2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

I'll preface this by saying I've liked and used Callaway drivers in the past starting with the first FT-2 and I haven't hit the Epic's so have no idea how they perform other than the enthusiastic comments here so far. One thing I have noted as of the past few years with Callaway drivers however regarding the face size is that they always seem to be on the smaller side when compared to others. When I look at them I can't help but think that they don't really instill confidence and that if you miss toe side (common miss for the common man) these might not be the right choice. Has anyone else felt this way?

Granted, I have only hit it for my one-hour during my fitting and one round at Torrey, but I didn't find it penal off the toe. That is my miss as well. That miss while playing the SLDR single-handlely made me take driver out of the bag for a calendar year. The one that just dives left at 2/3 the distance with no spin; I've been there. That is why I went to the G30, I found it very forgiving off the toe. I saw the same characteristics with the Callaway's New 2017 Driver.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new toys to try

What's new about the 3 wood? The 816 fairway has gained almost cult like status. Will be interesting to hear how they think they improved it.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

great info, thanks

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I'll preface this by saying I've liked and used Callaway drivers in the past starting with the first FT-2 and I haven't hit the Epic's so have no idea how they perform other than the enthusiastic comments here so far. One thing I have noted as of the past few years with Callaway drivers however regarding the face size is that they always seem to be on the smaller side when compared to others. When I look at them I can't help but think that they don't really instill confidence and that if you miss toe side (common miss for the common man) these might not be the right choice. Has anyone else felt this way?

I had the RFX, 815DBD, and 816 DBD. My miss is high toe and Callaway drivers have always worked better for me than anything else with regard to retaining ball speed on misses. I feel like the face shape creates more toe area and a smaller heel, especially on the last GBB.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

new toys to try

So no jailbreak on the 3 wood?

No jailbreak in the 3 wood

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I had the RFX, 815DBD, and 816 DBD. My miss is high toe and Callaway drivers have always worked better for me than anything else with regard to retaining ball speed on misses. I feel like the face shape creates more toe area and a smaller heel, especially on the last GBB.

same for me, and the x16 really helped

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s

100% agree. Played both DBD's and found the toe misses a little high on the face was the sweet spot. Maybe it had something to do with where I had the cores.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

100% agree. Played both DBD's and found the toe misses a little high on the face was the sweet spot. Maybe it had something to do with where I had the cores.

Similar here. Found the 816 DBD to be great on high toe hits, but pretty bad on the low heel side. Hopefully the new driver is just as good on high toe, but better on the low heel miss.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Similar here. Found the 816 DBD to be great on high toe hits, but pretty bad on the low heel side. Hopefully the new driver is just as good on high toe, but better on the low heel miss.

FWIW, my driver misses trend toward low and heel side. Done a decent amount of on-course testing with both models of the new driver, and when I missed them both low/heel I consistently found the ball further up the fairway than I expected to (sometimes MUCH further). That's using the same shaft I've been using in my XR16 Pro, which I was well fit for.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I can't find one locally anywhere, but I have a question.

Why hasn't anyone that has seen and/or hit this thing taken a picture of the crown? Surely someone could grab a quick shot or two with their phone!!!

Most of the people seeing these heads are account owners with a shop so they aren't posting out of respect for their rep's job and their shops account.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I can't find one locally anywhere, but I have a question.

Why hasn't anyone that has seen and/or hit this thing taken a picture of the crown? Surely someone could grab a quick shot or two with their phone!!!

Out of respect for Callaway and I love my job..

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Most of the people seeing these heads are account owners with a shop so they aren't posting out of respect for their rep's job and their shops account.

That makes perfect sense and I really wouldn't want those folks to do anything out of kilter. I'm just surprised some random hacker like myself hasn't done it.

Out of respect for Callaway and I love my job..

Fair enough.

I think it's cool that those of us that have had a chance to spend some time with it have been respectful of this. I'm not in the biz but would never jeopardize my source's rep.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I can't wait until the entire line is revealed! The driver is getting the most attention and deservedly so however I want to hear more about the fairway woods and hybrids.

No epic hybrids.

Might be just me but doesn't Callaway tend to release hybrids in coordination with their irons and not their woods? Apex, XR OS, Big Bertha OS, and Steelhead XR are the current hybrid models. They don't have a Big Bertha Fusion or XR 16 hybrid out currently.

2 nights and 2 near misses to hit it

Last night I'm at Top Golf, and see a group of serious looking golfers a few bays down. Don't think much of it.

Took a lesson today and after he shuts everything down, I see the headcover on the floor. I ask the pro about it, and he tells me Callaway had a launch event for their pros and fitters the night before at Top Golf and he had the SZ.

Much better looking club in person. The pro plays a Great Big Bertha, and he told me he didn't measure, see, or feel much difference in limited testing today.

Any word on what lofts will be offered in the epic driver and fairway lines?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Much better looking club in person. The pro plays a Great Big Bertha, and he told me he didn't measure, see, or feel much difference in limited testing today.

Any word on what lofts will be offered in the epic driver and fairway lines?

The Pro must be in the minority that isn't seeing any benefit from the club.

I believe the lofts for the Epic lines are going to be the same as the models they are replacing.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I know the release date is 1/27, but when are the pre-orders slated to begin??? I have Christmas money that'll be burning a hole in my pocket!

I've got confirmation of my preorder for the 10.5 GBB and 15* with Hzrdus Yellow 6.0, 75's.

How's that possible since there is no news of the pre-order date, or was there? Oh DD....

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I can only speak of what the crown looks like on the standard Epic. It has the raised V shaped alignment with black crown that transitions into the carbon fiber in the rear of the head. It is a smooth transition rather than an abrupt one like the M family drivers from Taylormade. I was told that the Sub Zero version will also have the alignment V on the crown which I was surprised to hear because I prefer a blank crown, but that is what my rep told me. Maybe someone can speak to that who has seen the Sub Zero. The standard version felt very smooth and "hot." It felt like most Callaway drivers do to me and come late January, I will be doing a driver face-off of sorts at my local golf shop to see if I can find a new one that outperforms my current Alpha.

how much to pre order

I agree, I will be glad when they announce and post all of the shaft options. I am not opposed to an upcharge if the right shaft is available, just want to know my options so I can order my shaft separately if necessary. I also really just want to get my order in and be done with it. I played a Tmag driver for the first time this year and had the worst driving accuracy of my life... or since phone apps made it easy to track fairway hit %.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3