2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Goofiest, Most Delusional Golfer Played With

Anybody in this thread that works fitting bays or does demo days knows delusion is not just on the course but also on the range. I wish we were allowed to film some people that come for fittings that swing 75mph or 82mph but insist on trying xstiff shafts. Bless their hearts they mean well but when you ask one what club do you typically hit in summer still calm conditions from 150? Pitching wedge! Or 9 iron! #1 answers always. You put them on trackman they proceed to hit their PW120 and their 9 130. " are you sure that thing is calibrated correctly?" Yes the 20000$ machine is fine. How far do you normally hit your driver? 275-280. Ok lets see your swing . 5 shots later 210 carry average. Im not wearing my golf shoes im in sneakers so i cant really let it go. Ok go get your shoes in the car. Comes back with shoes 5 shots later 212 average carry. "Are you sure thats right? Im the longest in my weekend 4some" hes using a old graffaloy xstiff shaft. I explain davis love used this 10 years ago and he swings the club at 120mph. Well then i have to be at least 100-105 he says. I say no 80. Are you sure thats right? He spent 150$ spending the 1.5 hours asking me are you sure thats right? Or saying that cant be right. Gave him my recommendations and he left fuming upset at me, he said he felt insulted because i recommended reg shaft on his irons slightly tipped and reg shaft on his woods. He looked at the ping fitting chart himself and it validated my advice but was still pissed at me. I said look at your dispersion and ball height even your swing path is better because youre not trying to muscle the ball because of incorrect flex. Hell look at your ball speed. Your smash factor is better. Nope he wouldnt have it. I wished him luck as he told me i dont know what im talking about. I explained that ive done over 2000 fittings and live on this machine but alas he was gone never to be heard from again... i get 3 or 4 of these every fall and every spring

Anybody in this thread that works fitting bays or does demo days knows delusion is not just on the course but also on the range. I wish we were allowed to film some people that come for fittings that swing 75mph or 82mph but insist on trying xstiff shafts. Bless their hearts they mean well but when you ask one what club do you typically hit in summer still calm conditions from 150? Pitching wedge! Or 9 iron! #1 answers always. You put them on trackman they proceed to hit their PW120 and their 9 130. " are you sure that thing is calibrated correctly?" Yes the 20000$ machine is fine. How far do you normally hit your driver? 275-280. Ok lets see your swing . 5 shots later 210 carry average. Im not wearing my golf shoes im in sneakers so i cant really let it go. Ok go get your shoes in the car. Comes back with shoes 5 shots later 212 average carry. "Are you sure thats right? Im the longest in my weekend 4some" hes using a old graffaloy xstiff shaft. I explain davis love used this 10 years ago and he swings the club at 120mph. Well then i have to be at least 100-105 he says. I say no 80. Are you sure thats right? He spent 150$ spending the 1.5 hours asking me are you sure thats right? Or saying that cant be right. Gave him my recommendations and he left fuming upset at me, he said he felt insulted because i recommended reg shaft on his irons slightly tipped and reg shaft on his woods. He looked at the ping fitting chart himself and it validated my advice but was still pissed at me. I said look at your dispersion and ball height even your swing path is better because youre not trying to muscle the ball because of incorrect flex. Hell look at your ball speed. Your smash factor is better. Nope he wouldnt have it. I wished him luck as he told me i dont know what im talking about. I explained that ive done over 2000 fittings and live on this machine but alas he was gone never to be heard from again... i get 3 or 4 of these every fall and every spring

I think I know what's going on here. A guy will stripe it right down the middle with some mustard on it. Looks darn near as good as a tour pro hits it... therefore it must be around 300 yards. He never paces it off, never uses a free phone app to measure it, never uses his scope to look back at the bench next to the tee markers he used. He really believes he hit it 300 yards but never verifies it. It's more fun to claim the 300 than to hurt your ego.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

