Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

I'm somewhat surprised the K-3 is still in stock.

Well they've had months to get ready for their release and they certainly know from past experience the sort of volume that's likely to be needed. Costco probably ordered up waaaay more of the K3 than they ever had of the original ball.

All I really know is, you can generally figure Costco knows what they're doing. The furious selling pace of the original K-Sig might have caught them off guard but they seem to have it sussed out with the new ball.

I just received my 2nd order of 4 dozen K-3. Might have to offload some of my surplus of ChromeSoft soon :)

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I'm somewhat surprised the K-3 is still in stock.

I'm somewhat surprised that the K3 is not being sold in stores. IMO, the K3 exists solely due to Costco's inability to source an adequate supply of the original Ksig. Assuming that's correct, I have to believe that they would have gone out of their way to ensure that the same doesn't happen with the K3. I envision that eventually the K3 will be available in stores all year while the K4 will continue to be available periodically on their website as production allows (assuming that pending litigation goes their way). I'm just surprised that this is "eventually" rather than "immediately"

From what I know is that both k4 & k3 are copycat of other brand's outdated (tour) balls. Thus, you may have favorable experience such as feel, distance & spin. So playing k4 or k3 is like playing old version of tour urethane balls. Or buying outdated brand new car with less bells & whistles but functioning fine.

So some people do not mind buying "outdated design but new" balls due to the lower cost whereas other breed of people are adamant of buying the most updated brand new balls no matter what the cost is.

The choice is yours.

That may or may not be true, but your assumption that golf ball technology changes so significantly over a year or two that there's a noticeable difference to average golfers is misleading. Balls manufacturers release new golf balls because that's how they keep their revenues up, it's more about marketing than actual enhancements to technology.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Took the K3 out for a quick 9 holes and decided to put it up against a ProV1. I am around a 10 hcp with a 95 mph driver swing speed.

Off the driver, on similar swings distance was almost identical. I had a few where the ProV won by 3-5 yards and a few where the K3 won by 3-5 yards. Wind was negligible, btw. The launch was a bit higher off the driver with the K3 but nothing crazy high.

Irons were very similar as well. I felt I could control flight with either ball and the check up was close as well with most irons.

I did a lot of green side chipping and I guess the ProV may have had a little more bite but not really that much. I have never created a ton of spin on chips so this could be bigger for for those of you that really get your chips to check up. I also hit a few 30-40 yard pitches and found similar results.

Off the putter the K3 was a bit softer and I actually prefer the firmer ProV.

As far as the looks go, yes it is a glossier white compared to the ProV more like surlyn cover balls but as long as it performs, I could care less. I will also agree with others on the durability of the K3 is extremely good. So the conclusion for me and my game, there is no deal breaker for me in performance but definitely in price. I’ll enjoy my rounds a lot better when I’m not hitting it that well and the lost balls only cost me $3 instead of $12.

There's a lot of pages to read through so....I'll just ask.

Is there any truth that the 3-piece feels better and performs better with distance and spin than the 4-piece?

depends..its much easier to compress, but it depends on the player. I've played both and think the 3 piece is a great winter ball, the 4 piece is a better peak conditions ball for me.

There's a lot of pages to read through so....I'll just ask.

Is there any truth that the 3-piece feels better and performs better with distance and spin than the 4-piece?

depends..its much easier to compress, but it depends on the player. I've played both and think the 3 piece is a great winter ball, the 4 piece is a better peak conditions ball for me.

I'm a high compression player, not sure on general spin rates though. Given compression which would be better? I know 4piece is sold out right now, just curious.

From what I know is that both k4 & k3 are copycat of other brand's outdated (tour) balls. Thus, you may have favorable experience such as feel, distance & spin. So playing k4 or k3 is like playing old version of tour urethane balls. Or buying outdated brand new car with less bells & whistles but functioning fine.

So some people do not mind buying "outdated design but new" balls due to the lower cost whereas other breed of people are adamant of buying the most updated brand new balls no matter what the cost is.

The choice is yours.

Can you give us a reference to the information you seem to have about your theory of these being “outdated” golf balls? Or is it “someone” who would like to remain anonymous?

You forgot one group of people, those of us who don’t buy into the marketing hype and careless about keeping up with the Joneses.

The choice is yours.

Can you give us a reference to the information you seem to have about your theory of these being “outdated” golf balls? Or is it “someone” who would like to remain anonymous?

You forgot one group of people, those of us who don’t buy into the marketing hype and careless about keeping up with the Joneses.

Actually it is just different forms of hype and keeping up with Smiths instead of Jones. Keep in mind people have paid over $60 a dozen for K-Sigs because they just had to have the hot new thing that everybody was talking about.

The choice is yours.

More speculation passed off as fact. Ignore.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The choice is yours.

Actually it is just different forms of hype and keeping up with Smiths instead of Jones. Keep in mind people have paid over $60 a dozen for K-Sigs because they just had to have the hot new thing that everybody was talking about.

No.

There is quite literally a group of people who do exactly as he described. And we cannot be lumped into a hype catagory. Hype has got nothing to do with it. I like stuff that performs for cheap and don't have sucker tatood on my forehead. Do not throw me and the majority of posters here into the catagory of fools who spent 60/dozen on golf balls. Or 50/dozen. THOSE are the same catagory of people.

The choice is yours.

There was literally ZERO marketing hype from Costco on these balls, and they have no control over reviews and hype created on the secondary market. They just made a tour level, 4 piece, urethane covered balls at a price you usually pay for Pinnacles.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Hype is hype even when it comes fron GolfWRX or MGS.

You've lost site of his point.

A ball is not obsolete because an OEM marketing machine tells you how new and improved a product is. If you buy into this hype and believe we are playing antiquated products because the OEMS marketing machine says so, well then...enjoy your .00002% better ball for the extra $20 a dozen over what you can buy now from Snell and so many others.

On the other hand you buy into the idea that the Ksig was a great ball for only 15 a dozen... Nothing foolish there at all. But calling the enthusiasm for a great value "hype" is bastardizing the use of the word "hype" in this context.

Let me be clear.

Some people simply MUST have, for instance, Titleist balls. Because it’s the most played ball on Tour, yada, yada, yada.

Other people simply MUST get their hands on some KIRKLAND Signature balls because all the talk was on social media says it’s the greatest ball ever, yada, yada, yada.

Of course neither of those apply to me or you. You are simply exhibiting your remarkably efficient eye for a great value. And I am simply exhibiting a highly perceptive knowledge of how AVX perfectly suits my game. I am not saying WE are just responding to hype. But millions of those other folks sure as heck are. And in the past 24 months it’s hard to think of any golf ball receiving more breathless enthusiasm (ie hype) as that original K-Sig did.

Let me be clear.

Some people simply MUST have, for instance, Titleist balls. Because it's the most played ball on Tour, yada, yada, yada.

Other people simply MUST get their hands on some KIRKLAND Signature balls because all the talk was on social media says it's the greatest ball ever, yada, yada, yada.

Of course neither of those apply to me or you. You are simply exhibiting your remarkably efficient eye for a great value. And I am simply exhibiting a highly perceptive knowledge of how AVX perfectly suits my game. I am not saying WE are just responding to hype. But millions of those other folks sure as heck are. And in the past 24 months it's hard to think of any golf ball receiving more breathless enthusiasm (ie hype) as that original K-Sig did.

There's a difference between hype created by a manufacturers marketing efforts and hype (used only for lack of better word) created by customers who appreciate the value a product offers. To my knowledge, Kirkland, nor Costco has spent any money creating hype, they simply offered a 4 piece ball with a urethane cover at a price point the industry had not seen from a new ball and it deservedly received attention from the golf media.

Paying $60 for a dozen KSigs completely goes against the intent of Kirkland to offer a quality ball at a low price point. The point I made and some expanded on was the attempt to diminish the KSig ball because it was suggested by the poster to be a 1 or 2 generation older ball and how in practical terms that really means nothing to over 80% of golfers. If people could buy new 2016 version Pro V1's at the price of a KSig, they'd jump all over it.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Played with a guy today that last year tried the KSIG but was too firm for his liking. He told me today he liked the NXT but didn't care for the Tour Soft. So now he is playing the new Velocity and seems to be ok with that. He hasn't really tried anything outside of Titleist other than the KSIG when the initial hype was in full bloom.

Seems like a brand loyalist that doesn't want to pay big boy money to play the V1 series. Just reminds me how mental the ball can be for some. Thankfully I can play well or poor with almost any premium ball, although I do seem to favor a couple more than others.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Played with a guy today that last year tried the KSIG but was too firm for his liking. He told me today he liked the NXT but didn't care for the Tour Soft. So now he is playing the new Velocity and seems to be ok with that. He hasn't really tried anything outside of Titleist other than the KSIG when the initial hype was in full bloom.

Seems like a brand loyalist that doesn't want to pay big boy money to play the V1 series. Just reminds me how mental the ball can be for some. Thankfully I can play well or poor with almost any premium ball, although I do seem to favor a couple more than others.

K-Sig too firm, but not the Verockity????

K-Sig too firm, but not the Verockity????

Right?? I have not hit the new Velocity so maybe they softened it up. I didn't bring any K3's with me today to let him try but will see him next week so I will see how he likes them.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Hype is hype even when it comes fron GolfWRX or MGS.

Come on NB...got anything to share with the class?

Early days but so far it seems K-Sig suits my game better than K-3. K-Sig reminds me of B330 and ProV1x, both of which I’ve enjoyed playing for months at a stretch in the past.

I had thought K-3 might perform somewhat like AVX but it has a ways through go if it’s going to be all that! It just seems like a perfectly average medium trajectory, normal spin Urethane ball.

K-Sig is right up there among the spinniest balls I’ve ever played. It’s a marvel when it comes to bunker shots checking up. I don’t depend on tons of spin in the short game but guys who do might really like that one.

But that’s after two rounds. I reserve the right to reverse any of those opinions after a thorough tryout...