WGC Mexico

Oakey90

Fascinating that Phil won his first PGA Tour event before Justin Thomas was born.........amazing to be competitive out there that long!

He now has a winning span of 28 years, fourth all-time (Sam Snead and Raymond Floyd have 30, and DLIII has 29). Next after Phil is Jack, with "only" 25 years between his first and last PGA win.

And it's not like they picked low-hanging fruit for their last wins. Jack's, of course, was the Masters, and Phil's last two wins have been a major and a WGC.

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I opened Phil's yearly tournament summary pages in the TOUR's Media Guide and discovered the last time Phil strung four consecutive top 10's together was way back in 2005. What he's doing this year is quite remarkable.

ESPN mentioned that he has finished in the top six in his last four tournaments. He has NEVER done that before in his career.

Phil gets credit for the win, yes, sure fine. Check the box.

However, if JT puts down that par on 17, we’re not having this conversation. We’re talking about JT winning with his B game (referencing his interview on Friday when he said he was swinging poorly). Some “certain” things had to happen in a “certain” order for Phil to win. And yes, I know, that "certain" things happening in order can be said of all tournaments.

Personally, I think Phil kicked it into gear when Tiger came back. You see it burns deep inside Phil’s gut that he was never #1 during the Tiger Era.

If revenge is the fuel, I wish him the best. But it will it last? I am not smart enough to answer that.

Agree on the Tiger-motivation. As for the rest. SMH. JT set a tour record for weekend scoring. He had his A++ game in the weekend. Fergie, sometimes youis cra cra.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

However, if JT puts down that par on 17, we’re not having this conversation. We’re talking about JT winning with his B game (referencing his interview on Friday when he said he was swinging poorly). Some “certain” things had to happen in a “certain” order for Phil to win. And yes, I know, that "certain" things happening in order can be said of all tournaments.

Personally, I think Phil kicked it into gear when Tiger came back. You see it burns deep inside Phil’s gut that he was never #1 during the Tiger Era.

If revenge is the fuel, I wish him the best. But it will it last? I am not smart enough to answer that.

Agree on the Tiger-motivation. As for the rest. SMH. JT set a tour record for weekend scoring. He had his A++ game in the weekend. Fergie, sometimes youis cra cra.

There's still a part of me that wants to believe that Ferguson is a huge closet-Phil-fan.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

There's still a part of me that wants to believe that Ferguson is a huge closet-Phil-fan.

Hmmm....does Phil have a known stalker?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hmmm....does Phil have a known stalker?

There’s no way Ferg let’s us get away with this line of reasoning.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Watching Phil these days as he goes about his business is remarkable. He has not changed his approach to the game still playing with no fear while at the same time being very calculating. He finds holes and windows in trees and bushes that no one else would even consider and than goes for it. Is he always successful, no, but that never stops him from attempting those shots. As someone mentioned you can see him these days working on his breathing and really focusing on his upcoming shots. He moves a little slower but he never gives up. So happy he won and looking forward to the Masters and US Open with hopefully him and Tiger battling it out.

I opened Phil's yearly tournament summary pages in the TOUR's Media Guide and discovered the last time Phil strung four consecutive top 10's together was way back in 2005. What he's doing this year is quite remarkable.

ESPN mentioned that he has finished in the top six in his last four tournaments. He has NEVER done that before in his career.

Even more impressive, DP. :)

Sometimes?

Let’s not forget rod Pampling won last year at 47 and stricker made like 1 million in earnings as a 51 year old. Davis love winning Wyndham in 2015 at @49. It’s more and more possible. Experience matters.

I posted this over a another thread.

What you make of this?....

OWGR current compared to 2008

Current>

#5 Justin Rose

#11 Sergio Garcia

#14 Henrik Stenson

#17 Paul Casey

#18 Phil Mickelson

2008>

#2 Phil Mickelson

#7 Justin Rose

#13 Henrik Stenson

#16 Sergio Garcia

#33 Paul Casey

Incredible that 10 years later, "past their prime" Rose, Sergio, and Casey are ranked BETTER now. Stenson is one spot lower.

On Michael Breed's new radio show he took a caller that made an interesting observation. The caller has the opinion that Phil is the greatest golfer of all time because of his behavior and class as a competitor. The way Phil wins and the way Phil loses and the way Phil handles himself at all times on the course is a model of what being a touring professional is all about (this was how the caller summed it up).

I thought this was an interesting take. While I might not agree that Phil is the best all time I do agree that Phil wins and loses with class (except for maybe the Ryder Cup incident).

and Phil represents the epitomy of what golf once was and could be if you connect with your fan base.

I just threw up.

:cheesy: ur killin' me ferg.