There used to be an older guy in his 50s at a 9 hole muni course that I played at some after school when I was younger. He would always try and give "lessons" to kids who were out there playing and came across like a pedo. He would tell stories of how he has "35 hole in ones but check back tomorrow I may have more" and would say he played on mini tours and won local events etc. He was a decent golfer but I rarely saw him make any swings that would be fitting of his supposed "resume" and he mostly played by himself hitting 2-3 balls. But would see him occasionally creepily standing behind kids showing them how to hit the ball or just approaching kids who would be on the practice green with unsolicited advice. He would even play the first hole and sit on the bench conveniently away from the clubhouse and wait for younger golfers to play up to him and then ask to join them to "give em some tips". Had cartoon headcovers and a Taz the Tasmanian Devil towel. Also would see him talk to himself and be muttering things to himself. Well one day my cousin who is a pharmacist was out there with me and "Pro" as we would call him was there and up to his old tricks. My cousin had never seen him at the course before or knew the stories about him but said "If you knew all the meds that guy was on you would stay away from him". He said he was a full blown schizo. One of the funniest things Pro ever said was "if pros would spend a day with me when they were struggling I would have them straightened out. These teachers don't know the game like I do."

There used to be an older guy in his 50s at a 9 hole muni course that I played at some after school when I was younger. He would always try and give "lessons" to kids who were out there playing and came across like a pedo. He would tell stories of how he has "35 hole in ones but check back tomorrow I may have more" and would say he played on mini tours and won local events etc. He was a decent golfer but I rarely saw him make any swings that would be fitting of his supposed "resume" and he mostly played by himself hitting 2-3 balls. But would see him occasionally creepily standing behind kids showing them how to hit the ball or just approaching kids who would be on the practice green with unsolicited advice. He would even play the first hole and sit on the bench conveniently away from the clubhouse and wait for younger golfers to play up to him and then ask to join them to "give em some tips". Had cartoon headcovers and a Taz the Tasmanian Devil towel. Also would see him talk to himself and be muttering things to himself. Well one day my cousin who is a pharmacist was out there with me and "Pro" as we would call him was there and up to his old tricks. My cousin had never seen him at the course before or knew the stories about him but said "If you knew all the meds that guy was on you would stay away from him". He said he was a full blown schizo. One of the funniest things Pro ever said was "if pros would spend a day with me when they were struggling I would have them straightened out. These teachers don't know the game like I do."

I'm pretty sure his name was Lenny and he tried to sell me a bag of balls at The Legends of Massillon 15 years or so ago, lol! One learned pretty quickly that you didn't tell Lenny no.

Trackman came be humbling. It's best to go in humble.

+1. The only way that people will nearly ( I use this loosely because there are still idiots) is if there is Trackman AND they are outside. You can have Trackman inside and these idiots will still have negative things to say. But if it is outside, they can see that their "300" yard drives really go 240 because they swing about 85 MPH and not 109.

People rarely do though...

+1. The only way that people will nearly ( I use this loosely because there are still idiots) is if there is Trackman AND they are outside. You can have Trackman inside and these idiots will still have negative things to say. But if it is outside, they can see that their "300" yard drives really go 240 because they swing about 85 MPH and not 109.

Very true we have that setup and our range uses new nxt tours as test range balls. 1 guy last september insisted he hits his 4 iron 240. I told him to aim at the 200 marker and let it rip. After 5 balls he averaged 198 carry 208 with roll total which mind you is very good. His dispersion wasnt bad his launch/ball speed consistent. He insists its wrong. I tell him he cant carry the 200 sign. He claims the balls are s***. I drop 3 new prov1s and say have at it. The #s dont change other than spin. His third one lands even with the 200. A nice high fade right at the sign. I say great shot bottle that one up for the course! Hes so upset he says dont be a dick about it! I said excuse me? He said youre being sarcastic. I said absolutely not sir. That was your best shot. Look at your #s theyre awesome. I point out his smash factor and say you clearly flushed that. He backs down and says sorry and asks me if im sure the machine is accurate. I said yes sir. He asks me to hit a few and asks me how far i hit my 4 iron and what i would take from 240 out. I point out that i have a 21* hybrid, a talylor made udi 21* driving iron and a 3 iron. I basically explain it depends on the course setup and conditions. I proceed to hit all three off the deck they all end up in the same neighborhood 232-244. Different heights/ spin even ball flight as i cant draw the hybrid and driving iron consistently. I then hit my 4 iron 3 times carry is 216 223 total. He looks at me and blanks. I point to the college kid i work with further down the range and said let me bring him over so you can see a real big hitter.

