2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Another hypothetical-solheim cup style.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought of the single time with the 12 to 15 might stand a chance.

If, the night before, they stay at a Holiday Inn Express then maybe......

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The OP would be in the third flight at my club, where average score was 80 or so. 74 was a good number in that flight.

Hard to imagine a best ball score over 68 from the women.

At the CC they're playing, I put the two dudes at 84. The gals coast to a 65.

That's what I was thinking, what would two 12-15's shoot in a 2-man scramble? High 70's would be a good round. That's obviously not going to be competitive.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

Shoot..I'd put my money on a legit, traveling scratch golfer on his own ball against a scrambling 12 and 15. Against a pro? Not happening. Doesn't matter if it's women, seniors, or PGA. They are pros for a reason.

Yes that would be a better thread

The lady pros would be in the clubhouse before breakfast stopped being served

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

ya you are correct. I messed that one up

Sorry for the confusion hombre, putting it simply they would get demolished. My joke did come across confusing I was trying to say they might make it to the turn by the time they shake hands and end the match.

A little side note semi humble brag I play my two best friends in a best ball match a couple times a season for 10 bucks. Their best ball vs me playing it down and in.

I'm a 2 cap and have won my fair share against them over the last 3-4 years and they hover around 15. I'm gonna make 3 birdies minimum and play relatively smart and safe. They might catch lightning in a bottle twice per round and get a birdie. A handful of pars to cancel me out a few times.

Long story short if I can demolish two 15s as a lowish handicap I don't think the LPGA would break a sweat no matter the format haha.

Sorry for the confusion hombre, putting it simply they would get demolished. My joke did come across confusing I was trying to say they might make it to the turn by the time they shake hands and end the match.

A little side note semi humble brag I play my two best friends in a best ball match a couple times a season for 10 bucks. Their best ball vs me playing it down and in.

I'm a 2 cap and have won my fair share against them over the last 3-4 years and they hover around 15. I'm gonna make 3 birdies minimum and play relatively smart and safe. They might catch lightning in a bottle twice per round and get a birdie. A handful of pars to cancel me out a few times.

Long story short if I can demolish two 15s as a lowish handicap I don't think the LPGA would break a sweat no matter the format haha.

You should win more often than not against two 15's imo. When I was zero to one I used to play that game against two eight caps and would win at least half the time. Assuming they are playing gross you should win almost every time against two 15's. Their gross best ball 76 should be a very good day for them.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

You should win more often than not against two 15's imo. When I was zero to one I used to play that game against two eight caps and would win at least half the time. Assuming they are playing gross you should win almost every time against two 15's. Their gross best ball 76 should be a very good day for them.

Honestly I did the reverse Golfwrx humble brag hahaha.

I didn't want it to seem unrealistic if I said they have only ever beat me once and I played like pure poop that day.

You, your brother, and your dad would lose 10&8

On 36 y'all would lose 19&17

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

I think a lot of posters are misjudging the power of scramble vs. Alternate shot. Based on the Every Shot Counts book by Broadie, one person playing best-of-two scramble on a challenging 6500 yard course, an 80 average golfer shoots 70 and a 90 average golfer shoots 78. Being 12-15 caps this should put you around 76 for these conditions. Comparing this to the scores from the first round alternate shot rounds you'd match and even beat about half of the groups (maybe some first round nerves for new players, didn't check 2 round alternate shot scores).

However, I believe the Solheim Cup course was set up close to 6900 yards. Also I'd expect a one player 2-shot scramble would score lower than a 2-man scramble, so you'd probably score closer to 80 at the Solheim Cup course.

Considering this I think you'd both have to play great round while the LPGA pro pairing brings their worst and shoot a mid 70's round to have a chance. At the same I think it's equally unlikely you'd lose 10/8 as a lot of people are saying. As a couple of previous posters mentiones I'd say you'd make it to the 12th hole most rounds.

PS. I also enjoyed the broadcast today, what a match between Nordqvist and Thompson!

I've been thoroughly enjoying the Solheim cup, and I'm fully aware of these women's skills. But..... My brother and I, who are both between 12 and 15 hcp think we could beat any pairing in match play if we were allowed to tee off from the same tees and play a scramble vs their alternate shot. My other brother tells us we are crazy. How wing are we?

Your other brother was being kind by saying you are crazy. You wouldn't come close.