Everyone is coming out of the woodwork a Phil fan. It's a love fest.

THIS is a love fest?

What do you call it when a certain former world's number one tees it up and you've got a couple dozen members giving play by play, with max slobbering taking place for good measure?

Wait, scratch that. I don't want to know what ANYONE calls it...

Let’s not forget rod Pampling won last year at 47 and stricker made like 1 million in earnings as a 51 year old. Davis love winning Wyndham in 2015 at @49. It’s more and more possible. Experience matters.

DL3 was 51 when he won The Wyndham. Fred Funk and Craig Stadler both won on the PGA Tour at 50.

I posted this over a another thread.

What you make of this?....

OWGR current compared to 2008

Current>

#5 Justin Rose

#11 Sergio Garcia

#14 Henrik Stenson

#17 Paul Casey

#18 Phil Mickelson

2008>

#2 Phil Mickelson

#7 Justin Rose

#13 Henrik Stenson

#16 Sergio Garcia

#33 Paul Casey

Incredible that 10 years later, "past their prime" Rose, Sergio, and Casey are ranked BETTER now. Stenson is one spot lower.

Experience and preparation matter. All tremendous iron players. That’s the edge these guys have. Day in day out they know what it takes and have the stones to hit the necessary shots when it matters. Just because Paul Casey stumbles on Sunday on this side of the pond doesn’t diminish his ranking. He’s constantly in contention. If he could have overcome his Sunday woes he’s a Justin rose light.

DL3 was 51 when he won The Wyndham. Fred Funk and Craig Stadler both won on the PGA Tour at 50.

Yes sorry, I was going off the top of my head and yes funk and stadler won at 50. Let’s not forget Jay Haas making the presidents cup team at was it 49? I remember he was top 30 on the pga tour money list and almost won a bunch of times that year but kept getting beat on Sunday.

There’s also my grandfathers favorite player Julius Boros. Won like 9-10 times in his 40s and 2 majors his last being at 48!

Let's not forget rod Pampling won last year at 47 and stricker made like 1 million in earnings as a 51 year old. Davis love winning Wyndham in 2015 at @49. It's more and more possible. Experience matters.

Yes sorry, I was going off the top of my head and yes funk and stadler won at 50. Let's not forget Jay Haas making the presidents cup team at was it 49? I remember he was top 30 on the pga tour money list and almost won a bunch of times that year but kept getting beat on Sunday.

There's also my grandfathers favorite player Julius Boros. Won like 9-10 times in his 40s and 2 majors his last being at 48!

Julius Boros had such a great swing. Swing easy hit hard! Was a helluva player as well.

Not a closet fan, and I don’t hate Phil. My problem is the image Phil represents to the public. In my opinion Phil cares most about Phil’s image. His affection for the fans seems "manufactured." To me he’s like Cool Whip - full of air and without taste. I suppose with that much sponsorship money on the table it’s “necessary” for him to carry on with this “pageantry.”

Mr. Palmer seemed more real around fans. He was a genuine human being.

For reference:

Cool Whip is a brand of imitation whipped cream referred to as a whipped topping by its manufacturer, Kraft. It is used in North America as a convenience food. It does not have the same flavor and texture as whipped cream, and it costs nearly 50% more.

If JT doesn't hole a wedge on the last hole then Phil wins in regulation. Did you forget about that already?

Not a closet fan, and I don’t hate Phil. My problem is the image Phil represents to the public. In my opinion Phil cares most about Phil’s image. His affection for the fans seems "manufactured." To me he’s like Cool Whip - full of air and without taste. I suppose with that much sponsorship money on the table it’s “necessary” for him to carry on with this “pageantry.”

For reference:

Cool Whip is a brand of imitation whipped cream referred to as a whipped topping by its manufacturer, Kraft. It is used in North America as a convenience food. It does not have the same flavor and texture as whipped cream, and it costs nearly 50% more.

This is possibly the most "Ferguson" post you've ever crafted.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

For reference:

true fact about Mr. Palmer; but many on this site were never around to witness his awesomeness

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

If JT doesn't hole a wedge on the last hole then Phil wins in regulation. Did you forget about that already?

I referenced JT's putt on 17 as the exact point in time when the door was opened for others, namely Phil. Let's face it - the holed eagle on 18 was essentially good luck. Things then fell into place allowing Phil to come away the winner (which wasn't so much good luck as it was pure grit).

I referenced JT's putt on 17 as the exact point in time when the door was opened for others, namely Phil. Let's face it - the holed eagle on 18 was essentially good luck. Things then fell into place allowing Phil to come away the winner (which wasn't so much good luck as it was pure grit).

