Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

> @SBD said:

> No offense to anyone here, but this is an open forum and will be filled with opinions or even so called facts that cannot be proven on a message board. I will reserve my judgement on the new ball after a few rounds. With that said I do enjoy these forums and the discussions that go on in an open forum. There is good info to be gathered here after some filtering.

Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

Got my first round in with the 2019 ball today, used 2 balls. No issues with cover damage for me, 103-105 swing speed with the driver. I was in the desert a few times with no tearing or gouging noted.

Ball perfromed great. Felt great off the driver and irons. The ball has a little "click" sound to it off the irons. Plenty of stopping power noted on the greens with the wedges. Felt great off the putter as well.

My regular ball is the TP5x, I will continue to play the TP5x in tournaments, as I don't think its as good as the TP5x, but for casual rounds this ball is perfect. Can't beat it for the price as far as I'm concerned.

Without uploading my pics because I’m on mobile and I’m also lazy, I didn’t play a round with the kp1. I first short chips Balls were fine. Put my first damage on the ball on the first 58* shot I tried over 35 yds (or paces, my pace is approximately a yard) some sand was on the wedge that i didn’t wipe off. The grain is embedded in the cover. By the 8th shot I had 2 smilies. By the 11th, I had scuffs. Not one shot greater than 50 yds. Potentially you can’t even complete one hole with this ball without damage. Very disappointing. Full disclosure my 58 is fairly new and sharp. But I did try with my 54 and still got a smiley. On a 100yd shot. Smilies all over the ball now. Returning this afternoon.

With people reporting full rounds with no damage I’m wondering if there’s a bad batch off the line.

> Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

• Like 1

Genesis: Costo Sets the Golfwrx world on fire with the original Titleist Killer KSig...........Costco keeps the flames burning with limited releases and introduce a cheaper K3 piece............Costco turns up the Golfwrx heat by dumping a horrible ball on the rabid drooling masses........This thread continues infinitum......

> @Rory4Pres said:

>**Sadly, they may have to start from scratch on R&D and conforming list again.** It could be a while before any new 4pc Ksigs make a return to the market. >

Costco isn't doing any R&D on the golf balls they sell. They are buying an "off the shelf" ball from a Chinese ball factory to meet certain ball specs and price point. Same as most of the DTC golf balls being sold.

> @grm24 said:

> > @Rory4Pres said:

> >**Sadly, they may have to start from scratch on R&D and conforming list again.** It could be a while before any new 4pc Ksigs make a return to the market. >

>

> Costco isn't doing any R&D on the golf balls they sell. They are buying an "off the shelf" ball from a Chinese ball factory to meet certain ball specs and price point. Same as most of the DTC golf balls being sold.

Yes, there's no R&D. But they still have to submit it to USGA with the KIRKLAND stampings, etc. and designate it as a ball to be tested for conformance.

So if they had samples of a different off the shelf Fantom model in hand tomorrow, they'd be looking at somewhere well after the first of next year to get it tested and approved, then manufactured, then shipped to USA.

Guess we'll find out come Masters time next Spring if there's going to be a KP1 Mark II or not...

> @tennistim777 said:

> Ok, I need everyone's thoughts please. Wouldn't you think that this new ball KP1 would go through a "quality test" before being released to the general public? I'm assuming that this ball would had went through some type of swing/contact quality test before being released to the public?

Yes, one would certainly assume that. It's frankly rather preposterous that Costco let these slip through unnoticed.

What did Forest Gump say? Stupid is as stupid does.

No offense to anyone here, but this is an open forum and will be filled with opinions or even so called facts that cannot be proven on a message board. I will reserve my judgement on the new ball after a few rounds. With that said I do enjoy these forums and the discussions that go on in an open forum. There is a lot of good information to be had. Just need to filter through at times.

> @SBD said:

>

> > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

>

> Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @SBD said:

> >

> > > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

> >

> > Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

>

> Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

I will say I liked the spin, and feel both off the putter and wedge. No comment on irons and driver performance as I’ve not done that sort of “testing” for myself and as I’m returning, won’t be. I’ll still get two boxes next time their released hoping for different results from a durability standpoint.

