Skipping holes as a single

moadhia

'Not sure why maintenance workers would be an issue. I've played dozens of rounds as the first one on the course, and you give them a wide berth. I've only encountered one course that wouldn't allow me out because of the maintenance crew.

It depends on when a course does their setup. My home course has asked me to play slower when i am the opening tee time because of how they do the pins and stagger the maintenance

It's happened to me a few times where i would get to the back 9 and the pins were not in yet. Or there were crew members on the greens so you couldn't hit shots in

I typically play in 2 hours as a single . The head of our greens crew asked the starter to talk to me about playing slower LOL

I've run into plenty of workers cutting the greens, setting pins, or grooming bunkers. I wait for them to finish unless they wave me up. If they're cutting the fairways, I wait until they're out of range. 'Never had an issue or a close call. On a recent trip to Florida I chatted with a few of the workers, and found out that some of them were from the Chicago area, and we swapped a few stories.

One time I was out solo when the starter caught me on the 7th hole 45 minutes into the round. He apparently didn't realize I would be moving so quickly, and told me I couldn't proceed to the 10th tee until the 2 hour mark due to workers on the back nine. So, instead of a 2 hour round it turned into a three hour round as I waited an hour at the turn. Other than that, I've never been prevented from playing through the crews.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Not sure why maintenance workers would be an issue. I've played dozens of rounds as the first one on the course, and you give them a wide berth. I've only encountered one course that wouldn't allow me out because of the maintenance crew.

It depends on when a course does their setup. My home course has asked me to play slower when i am the opening tee time because of how they do the pins and stagger the maintenance

It's happened to me a few times where i would get to the back 9 and the pins were not in yet. Or there were crew members on the greens so you couldn't hit shots in

I typically play in 2 hours as a single . The head of our greens crew asked the starter to talk to me about playing slower LOL

I've run into plenty of workers cutting the greens, setting pins, or grooming bunkers. I wait for them to finish unless they wave me up. If they're cutting the fairways, I wait until they're out of range. 'Never had an issue or a close call. On a recent trip to Florida I chatted with a few of the workers, and found out that some of them were from the Chicago area, and we swapped a few stories.

One time I was out solo when the starter caught me on the 7th hole 45 minutes into the round. He apparently didn't realize I would be moving so quickly, and told me I couldn't proceed to the 10th tee until the 2 hour mark due to workers on the back nine. So, instead of a 2 hour round it turned into a three hour round as I waited an hour at the turn. Other than that, I've never been prevented from playing through the crews.

I just find it can be annoying to wait on a tee, so what i typically do now when i play first is drop 10 balls in a bunker or something a few times on the front. Get some practice in to slow myself down.

Also the course asked me and we're private so i figured i'd oblige

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

if you are going to skip, do it on a par three. i feel that is where you can get away the easiest and not hold anyone up, and never skip to a par three.

If a single is skipping the current hole, and heading to the next teebox while the foursome ahead is walking on to the green, then any hole is as good as the next. I'll be hitting my 2nd shot from the fairway before they even walk off the green. Actually, I think a par 4 or 5 would be faster, as the next shot doesn't require reading a green, and likely two putting.

TBH - I've mentioned this before and I'll drone on again - Par 3s are the worst holes to play through on; unless they are some super simple 100 yarder with no trouble.

A 3-shotter par 5 or a mid-length par 4 is much better.

You can stretch out the two groups better on the same hole, off the tee and then one in the fairway, while the other completes the hole.

Apart from d1ckhead groups, I think one of the things that makes groups reticent to let someone play through is then being stuck on the tee when the next group approaches and they worry about becoming a turnstile for everyone behind them.