Nonsense. If JT makes the putt on 17 he would have been -15 and the door would still be open.

Let's not forget that Phil got unlucky when his punch shot out of the trees hit a spectator in addition to JT's luck holing the wedge. If anything luck was going against Phil and he won in spite of it.

Nonsense. If JT makes the putt on 17 he would have been -15 and the door would still be open.

Let's not forget that Phil got unlucky when his punch shot out of the trees hit a spectator in addition to JT's luck holing the wedge. If anything luck was going against Phil and he won in spite of it.

Ok I never in my life will defend Ferguson but on one hole Phil was going for the hero shot and his ball literally went completely through a freaking coniferous tree, that just never happens.

Ok I never in my life will defend Ferguson but on one hole Phil was going for the hero shot and his ball literally went completely through a freaking coniferous tree, that just never happens.

Is that the one where he went high to a window that the camera didn't show? I think what really happened is that he went underneath the closest tree and then over the one a few yards away, the camera just didn't have a good angle on it.

For reference:

Have you ever actually met Phil? Do you know anybody who has? Because I have twice, and he couldn't have been more genuine. Also, a member of my club played with him in a pro-am recently and said he was everything he appears to be - a great, friendly, and genuine guy. you continually bash the man, yet you never provide a single factual example to support your opinion. Weak. Maybe instead of imparting your own stupid brand of seagull management (flying in and shi**** all over everything) in every Phil related thread, you save us from having to read your lame baseless garbage posts and find other threads to post in.

Not a closet fan, and I don’t hate Phil. My problem is the image Phil represents to the public. In my opinion Phil cares most about Phil’s image. His affection for the fans seems "manufactured.". I suppose with that much sponsorship money on the table it’s “necessary” for him to carry on with this “pageantry.”

Excellent post. I tend to agree. Phil has a little Eddie Haskell in him. Did you see Phil notice the on him camera Sunday and then launch into his "I'll sign later in broken Spanish" spiel. Lol. That cracked me up. He's figjam. Enough said.

Not a closet fan, and I don’t hate Phil. My problem is the image Phil represents to the public. In my opinion Phil cares most about Phil’s image. His affection for the fans seems "manufactured.". I suppose with that much sponsorship money on the table it’s “necessary” for him to carry on with this “pageantry.”

Excellent post. I tend to agree. Phil has a little Eddie Haskell in him. Did you see Phil notice the on him camera Sunday and then launch into his "I'll sign later in broken Spanish" spiel. Lol. That cracked me up. He's figjam. Enough said.

You get it!! Finally, someone gets it!!

Thank you.

Gracias.

For reference:

Ill say this, I dont believe you dont hate him but thats a story for another time.Im a fan of tiger (and phil )and could care less about tigers pr manufacured image.He did a perp walk like 10 months ago and i dont care.Im glad he didnt kill anybody or himself. My only beef with tiger is i have seen up close during his prime how he treated people at the events and didnt like it. Phil on the other hand ive worked several events including presidents cups and skins games and hes doing stuff away from the cameras that Palmer would be proud of. If hes fake as you say then he deserves an Oscar. I believe hes a witty goofy corny dude. I was at torrey in 2015 and he just missed the cut by 1 I believe and watched him sign autographs for about 1 hour. he was constantly shaking his hand at the end because obviously he was cramping.he did every single one with a smile.No cameras around. he dinged some guy on the 15th and slipped him a 100$ and a signed glove.I watched him line up volunteers at the skins game and hand out crisp 100$ bills to all the young volunteers. Im not trying to prop up Phil or convince you of anything.I know he rubs people the wrong way which is just fine but to call him 100% fake is disingenuous. Justin thomas said so on sunday that Phil Spent time with justin when he was 17 and mentored him and they had correspondence where Justin kept him up to date on his results in college.Just like Mr. Palmer used to do...

Ill ask you this, why do so many young players gravitate to Phil?Getting a practice round in with him or into his money game has a waiting list. Like Ebrasmus said hes like the goofy dad who has insane game and can talk smack to boot.

On a closing note, ill acknowledge that tiger of the last 6-7-8 years has improved in my eyes a ton enjoying the moment and interacting with fans a little more and signing more. its great to see that.he obviously doesnt have the extrovert personality phil has but look at Nick faldo in his 50s.Guys done a 180 and has plenty of personality and is more outgoing. i think tiger will continue to do so and thats great for the game. people love that interaction (within reason of course)

Jack was the same way in his 30s like a switch went off. he was a little aloof in his 20s and then poof the spokesman/family man was born. tiger is slowly taking off the mask and feeling a little more comfortable in his skin after some embarrassing stuff happening to him.

Heck Duval was a boring monotone robot during his prime and look at him now!