2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @snagy2000 said:

> > > @jmgledhill said:

> > > > @ZNDavis said:

> > > > KP1 no longer listed on Costco’s golf ball page ?

> > >

> > > wow. guess these are going back.

> > >

> > > As an aside, when i was hitting these on the trackman I got a couple toward the end (maybe hit it 40 times) that had really low spin numbers, like 2000 for a 7 iron, that felt like it was struck well. i just assumed that the trackman didn't get it right, but now, in light of all the cover separation talk, i think it might have been the ball.

> > >

> > > what a bummer.

> >

> > Good news, apparently no one on this forum can play the same ball for 40 swings without hitting a tree or cart path. Nothing to worry about, I say!!! In other news, apparently the spy site is pushing up their testing of the ball because they've been reading this forum and are claiming they started noticing issues during initial testing as well. Basically, it's just buying them time for Toney and Dean to get together and write another hit piece. #Kidding #Sorta

>

> I don't think that is kidding at all.

>

> It was crickets about the ball over there until a few hours after all these photos started showing up on GolfWRX and voila they've "discovered" some issues.

>

> The sad thing is, a few months from now they will have convinced the whole world that they broke some kind of scoop about KP1's lack of quality control.

Some of us already knew quality was sketch. That’s the price you pay with the price you pay. I told You guys a long time ago, the budget ball market (not the DTC) are gonna rob you blind with a quick sale. The covers on the original KSIG 4 weren’t good at all and even Crossfield said that in his review. You all then cried about the K3 ballooning and it’s finish. And now you’re all shocked that this is happening. Waste of $30 IMO.

Stick with the reputable stuff.

Apparently the folks in Costco Customer Service weren't aware of the problem. Here's the transcript of my "chat" with Denise in Costco CS...

Denise C. has joined the chat

DP4: Hi Costco...there have been some ugly photos of the new Kirkland Signature 4 piece golf ball that have showed up on GolfWRX.com. It shows the balls being significantly damaged after a few swings/holes.

Denise C.: Hi DP4! Thank you for choosing Costco! My name is Denise C. - I'm reviewing your request and will be with you in just a moment.

DP4: Also saw that they're no longer on the site. Any official word from Costco on the product?

Denise C.: Good morning. I know that the golf balls sold out within a few hours of being on the website and we don't have any information on when they'll be back. I haven't heard any reports of them being damaged so quickly.

DP4: If you go to GolfWRX.com you'll see a thread on the KSigs as we call them and now with the new 4 piece, there are pics of covers splitting

Denise C.: I'll take a quick look.

DP4: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1378818/kirkland-signature-costco-golf-balls-merged-no-bst-posts-update-4-3-18-back-in-stock#latest

DP4: Go to the last few pages to see pics

DP4: It doesn't seem I can post a pic for you so you'll have to go to page 489 for example.

DP4: The KSig balls are somewhat of a cult classic and the new release is taking quite a beating now

Denise C.: I did a search for Kirkland Signature and Ksig and didn't find anything recently posted.

DP4: can you cut and paste the link I sent you above?

DP4: Post 14644, 14648, 14652

Denise C.: I'm on the site looking to see if I can pull up one of those posts.

DP4: ok

DP4: There are a lot more pics of the ball being damaged after a couple of shots

DP4: So they didn't give you all any heads up on this?

Denise C.: No, we haven't heard anything. I just chatted the group I'm in here and no one has heard any complaints, except that they're out of stock.

DP4: The balls were on the site yesterday with a projected return date of 10/15 and today they're gone.

DP4: You might want to let your folks know because there are going to be a lot of returns based on the cover of the ball cutting rather easily.

Denise C.: We don't seem to get many at a time so they usually sell out very fast.

DP4: Of course...and the guys on GolfWRX are probably responsible for 90% of the sales.

Denise C.: I will definitely pass the information on to my supervisor. Do you have an order you need to return?

DP4: I haven't personally played them yet but will on Saturday. Will let you guys know after that.

DP4: Thanks Denise.

Denise C.: You're welcome. Can I help with anything else?

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Apparently the folks in Costco Customer Service weren't aware of the problem. Here's the transcript of my "chat" with Denise in Costco CS...

>

> Denise C. has joined the chat

> DP4: Hi Costco...there have been some ugly photos of the new Kirkland Signature 4 piece golf ball that have showed up on GolfWRX.com. It shows the balls being significantly damaged after a few swings/holes.

> Denise C.: Hi DP4! Thank you for choosing Costco! My name is Denise C. - I'm reviewing your request and will be with you in just a moment.

> DP4: Also saw that they're no longer on the site. Any official word from Costco on the product?

> Denise C.: Good morning. I know that the golf balls sold out within a few hours of being on the website and we don't have any information on when they'll be back. I haven't heard any reports of them being damaged so quickly.