> @jpdx said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @SBD said:

> > >

> > > > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

> > >

> > > Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

> >

> > Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

>

> I will say I liked the spin, and feel both off the putter and wedge. No comment on irons and driver performance as I’ve not done that sort of “testing” for myself and as I’m returning, won’t be. I’ll still get two boxes next time their released hoping for different results from a durability standpoint.

why return them without trying them? you don't have to have every single ball to get a full refund. Maybe there was a bad batch, results are starting get posted of full rounds with no damage, so it could be one batch that was bad, and not the whole shipment.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

> @gioreeko said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > @SBD said:

> > > >

> > > > > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

> > > >

> > > > Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

> > >

> > > Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

> >

> > I will say I liked the spin, and feel both off the putter and wedge. No comment on irons and driver performance as I’ve not done that sort of “testing” for myself and as I’m returning, won’t be. I’ll still get two boxes next time their released hoping for different results from a durability standpoint.

>

> why return them without trying them? you don't have to have every single ball to get a full refund. Maybe there was a bad batch, results are starting get posted of full rounds with no damage, so it could be one batch that was bad, and not the whole shipment.

I did try them around the short game area (few posts up) How many do you think I should try before returning?

I agree that it could be a bad batch. But with only 4 dozen minus 1 ball that is now badly damaged, chances are that a number of them will be from that same batch wouldn’t you say?

> @jpdx said:

> > @gioreeko said:

> > > @jpdx said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > > @SBD said:

> > > > >

> > > > > > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

> > > >

> > > > Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

> > >

> > > I will say I liked the spin, and feel both off the putter and wedge. No comment on irons and driver performance as I’ve not done that sort of “testing” for myself and as I’m returning, won’t be. I’ll still get two boxes next time their released hoping for different results from a durability standpoint.

> >

> > why return them without trying them? you don't have to have every single ball to get a full refund. Maybe there was a bad batch, results are starting get posted of full rounds with no damage, so it could be one batch that was bad, and not the whole shipment.

>

> I did try them around the short game area (few posts up) How many do you think I should try before returning?

>

> I agree that it could be a bad batch. But with only 4 dozen minus 1 ball that is now badly damaged, chances are that a number of them will be from that same batch wouldn’t you say?

>

you didn't mention it was badly damaged, I thought you only chipped and putted with it. If it's damaged from that, I would for sure just go ahead and return it.

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @gioreeko said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @gioreeko said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > > > @SBD said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

> > > >

> > > > I will say I liked the spin, and feel both off the putter and wedge. No comment on irons and driver performance as I’ve not done that sort of “testing” for myself and as I’m returning, won’t be. I’ll still get two boxes next time their released hoping for different results from a durability standpoint.

> > >

> > > why return them without trying them? you don't have to have every single ball to get a full refund. Maybe there was a bad batch, results are starting get posted of full rounds with no damage, so it could be one batch that was bad, and not the whole shipment.

> >

> > I did try them around the short game area (few posts up) How many do you think I should try before returning?

> >

> > I agree that it could be a bad batch. But with only 4 dozen minus 1 ball that is now badly damaged, chances are that a number of them will be from that same batch wouldn’t you say?

> >

>

> you didn't mention it was badly damaged, I thought you only chipped and putted with it. If it's damaged from that, I would for sure just go ahead and return it.

He did only practice short game with it. He was getting smileys with 50-yard wedge shots. At that point, not a lot to be gained by going out and knocking the cover off a few more of them with driver and irons, innit?

> @AzSuperHack76 said:

> Got my first round in with the 2019 ball today, used 2 balls. No issues with cover damage for me, 103-105 swing speed with the driver. I was in the desert a few times with no tearing or gouging noted.

>

> Ball perfromed great. Felt great off the driver and irons. The ball has a little "click" sound to it off the irons. Plenty of stopping power noted on the greens with the wedges. Felt great off the putter as well.

>

> My regular ball is the TP5x, I will continue to play the TP5x in tournaments, as I don't think its as good as the TP5x, but for casual rounds this ball is perfect. Can't beat it for the price as far as I'm concerned.

>

>

In your opinion, what makes it less good than the TP5X? Less distance? More/less spin? Feel?

I got mine today. I haven't hit them yet but I did go ahead and cut one in half. It seems that the issue may be the way that the cover is adhered to the outer core. My cutter didnt quite get all the way through but I was able, without much force at all, to completely separate the cover from the core. I can certainly see how this would cause an issue. Hopefully my pics upload. I'll still give them a go on the course though and see how that goes. Just for kicks, I cut a few other brands open and couldn't duplicate this with any other balls. i5sm2ab5iii0.jpg

m0cafu9zt0n6.jpg

> @bdg0117 said:

> I got mine today. I haven't hit them yet but I did go ahead and cut one in half. It seems that the issue may be the way that the cover is adhered to the outer core. My cutter didnt quite get all the way through but I was able, without much force at all, to completely separate the cover from the core. I can certainly see how this would cause an issue. Hopefully my pics upload. I'll still give them a go on the course though and see how that goes. Just for kicks, I cut a few other brands open and couldn't duplicate this with any other balls. i5sm2ab5iii0.jpg

> m0cafu9zt0n6.jpg

>

Not knowing anything about golf ball construction, is in fact the cover "supposed to be glued/bonded to the inner core?" Does any one know if all other balls are glued for sure, or are their other balls not bonded? Is it mandatory that all manufacturers bond the cover to the core? Was the original KSig glued? Is their 3 piece glued? What do we have for comparison? Thoughts?

> @bdg0117 said:

> I got mine today. I haven't hit them yet but I did go ahead and cut one in half. It seems that the issue may be the way that the cover is adhered to the outer core. My cutter didnt quite get all the way through but I was able, without much force at all, to completely separate the cover from the core. I can certainly see how this would cause an issue. Hopefully my pics upload. I'll still give them a go on the course though and see how that goes. Just for kicks, I cut a few other brands open and couldn't duplicate this with any other balls. i5sm2ab5iii0.jpg

> m0cafu9zt0n6.jpg

>

I wish my hard boiled eggs peeled that easily, lol

Maltby TSW sand wedge

> @tennistim777 said:

> > @bdg0117 said:

> > I got mine today. I haven't hit them yet but I did go ahead and cut one in half. It seems that the issue may be the way that the cover is adhered to the outer core. My cutter didnt quite get all the way through but I was able, without much force at all, to completely separate the cover from the core. I can certainly see how this would cause an issue. Hopefully my pics upload. I'll still give them a go on the course though and see how that goes. Just for kicks, I cut a few other brands open and couldn't duplicate this with any other balls. i5sm2ab5iii0.jpg

> > m0cafu9zt0n6.jpg

> >

>

> Not knowing anything about golf ball construction, is in fact the cover "supposed to be glued/bonded to the inner core?" Does any one know if all other balls are glued for sure, or are their other balls not bonded? Is it mandatory that all manufacturers bond the cover to the core? Was the original KSig glued? Is their 3 piece glued? What do we have for comparison? Thoughts?

Good question, I dont claim to be an expert, I just know that the other balls I could find (Pro V1x, Snell MTB, Cut Blue, Srixon z star xv) didn't have this issue. At least not that I could duplicate.

I’m > @gioreeko said:

> > @jpdx said:

> > > @gioreeko said:

> > > > @jpdx said:

> > > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > > > @SBD said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > Always intrigued by what inspires someone to make their first post. Costco brings out a lot of "passion" in all of us.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes my son and I were excited to get some of these ball so I have been searching the internet for current reviews. Hard not to get excited over a Tour (I know subjective) level ball at that price.

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you got them out to try as of yet? Always interested in what different individuals think of the performance.

> > > >

> > > > I will say I liked the spin, and feel both off the putter and wedge. No comment on irons and driver performance as I’ve not done that sort of “testing” for myself and as I’m returning, won’t be. I’ll still get two boxes next time their released hoping for different results from a durability standpoint.

> > >

> > > why return them without trying them? you don't have to have every single ball to get a full refund. Maybe there was a bad batch, results are starting get posted of full rounds with no damage, so it could be one batch that was bad, and not the whole shipment.

> >

> > I did try them around the short game area (few posts up) How many do you think I should try before returning?

> >

> > I agree that it could be a bad batch. But with only 4 dozen minus 1 ball that is now badly damaged, chances are that a number of them will be from that same batch wouldn’t you say?

> >

>

> you didn't mention it was badly damaged, I thought you only chipped and putted with it. If it's damaged from that, I would for sure just go ahead and return it.

Sorry. I thought smilies would be a good enough description. If it were only scuffs I could live with that. But as I said, sand was embedded in the cover, multiple deep smilies. All from maybe 20 less than 50yd wedges. I did hit some longer wedges but dmg was already done.

... Played the KS today and my initial thoughts are, it is a nice ball. The cover cut a little bit from 2 aggressive wedge shots but it was still playable for a casual round. But I replaced it after the 6th hole and the 2nd ball finished virtually unblemished for 12 holes, and I hit a tree with it and saw zero damage. To be fair I have had the similar cutting on Z Stars. It is only 2 balls and 1 round but I wanted to share my results. I will need several more rounds and will use a new ball to start every round, just like I always do, but so far I am happy with the performance and durability for the cost. It was never gonna replace my TP5x's as my gamer but I play almost every day and it is nice to have a ball that performs well and holds up enough to finish 1 round for $15 a dozen _**IF**_ the same durability holds up for the rest of the balls.

verbjuuiwvqi.jpg

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Wow, I really didn't want to believe Costco would release something with the Kirkland name that would have such a huge flaw, but I'm experiencing the same issue as others.