He comes over and i ask him can you hit a few drivers and 4 irons for the gentleman? I want to show him how insane swing speed translates to carry and total distance. This kid is a division 2 golfer. He proceeds to hit 3 drivers 121 swing speed 178-179 ball speed. 340+ bombs all the way to the end of the range. Hits 3 4 irons 239 carry 250 total. The client was astounded. He explained to me that he always guessed his yardage based on what he had left into the green. He plays alocal course thats 6100 yards with alot of doglegs. He cuts the corner on par 4s that are 340yards with 4 iron off the tee and he says i always have 100 yards left on thiese holes so i figured i hit it 240 like clockwork. It happens all the time and is sometimes innocent but some people...

I usually do not have to play with other golfers or for that matter get to play with others due to my job and the small rural country club I golf at but a few weekends ago one of the first rounds of the year I got to play with quite the gentlemen.

A little reference, our back nine is very tight and our course in general is not too long (about 6200?) so the best play for me is almost always to hit my 23* UDI off the tee. I played this way for the first 6 holes and was hitting fairways well and apparently really impressing these two guys. This one guy claimed he could only hit forged blades due to his swing type (whatever that may have been) and that although they weren't great that him and his buddy had world class short games. World class? I don't mean to sound like the PGA pro as i am far from it but duffing half a dozen chips and pitches is hardly world class in my books. These guys finally made me laugh out loud as we got to the 16th par 5.

I finally took out my driver for the first hole and they were more than a little excited and they told me why. These guys seemed to think I was the next Tiger Woods. The younger of the two, Mr Forged Blades Only, seriously asked me, "You must be able to hit youre driver, what, 400 yards?". I said not quite haha. They seemed to think my 4 iron went about 300 yards...

I would guess my 4 iron went about 210 off the tee and a good drive for me is 270-280. With this guy thinking I hit the ball 400 i wonder what he thinks and tells people he hits it? 350? Maybe this is where most WRX'ers get their numbers from...

ALL golfers would be humbled if they used a simple phone app to measure their drives. On that note, do you know anyone who consistently under-estimates the length of their drives?

*most

I also frequently underestimate how far I hit a drive. I'll typically start searching 40-50 yards short of where I usually am. I don't follow my drives well, without a spotter I'd say 50% of the time I don't see them. I can tell you it went generally left, right, or straight. I'm not typical though. I used to compete in long drive comps and more closely resemble a primate than a human. I've always been "country" (used to say the "r" word before someone told me it wasn't proper) strong and can still squat over 600# without working out regular although I'm not close to what I used to bench. I've had a measured SS in excess of 140. I also frequently have underestimated the straight line distance on doglegs that I've cut off. I was pretty surprised when a couple of days ago, I pulled up GN GPS on a hole I talked about on the "shots you'll remember forever" thread and found out it was 320. I assumed it was about 250 since I sent a sweeping hook 3i onto the green 15 years ago by accident and recently replicated it intentionally. Now I'm not saying that I hit it the full 320 as I no doubt got some roll with that type of shot shape, but I was surprised (by about 50 yards) how far the shot actually went. I also hit one onto a 362 yard par 4 that was 10 yards past the hole, earlier this year. Yes I carried it the entire way as it actually backed up a little on the softer than mush green and while the hole said it was 380 the 362 was GPS measured from center of the tee to center of the green. Since the flag was roughly center as well as the tee markers on the box I'd have to say this is accurate to about 5 yards or so. Yes there was a slightly helping tailwind of +/- 10 mph or so.

