2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

You Can Only Keep 5 Putters....

mn723

Ok fellow putter collectors, I'm starting this thread to learn more about what & which you all like the most about your putter collection. I currently have about a dozen putters in my collection, but probably have had 30+ through the years. I often wonder that if someone (wife) told me I could only keep a few, which ones would they be. If you'd like, please list the 5 putters from your collection that you'd keep and give a brief explanation why. Please rank them in order, with #1 being the one you'd keep if you could only keep one putter & so on. I'll start:

1. Bettinardi BB25: I've had this on for 5+ years and it has seen the most time in my bag. Classic shape and I've made the most clutch putts with it.

2. Bettinardi Studio Stock #4: I've had this one for 5+ years and love the feel. If my stroke is "on" this putter is great. Plus, I love the look of it and I feel like a "player" when using it.

3. Odyssey Protype Black 2-Ball: I've had this one for 4 years and it is somewhat unique. The 2-Ball alignment aid is a modern classic and I love this Odyssey milled feel over their inserts.

4. Cameron Fastback 1.5: I bought this one 5+ years ago, traded it last year, and recently got it back. I like the smallish mid-mallet look and this one feels solid. Sometimes it feels a little heavy though and gets away from me on fast greens.

5. TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs +: I bought this one last summer when I saw that TM used a milled insert and got excited as I didn't like the plastic inserts they had been using. The counter balance steadies my stroke when it's off or I've had too much to drink. Also, I've found this to be a good "crutch" when playing in cold/windy weather and I'm wearing a few layers of clothing.. It's an ugly one, but effective for what it is.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone bumped this thread and I edited to clean up the broken photo links and update my list:

1. Ping JAS W Ti Anser - I have one with the spec sticker still on the sole. The first putter I really wanted when I first started playing but couldn’t afford. 

2. Titleist Futura - Lots of good casual and tournament rounds with this thing. 

3. Titleist Studio Stainless Mid Sur - same reasoning as the Futura.

4. Ping G2 Pal - my first putter.

5. LAB DF3 - current gamer and love it. 

Edited by SetTheBarrHigh

Unfortunately, I've had to sell most of my collection for various reasons (Mainly because I don't have enough disposable income to not see the value in selling something that's worth $400 that I don't use anymore). But, out of all of them, if I could've kept them, ontop of what I do have now..

Disclaimer: I'm a lefty, so some of these items are rare for me, but probably aren't for the rest of you.

1: Scotty TEi 3. I loooved that putter, but it was just a bit too light, and it was pristine. I generally play in the early mornings, and it's just a disaster to keep dry and clean at all times. If it were already a little oxidized, etc. then I would've been fine with it, but since it looked brand new, I just couldn't bring myself to let it look any other way.

2: Scotty Studio design NO. 1: This was purely a start to a collection. I didn't roll it well, but it was in great shape, and it's a beautiful putter. Again, it was in mint condition, and I couldn't bring myself to game, or let it sit.

3: My current gamer: Circa 62 no.2. This putter just clicked with me automatically. My first round out with it, I made everything. It's the first putter I've had in a while that's sub 350g head weight, and I really enjoy it on faster greens. Slower greens is a little different story. I find I putt a heavier putter better on slower greens, but with some practice, I think I'll get better.

4: Still have: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie putter. I bought it for $40, and I've made more putts with it than any putter I've ever owned. It's just been perfect for me. I want to game my Circa so bad, but it has some big shoes to fill. If I'm having putting woe's, I always come back to this one. Kinda funny, I believe it's original price was the same as all my other, more expensive putters, and it just has zero retail value. Which is good because then I'll never sell it.

5: Piretti Bosa: I've come to the conclusion this summer that I putt better with a slightly longer putter, and the two of these that I've owned were 33" and 34". I think at 35" this one could be a winner for me. I don't like putting with a mallet, but it fits me. This was one of those ones that I did and didn't want to love, but I do, and I'm sure a 3rd will come back.

Well my two are lefty. Presumably yours are righty. We just need to get a Bullseye that swings both ways and we'll have a fine collection.

