The 2018 Masters Thread

Frankensteins Monster

Wow, what a Sunday at Augusta! So cool that Jordan and Rickie made big moves and made things interesting. Jordan, at 24, is already a Masters legend. :) And Rickie is just so popular and respected.

I have no doubt Rickie will win majors, but it looks like he's taking the Mickelson route. When he finally breaks through (it would be perfect at Augusta) it will be a hugely popular victory.

Hats off to Patrick Reed. It's difficult for most people to realize the pressure these great golfers are playing under, and Patrick handled it like a true champion.

As for Rory? What a crushing disappointment. He tried so hard to deflect the pressure he must have been feeling, but the weight of that pressure was too much. I have no doubt he will win the Masters someday.

At the very end of the broadcast, CBS showed a little montage of former champions expressing their emotional release after winning, and I'll never forget Nick Faldo's response after his 1996 victory. What he said captures the essence of what makes the Masters the Masters - "It's the most nerve-racking tournament in golf."

I have HUGE doubts About Rory winning this thing. See:

Johnny Miller

Tom Wieskopf

Ernie Els

David Duval

DL3

Don't forget Norman. Similar talent driving the ball to Rory. Similar collapses at Augusta.

Ah. I knew I was forgetting someone obvious.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duval was and is the man.

yes, one of the few/only dude to take down the GOAT in his prime in a major.

I don’t think he ever played against Jack!

Since you subtly drop the GOAT thing in about half of everything you post, I thought I’d go with the stock response from the old guard.

Just giving you a hard time man, even if I might disagree with some, your posts are always fair.

Agree on 13 .. sweet as is

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[

were you alive in 1967?

Not quite. Put it this way, I've seen great media of cool figures from that era. This pic ain't one of them. I don't think they attempted this look again with Nicklaus, for great reason.

Again, doesn't make him a bad person.

Think "tongue-in-cheek"....

I sure hope so. Cringey like this one was:

61Bg%2BRQuBJL.jpg

Some guys just can't sell the cool guy look.

You need to check your cool meter. Duval was as cool as golf gets when that SI came out. I still have my issue.

Crazy Rory had 7i into 2

Guys still have short irons into all par 5's .... except 8

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

They said Reed is the lowest ranked person to win The Masters since Schwartzel. I thought Willett would have been lower ranked but I guess not. Overall I would give this tournament a B this year. Final winner is a C for me while quality of leaderboard was an A. I wish either Tiger or Phil could have added more but at least they made the cut. This would have been an A if Jordan could have eagled 13 and parred 18 to win or if McIlroy could have pulled off the career grand slam. On the positive side Reed just didn't fall into the win he earned it.

Reed is a MUCH better player than Willett...

Since you subtly drop the GOAT thing in about half of everything you post, I thought I’d go with the stock response from the old guard.

Just giving you a hard time man, even if I might disagree with some, your posts are always fair.

Duval finished ahead of Jack in his last Masters charge in 1998.

Can we please quit referring to Tiger as the GOAT? He doesn't have the most wins, and he doesn't have the most majors.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

They said Reed is the lowest ranked person to win The Masters since Schwartzel. I thought Willett would have been lower ranked but I guess not. Overall I would give this tournament a B this year. Final winner is a C for me while quality of leaderboard was an A. I wish either Tiger or Phil could have added more but at least they made the cut. This would have been an A if Jordan could have eagled 13 and parred 18 to win or if McIlroy could have pulled off the career grand slam. On the positive side Reed just didn't fall into the win he earned it.

Now this we can agree on.

Rory continues to pile up scar tissue at Augusta. The missed putt on 2 hurt. Followed that up with a bogey, as well as a bogey on 5 after a stiff shot on #4. After 5, he didn't do anything.

Unforced error on #11 from way down in the fairway. Took a bogey on 8 after a poor drive.

On a day when only 11 people were over par, Rory shoots 74. It was brutal to watch.

I wanted literally anyone else on that leaderboard to win aside from Reed.

Should everyone else that played this tournament be ashamed they lost to Reed?

For anyone who hates villains, the past two masters must have been hard to watch. For the rest of us who like watching good golf, I don't think I saw Reed hit a bad putt the entire week. Probably the worst one I saw was the first one on 18 before he won the jacket.

I kind of agree with PGArox, I would like to see some longer irons in there. Mid iron seems like it removes a big percentage of the danger, these guys throw them up so high and they land so soft.

But it’s such a minor thing on a really great hole that it’s not worth worrying about.

Did Reed get really lucky when his ball stayed up, or was that normal for the day?

Can we please quit referring to Tiger as the GOAT? He doesn't have the most wins, and he doesn't have the most majors.

Tiger is the greatest player of this era, but Jack's win in '86 was monumental... and he is UNDOUBTEDLY the GOAT...

I'm MORE than happy to see Tiger win another one... it would be great for this game, but the fact that the young players now are better than young players in Tiger's heyday is gonna make that a hard feat...

Now this we can agree on.

See? Common ground can be achieved... ;)

Duval finished ahead of Jack in his last Masters charge in 1998.

Thank you Darth, I stand corrected on that.

Yeah but he's the goat. Depth of field comes into play, and length of time during domination

Now end of discussion, back to talking about how solid Reed played.

Should everyone else that played this tournament be ashamed they lost to Reed?

For anyone who hates villains, the past two masters must have been hard to watch. For the rest of us who like watching good golf, I don't think I saw Reed hit a bad putt the entire week. Probably the worst one I saw was the first one on 18 before he won the jacket.

The fact that he almost shot sub 70s all week is a testament to him deserving this win...

Yeah but he's the goat. Depth of field comes into play, and length of time during domination

Oh, you get to decide the final word on a discussion!?

goat_tw.jpg

So the wife and I have been talking about me getting a vasectomy for 6 months or so. Had my consolation appointment a few weeks ago and have mine scheduled for Thursday, first thing in the morning.

Here is to Thursday and Friday binge watching The Masters with no work, no kids and a house all to myself! Well, the frozen veggies/ ice packs will be with me every second, but they don't talk back or try to change the channel.

i guess we talk about everything on golfwrx so here goes- i went after school for my vasectomy, 2 quick needles on both side and 2 cuts and he was done, i felt absolutely nothing. Drove myself home and took my son to little league practice, went back to school the next day and said not a word to anyone. I think i was in his office for 30 minutes and was fine the next day. I know its a good reason to sit around and watch the masters, but u will be good to go

What are you thinking, man!! There are women that read this forum! Don’t blow it for all those poor fellas who are forced to suffer such a horrific procedure and then endure a recovery period with hours of relaxation while watching TV and being waited on by a sympathetic spouse/gf.

As Larry the Cable Guy might say; now that's funny right there. Who consoled you at your appointment? Guess you meant to say consultation appointment. Sorry, don't mean to flame, just found it funny.

Tiger is the GOAT!

• 79 PGA Tour wins, second all-time to Sam Snead

• 14 major championships, second all-time to Jack Nicklaus

• Only player ever to win four consecutive majors

• Lowest scoring average in PGA Tour history

• Scoring average of 67.79 in 2000 the lowest single-season average in Tour history

• PGA Tour Player of the Year a record 10 times

I don't think he ever played against Jack!

Since you subtly drop the GOAT thing in about half of everything you post, I thought I'd go with the stock response from the old guard.

Lee Trevino once said that if you didn't think Jack (in his 40's-50s) at the time couldn't still dominate the sport, you weren't paying attention. He got more in to course design and forging a future legacy for his family...

I concede Tiger is great... and I like Tiger, but Jack was/is the man...

Wow, what a Sunday at Augusta! So cool that Jordan and Rickie made big moves and made things interesting. Jordan, at 24, is already a Masters legend. :) And Rickie is just so popular and respected.

I have no doubt Rickie will win majors, but it looks like he's taking the Mickelson route. When he finally breaks through (it would be perfect at Augusta) it will be a hugely popular victory.

Hats off to Patrick Reed. It's difficult for most people to realize the pressure these great golfers are playing under, and Patrick handled it like a true champion.

As for Rory? What a crushing disappointment. He tried so hard to deflect the pressure he must have been feeling, but the weight of that pressure was too much. I have no doubt he will win the Masters someday.

At the very end of the broadcast, CBS showed a little montage of former champions expressing their emotional release after winning, and I'll never forget Nick Faldo's response after his 1996 victory. What he said captures the essence of what makes the Masters the Masters - "It's the most nerve-racking tournament in golf."

I have HUGE doubts About Rory winning this thing. See:

Johnny Miller

Tom Wieskopf

Ernie Els

David Duval

DL3

Don't forget Norman. Similar talent driving the ball to Rory. Similar collapses at Augusta.

Today was a bit letdown in the manner it happened but Rory was 3 back and didn't win. If he was 3 ahead and shot 2 over to lose to Reed, then I think you could call it a collapse.