Does anybody miss the old Be Better Golf Youtube Show?

Bre9327

I love the fellows white knighting for him without fully knowing what he is actually up too.

Are you guys getting free lessons? Maybe he doesnt charge you to play with him so you feel like you are on the "inside" circle?

If you're talking about me, I'm not doing any "white knighting". I do know him and know he's a nice guy. The things I said in my first post are all reasonable. I do admit that I didn't know he was doing lessons because when I looked at the School section on his site it was other instructors he was promoting. I still think the "charlatan" label is pretty unfair but I do see now that he's offering lessons for a price and I'm not defending against anyone's criticism of that.

You are definitely a white knight in this case (nothing wrong with that, I get it, you are buddies, he doesnt charge you to play golf with him, etc).

Brendon is a big boy, he doesnt need his buddies to come and defend his honor. He was on this site and got himself banned for trying to skirt the sponsorship rules of the forum. I'd be willing to bet he can go ahead and pony up and become a sponsor and speak for himself if he so pleases.

He'll become a sponsor if GolfWRX pays for his sponsorship fee.

He's no Michael Corleone

He don't buy you out, you buy him out!

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlatan - noun - a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud

Let me offer an analogy. Let's say I start interviewing theoretical physicists Michio Kaku, Kip Thorne and Neil deGrasse Tyson on a stargazer YouTube channel. I do that for 2 years and at the end I apply to be a research scientist for NASA.

Do you think NASA would give me the job solely because of my YouTube channel?

Your analogy is specious.

Nevertheless... What special knowledge or skill is he claiming and what is false about it?

The analogy is not “specious” (seemingly correct yet actually false for those who don’t use that word regularly or want to look it up)

My analogy is almost exactly the same structurally since I just changed the genre to theoretical physics and replaced the names of his instructors with popular theoretical physicists. The only difference is that the stakes are higher in NASA since being wrong there could ruin million dollar experiments or billion dollar launches.

He is claiming that he has the ability to teach golf. Brenden is less qualified than many of the people in this thread to teach students.

You are missing Gamble's point which I believe is interviewing and taking a variety of lessons doesn't necessarily make you a qualified instructor which is what Brendon is now holding himself out to be. No indications he's done the hard work to really have sorted out all that entails. If I'm not summarizing correctly then very happy to be corrected.

I imagine the market place will sort that out - he will either help students get better on balance or he won't.

Where is Brendon holding himself out to be a qualified instructor (whatever "qualified" means).

Christo actually did put himself out there as an instructor so the comparison isn't fair. He even posted a video of a (terrible) lesson with a student. AFIK, Brendon hasn’t done that. He’s created a school of sorts (and he created it so he can absolutely use the word “we” in the marketing) and provides content for learning. But, again, he hasn’t listed himself as one of the instructors or put any content up of himself doing any teaching.

On his website you can send a video and he will do a lesson with you for $50. He also assists with teaching in his clinics. If someone didn’t do any research your argument would make sense, but once you spend 3 minutes to look through his website, you will notice that what you wrote above is not true.

See below:

https://www.bebettergolf.net/lessons.html

By the way, if any of you guys are looking for Spanish lessons, I just finished 27 Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons so I feel qualified to tutor people in Spanish. My hourly rate is $150.

¡Vamos Muchachos!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Gamble, there are far more popular instructors with far less actual playing experience charging $500/hr that would have been thrown off goat track ranges several years ago who now others hold to be ‘world class’.

If there was another thread dedicated to them and I knew they were frauds I would jump in that pool too.

I’ll bite though, who are you referencing?

Those you can play, play, those who cannot....teach. Isnt that the saying?

James Hahn was teaching on Twitter a few days ago when he was stuck in an airport. You wouldn’t see Tiger doing that...

primarily because Tiger hasn’t flown commercial since 1998.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Ironically this thread is making Brendon one of the controversial voices in golf. ;-)

It was cool last year that he filmed one of Monte's tournament bids and he was genuinely enthused about doing that and probably resonated more with the folks here than generally, although Monte was his guest for several weekly segments (and good ones). That's an example of some of the kind of stuff I did enjoy checking in for.

