these clubs. That's what I like about these is that I get the distances while focusing on a smooth swing. To each their own I guess.

Cleveland Launcher XL2 Driver 

Cleveland Halo XL Hy-woods

Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 51, 54

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Q Star Tour 

Why not just work on your swing? You don't have to swing for the fences with these clubs. That's what I like about these is that I get the distances while focusing on a smooth swing. To each their own I guess.

This is great advice. I was trying to overpower them, and then the past few range sessions just thought about smooth tempo and good transition with really opening up the hips, and everything from 6i down became a really nice high ball flight. I think my lofts are off as the distances seem too close in some clubs, so it's time to get them checked.

What I need to figure out is how to transition that smooth powerful swing to the 5 and really the 4i and keep getting that sort of height and power.

But I totally get the long ball. I took a really hard swing on a 197 yard par 3 with my 6i and it flew the green (>220). It was a low spin high shot, and the club head was moving >90 probably. That smooth swing should put me right at 195. That's the only thing that worries me, but it's all about restraint.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

TaylorMade Spider X

I believe you shouldn't have to correct your swing to a set up clubs. Too many people talk about fliers with these.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I've been gaming the CF 16's for a few months and beginning to think that perhaps these weren't the right clubs for me. Consistency was my biggest problem. Some great shots once in a while followed by some not so great. Got the point where I just didn't know what to expect.

han

I decided to visit Golf-Md in Kansas City and spent an hour with Mike Dickerson, the fitter there. I ordered the CF 16's with senior graphite shafts and 1/2 inch short. Mike's analysis was that I didn't need new clubs, I needed a club 1/2 inch shorter that my already 1/2 inch short clubs. He suggested choking up a 1/2 inch instead of cutting them down. Also changed the lie to 1.5 degrees flat from normal.

After 3 rounds, what a difference. My dispersion has improved immensely and my distance is exactly what I expect it to be.

He also shorted my driver (Callaway Epic) and I'm hitting drives that are longer and going exactly where I want them to go. 6 for 6 yesterday on a 9 hole course. I'm 69 years old and hitting drives longer than my much younger golf buddies.

It feels like I have new clubs, but it just goes to show you what a real fitter can do with YOUR swing. BTW, he said my swing was good so I kept it and I"m getting more out of it with some minor tweaks to the clubs.

One of his comments really hit home with me. Most golfers are using clubs that are either too long or don't have the correct lie.

• 2 weeks later...

They launch nice and high. My worry on them is distance dispersion and they are shortish toe to heel. I prefer i25s.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

• 4 weeks later...

Finally picked up a set of Apex CF16 that were at a great price, only thing is they've got the Recoil ES 760 shafts, i was worried they'd be a bit light and a tad noodly for me, but i can't really pick any faults so far, they do go a lot higher than my old X2 hots, which is never a bad thing, it has made me concentrate more on delofting though, especially when practicing the into wind shots. Weirdly during the trial of the clubs i didn't pick up any clubhead speed, must be the way i swing negating the loss of 25 grams per shaft!

Anyone else have the 760s and have any long term opinions, never thought i'd go graphite in irons, but from the first couple of rounds i honestly struggle to tell much of a difference.

I believe you shouldn't have to correct your swing to a set up clubs. Too many people talk about fliers with these.

Bingo

Unfortunately as much as I loved they feel and shape of them I had bad flyer issues as well with the 7 and up. The "Cupped Face" clubs.

Extra 10-15 yards out of the blue when I leaned on them a bit or was a little pumped. Stayed in my bag last summer for a few months but the crazy jumpers just made me cave in eventually and give up on them.

I have an aggressive tempo and I'm a "hitter", so I just don't think they were the right match for me.

Finally picked up a set of Apex CF16 that were at a great price, only thing is they've got the Recoil ES 760 shafts, i was worried they'd be a bit light and a tad noodly for me, but i can't really pick any faults so far, they do go a lot higher than my old X2 hots, which is never a bad thing, it has made me concentrate more on delofting though, especially when practicing the into wind shots. Weirdly during the trial of the clubs i didn't pick up any clubhead speed, must be the way i swing negating the loss of 25 grams per shaft!

Anyone else have the 760s and have any long term opinions, never thought i'd go graphite in irons, but from the first couple of rounds i honestly struggle to tell much of a difference.

I play these with the Recoil 760s. They're definitely light but surprisingly stable. I did pick up a bit of club and ball speed. I haven't had any issues though ideallly I think the Recoil 95 would be best for me.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

The "flyer" issue is real with these things. I've had them since December of last year and I thought people were exaggerating... It doesn't happen a lot, but every now and then, I'll hit my 6 iron 195 when I was trying to hit it 175. As others have said, it only occurs with the longer irons. Aside from that these clubs are great.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

I play these with the Recoil 760s. They're definitely light but surprisingly stable. I did pick up a bit of club and ball speed. I haven't had any issues though ideallly I think the Recoil 95 would be best for me.

Think it's the same for me, bar the additional speed for some reason, i was surprised at how quickly i switched from a 100 gram to 70 gram shaft, but the head does feel light as well compared to my old clubs, so maybe that made it easier.

As for these against the G400, i did try them as well, i'd say that they're quite a bit different, so should be a good test to sample what you prefer.

I cannot help but wonder....did the people complaining of distance inaccuracies have a recent fitting? I did a fitting with Cool Clubs early 2016. I am hitting these further and more consistent than any club I have ever owned. I don't change irons often and expect to get many years out of these. I have noticed they have become the iron of choice at our club as well. I absolutely love these, way to go Callaway!