> DP4: If you go to GolfWRX.com you'll see a thread on the KSigs as we call them and now with the new 4 piece, there are pics of covers splitting

> Denise C.: I'll take a quick look.

> DP4: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1378818/kirkland-signature-costco-golf-balls-merged-no-bst-posts-update-4-3-18-back-in-stock#latest

> DP4: Go to the last few pages to see pics

> DP4: It doesn't seem I can post a pic for you so you'll have to go to page 489 for example.

> DP4: The KSig balls are somewhat of a cult classic and the new release is taking quite a beating now

> Denise C.: I did a search for Kirkland Signature and Ksig and didn't find anything recently posted.

> DP4: can you cut and paste the link I sent you above?

> DP4: Post 14644, 14648, 14652

> Denise C.: I'm on the site looking to see if I can pull up one of those posts.

> DP4: ok

> DP4: There are a lot more pics of the ball being damaged after a couple of shots

> DP4: So they didn't give you all any heads up on this?

> Denise C.: No, we haven't heard anything. I just chatted the group I'm in here and no one has heard any complaints, except that they're out of stock.

> DP4: The balls were on the site yesterday with a projected return date of 10/15 and today they're gone.

> DP4: You might want to let your folks know because there are going to be a lot of returns based on the cover of the ball cutting rather easily.

> Denise C.: We don't seem to get many at a time so they usually sell out very fast.

> DP4: Of course...and the guys on GolfWRX are probably responsible for 90% of the sales.

> Denise C.: I will definitely pass the information on to my supervisor. Do you have an order you need to return?

> DP4: I haven't personally played them yet but will on Saturday. Will let you guys know after that.

> DP4: Thanks Denise.

> Denise C.: You're welcome. Can I help with anything else?

>

Has Mrs. Pelz inspected your balls ? Feedback?

• Like 1

Thanks for asking JAS! Actually the package with the new balls was delivered yesterday and opened during Happy Hour. To her chagrin, the new 4 piece didn't have the same smell as the the original 4 piece which was a disappointment. She is pleased that the new balls are supposed to be more penetrating, because she's all about penetrating...ball flights. She's a big fan of harder vs softer...covers...so this ball could disappoint in that area. She also preferred the mantle on the original 4 piece because of the faster energy transfer and she's always looking for excellent performance.

It won't be until Saturday that we play a round with the balls so I'll let you know her feed back on my balls.

• Like 1

People need to stop freaking out, jeez. When Callaway first released the Big Bertha, shafts were breaking everywhere. They changed shafts and sent out a new one to anyone who broke one, and Callaway recovered. It could be a simple tweak at the factory that fuses the cover to the inner mantle better, I'm sure Costco will fix the problem and re-release them. In the meantime, their return policy is so great that people will get all their money back, so hopefully the complaining stops.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Thanks for asking JAS! Actually the package with the new balls was delivered yesterday and opened during Happy Hour. To her chagrin, the new 4 piece didn't have the same smell as the the original 4 piece which was a disappointment. She is pleased that the new balls are supposed to be more penetrating, because she's all about penetrating...ball flights. She's a big fan of harder vs softer...covers...so this ball could disappoint in that area. She also preferred the mantle on the original 4 piece because of the faster energy transfer and she's always looking for excellent performance.

>

> It won't be until Saturday that we play a round with the balls so I'll let you know her feed back on my balls.

I eagerly await her assessment.....

> @gioreeko said:

> People need to stop freaking out, jeez. When Callaway first released the Big Bertha, shafts were breaking everywhere. They changed shafts and sent out a new one to anyone who broke one, and Callaway recovered. It could be a simple tweak at the factory that fuses the cover to the inner mantle better, I'm sure Costco will fix the problem and re-release them. In the meantime, their return policy is so great that people will get all their money back, so hopefully the whining stops.

I wonder if they will fix the problem (fixed balls would take months to make it through the pipeline) or whether they will just punt and move on to products they are better at supplying. I also wonder if they didn't get somewhat suckered in by the (original) K-Sig hype and dragged in much farther than they ever intended.

Unlike metalwoods for Eli-era Callaway, four piece urethane golf balls are hardly a core product in KIRKLAND's brand identity or a cornerstone of its future.

> @Rory4Pres said:

> I can see it now....

> After a poor review by MGSpy, Costco will be showing up to meet with MGSpy and "improve relations"

> (callaway bash for anyone not in the know)

Except they'll only pledge to spend $50,000 improving their golf ball QC process.

> @Girevik said:

> So now I have fro decide if I try mine (my swing speed doesn't compare top a lot of yours) or just take them back.

feel free to try them out, I'm sure you don't need to have every ball to get a full refund. Costco literally has the best return policy I've ever seen.

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @Girevik said:

> So now I have fro decide if I try mine (my swing speed doesn't compare top a lot of yours) or just take them back.

The peeling and torn covers have NOT been just from high clubhead speed players. The guys experiencing KP1 cover failures have been a mixture of all types of golfer.