I played 36 holes today. The morning round was at my home course but they had a tournament after so I went to Dub's Dread for the afternoon round. I received my shipment while I was playing the morning round. Used a single ProV1X for my morning round and it performed perfectly with no flaws after the round and I will use it again next time I play.

Used the KP1s for my 2nd round which admittedly is a course with a ton of trees and since I like to use the entire course when I play, of course I hit a few. I did not hit any trees square on, just a few limbs that really didn't make much noise. I noticed on the 10th hole my ball had a pretty good sized cut and I'm not sure where it came from. I need to state here that I'm not one to cut balls often at all. Scuffs from cart paths, guilty, but I can't really remember the last time I cut a ball; it's been a while. I retired the ball and played the rest of the round with another KP1. By the end of the round that ball had a smaller, but still noticeable cut. For me to cut two balls in a round is pretty incredible. Sadly I'll be returning these and sticking with the mint (recycled not refurb) ProV1Xs I got from LostGolfBalls and the Z-Stars I got for a steal earlier this year.

Edit: forgot to include that the ball actually performed really well. I didn't notice anything crazy different from my ProV1X this morning, however the greens were much softer at Dub's so it wasn't a good comparison in that regard. As far as driver distance, iron distance and wedge performance it ticked the boxes for me in that small sample size of 18 holes.

3augtqnefafs.jpg

i019nl50ainj.jpg

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Finished my second round with the new ball. Wanted to play more than once before I posted. No noticeable difference in spin or yardage with irons-wedges than the BXS I normally play, but definitely noticed a difference off the driver. Lost some yards off the tee (Note: I know my yardages better than my kid’s birthdays, but will confirm on Trackman this weekend). I did not experience the splitting covers that others reported, but my wedges roughed up the ball enough that I switched out 3/4 through the rounds...not something I’d put into play for tournaments. For the low price, I don’t see myself returning these. They’ll make a fine Fall ball when I’m sick of losing pricey balls to the leaves. Seems like a lot of $4 pressure being put on a $1.50 ball, I think they’re fine for what they are. At less than half the price of a tour ball, I’d expect half the performance, and they definitely exceeded that.

> @kalamazoo said:

> Finished my second round with the new ball. Wanted to play more than once before I posted. No noticeable difference in spin or yardage with irons-wedges than the BXS I normally play, but definitely noticed a difference off the driver. Lost some yards off the tee (Note: I know my yardages better than my kid’s birthdays, but will confirm on Trackman this weekend). I did not experience the splitting covers that others reported, but my wedges roughed up the ball enough that I switched out 3/4 through the rounds...not something I’d put into play for tournaments. For the low price, I don’t see myself returning these. They’ll make a fine Fall ball when I’m sick of losing pricey balls to the leaves. Seems like a lot of $4 pressure being put on a $1.50 ball, I think they’re fine for what they are. At less than half the price of a tour ball, I’d expect half the performance, and they definitely exceeded that.

I think maybe a lot of people that compare these to $4 balls are missing something important...some people refuse to pay $4 per ball. I'm someone who will never spend $50 on a dozen golf balls. I stock up on the balls I like when they go on sale (like the $10 Srixon performance packs or $20 dozens). I can get these for $76 shipped for 4 dozen or I can get some Srixons for $80 plus tax. I'll pay a little extra for a ball I won't have to switch out. I hate switching out balls and prefer to play them until I lose them lol.

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

So my afternoon appointment canceled and I was able to get back out there and play a round since I was still out.

I ended up using the last two Kirkland balls that I had. First one last two holes the second hole I had use my 58 wedge as before and cut it.

I retired that.

2 down, one left in the sleeve. It ended up lasting me the rest of the round with no cuts, a visible scuff, but that was it. Really makes me think that there’s issues within batches.

That being said. Driver distance was fine. Irons distance was fine. Neither ballooned on me. Wedge spin was great - when it didn’t cut. Feel was phenomenal. Definitely soft feeling imo. Putter, no complaints. If it weren’t for the cuts, I might even say I like these better than the og Ksig.

So now, do I roll the dice with the rest? Lol. 2/3 cutting means 4 out of the dozen are good. That makes it $4.38 (rounded up) a ball lol!