Teaching aside and we've been over that plenty I think (and won't repeat my opinion), I'm assuming some of what he is selling is some new content with segments from different instructors? Some of the pics have me thinking some of that is packaged vids that were previously available to anyone free on his channel. Not trying to start anything by asking and just curious. Not necessarily buying anything, but if he's producing some new stuff and a little more targeted it could be entertaining or interesting and certainly would merit getting people to buy it, if he can.

It's kind on an interesting contrast with established instructors (meaning already doing it for a living but looking to expand into something more like Crossfield, Shiels and Finch, for example). Their YouTube-ing has certainly expanded their own "brands" and they are to the point where they are pulling income from YouTube and have a lot of options. Brendon seems to be trying to parlay YouTube "success" (and by his own admission, with his low number off subscribers he's at the bottom of the totem pole) into off camera dollars from pay for students and subscribers and making a teaching career out of essentially nothing but experience producing vids and interviewing instructors. Again, I don't wish him bad luck, just seems a tough way to make a go of it and he must be determined to make a living from golf and is giving it a shot his way. Just seems like he's jumped a few steps - but you never know what "knowledge" hungry golf fanatics are going to pay for (just look in my basement or my PayPal account, lol). Tried a couple time to get this thread moving in more of a discussion about that aspect, but haven't succeeded so far.

OK, that was my "fair and balanced" last post in this thread (maybe) - and I don't think my opinion is that far off from Gamble Gamble and honestly don't think it's that far off from what his friends might acknowledge to be the case.

Merry Christmas!

Ironically this thread is making Brendon one of the controversial voices in golf. ;-)

It was cool last year that he filmed one of Monte's tournament bids and he was genuinely enthused about doing that and probably resonated more with the folks here than generally, although Monte was his guest for several weekly segments (and good ones). That's an example of some of the kind of stuff I did enjoy checking in for.

Teaching aside and we've been over that plenty I think (and won't repeat my opinion), I'm assuming some of what he is selling is some new content with segments from different instructors? Some of the pics have me thinking some of that is packaged vids that were previously available to anyone free on his channel. Not trying to start anything by asking and just curious. Not necessarily buying anything, but if he's producing some new stuff and a little more targeted it could be entertaining or interesting and certainly would merit getting people to buy it, if he can.

It's kind on an interesting contrast with established instructors (meaning already doing it for a living but looking to expand into something more like Crossfield, Shiels and Finch, for example). Their YouTube-ing has certainly expanded their own "brands" and they are to the point where they are pulling income from YouTube and have a lot of options. Brendon seems to be trying to parlay YouTube "success" (and by his own admission, with his low number off subscribers he's at the bottom of the totem pole) into off camera dollars from pay for students and subscribers and making a teaching career out of essentially nothing but experience producing vids and interviewing instructors. Again, I don't wish him bad luck, just seems a tough way to make a go of it and he must be determined to make a living from golf and is giving it a shot his way. Just seems like he's jumped a few steps - but you never know what "knowledge" hungry golf fanatics are going to pay for (just look in my basement or my PayPal account, lol). Tried a couple time to get this thread moving in more of a discussion about that aspect, but haven't succeeded so far.

OK, that was my "fair and balanced" last post in this thread (maybe) - and I don't think my opinion is that far off from Gamble Gamble and honestly don't think it's that far off from what his friends might acknowledge to be the case.

Merry Christmas!

I agree that the Monte tournament video was really good and think overall this is a fair take, I pretty much agree.

Brendon should bring on a few instructors that are women. It would be interesting to see if they teach any differently than men.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

You are missing Gamble's point which I believe is interviewing and taking a variety of lessons doesn't necessarily make you a qualified instructor which is what Brendon is now holding himself out to be. No indications he's done the hard work to really have sorted out all that entails. If I'm not summarizing correctly then very happy to be corrected.

I imagine the market place will sort that out - he will either help students get better on balance or he won't.

