2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say I really want the new Callaway Epic driver after reading all of this. I have the 3 and 5 wood in the XR 16 and the face is amazingly hot.

I've learned my lesson when I go to get for a driver though (everyone has a different swing). I spin the ball WAY too much (step swing) and need something to keep the RPM's down.

I'll try to keep an open mind with testing...Its between The Epic and the new M1 for me! I'll have to wait until 01/20!

I have been told that you should really demo/try both before deciding which one is for you. You maybe surprised with the results, as to which one is a better fit for you.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I'll preface this by saying I've liked and used Callaway drivers in the past starting with the first FT-2 and I haven't hit the Epic's so have no idea how they perform other than the enthusiastic comments here so far. One thing I have noted as of the past few years with Callaway drivers however regarding the face size is that they always seem to be on the smaller side when compared to others. When I look at them I can't help but think that they don't really instill confidence and that if you miss toe side (common miss for the common man) these might not be the right choice. Has anyone else felt this way?

I don't really understand this? In reading your comment, you must look down at a 3-wood and be absolutely terrified? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, but how could the face size of a driver degrade your confidence when it's the biggest club in your bag?

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I have been told that you should really demo/try both before deciding which one is for you. You maybe surprised with the results, as to which one is a better fit for you.

This is absolutely true. I tried both and got the best numbers with the standard version, but thought I would hit the low spin version the best.....I was wrong.

I think some folks misunderstand the low spin version and think its some magical driver. I think its really designed for those who have a negative AoA and put excessive spin on the ball as a result.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

This is absolutely true. I tried both and got the best numbers with the standard version, but thought I would hit the low spin version the best.....I was wrong.

I think some folks misunderstand the low spin version and think its some magical driver. I think its really designed for those who have a negative AoA and put excessive spin on the ball as a result.

If you wanted the SZ they would have had to put us in a steel cage with the head hanging high above it and a ladder, WWE style

(for those at home Callaway had i believe 2 lefty heads, one a regular and one an SZ, and there were 2 lefties. Let's just say that me and Rod were fit into different heads was.....convenient)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

That is a good point. I expect to end up in the SZ with the heavy weight back if these follow tradition and the SZ is more compact with a deeper face at address. If not and they have the same profile and face depth then it's going to be like Thunderdome.

Can you guys comment on if there is a difference in profile and face depth between the standard and low spin versions? I believe this is Callaway approved vernacular.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

That is a good point. I expect to end up in the SZ with the heavy weight back if these follow tradition and the SZ is more compact with a deeper face at address. If not and they have the same profile and face depth then it's going to be like Thunderdome.

Can you guys comment on if there is a difference in profile and face depth between the standard and low spin versions? I believe this is Callaway approved vernacular.

I only hit a few balls with the low spin version, but if memory serves they look very similar if not the same.

PXG Bat Attack H

I'll preface this by saying I've liked and used Callaway drivers in the past starting with the first FT-2 and I haven't hit the Epic's so have no idea how they perform other than the enthusiastic comments here so far. One thing I have noted as of the past few years with Callaway drivers however regarding the face size is that they always seem to be on the smaller side when compared to others. When I look at them I can't help but think that they don't really instill confidence and that if you miss toe side (common miss for the common man) these might not be the right choice. Has anyone else felt this way?

I don't really understand this? In reading your comment, you must look down at a 3-wood and be absolutely terrified? I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, but how could the face size of a driver degrade your confidence when it's the biggest club in your bag?

Simple answers! Yes I am... 3 woods scare the crap out of me except off the tee and even then I don't have great confidence with them.

As far as the Driver though, It is the largest club in the bag and it has the longest shaft too which also makes it the hardest club in the bag to hit consistently for me. (maybe for most players?)

Add to that my knowing that I get really streaky with my driver (some days it's spot on all day and I can't miss other days I can count the fairways hit on one hand) so I want as much confidence when I tee it up as I can muster. Might be psychological but bigger face = more confidence for me. I'd also guess I am not the only one who plays golf that feels this way.

Kind of silly for Callaway to not release the pics already, it does nothing to help sales/build hype IMO. Especially after the WRX trip, I would have thought for sure the pics would be released then. Maybe someone can explain what this does to hype up the club. Seems stupid and pointless to me

Agreed. Crazy when you're not even allowed to mention the driver name when everyone knows about it. A little excessive IMO but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I've played with these.

The crown (not sure if it's been posted and I'm not looking through 71 pages) is black with carbon fading into the face. Bottom pictures have been posted so I'm sure you all know what that looks like.

Yeah I'm not certain why Callaway hasn't released photos, the pro at my course got a hold of a set and they feel great. I won't be replacing the M2 with them however I can definitely see what the hype is about.

Kind of silly for Callaway to not release the pics already, it does nothing to help sales/build hype IMO. Especially after the WRX trip, I would have thought for sure the pics would be released then. Maybe someone can explain what this does to hype up the club. Seems stupid and pointless to me

Agreed. Crazy when you're not even allowed to mention the driver name when everyone knows about it. A little excessive IMO but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

So the way they explained it to us is that everyone knows what the driver is called and they've already let major publications see the driver and asked them to hold off on naming it until their embargo date so they can control the release. The same had to apply for us on the trip. We can't come back here and blab about driver XXX by name but all the major publications can't.

You know the name, I know the name, we all know the name but what the public doesn't really know yet is how the technology truly works which is part of the embargo. Callaway has some stuff up their sleeve and they want it all to be on their terms.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

That is so stupid. Taylormade made no bones about the 2017 M1 and M2 and they didn't fire anyone for the pictures except p*ss off crossfield which was too funny & Taylormade is a MASTER of marketing.

Sssssh. I look at all these "signatures of the 8" - Callaway 2017 LS driver etc etc...gee whiz.