I've played DSM Golf probably half a dozen times and after stopping at the practice green where Ping had a bunch of demo putters, I'd guess the greens were running 11-12. The contours on those greens would be a nightmare for a mid-handicap player unless they were very good putters used to demanding greens.

Muligans? Ahh. Doesn't matter.

Winner buys the beer so you won't have to buy. So, you have that going for you.

These threads are funny. I remember a few when Duval had his card and missing cuts. Low caps were saying they could beat him. They are pros for a reason and we aren't.

Are you travelling, tourney tested 12/15s with good ball striking but hands of stone, or not? It's important to know whether you would lose 9&8 or 10&8.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The original post was made in jest. But I think a lot of people are forgetting that I already handicapped them by the format. Our scramble vs. their alternate shot. We would be getting two looks at every green and every putt versus their one, so we'd have somewhat of an equalizer there, although our putting could never match their's. The whole conversation started because we were saying how much fun it would be to play with Kang and Wie, and it definitely wasn't intended to downplay their abilities or skills whatsoever - even if it probably seems that way. What if I threw another caveat into the mix and said they had to match us beer for beer?

The original post was made in jest. But I think a lot of people are forgetting that I already handicapped them by the format. Our scramble vs. their alternate shot. We would be getting two looks at every green and every putt versus their one, so we'd have somewhat of an equalizer there, although our putting could never match their's. The whole conversation started because we were saying how much fun it would be to play with Kang and Wie, and it definitely wasn't intended to downplay their abilities or skills whatsoever - even if it probably seems that way. What if I threw another caveat into the mix and said they had to match us beer for beer?

Shorter:

I was just kidding!!!

But seriously though, could we win?

I wish this would happen. I think I'd actually throw 20 bucks at a pay-per-view of you and your brother (or any 2 anonymous chops you'd like) against, say Lexi and Kerr. |especially if you were Mic'd up the whole time.

half hour before tee time, on the practice green.

"Dude, I'm rolling it so well, I think we'll be about even putting wise, and with your length? We got this bro!"

"Totally Bro!" awkward golfer high 5, fade to black, E.D. commercial.

5th tee box

"Ok, they can't keep making putts like this. And listen, 3 down isn't so bad, a good drive here and we're right back in this thing"

"LET'S GOOOOOOO!"

8th Tee box

"F***."

"yep"

12th Tee

"mama!"

"mama!"

"Mama!"

"Oh i want my mama!"

"me too!"

"she likes big brother better"

"Hes smart though"

"yeah"

"Mama!!!"

15th tee

....is empty.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

One day, it'll be players from Korea vs. Korean players born somewhere else.

So true, Petunia.

Americans vs. Europe does not even feature the best players.

Why would it be interesting to watch, in spite of Julie Inkster and Annika doing an "Elaine Benes" dance on the 1st tee.

A better match would be Koreans vs. the World.

They'll hand it to you and your brother. Laughing the whole way. Not even close. These gals are no joke on the golf course. Not sure why so many men have this masagonistic impulse...thinking a 12 and a 15 can compete with pros just because they don't have a weenie.

I got whooped by a few D1 girls when I was a traveling plus cap D2 player. They're good. Period.

Lol seems like we get these (OP) posts every once in a while, usually by some high school golfers who just have no clue, unfortunately. To used to mama just giving them a sandwich to realize a woman can smoke them at something.

I recall when I was...ahem... younger, I was carrying about a 2 and would shoot in the 60's as often as I would shoot in the 70's, was playing 4x a week usually, and I played with a recently graduated HS female player, who was going to UGA on scholarship that fall... and got my Word not allowed waxed lol. Different tee's, of course, but the consistency of her game was awesome to watch, was quite an eye opener for me. Fairways and Greens, good looks at birdies on almost every hole. All greens were easy two putts at worse, just no stress in her game at all.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

OP don't be discouraged by tough guys with keyboards. My brother told me I was crazy for thinking my friends and I could beat the UConn lady's team. The caveat was our rim would be lowered to 8 1/2 feet and every time we scored we got the ball back. He told my no way in hell. I think he was wing.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

I've been randomly paired with local female h.s. stars who hit from the same tee with the guys and shoot the most routine drama free 74 or 75 you've ever seen.

I enjoyed Solheim Cup - great competition with folks who mostly (with some exceptions) have similar driver ss as me and pull the same iron I would...and shoot 65 LOL. PGA is of course great, but harder to relate to their games and I feel like I learn more course management watching the women and champions tour.