> @rlb4 said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> > So question: when you return these, does costco give you the $5 shipping refund or do you lose out on $5 for every box you return?

> Shipping and tax are both refunded.

>

How do you make sure to get shipping refunded? When I went through the return process there was no option for that and it looks like I'm only being refunded the cost.

> @"High Draws Low Fades" said:

> > @rlb4 said:

> > > @Rory4Pres said:

> > > So question: when you return these, does costco give you the $5 shipping refund or do you lose out on $5 for every box you return?

> > Shipping and tax are both refunded.

> >

>

> How do you make sure to get shipping refunded? When I went through the return process there was no option for that and it looks like I'm only being refunded the cost.

If you return in store it should automatically be refunded. I would assume it's the same if returning by mail. You can call customer service and ask to make sure it is the same when returning by mail.

> @Girevik said:

IMHO, try them, see how they do for you and if you have any concerns/issues Costco seems more than willing to take them back. It's my plan for Saturday.

I've also sent a note in to a contact at Costco's HQ to see if they have an official position on the ball quality and their direction moving forward.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > So now I have fro decide if I try mine (my swing speed doesn't compare top a lot of yours) or just take them back.

>

> IMHO, try them, see how they do for you and if you have any concerns/issues Costco seems more than willing to take them back. It's my plan for Saturday.

>

> I've also sent a note in to a contact at Costco's HQ to see if they have an official position on the ball quality and their direction moving forward.

That's the easy I'm leaning. The return policy is generous there's virtually no risk.

Sto Pro Veritate

I've read that a few people have played full rounds and had no problems, so maybe all of them aren't bad? Bad golfers used to cut balata covered balls back in the day, so it could be the golfer in some cases, not sure. I'll try the ball this weekend and see for myself I guess.

Maltby TSW sand wedge

I'm still playing the K4. I'm down to about 4 dozen now. I never even tried the K3 because the cheap, glossy-looking cover made me suspect of performance and made me think I would be better off with 5A recycled (not refurbished) premium balls from lostgolfballs or some other used retailer.

I was looking forward to the KP1, but I'm certainly out after cut-gate.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @DLev45 said:

> I'm still playing the K4. I'm down to about 4 dozen now. I never even tried the K3 because the cheap, glossy-looking cover made me suspect of its performance from the get-go, but I was looking forward to the KP1.

>

> I'm certainly out after cut-gate.

i was anticipating the KP1 too, its ashame the construction is horrible...the price is cheap, but come on.....

> @monks66 said:

> > @DLev45 said:

> > I'm still playing the K4. I'm down to about 4 dozen now. I never even tried the K3 because the cheap, glossy-looking cover made me suspect of its performance from the get-go, but I was looking forward to the KP1.

> >

> > I'm certainly out after cut-gate.

>

> i was anticipating the KP1 too, its ashame the construction is horrible...the price is cheap, but come on....

Man, you're almost so believable...

> @gioreeko said:

> I've read that a few people have played full rounds and had no problems, so maybe all of them aren't bad? Bad golfers used to cut balata covered balls back in the day, so it could be the golfer in some cases, not sure. I'll try the ball this weekend and see for myself I guess.

If a "bad golfer" destroys a KP1 in a handful of holes but he can play multiple rounds with a TP5, Chrome Soft, Pro V1, Z-Star, Supersoft, e6, Wilson Duo, original K-Sig or K3 ball then the problem is with the KP1, not the golfer. You'd have to be wearing a serious pair of KIRKLAND Signature blinders to think the blame here lies with the victims and not the balls.

As mentioned earlier, I sent an email to a contact at Costco HQ. Here is her response:

Good Morning DP4,

Thank you for reaching out to Costco and filling out the Media Inquiry Form.

Management has no comment at this time.

We appreciate your interest and support of Costco Wholesale.

Please do not attribute my name to the information in this email.

Kind regards,

Name Withheld Upon Request

Corporate Communications

Costco Wholesale Corporation

845 Lake Drive l Issaquah, WA 98027 l (425) 313-XXXX

> @"North Butte" said:

> Thanks for asking them, Dave. But no surprise there's no comment. Hard to imagine anything they'd say at this point helping much until they decide what their next step is.

Next step is HOLD PRODUCTION!!! haha. I bet the factory has millions of finished balls loaded on skids either on their factory floor or on ships heading to the US. The small amount sold initially is only a small piece of the pie.

If they were smart, they would donate all the balls to first tee programs around the world. Tax write-off AND show good deed to customers.

Sadly, they may have to start from scratch on R&D and conforming list again. It could be a while before any new 4pc Ksigs make a return to the market.

No offense to anyone here, but this is an open forum and will be filled with opinions or even so called facts that cannot be proven on a message board. I will reserve my judgement on the new ball after a few rounds. With that said I do enjoy these forums and the discussions that go on in an open forum. There is good info to be gathered here after some filtering.