I think I was trying to answer Gamble's point in an an obscure way, apparently. He doesn't necessarily profess to know how to fix your swing in any way.

The service he seems to provide is fully self vetted instructors to people who sign up for his classes which are taught by professionals.

You are wrong. He offers instruction online for a fee. Discussed in this topic and generally available information. He absolutely professes to know how to fix someone's golf swing.

Yes, I'm wrong about this, and just watched a few videos. His swing is kind of arm dominant which is possibly why he pulls the crap out of some of his tee shots and makes me wonder about his near scratch ability?

Yep. So he is.

Perhaps not a charlatan but, ya, I do see that he's giving lessons.

We live pretty close to him. Have you played with him before?

I think I was trying to answer Gamble's point in an an obscure way, apparently. He doesn't necessarily profess to know how to fix your swing in any way.

The service he seems to provide is fully self vetted instructors to people who sign up for his classes which are taught by professionals.

You are wrong. He offers instruction online for a fee. Discussed in this topic and generally available information. He absolutely professes to know how to fix someone's golf swing.

Yes, I'm wrong about this, and just watched a few videos. His swing is kind of arm dominant which is possibly why he pulls the crap out of some of his tee shots and makes me wonder about his near scratch ability?

Yep. So he is.

Actually, isn't his lower body super active? I'm pretty sure he pulls it because his arms get way behind his pivot and he flips/rolls the face over at the end to try and save the shot.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Actually, isn't his lower body super active? I'm pretty sure he pulls it because his arms get way behind his pivot and he flips/rolls the face over at the end to try and save the shot.

Everything I say from here on is qualified as "I'm not an instructor, nor do I know how to analyze a swing."

You're right, Bobby Lopez stated that he gets behind himself too much. There are people who can turn that much and still sequence correctly, but obviously Brendon is not able to go that far back. He also turns his head instead of keeping it looking back. This causes other bad things to happen in his swing.

It seems that he does have a lot of flaws, and certainly not the kind that he can't fix especially if he knew how to fix other people's swings through video lessons.

He might still play okay though even with these flaws, because we have over 300 days of golf down here.

With Bobby:

I don't see that at all.

He gets almost no lateral left bend and his right knee has a lot of flex at p4.

Because of that, he gets the hand path too far outside and then he stalls and slides his lower body too much to prevent the club path from going too far left.

RH

I don't see that at all.

Because of that, he gets the hand path too far outside and then he stalls and slides his lower body too much to prevent the club path from going too far left.

RH

That's a pretty decent understanding. I'm guessing you're an instructor?

Here's another video with Bobby and BBG.

I don't see that at all.

RH

His right knee may have a lot of flex, but he still gets a full hip turn going back, he is just flexible...at P6 his hips have already reached his full range of motion and his arms are way behind. The hips shouldn't be in that position until P7. Telltale sign that he is too active with his lower body to start. That and he is out on his right toes with the club at P6. If his hips were more quiet to start, his right foot would be more planted and his hips would be supporting the rotation better.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Yep. So he is.

I have but it's been many many many years. He was a very good player then and is even better now.

Did you play at El Dorado with him? That seems to be his home course based upon seeing his range videos.

Cool, but how do you know he's better now?

Yep. So he is.

I have but it's been many many many years. He was a very good player then and is even better now.

Did you play at El Dorado with him? That seems to be his home course based upon seeing his range videos.

Cool, but how do you know he's better now?

I played with him at Costa Mesa.

I know he's better because I watch his rounds on his vlog. Plus, his index is much lower.

I don't see that at all.

RH

His right knee may have a lot of flex, but he still gets a full hip turn going back, he is just flexible...at P6 his hips have already reached his full range of motion and his arms are way behind. The hips shouldn't be in that position until P7. Telltale sign that he is too active with his lower body to start. That and he is out on his right toes with the club at P6. If his hips were more quiet to start, his right foot would be more planted and his hips would be supporting the rotation better.