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I cannot help but wonder....did the people complaining of distance inaccuracies have a recent fitting? I did a fitting with Cool Clubs early 2016. I am hitting these further and more consistent than any club I have ever owned. I don't change irons often and expect to get many years out of these. I have noticed they have become the iron of choice at our club as well. I absolutely love these, way to go Callaway!

That's how I feel as well. My only gripe is I have a bigger distance gap between my 8i and 7i than in every other set I have owned. Im assuming this is because of the cup face on 7i while the 8i does not have it. With a comfortable swing (a range swing essentially) I will hit the 8 around 165 (call it 163-167). With the 7i, my comfortable swing is about 180 (call it 178-182). I get a little jammed up when I have to play something from like 172 yards. I know I can play the 8-pw a degree strong or weaken the 7i+ but I like the ball flight I currently have and the spin numbers are right on target. So I just adjust for that one that falls in the gap every round or two.

But yeah in terms of distance dispersion issues. I haven't seen that issue at all. I have had 2 balls in 35-40 rounds which seemed to really fly WAY further than expected (which I couldn't attribute to catching a flier lie). One was in super weird weather in Denver and could have been elevation, the weather warming up, the swirling wind or more likely a good mix of all (I flew a 9i over a 70 foot long green and the pin was lasered at 155 with the pin on the front edge.. I think I carried the 9i over 175 yards). The second one was a ball which was caught a hair thin and I think came off the face with little spin and it just launched. Other than literally those 2 shots... these are the most consistent irons I have ever played. They aren't getting replaced anytime soon.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

That's how I feel as well. My only gripe is I have a bigger distance gap between my 8i and 7i than in every other set I have owned. Im assuming this is because of the cup face on 7i while the 8i does not have it. With a comfortable swing (a range swing essentially) I will hit the 8 around 165 (call it 163-167). With the 7i, my comfortable swing is about 180 (call it 178-182). I get a little jammed up when I have to play something from like 172 yards. I know I can play the 8-pw a degree strong or weaken the 7i+ but I like the ball flight I currently have and the spin numbers are right on target. So I just adjust for that one that falls in the gap every round or two.

But yeah in terms of distance dispersion issues. I haven't seen that issue at all. I have had 2 balls in 35-40 rounds which seemed to really fly WAY further than expected (which I couldn't attribute to catching a flier lie). One was in super weird weather in Denver and could have been elevation, the weather warming up, the swirling wind or more likely a good mix of all (I flew a 9i over a 70 foot long green and the pin was lasered at 155 with the pin on the front edge.. I think I carried the 9i over 175 yards). The second one was a ball which was caught a hair thin and I think came off the face with little spin and it just launched. Other than literally those 2 shots... these are the most consistent irons I have ever played. They aren't getting replaced anytime soon.

Have you tried working down the shaft an inch or two to vary your yardages?

Works well for me.

AITD MAX 8.5 Tour / Ventus Blue 6-X

Titleist TSR 3W 15* / Ventus Blue 7-X
Callaway Apex 20* / Tour AD DI 85x
Callaway X-Forged '18 4i-PW/ Modus3 125x

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore Tour Rack 50.10 / 54.12 / 58.06 / DG TI S400

Odyssey Jailbird Mini WH

Ok. Just got my set and played today. All I can say is WOW. Easy to hit, look great, feel great. 15+ mph winds today and it had ZERO effect on my shots. Gained a solid 15 yards per club which is a big deal for a short knocker! Wasn't expecting so much from the matching sand wedge to be honest, but it was great for chipping. Not sure how it will work out of actual sand. I don't see how anyone couldn't like these irons. Thinking of picking up a backup set lol.

Just my experience of course. I've played a lot of Cally irons over the years and these tick all the boxes for me.

Still think this?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

CF16's have finally lost their spot in my home club bag to the Epics. I'll be moving the CF 16's into my away bag and trading in the 716 AP2's. I still think the CF 16's are one of the best iron sets ever made and look forward to testing the CF 18's when they come out next year.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Have you tried working down the shaft an inch or two to vary your yardages?

Works well for me.

That's how I adjust for the gap. I actually find myself taking most swings choked up a half inch, inch, 2 inches, etc. I have a tendency to rush my transition when I try to 'step on one' to attempt to get an extra few yards out of an iron. So instead of trying to hit that 8i 170, I will take a 7i and choke down a bit. I do this throughout the bag just as a way to play 'smarter' and better manage my swing. The gap is just larger than I am used to and takes a little more adjustment in that yardage window than with the other gaps. I love these irons. They don't have the best feel or sound, but, for me they flat out perform. I can get past the feel (they don't feel 'bad' to me just feel different than anything else I have played) and the one larger yardage gap because for me they launch incredibly consistent, are forgiving and my game as improved as a result. My GIR percentage has increased by 13% (from 40% to 53%) since I put them in the bag and that has increased while my FIR percentage has remained relatively flat (51% to 52%).

I'm very much a CF16 believer.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I played the old apex with graphite shafts, i found them to be great however, i tried the cf16 with lighter steel and found them to be firm and better. it depends on your swing i think. i found it harder to take a divot and attack the ball with good dispersion with the graphite.

another thing i 100% agree on is length and lie importance. when i got the new steel cf16s they were 1.5 degree flat and too long (bnought them and thought they were standard) those were a few really frustrating rounds. got it fixed and im getting better and better!