So while I'll admit that most likely do overestimate how far their shots are going, saying ALL can make you equally wrong.

(Footnote: I do not claim to be a great golfer. I'm not. I can hit a golf ball a long ways, but don't always do so since I'm not a great golfer).

So go ahead and call me the most delusional golfer you've ever heard of. It'd be fitting for this thread. And while I might be, it's only due to my belief that "this season" I'm going to be consistently under par (of which I pray every season), it's not due to any distance that I claim. Those are legit. The real funny thing is just about any golfer under 50 hits his short irons as far as I do. There's a couple reasons for this, one I'm using 20 year old Ping Eye 2's of which my 6 is lofted like today's 8's, and also because I've developed a system that works for me which mainly means I hit them real easy. I'm much more consistent with distance and dispersion this way. So while I can crank my 5i 225 or more, I prefer to hit it a consistent 180 or so. I'll reiterate that this system works for me, and probably me only. That's not saying I won't take a mighty swipe with one when the situation requires (2nd into a long par 5, hitting 3i off the tee on a longish, tight par 4, etc).

Flame away if so inclined.

You're in the right thread anyways.

See? I told you, lol.

What I don't get is why folk can't wrap their heads around something they can't do and look to it as impossible. I've never been able to make myself belch. Try as I might, I just can't do it. Doesn't mean it can't be done. I've seen it done plenty to know that some can.

As a further example, my oldest boy can make himself break wind. Yes you read that right. Now I've never been inclined to try to do this intentionally, I do now know it can be done. I once asked him how he does it and he said "it's simple dad, I just suck the air in and shoot it out". Different? Sure. Impossible? I think not.

(And if you're not rolling at this point please ask yourself, why not??)

Playing for work; I actually saw a Hammer X in a bag

I played one time with my neighbor and his father in law and the father in law had the Hammer and the hammer 3 wood.

If you have The Hammer why would you even fathom using the 3W? Just fly it 400 and putt or pitch on to the green.

Apparently it's a "system". I tossed and turned all night last night when I found out there was a putter. Cold sweats, etc. Yikes!

I usually do not have to play with other golfers or for that matter get to play with others due to my job and the small rural country club I golf at but a few weekends ago one of the first rounds of the year I got to play with quite the gentlemen.

A little reference, our back nine is very tight and our course in general is not too long (about 6200?) so the best play for me is almost always to hit my 23* UDI off the tee. I played this way for the first 6 holes and was hitting fairways well and apparently really impressing these two guys. This one guy claimed he could only hit forged blades due to his swing type (whatever that may have been) and that although they weren't great that him and his buddy had world class short games. World class? I don't mean to sound like the PGA pro as i am far from it but duffing half a dozen chips and pitches is hardly world class in my books. These guys finally made me laugh out loud as we got to the 16th par 5.

I finally took out my driver for the first hole and they were more than a little excited and they told me why. These guys seemed to think I was the next Tiger Woods. The younger of the two, Mr Forged Blades Only, seriously asked me, "You must be able to hit youre driver, what, 400 yards?". I said not quite haha. They seemed to think my 4 iron went about 300 yards...

I would guess my 4 iron went about 210 off the tee and a good drive for me is 270-280. With this guy thinking I hit the ball 400 i wonder what he thinks and tells people he hits it? 350? Maybe this is where most WRX'ers get their numbers from...

ALL golfers would be humbled if they used a simple phone app to measure their drives. On that note, do you know anyone who consistently under-estimates the length of their drives?