He's toast at P2. It just degrades from there and leads to a catastrophic transition.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

I'm never going to criticize someone for chasing their dream and pursuing their passion. Clearly he loves the game given the amount of time and effort he has put into in, long before he was charging fees for lessons. When you can make a living from something you are passionate about, it no longer becomes work. We all should be chasing that!

That said, over time, the economics of his offering will work themselves out on their own. That's the good thing about economics. If the people paying for lessons see improvements, they will come back. They will then tell their friends and they will buy lessons. If they don't see improvement, he will soon find himself with nothing to sell.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

I agree with the above post. I enjoyed some of his older content more than what he is currently doing, but some of that comes from the fact that many of the new drills and feels he is using would be a death move for me(He has a tendency to come outside/in, whereas I have always had a very in to out path). In addition, our ideas on the golf swing differ a bit. For that reason, I have stopped watching his channel.

It seems as though the channel has evolved as he found "the right instructors for him". In the beginning it was exposing a range of instructors with different swing philosophies. Once he found instructors whose ideas resonate most with him, he began to allow them to provide the majority of content on his channel. This makes sense though, because its a golf vlog channel and he is posting what he is working on.

In the end I will always be grateful as I found a swing methodology(ggswingtips) that he exposed the channel to even if he didn't end up using the instructor.

All in all he seems like a nice enough guy that is having a breakthrough with his golf game and is trying to spread the word to the masses. As the above poster said, kudos to him for trying to spread the word and pursue his passion. Hopefully, many golfers find help in his golf schools or instruction.

I don't think he is getting a full range of motion with his pelvis at p6. And nor do I think that is a real issue when you look at Garrigus who is one of the best ballstrikers on the planet and he actually gets into just about a full range or pelvic rotation at p6.

This is quite a noticeable amount of pelvic slide:

bbg.png

The guy in the white shirt behind him gets covered up in transition and even moreso at impact. Instead of lowering the pelvis with his left knee and left hip in more flexion, they are in less flexion and it's a telltale sign of somebody pushing off with the right foot linearly instead of rotating.

The CoM of his pelvis gets too far ahead and that causes his hands to fall behind his pelvic.

If he gets more left hip and left knee flexion in transition, that will allow him to lower the pelvis and get far more rotation. But, IMO, it all starts with his backswing. His lack of left lateral bend and having the right knee flexed too much (and with not enough right hip/femur internal rotation)....that essentially starts a lot of problems at p4 and that leads to him getting the hand path too far outward into p5...instead of going a little downward and then outward. He then tries to save that outward path with sliding his pelvis and some right lateral bend.

RH

I don't think he is getting a full range of motion with his pelvis at p6. And nor do I think that is a real issue when you look at Garrigus who is one of the best ballstrikers on the planet and he actually gets into just about a full range or pelvic rotation at p6.

This is quite a noticeable amount of pelvic slide:

bbg.png

The guy in the white shirt behind him gets covered up in transition and even moreso at impact. Instead of lowering the pelvis with his left knee and left hip in more flexion, they are in less flexion and it's a telltale sign of somebody pushing off with the right foot linearly instead of rotating.

The CoM of his pelvis gets too far ahead and that causes his hands to fall behind his pelvic.

If he gets more left hip and left knee flexion in transition, that will allow him to lower the pelvis and get far more rotation. But, IMO, it all starts with his backswing. His lack of left lateral bend and having the right knee flexed too much (and with not enough right hip/femur internal rotation)....that essentially starts a lot of problems at p4 and that leads to him getting the hand path too far outward into p5...instead of going a little downward and then outward. He then tries to save that outward path with sliding his pelvis and some right lateral bend.

RH

The problems definitely start early in the backswing. He creates way too much slack between his left arm and torso. The bad transition is his torso trying to pull the slack out of the system. He is using his anterior deltoid (front shoulder) to lift the left arm up and away right at the beginning. At the top he starts doing some funky things to get the arms back on the pivot train.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

I have to say, this thread has left me thinking that a lesson with Bobby would be great. LOL.

He seems like a hell of a lot of fun!