I never think of myself are superstitious but I'm getting a little bit that way with putters. My two putters are nearly identical except one has a aiming line and is a bit beat-up and the other doesn't and isn't. I normally use the one without the line but the other day I pulled out the one from the closet for a change of pace.

On the way out the door to play golf I panicked and went back and got my favorite one. Just couldn't do it.

I had 25+ putters. At one point 18 at the same time. If I had to make a slight resume of the keepers and the popular goners:

The ones I didn't care:

- 2Ball White Ice, tought me I need the MOI far from center

- Ping Anser 1959. I never got a good relationship with a flat non milled face

The ones I care but had to go:

- Byron DH89, I felt it was too beautiful to play it. So I didn't want to have $500 sitting to never play it. Plus, the Kingstons gave me better feeling.

- Odyssey #7 Metal X. Still miss it, gave it to my boss who started playing the game

- Flanigan 343. Is the most underrated putter I ever had. I gave it to my father in law just because I prefer an Anser instead of an Anser 2 shape. But it is an amazing putter and I encourage anyone to buy one.

The ones that were good but had to go because didn't fit me as good:

- Scotty Golo 3

- Odyssey #8

- Odyssey PT82

The keepers:

- Kingston KP1, amazingly soft putter. I decided to murder it at BOS Golf, and I play it even if there is morning dew.

- Kingston KP1, the backup

- Kingston GSS KP1, for rainy days

- Kingston KP2, that I have been keeping for my daughter

- Scotty Pro Platinum 33/350, murdered out by BOS Golf

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great thread idea.

1. Ping Scottsdale Anser Remake (The go to blade. I will always own this putter)

2. SC Circa 62 No. 1 (My favorite SC putter ever made. It does it all for me—shape, looks and performance)

3. Odyssey Metal X 7 (my go to mallet)

4. Ping Scottsdale BeNi (may never play it again, just love it)

5. Taylormade Nubbins B5s (first putter I ever purchased with my own money, 8th grade)

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I had at one point roughly 50 putters and went immediately to ho rehab. Coincidentally, I only kept 5:

Ping WRX Manganese Bronze Anser

Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2

Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H

Ping Redwood Anser with bead blast finish by Kevin Colbert

Ping Redwood ZB about to be sent to BOS for customization

I've owned several other brands including boutique, but have always rolled best with Ping. I am highly tempted to get a custom #9 style made by Byron.

Callaway Rogue 10.5*

TaylorMade 300 Mini 13.5*

Callaway Rogue 17*
Ping G400 4-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 60* Eye 2
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I like this game!

1 - my Lajosi gamer. Great head shape, full face damascus insert, and stamped with "Andi's Dad" on the bumpers. Its the first putter that's made it a full season and I expect it's going to stay around for a long, long time before it gets hung on the wall.

2 - A cut down 24 inch Ping anser 2 that was my daughter's first putter. It's getting hung next to the Lajosi someday.

3 - A truly horrific Blue Jays novelty mallet putter my wife bought me for an anniversary. First golf-related gift she ever gave me, and even though it's never seen the course (and never will..it''s awful to putt with) I'll keep it forever.

The rest? They're just putters. I've owned a lot of them, some looked cool, others were fun to putt with, but they didn't "mean" anything to me. In the end if I only get to keep a few, I'm going with the important ones.

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

The collectables I would keep:

1. Wilson 8802 in excellent condition.

2. Early Ping Anser in excellent condition.

3. A custom made putter from a club maker in Seattle 30 years ago called Sal-ution.

Only two left, they would be gamers:

4. Wilson T.P.A. V. This club just lag putts better than any putter I've used.

5. Odyssey Rossie Metal X. Don't love this club, but it putts pretty well and is in the bag of late.

Clubs I'd be so sad to get rid of:

-a dozen other Pings, the Zing and Pal are right up there.

-a couple other Odysseys.

-a bunch of other misc things from Scotty Cameron to Maxfli that were great putters that never fit my eye.

I'm glad this is not a real thing, whittling the collection down to 5 would be hard!

I have the head from my BeCu Anser 5 that broke at the very top of the hosel and my Low Tide with my kiddo initials.

Low tide won't go anywhere and the Anser 5 is a nice paperweight.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

1. Ping Anser Dalehead - OG of putters hands down.

2. Odyssey 2 ball - History doesn't lie.

3. Scotty Cameron tei3 - I knew what this putter was before I owned my first set of clubs.

4. Ping Becu Anser 2 - I could game one the rest of my life and be content.

5. Wilson 8802 - If I see one in someone's bag, I know they have game.

It is so hard to list only 5 putters ...... give me these 5 putters on rotation when something goes cold and a scratch handicap and I would live a happy life.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

Wow. I purposely waited to read any other responses after reading the OP's and am pleasantly surprised to see a lot of great and similar putters. The originals will always rise to the top over the latest and greatest fads.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

Love this thread. Can see a few patterns emerging (which I'm reflecting a little too):

1) Ping Anser 5+ becu - not quite my first putter, but the first I spent (what was at the time) serious money on Played it for many, many years, and it still makes some guest appearances.

2) Wilson 8802 - went through a Crenshaw/blade phase years ago. Always feel it requires a super-confident, smooth stroke, so it never comes out these days, but it stays for sentimental reasons.

3) Ping Jim Wells Stainless Steel Tour Issue Scottsdale Anser - for obvious reasons.

4) Ping Wack-e IN - my go-to mallet if I need to step away from the Anser style and change things. A confidence builder and, I reckon, an under-rated design too.

5) Ping Redwood Anser (custom grey finish, black graphite shaft) - OK, so that's 3 Ansers.... This one's heavier than the other two and has the advantage of the milled face too.

Just missed off this list - Ping JAS WTi Anser; Ping Scottsdale Model IV; Ping Ketsch.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

Wow... let's see...

1) Kingston KP1 - Current gamer and just an overall great looking and feeling putter. Just sets up so right to my eye.

2) SC Button Back Newport - It's one that I have played on and off for about 8 years but sometimes the offset is too much for me. Still, it is a stick that has made many putts over the years.

3) Tour Issue Bobby Grace Anser-style MgBr - It's so different looking from most Anser-style putters while still looking good. The ball feels good off the face too.

4) White Hot Pro 5 - about as beat up as a putter can get while still being usable but makes putts for me. It's old faithful.

5) Odyssey Protype 5 - It was customized to have a Versa stripe and flat black shaft. The Protypes feel so pure and the weight of this one just works for me.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

OP, much like you, I have like 11 or 12 putters in the current stable, but gone through 30+ over the years. My list of 5 that I simply must keep -

1. My current gamer, Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited. I just love this putter.

2. Ping Scottsdale Anser BeCu. I've had this putter for over 20 years, and it still gets in the bag once in a while. Bought it new at an Edwin Watts in Orlando while on my honeymoon in 1996. It's lasted a whoooole lot longer than that wife :-)

3. Cameron TeI3 Newport. It is in fantastic condition. Doesn't get to the course very much, but I do enjoy looking at it.

4. Hoganardi Baby Ben. I've had so many unbelievable putting rounds over the years with this one.

5. hmmmmm, I don't know. I think all the others are somewhat expendable.

Having said that, there's a few throughout the years that I sure wish I hadn't sold-

Cameron Studio Design #5

Cameron Futura - that thing was automatic inside 4 feet. Outside 4 feet though, not so much

Ping B60 5BZ BeNi

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

Narrowing down to five? Sounds like some BS my wife would say! Fun topic, so here goes

1. Byron Morgan DH89 (1) - Multiple reasons why this will always be my top choice. It was my first custom putter and was made to commemorate my daughters birth. It has hear name stamped in the cavity and her birth date on the bumpers. To make it even better, the deep milled face and sound slot have great feel

2. Scotty Cameron Oil Can 33/350 - This is the best feeling putter that I own. The combination of the solid face (no cavity) and carbon steel are incredible. I love the oil can finish too.

3. Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Masterful - I know everything with a Circle T is ridiculously over priced, but the is something that just rings "cool" with it and if I'm collecting something cool factor matters. I also love the masterful head shape.

4. Ping BeNi Anser Scottsdale - I almost sold this recently, but realized that if I'm going to have a collection of Anser styled putters, there has to be a tribute to the original. This putter is mint and is a permanent fixture with me.

5. Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 - This putter is my enigma. I hate looking at (it's beat to hell), I hate the feel of it (can't stand inserts) and I hate holding it (old cracked Ping cord grip vs. Superstroke 2.0 on every other putter I own). For some reason this thing just rolls the rock for me. If I'm struggling, this is the putter I grab and it seems to get me back on track. It's also great to take out if I'm playing in the rain since I'm not worried about banging it up.

There could be some movement to the list soon as I have another DH89 being built by Byron right now and a Scotty 350g Mil Spec that is about to be sent to the Custom Shop.

Another LH here...

1. Ping BeCu Scottsdale Anser: It's BeCu AND a Scottsdale. What more could you want?

2. Ping Redwood D66 (black): Probably the putter I putt the best with.

3. Ping Redwood Anser: The most valuable and sought after of my 3 Redwoods, yet 3rd string. Still not selling it, though.

4. Ping BeCu Anser 4: A little lighter than the Scottsdale. Still, a classic and not going anywhere.

5. Never Compromise Dinero: A tough choice. But this one edges out the others because it's unique and quirky. In my son's bag right now.

C&L custome anser- polished black oxide, no sight line/dot, my first truly custom putter

bettinardi studio stock #7, the original half moon mallet, iridescent rainbow finsih, longtime gamer rotation

carbon ringo 1/4- latest gamer, really heavy at 370 gr. great on fast greens.

taylor made spider CB 38" counterbalance putter, great for reseting the stroke.

rife abaco- odyssey #9 style. great roll, always loved putting with it.

didn't make it

original ping anser

odyssey wh #7

I try to keep only 3 in rotation, but I was able to pair it down to just 5:

#1 Wilson 8802 (first new putter I purchased)

#2 SC Big Sur 46"(I still use it)

#3 Black Lab BL-1 custom

#4 SC X7M

#5 SC 2.5(2016-custom)

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

1. Bettinardi SS9 -- Love the wide blade with a high toe and its the most expensive putter in my collection

2. Odyssey Works #7 -- It rolls the ball so well and I ordered it with a black shaft.

3. Ping Redwood Anser -- It has my name on it.

4. Scotty Circa #6 -- I love the way it sets up.

5. Hoganardi Baby Ben -- Great feel.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

There are two that are never going anywhere.

Both purchased while I was in high school in 1980. 8802 that I find very difficult to putt with today and an Anser that I still use on occasion.

Considering I've played hundreds of rounds with them and never used a cover or babied them, they are in great shape.

I own another 6 putters but none of them have any sentimental value to me.

1. Cure Rx2. Ugly as sin, but I putt incredibly well with it, and it is staying.

2. Backup Rx2, this one is red.

3. Bettinardi SS16 which I won from GolfWRX. Still have not used it, but I am about to get a new grip put on and take it out on its virgin voyage.

4. SeeMore Z2. Just love this putter, I use it for travel rounds.

5. SeeMore Giant. Made 6 birdies in one round, shot my PB with it.

Others that are on the cusp - Kronos Mandela, Ping Zing2. I have a SC Squareback on the way, and I got rid of a SC GoLo 5s and a Never Compromise Conisseur.

Well if we're talking collectibles, my 1950's vintage set of Macgregor blades and persimmons has a "10 iron" in it that is a heel-shafted putter. The darned thing has the same shaft in it as the irons (130+ gram True Tempers) and a skinny little round leather grip. About 36" long, flattish lie angle and tons of loft (maybe six or seven degrees I'd say?). I could not make a straight 5-footer with that thing if you gave me three tries for a million bucks.

Cool to have hanging on the wall but I don't count it if someone asks "how many putters do you own".