You can do better Callaway.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

That is so stupid. Taylormade made no bones about the 2017 M1 and M2 and they didn't fire anyone for the pictures except p*ss off crossfield which was too funny & Taylormade is a MASTER of marketing.

Sssssh. I look at all these "signatures of the 8" - Callaway 2017 LS driver etc etc...gee whiz.

Sounds like jealousy talking.....

Every company has a different strategy. Just because you don't agree with Callaway's strategy doesn't make it wrong. We'll see how well TM does with their 2017 models. It appears there is no discernible difference between them and the 2016 models other than some minor aesthetic changes (which should boost sales, right?).

If you don't like Callaway, then don't buy it; no one has a gun to your head.

PXG Bat Attack H

For those of you who are frustrated by this i understand. But i can confirm for you that sources have told me the name of the driver is indeed in the title of this thread.

My money is on "Callaway Night" or "Callaway Saw"

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Not jealous, just pointing out the absurdity of the signatures and the "no name". In contrast you can see the reviews of the 2017 M1 and M2, even place an order at some places and over here, you cannot even name "Epic"

"Epic". Thats not jealousy my friend, thats absurdity and any normal day you would have called it that. But not today.

ps I have no hate or dislike any OEM, I use whatever I can get my hands on regardless of brand that works for me. Epic is exciting and I plan to get it along with the 2017 M1 as well.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Not jealous, just pointing out the absurdity of the signatures and the "no name". In contrast you can see the reviews of the 2017 M1 and M2, even place an order at some places and over here, you cannot even name "Epic"

"Epic". Thats not jealousy my friend, thats absurdity and any normal day you would have called it that. But not today.

I've seen them.....not impressed. As I said, no discernible difference in the 2016 and 2017 other than aesthetics.

The eight of us had to sign NDAs when we arrived in Carlsbad. Was I supposed to say "oh, so I can't mention the name of the driver until January? Hmmmm.....scratches head......let me think about it........hmmmmmm........I'll go ahead and leave now because this is absurd". "Thanks for the offer of a professional fitting and free clubs, this is just absurd......farewell"......... :cheesy:

If you like the M1/M2 then buy one, its your money.

PXG Bat Attack H

By the sound of the reviews from the 8s and others, they are doing better.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I'll add another thing...

Why does it matter? We all know the names and some of us know what they look like.

It comes out 1/27 the only important thing that matters now, imo

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

By the sound of the reviews from the 8s and others, they are doing better.

I think Callaway has come along way over the past five years, and I think TaylorMade is hearing their footsteps.

For full disclosure....I've been playing Callaway for the past 5 or 6 years in one form or another. The 2017 driver is the best I've seen from Callaway.

PXG Bat Attack H

Obviously it's kind of silly, on Facebook my home club pro asked me if i hit the [insert name] while i was in SD (my friends new what i was doing obviously). And i was like "yeah but i don't know the name dude" ....and he was like "It's [insert name], that's what it is"....And i was like, oh OK cool if you say so! i don't know anything about that!

When we were there they acknowledged many people knew the name. Didn't tell us why they wouldn't allow us to use

Maybe it's because many out there (casual golfers) don't know about this club yet and they have some calculated release for it. Or maybe this is just part of a corporate strategy to control the message

Who knows, kind of silly i guess. But it doesn't change anything about the club or mislead anyone about anything.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I can't find one locally anywhere, but I have a question.

Why hasn't anyone that has seen and/or hit this thing taken a picture of the crown? Surely someone could grab a quick shot or two with their phone!!!

I was at my club the other night as the Callaway reps were having a little "get together" with our pros. Was able to compare the SZ and the regular model. I didn't want to impose by asking to take pics as they were being treated to food/drinks/testing the driver on our indoor simulator ++ I don't want to put them in any awkward situation with their Callaway account.

That being said, I'm hitting these bad boys on Saturday morning in the sim with their Callaway rep. PLEASE don't tell my wife OR my Fusion driver (which I absolutely love and will take a near miraculous showing from the Epic to kick out of my bag any time soon). Black crown with the same fadeout to composite graphics that are on the Fusion. The outside toe area is green with the Callaway logo. The soles are completely different from one another. The regular Epic still has the arcing weight ring like the GBB. The SZ did not. Sorry. Had a couple of drinks and wasn't taking notes.

**am also going to roll the Toulon San Diego putter that is in our shop as I'm curious to see how it looks and feels.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

I've seen them.....not impressed. As I said, no discernible difference in the 2016 and 2017 other than aesthetics.

The eight of us had to sign NDAs when we arrived in Carlsbad. Was I supposed to say "oh, so I can't mention the name of the driver until January? Hmmmm.....scratches head......let me think about it........hmmmmmm........I'll go ahead and leave now because this is absurd". "Thanks for the offer of a professional fitting and free clubs, this is just absurd......farewell"......... :cheesy:

If you like the M1/M2 then buy one, its your money.

Not questioning why you guys can't name them, that makes perfect sense with a NDA in place. Questioning Callaway's strategy to be so secretive when it's impossible to keep secrets in this day and age. Btw lots of non WRX golfers have heard about it already. No point in arguing about it as it is what it is. I think it's ridiculous and that's just my opinion. Not biased to any company either. I can't wait to try one but the marketing strategy is kind of a turn off. To be honest, if the M1 was released right now I'd probably buy it just because of all the info that's out. Although I'm a ho so the Cally would end up in my bag at some point. Lol

So when is the unveiling and release date? I haven't been able to keep up with all the pages on Callaway recently.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

What's the top selling months for Drivers for you shop owners? Does it correlate to the release date, the weather, or after the talk about it, etc...?

First month of the season, last month of the season, and whatever month it came out

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole