Rory Mcilroy to sign with Callaway in 2017

lovedoctor

After a lengthy discussion with a reliable source I was informed that Rory Mcilroy will sign with Callaway Golf this season. This should not be a surprise as the only thing not Callaway in his bag are his wedges and golf ball which are Titliest. My source advise that Mcilroy had a great interest in Taylormade but they could not agree on contract terms. I was curious why Mcilroy had not signed to Callaway and I was advised that Mcilroy wanted 10 Million dollars a year for 5 years. Callaway and Mcilroy's agency could not agree on terms and the agreement is that Mcilroy will play the equipment and they will go back to the table after a few tournaments. I think Callaway should agree with the terms now because if Mcilroy wins the Masters or any majors unsigned his stock is going to get higher and he will ask for more money when they go back to negotiate.

This doesn't need to be said, but this is simply not true. Rory will not be signing a deal in 2017.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats funny, my source who is like the worlds awesomest source and has predicted things like Trump victory and Patriots comeback says hes gonna sign with Wilson. My other one who just guesses all the time and is as reliable as a Chrysler says hes gonna sign with Maltby.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

After a lengthy discussion with a reliable source I was informed that Rory Mcilroy will sign with Callaway Golf this season. This should not be a surprise as the only thing not Callaway in his bag are his wedges and golf ball which are Titliest. My source advise that Mcilroy had a great interest in Taylormade but they could not agree on contract terms. I was curious why Mcilroy had not signed to Callaway and I was advised that Mcilroy wanted 10 Million dollars a year for 5 years. Callaway and Mcilroy's agency could not agree on terms and the agreement is that Mcilroy will play the equipment and they will go back to the table after a few tournaments. I think Callaway should agree with the terms now because if Mcilroy wins the Masters or any majors unsigned his stock is going to get higher and he will ask for more money when they go back to negotiate.

This doesn't need to be said, but this is simply not true. Rory will not be signing a deal in 2017.

I'm really happy to see No Laying Up frequenting GolfWRX more. If anyone has listened to their podcasts, especially the one with Rory, you can see they have a great relationship with Tour pros. Rory (and Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas, and Charles Howell III) were more candid than any other piece I've seen/heard. It is not surprising that Rory trusted NLU with this information rather than it breaking through other outlets. In my mind, Soly has more credibility than many, if not all, "journalists" in the business.

I guess I should have added anonymous "sources."

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Or if he doesn't make the cut callaway should sigh him for half or less. Yes ? It's w good pickup for callaway. But I think callaway is a good pickup for Rory. Much better than being part of the faMily. Just my opinion.

Notice your Avatar...those Miura, Now that's a Nice looking Iron too...are they Now available or is this just a Pic?

You can still buy them. Miura small blade. And that pic is my gap wedge.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My source is well connected and he is not blowing smoke. Mcilroy is all business and he is playing the cards. Callaway is playing poker here and if Mcilroy gets the better hand by winning early a few times they will pay.

They are both playing poker no ? If he doesn't win he won't command the price he's asking from anyone. I have no doubts he will sigh with callaway. But the question is what price ? I bet it isn't 10 mil. His attention span isn't long enough to put the focus into it needed to have a full year of winning. He wins a few , takes 6 months off , then later comes back and wins some more. Always hot or cold.if they aren't willing to pay it now after winning the Fedex what makes anyone think they will after another win ? And as of now he's giving them free club ad space. That's better than paid space !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Whatever he signs needs to be bigger than the existing Nike deal, no? Because otherwise he's netting the same amount of money.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Of the next 100 responses who will buy a callaway product based only on Rory . I'll start NO

This a joke right? The people buying the bulk of the equipment aren't here on GolfWRX. We're such a minuscule percentage of the market it's a joke. When I go into Golf Town these days there's always guys in the sim, wailing away at the Epic like they're trying to kill a snake that has the plague, hitting shafts they have NO business hitting. That market still exists and I'd bet that it's the bread and butter of annual sales for most major OEM's. Those golfers are not a stereotype, they're real and it's sad. But I have to believe those guys saw it on TV, read the marketing garbage and went to the golf store to buy a game.

Here, we scrutinize equipment, bring the flaws to light, pour over LM numbers, debate the merits of what each new club promises - we actually put thought into equipment and generally don't get as influenced by who's playing what as the bread and butter public do. But make no mistake, the marketing is important to the OEM's. You think people bought the early Nike irons because they actually thought they were good clubs? HA, HA and HA sir...that's laughable. Rory would bolster sales for Callaway, make no mistake.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

My source is well connected and he is not blowing smoke. Mcilroy is all business and he is playing the cards. Callaway is playing poker here and if Mcilroy gets the better hand by winning early a few times they will pay.

They are both playing poker no ? If he doesn't win he won't command the price he's asking from anyone. I have no doubts he will sigh with callaway. But the question is what price ? I bet it isn't 10 mil. His attention span isn't long enough to put the focus into it needed to have a full year of winning. He wins a few , takes 6 months off , then later comes back and wins some more. Always hot or cold.if they aren't willing to pay it now after winning the Fedex what makes anyone think they will after another win ? And as of now he's giving them free club ad space. That's better than paid space !

If they are comfortable with Phil, running hot/cold won't be an issue.....

Also, possible there are terms in the nike contract that are sticking points. Callaway would of course be flexible for arguably the most talented (whether or not he's the best the talent is there) player in the game. But if they are flexible to accept terms they don't like, that may come with the caveat of $ less than they would pay with favorable terms. Easiest example of course is that Nike prefers its players to have no other branding but Nike on their person. If callaway isn't getting their logo on Rory, he's worth less to them. Still worth a lot, just less than otherwise.

When Mcilroy signs with Callaway, what will be your rebuttal? " I cannot believe this happened, who is the lovedoctor source? Stay tuned

When McIlroy signs with Callaway, he'll know before you do as his source will be the horse's mouth.

Read between the lines...

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

This is no knock on Rory because I love the kid, but I'm not sure how any OEM could justify $10m a year. The guy flat-out is NOT going to increase your business. Its been proven time and time again. Tour play is for validation of your product only. You are better off signing 25 mid-level guys for a TOTAL of $10m per year. Also, if you pay him more than Phil do you risk ruffling the feathers there a bit?

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Someone have take over the reigns in the Callaway stable. 10 million is nothing for a high profile players like mcilroy. Phil is aging and will graduate to the champion tour. Mcilroy is worth every penny and it will boost Callaway stable and put great irons in the hand of a young dominating player.

My source told me that he'll be signing a non paying deal with golfwrx. He's going to switch to every new piece of equipment that comes out, claiming they're the best. Rumors are that he'll even have his own account and sell his used equipment and apparel in the classifieds section.

Curious what Rory's average carry distance would translate to on WRX. Would have to be at least 500 yards, 560 if he really goes for it.

Out of anyone here I would take the word of @nolayingup. He knows the man himself.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

Out of anyone here I would take the word of @nolayingup. He knows the man himself.

I wouldn't take anyone's word. It's all speculation... did anyone expect Rory to come out with Taylormade equipment for a tournament, then turn on a dime and have almost a full Callaway bag? No...

The point is, the guy is going to do whatever he wants, regardless of what he's "telling people". If a company is going to pay him enough money, he will sign. Hell, if Mizuno approached him tomorrow and said, "We'll pay you $20M a year for 5 years if you play a full bag of our equipment." He would do it, it's $20,000,000 a year people!

The main goal is to win more tournaments. The more tournaments he wins, the more valuable his stock becomes. Eventually a company and him will come to terms for a lucrative deal and he won't turn it down. It could happen tomorrow, it could happen a year from now. But if Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, Taylormade, PXG, etc. approach him with a dollar-figure that's too high for him to turn down, he's going to take it regardless of what anyone on this site thinks.

I don't understand why a person would get on this site apparently wanting internet credibility so much that they subject their self to the abuse that ensues.

The very most someone could hope for is a few people telling their golf buddies "Some guy on Golfwrx said RM was going to sign with Callaway"

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I'll be shocked if RM ever actually signs. After his Nike deal, his management team are going to expect a price that won't be worth the marketing bump that Callaway would get in return. Short of going on a Tiger-esque run over the next few years (nothing in his current form and health would indicate that is likely), nothing he can do will provide Callaway with good value for their investment in him.

In hindsight, Nike drastically over-paid for him and we now see how that ended for them (mind you I'm not blaming their hard-goods demise entirely on Rory). Don't think that's a cautionary tale that Callaway will look past, unless Rory's management can be convinced to make more reasonable demands.

The big name that I could see them making a play for in a few years is Spieth. He's the perfect heir-apparent to Phil's mantle as the primary brand ambassador due to the combination of his game and the whole "everybody's All-American" persona.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Of the next 100 responses who will buy a callaway product based only on Rory . I'll start NO

This a joke right? The people buying the bulk of the equipment aren't here on GolfWRX. We're such a minuscule percentage of the market it's a joke. When I go into Golf Town these days there's always guys in the sim, wailing away at the Epic like they're trying to kill a snake that has the plague, hitting shafts they have NO business hitting. That market still exists and I'd bet that it's the bread and butter of annual sales for most major OEM's. Those golfers are not a stereotype, they're real and it's sad. But I have to believe those guys saw it on TV, read the marketing garbage and went to the golf store to buy a game.

Here, we scrutinize equipment, bring the flaws to light, pour over LM numbers, debate the merits of what each new club promises - we actually put thought into equipment and generally don't get as influenced by who's playing what as the bread and butter public do. But make no mistake, the marketing is important to the OEM's. You think people bought the early Nike irons because they actually thought they were good clubs? HA, HA and HA sir...that's laughable. Rory would bolster sales for Callaway, make no mistake.

How would you explain the large number of guys making pre-orders of clubs they have never hit? If you go through the Equipment and Pre-Release forums this is not uncommon.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06