*most

I also frequently underestimate how far I hit a drive. I'll typically start searching 40-50 yards short of where I usually am. I don't follow my drives well, without a spotter I'd say 50% of the time I don't see them. I can tell you it went generally left, right, or straight. I'm not typical though. I used to compete in long drive comps and more closely resemble a primate than a human. I've always been "country" (used to say the "r" word before someone told me it wasn't proper) strong and can still squat over 600# without working out regular although I'm not close to what I used to bench. I've had a measured SS in excess of 140. I also frequently have underestimated the straight line distance on doglegs that I've cut off. I was pretty surprised when a couple of days ago, I pulled up GN GPS on a hole I talked about on the "shots you'll remember forever" thread and found out it was 320. I assumed it was about 250 since I sent a sweeping hook 3i onto the green 15 years ago by accident and recently replicated it intentionally. Now I'm not saying that I hit it the full 320 as I no doubt got some roll with that type of shot shape, but I was surprised (by about 50 yards) how far the shot actually went. I also hit one onto a 362 yard par 4 that was 10 yards past the hole, earlier this year. Yes I carried it the entire way as it actually backed up a little on the softer than mush green and while the hole said it was 380 the 362 was GPS measured from center of the tee to center of the green. Since the flag was roughly center as well as the tee markers on the box I'd have to say this is accurate to about 5 yards or so. Yes there was a slightly helping tailwind of +/- 10 mph or so.

So while I'll admit that most likely do overestimate how far their shots are going, saying ALL can make you equally wrong.

(Footnote: I do not claim to be a great golfer. I'm not. I can hit a golf ball a long ways, but don't always do so since I'm not a great golfer).

So go ahead and call me the most delusional golfer you've ever heard of. It'd be fitting for this thread. And while I might be, it's only due to my belief that "this season" I'm going to be consistently under par (of which I pray every season), it's not due to any distance that I claim. Those are legit. The real funny thing is just about any golfer under 50 hits his short irons as far as I do. There's a couple reasons for this, one I'm using 20 year old Ping Eye 2's of which my 6 is lofted like today's 8's, and also because I've developed a system that works for me which mainly means I hit them real easy. I'm much more consistent with distance and dispersion this way. So while I can crank my 5i 225 or more, I prefer to hit it a consistent 180 or so. I'll reiterate that this system works for me, and probably me only. That's not saying I won't take a mighty swipe with one when the situation requires (2nd into a long par 5, hitting 3i off the tee on a longish, tight par 4, etc).

320 yard 3 irons? 140 MPH swing speed? Have some decency! You're gonna make the guys who hit 230 yard 7 irons delete their accounts.

I played one time with my neighbor and his father in law and the father in law had the Hammer and the hammer 3 wood.

If you have The Hammer why would you even fathom using the 3W? Just fly it 400 and putt or pitch on to the green.

Apparently it's a "system". I tossed and turned all night last night when I found out there was a putter. Cold sweats, etc. Yikes!

Well, someone has to post it:

"POW!!!"

Well, someone has to post it:

"POW!!!"

"Shudders and breaks into a cold sweat"

*most

320 yard 3 irons? 140 MPH swing speed? Have some decency! You're gonna make the guys who hit 230 yard 7 irons delete their accounts.

Lol! I cannot overstate the fact that I used to compete in long drive comps enough. I don't swing that hard when playing a round, for the most part, except for example... say I'm one under through 16. I make a triple on 17. My SS on 18 will be, ahem, elevated. It's not all fun and games though, trust me. I've broken way more drivers than I care to admit. I once even broke a brand new 2 piece Titleist golf ball, split it into two on a chilly morning. How do you play that? I'm still waiting on a USGA ruling on how to score that hole 15 years later.

For the record I don't play my irons for any sort of distance either. I have a system, one that works for me and me only, and I don't clear vertical with them on my backswing under typical playing conditions. As such I only hit my 7i, for example, 150yards or so. Can I hit it much further, you bet. But in order to control distance and dispersion I've developed a way to play that involves a 3/4 swing at most. The exceptions to that are if I use my 3i off the tee or am hitting 3-5i into a par five (or short par 4) green where I need to hit them further than I typically do. Is it the best way to play? Probably not for most but for me I make it work. The most lofted club I carry is a stock set PW, which I use typically for anything 120 in. Can I hit it further than 120? You bet. Do I? Not unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as having to clear a tree directly in front of me. When I take a huge rip with shorter irons I hit them too high and create way too much spin. So I've found a system that works for me. I'm not a great golfer. The good lord did bless me with an over abundance of raw power. It was the same thing playing baseball growing up. I wasn't great (and I had a chance to witness great as a good friend of mine played in the MLB for ten years or so, albeit he was only average in that setting), but I could hit the ball a long way when I got ahold of it.

So those that hit their 7i 230 can keep their accounts. I'm of no threat to them. I'm not even sure I can with my set where the loft is probably the same as their 9i. Sure I could probably hood the heck out of it and do that but what's the point? I'll just hit a 6i if I need it to go 230 ( :) ).

About 20 years ago I had a boss that was the epitome of the pointy haired boss from Dilbert. He used to walk around with a coffee cup and say stupid sh** all the time. It was like living in the cartoon. He was also about 5'4" tall and a West Point graduate. So military type hard@$$ with a Napoleon complex. He was a real joy to work for.

So he finds out that I enjoyed playing golf. At the time I was a straight up bogey golfer. I could almost always break 100, but my lowest score was maybe 85. He asks me to play golf with him and we go to the local pitch & putt with another co-worker. The 3rd guy was a bit of a stick - he was about a 6 and just ate up the pitch and putt. The boss hit the ball reasonably straight, and he could chip & putt decently. I was erratic as hell and missed most of the greens. Both the co-worker and the boss beat me by several strokes (the co-worker beat the boss by a shot or two). So we go to to work the next day and the boss won't shut up about it - he is telling everyone how he whipped my butt and that he almost beat the co-worker who was "a really good golfer." Said crap like he couldn't wait to get me on a real course so he could beat me again.

So what the boss didn't know was that I had been interviewing for other jobs and had gotten a job offer a week prior. But the job didn't start for another month, so I hadn't turned in my resignation yet. So basically I didn't much care about anything. In front of everyone I say, "hey I'll beat you by at least 10 strokes on a real course, or I'll quit." He immediately starts backtracking and saying no, he didn't want to do that because he didn't want to lose me as an employee. But I was pretty adamant that I was going to crush him. He couldn't figure out why I was so confident when he had just beat me.

A week later we go to the local golf course and I beat the pants off him. I shot about a 95 and he was over 120. Next day at work I was a real jerk and just kept yammering on about how a pitch & putt isn't real golf, and that if you want to talk sh** you need to win on a real golf course. Basically I took his level of obnoxiousness and amped it up a few notches.

A few weeks later I left the company - and he was the primary reason I left as I could no longer stomach working for him anymore. A year later he got fired because me and another guy who made him look good both had quit and it took the company that long to figure out that he was a gaseous windbag who provided no redeeming value.

So how did I know that I would beat him? Well, at the pitch and putt I took 3 clubs - putter, SW & PW. Meanwhile the boss carried his full bag and he was hitting 6 iron into some of the holes - all of which were less than 100 yards. So Tom, if by any chance you are reading this, don't talk crap about a guy's golf game when he can fly an 8 iron the same distance you can hit your driver - it isn't going to go well for you.

Didn't actually play golf with this kid, but he tried out for the golf team and had been on summer vacation in either Florida or the Caribbean. Acted like he was going to light the course on fire (this was high school). I remember him around the green asking if the grass was bent grass or Bermuda, as though it actually mattered.

I think his first tryout round, he shot somewhere in the 60's for 9 holes - he also may have been the only guy using a push cart, and he wheeled the thing across the 9th green in front of the head coach (who was also the assistant pro at the course) - the 9th green is right by the clubhouse, so members were all around to see it. The coach had it out with him. I think he still came back a day or two, but I don't think he ever broke 55 or so, and never came close to making the team. It must have been the wrong type of grass, otherwise I'm sure he would have been under par.

My friend and I always talk about this. If I go to the range, 99 times out of 100 I am one of the longest hitters there. My buddy hits it a little farther.

Last fall, we were out and it was about 40 degrees. Both it pretty good drives on one hole, nothing spectacular, but carry distance was just under 240 and we were side by side. He told me his boss (who he golfs with sometimes) would have said we carried those drives 280.

I've said this before, but I think most people feel like anything hit over 250 yards is somehow 300 yards. It's a huge misconception. And the overwhelming majority of golfers don't fly their drives 250. Plenty of people on this site do, but if you go to your average golf course and watch group after group tee off, there just aren't a ton of guys hitting the ball 250+ on the fly.

Didn't actually play golf with this kid, but he tried out for the golf team and had been on summer vacation in either Florida or the Caribbean. Acted like he was going to light the course on fire (this was high school). I remember him around the green asking if the grass was bent grass or Bermuda, as though it actually mattered.

I think his first tryout round, he shot somewhere in the 60's for 9 holes - he also may have been the only guy using a push cart, and he wheeled the thing across the 9th green in front of the head coach (who was also the assistant pro at the course) - the 9th green is right by the clubhouse, so members were all around to see it. The coach had it out with him. I think he still came back a day or two, but I don't think he ever broke 55 or so, and never came close to making the team. It must have been the wrong type of grass, otherwise I'm sure he would have been under par.

We had a baseball player transfer in my junior year, he was a senior. Claimed he had an 89 MPH fastball. Cool. That's moving in high school. We hit practice and it's pretty apparent that his 89 might have been measured in KPH. He ended up being a pretty good guy but why lie to a bunch of folk that are going to see what you got anyways? He probably threw low 60's, mid at best. He had good control (meaning he threw a bunch of strikes) but good lord did guys ever tee off on him. 65 is not 85.

Shared this one here before....

I got paired with a guy about the same age as me at a course I play all of the time. We finish range session and climb into the cart (him driving; I had gotten there first but he said he plays better when he drives - should have been first clue) and head to #1.

I am about to get out and join him on the tee and am standing WELL behind him - and he turns around and says "If you don't mind I would prefer you stay in the cart while I am hitting."

Oh, ok.

So I go over to the cart thinking it's gonna be a long day and this guy is a real winner. He proceeds to pull hook a terrible shot, stands posing looking at it, and finishes up. I walk up, tee my ball up, and he is standing like 10 feet right behind me. I look back and tell him "Now that you mention it I would prefer you sit in the cart while I hit too."

To this he replies something like "So this is how it's going to be!" He rants his way over to the cart, grabs his bag, and walks back to the pro shop. Cussed the entire way in looking back at me periodically as he headed in.

After my round (remember I play this course a lot) I went inside to grab a soda to go and Jamie, the Head Pro, asked me if I was the one paired with him. When I confirmed it Jamie said this guy had been to the course before, always had some odd issue, and rarely finished a round. Seems he would go inside, ask for a refund or a raincheck, and then leave.

Haven't seen him since and I play that course to this day. Can't imagine what those he joins and sticks around with must be able to do to appease him. Thankfully I get to see how he would have behaved around and on the greens. Somewhere along the way someone in his life told him he "was special" and he took them seriously.....

Almost woke the wife laughing at this one!!! That's how it's gonna be!!!

Not that it makes a difference but I've heard ,(reads never tried ) that pushcarts on the green actually aren't bad for the green and likely if you don't do any sudden jerks with it that it's better then walking with your bag

" I remember him around the green asking if the grass was bent grass or Bermuda, as though it actually mattered"

It does actually make a difference on ball rollout in the short game.

OK. But if you can't tell the difference by looking at it, then you probably won't be too concerned with where the sun sets or the water flows or whatever.