---------------

On-topic: much like there's the fallacy of the extremes that Mr. Waldron (and others, I'm sure) has talked about before with golf instruction, I think that in Brendon's case there's a bit of an all-or-nothing fallacy going on, where many folks leave out room for either context or nuance in taking sides and it mostly just becomes a "he sucks!/he's great!" argue-fest.

For example, I would say that Brendon's schools where he helps teach are far different than him offering online lessons. At those in-person schools, whoever the teacher is most like discusses their goals and the curriculum with Brendon -- and, as probably is the case with Mr. Luczak [sic?], actually demonstrates to Brendon the takeaway drills/pattern that he wants to teach everyone and is there to help in case Brendon screws up. It really depends on how independent and personalized Brendon's teaching is for a given student (in my opinion).

On the other hand, for Brendon to actually self-diagnose cause and effect and the like on his own in online lessons without having spent thousands of hours learning how to do just that with the help of a professional, is, to me, overly eager and somewhat exploitative. If he has actually put in those hours for training with Mr. Luczak, so be it, but it doesn't seem like he would have the time to train as much as necessary in order to actually help people.

As far as the channel, I still subscribe to BBG because I like some of the playing vlogs and seeing an instructor like Bobby Lopez or Chuck Evans, but I'm in agreement with those who say that it was better in the 'Monte era' (with less monetization).

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

I'm never going to criticize someone for chasing their dream and pursuing their passion. Clearly he loves the game given the amount of time and effort he has put into in, long before he was charging fees for lessons. When you can make a living from something you are passionate about, it no longer becomes work. We all should be chasing that!

That said, over time, the economics of his offering will work themselves out on their own. That's the good thing about economics. If the people paying for lessons see improvements, they will come back. They will then tell their friends and they will buy lessons. If they don't see improvement, he will soon find himself with nothing to sell.

Definitely agree with the first paragraph -- but how can we be sure of the second? That's assuming that economics actually do work themselves out in the case of golf instruction, and that relies on the perception of the student.

Much like equipment manufacturers made shafts longer so that 1 out of 20 drives go longer and people are fooled by their own bias, the manufacturer's marketing, and the club's construction, someone taking a lesson with Brendon may hit a couple of great shots and think he's a good teacher even if their index or ball striking or whatever else never changes over the long run. Have that perspective add up across a clientele that knows *and already likes* Brendon as a personality from a golf show, and then what?

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

I think he needs to do 4 videos max with an instructor and move on. If you want more, all the guys he's doing have their own videos out there.

He should do iTeach and Jim Waldron in 2018.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Definitely agree with the first paragraph -- but how can we be sure of the second? That's assuming that economics actually do work themselves out in the case of golf instruction, and that relies on the perception of the student.

Much like equipment manufacturers made shafts longer so that 1 out of 20 drives go longer and people are fooled by their own bias, the manufacturer's marketing, and the club's construction, someone taking a lesson with Brendon may hit a couple of great shots and think he's a good teacher even if their index or ball striking or whatever else never changes over the long run. Have that perspective add up across a clientele that knows *and already likes* Brendon as a personality from a golf show, and then what?

How does your 2nd paragraph apply to Brandon and not every other YouTube or GolfWrx teaching "sensation" without proper playing credentials? Heck, how is it different than for any other club pro for that matter? I've seen a number of "kids" at my club come out of college, get into the golf business as an assistant pro, struggle to pass the PAT, become a "PGA Professional" and start giving lessons. I've also seen a ton of PGA Professionals who can't break 85 in a sectional event.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

How does your 2nd paragraph apply to Brandon and not every other YouTube or GolfWrx teaching "sensation" without proper playing credentials? Heck, how is it different than for any other club pro for that matter? I've seen a number of "kids" at my club come out of college, get into the golf business as an assistant pro, struggle to pass the PAT, become a "PGA Professional" and start giving lessons. I've also seen a ton of PGA Professionals who can't break 85 in a sectional event.

Yep, happens in like every sport. There are coaches in the NFL that have never played at a high level college program. The Pats had a OC a while back that never even played college football.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT