New SM7's

Leonard Washington

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding raw Wedges. I remember when Cleveland RTG was popular. All of the good players had raw and very few used chrome. That was for the ams.

When good players switched to Vokey they wanted to keep the chrome.

But then satin finish started showing up on tour. Everyone on these boards wanted satin finish or tour chrome. They would talk about how much better they were. They would pay $300-$400 per Wedge just to have that finish. Vokey recognized that and started brining those to market. Other companies followed.

But now we have the clowns on these boards saying "I would use these, but I really need a raw Wedge". Give me a break. You just want something that is different than what everyone else has.

What’s wrong with wanting something different? Is there something inherently bad with that?

Regarding raw Wedges. I remember when Cleveland RTG was popular. All of the good players had raw and very few used chrome. That was for the ams.

But then satin finish started showing up on tour. Everyone on these boards wanted satin finish or tour chrome. They would talk about how much better they were. They would pay $300-$400 per Wedge just to have that finish. Vokey recognized that and started brining those to market. Other companies followed.

But now we have the clowns on these boards saying "I would use these, but I really need a raw Wedge". Give me a break. You just want something that is different than what everyone else has.

So what is wrong with that?

A friend was good enough to send me pics, can’t wait for these wedges to be released

Hopefully we won’t have to wait long.

Oh yeah? Show me

Lol

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'll play devil's advocate here for a minute. One issue with bringing raw wedges to standard retail is how to prevent wedges rusting before they get in the consumers hands. If they are rusted on the rack, the average golfer isn't going to buy them. Nike had a hard time moving their Engage wedges in golf shops because of this. They tried to coat them in wax the first go 'round and it was a pain for all parties involved, but if it was taken off the wedges started rusting - and if left sitting there long enough it was pretty much impossible to get off. They finally started covering them with a thick plastic wrap and it worked much better, but that was well after the product had been out for a while. That being said, I think Titleist (and other companies - looking at you TaylorMade) could sell a good number of them without ever putting that finish on a physical store rack. List them on your website for custom order (not marking them up 100%) and watch the orders come in.

selling them at the same price as retail but making them “online only” would just further serve to piss off the big box stores who continue to lose sales to online platforms.

raw and satin chrome have a different sound/feel. I play the raw wedge because of the feel. Does that make me a clown?

I'll play devil's advocate here for a minute. One issue with bringing raw wedges to standard retail is how to prevent wedges rusting before they get in the consumers hands. If they are rusted on the rack, the average golfer isn't going to buy them. Nike had a hard time moving their Engage wedges in golf shops because of this. They tried to coat them in wax the first go 'round and it was a pain for all parties involved, but if it was taken off the wedges started rusting - and if left sitting there long enough it was pretty much impossible to get off. They finally started covering them with a thick plastic wrap and it worked much better, but that was well after the product had been out for a while. That being said, I think Titleist (and other companies - looking at you TaylorMade) could sell a good number of them without ever putting that finish on a physical store rack. List them on your website for custom order (not marking them up 100%) and watch the orders come in.

selling them at the same price as retail but making them "online only" would just further serve to piss off the big box stores who continue to lose sales to online platforms.

Then let the big box stores sell them online too.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Some more images from Titleist. I actually like the look of the SM6's better but these are still very nice.

sm7-1a.jpg

sm7-2.jpg

sm7-3.jpg

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

Love how clean the SM7 wedges look. I think they are the best looking SM wedges made yet.

Interesting to see white paint fill in some of the pictures and black paint fill in others though. Wonder what we will see come retail. Personally I think the black looks a bit better.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

This is the reason that I want raw wedges. I've gone through two 60* Tour Chrome SM6s this year where the plating has worn out and it's looks like I'm 2-3 layers deep on the sole now. Sent it back once and they replaced it, but said it was only cosmetic from normal wear and that it was a one time replacement. Now, do I buy raw SM6s, or wait 6 months after the SM7 release to get raw SM7s?

I got the Jet Black, cleaned up with alcohol, and applied the distilled white vinegar technique to remove the black finish. Although not a purely raw wedge, it looks similar and wears well without showing the contrast of chrome/worn chrome .

Can you post some pix for us to see? Thanks.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

I would prefer the SM7 being next to the rotor logo, or even better on the hosel, rather than under the BV. It does'nt sit right under the BV, imho.

Also, i wonder where the grind is stamped? On the hosel maybe?

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

I would prefer the SM7 being next to the rotor logo, or even better on the hosel, rather than under the BV. It does'nt sit right under the BV, imho.

Also, i wonder where the grind is stamped? On the hosel maybe?

... I have been in a focus group where they wanted our opinions on a logo. It is an amazing endeavor. 20 different people and just about 20 different opinions, even among those that agreed on a specific logo. The OEM's are in a lose-lose situation whenever coming out with new aesthetics.

... I have told this story before but Bridgestones J33cb's might have be the best looking clubs I have ever seen. Very subtle and just beautiful to my eye as well as many other forum members. But the feedback form retailers was "No bling and no shelf appeal". So they came out the the J36's that had some frosting and blue black stripes and a B logo button. The feedback was "Colors don't work and it is too busy". OEM's can't win.

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/wp-content/bridgestone-j33.jpg

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/golf/2014/11/29/article_images/BridgeJ36_600_0.jpg

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

How soon are they talking about??? I know they talk after the PGA show. But that doesn't sound soon to me. That's still more than a couple of months away. If they follow past releases they won't be out until the second half of February. Sorry guys but I'm keeping my fingers crossed this come out much sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

Any leak about a 64?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

I got to handle a current PGA tour players today ( he hadn't hit it yet). Looks very similar to his SM5 wedge but needed some touch up on the grind to get a little more trailing relief and heel relief. Looked a little more tear drop shape than previous models though. His was raw so can't comment on finish.

So... these are larger than the SM6's and more comparable to the SM5 head size?

SM6 will drop to 119 map on 11-17, just a fyi

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

I got to handle a current PGA tour players today ( he hadn't hit it yet). Looks very similar to his SM5 wedge but needed some touch up on the grind to get a little more trailing relief and heel relief. Looked a little more tear drop shape than previous models though. His was raw so can't comment on finish.

So... these are larger than the SM6's and more comparable to the SM5 head size?

I held one SM7 that was an exact same loft (custom loft) and grind as the previous version used. It was a lob (type) wedge and it looked more like an SM5 size head than the SM6. More rounded leading edge and much higher heel top line

I liked the size of the SM5 wedges especially in the higher lofted wedges. I felt I could hit it higher on the face on open faced shots and not get punished as much.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Agree that the SM6 looks better to me than the SM7, at least the back of the club. looks like an older Vokey design, and i like the curve in the back going the other way. Will reserve judgment until I see them at address.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

Just picked up a SM6 52F on BST without knowing that SM7 photos are out. Looks like I won't be missing out on much, phew!

Hoping for something other than Chrome available in lefty, too. I know they make the black finish but I'd really prefer just a raw or unplated brushed silver look. The chrome is murder on my eyes in the sun, it's one of the things I dislike about my MD2's. The black is cool but would require stripping... not a huge deal but still extra work.

and the "raw" black doesn't really rust that much once it's stripped (in comparison to a truly raw wedge). I just hope that one of these days WedgeWorks will offer more lofts for lefties in raw. To not even be able to buy a raw gap wedge is a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Really? That's a disaapointment. My old TM RACs rusted a bunch which I Love because it keeps the face nice and rough. My MD2's are chrome plated and after 3 seasons now they feel "slippery" compared to the old RAC's. I just get on better with the grind on MD2 so I keep using them and try to use height to stop the ball instead of spin.

Just to clarify, rusting on wedges does NOT increase spin. In fact, it actually DECREASES spin.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

Just picked up a SM6 52F on BST without knowing that SM7 photos are out. Looks like I won't be missing out on much, phew!

Hoping for something other than Chrome available in lefty, too. I know they make the black finish but I'd really prefer just a raw or unplated brushed silver look. The chrome is murder on my eyes in the sun, it's one of the things I dislike about my MD2's. The black is cool but would require stripping... not a huge deal but still extra work.

and the "raw" black doesn't really rust that much once it's stripped (in comparison to a truly raw wedge). I just hope that one of these days WedgeWorks will offer more lofts for lefties in raw. To not even be able to buy a raw gap wedge is a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Really? That's a disaapointment. My old TM RACs rusted a bunch which I Love because it keeps the face nice and rough. My MD2's are chrome plated and after 3 seasons now they feel "slippery" compared to the old RAC's. I just get on better with the grind on MD2 so I keep using them and try to use height to stop the ball instead of spin.

Just to clarify, rusting on wedges does NOT increase spin. In fact, it actually DECREASES spin.

On full shots? Chip shots or both?