There is also less pressure on the group playing through, if they only need a decent shot off the tee to get going, instead of having to worry about hitting a green/avoiding bunker/hazard and then slapping it around the green, while the other group waits.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I should keep track of my par 3 scores when playing through. At a minimum I'm probably half a stroke worse when rushing to play through on a par 3. Lol. You just know you're going to dump the teeshot into a bunker, or thin one over the green.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

My stepson and I teed off in the morning, walking, no one in front. We played the first 3 holes well. I looked back a few times as I always do just to check behind us, no one. We get to #4, 165 par 3 and I put my ball on and my stepson trickles his shot into the water hazard left of the green. We get up there and had been looking for his ball for maybe a minute when a cart pulls up from behind us and the guy says hey can we play through, we have been waiting for every hole. I paused and said no you haven't, but OK and we sat on a grassy hill while we watched 2 out of the 3 behind us put their balls into the water. They dropped and finished out, and I looked at the one guy who got a GIR and he just shrugged as he got into his cart. We spent the next 5 holes waiting for them while they literally ran to and from their carts. On one short par 4 I waited on the tee while they hit, then I striped a 3w middle of the fairway and suddenly one of them comes from his cart back onto the fairway and my ball lands and rolls right by him. He raises his arms. I get to my ball to find he has stepped on it. They finally pulled away around #11, but only because they were sprinting back and forth to their carts.These guys were obviously WRXers who have read all the slow play threads and thought they were better than they were, and deserved to be let through the first time they have to wait more than 15 sec.

My stepson and I teed off in the morning, walking, no one in front. We played the first 3 holes well. I looked back a few times as I always do just to check behind us, no one. We get to #4, 165 par 3 and I put my ball on and my stepson trickles his shot into the water hazard left of the green. We get up there and had been looking for his ball for maybe a minute when a cart pulls up from behind us and the guy says hey can we play through, we have been waiting for every hole. I paused and said no you haven't, but OK and we sat on a grassy hill while we watched 2 out of the 3 behind us put their balls into the water. They dropped and finished out, and I looked at the one guy who got a GIR and he just shrugged as he got into his cart. We spent the next 5 holes waiting for them while they literally ran to and from their carts. On one short par 4 I waited on the tee while they hit, then I striped a 3w middle of the fairway and suddenly one of them comes from his cart back onto the fairway and my ball lands and rolls right by him. He raises his arms. I get to my ball to find he has stepped on it. They finally pulled away around #11, but only because they were sprinting back and forth to their carts.These guys were obviously WRXers who have read all the slow play threads and thought they were better than they were, and deserved to be let through the first time they have to wait more than 15 sec.

Now you've done it...the speedsters are gonna be in here shortly saying how this could never have happened and anyone who wants to play through, should, and is a saint that just wants to enjoy his 1.5hour 18-hole round!

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

LOL.... great. Matter of opinion. If you want to run your mouth (speaking of the guy on the course, not you) you need to have the ability to back it up. I was not in the wrong and would do it again. People aren't going to F bomb around my kids. You may allow it, but I will not and am not scared to speak up.

Interesting, now if someone uses the F bomb, you're not scared to speak up? But, that's not what your story stated. You didn't speak up, you physically choked someone. Quite different response.

This has made me more curious now. Where is the line to "speak up" (as it's now called)? Is it just the F bomb? What about DB? What would you consider to be the offending "trigger" word? What if someone gets mad because they got a look around their kids? Would that warrant a "speaking up"? Is that justified? I mean, one man's F bomb is another man's look?

It's truly unfortunate how immature our country has become where it's acceptable to choke someone over a word. An eye-for-an-eye indeed.

LOL.... great. Matter of opinion. If you want to run your mouth (speaking of the guy on the course, not you) you need to have the ability to back it up. I was not in the wrong and would do it again. People aren't going to F bomb around my kids. You may allow it, but I will not and am not scared to speak up.

Interesting, now if someone uses the F bomb, you're not scared to speak up? But, that's not what your story stated. You didn't speak up, you physically choked someone. Quite different response.

This has made me more curious now. Where is the line to "speak up" (as it's now called)? Is it just the F bomb? What about DB? What would you consider to be the offending "trigger" word? What if someone gets mad because they got a look around their kids? Would that warrant a "speaking up"? Is that justified? I mean, one man's F bomb is another man's look?

It's truly unfortunate how immature our country has become where it's acceptable to choke someone over a word. An eye-for-an-eye indeed.

It is actually unfortunate that you are afraid to show chivalrous behavior to woman and children. Yes, you do or say the wrong things around my kids and wife and I will challenge you verbally or physically. Because men don't stand up for moral behavior and what they believe is truly what is wrong with this country.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Apart from d1ckhead groups, I think one of the things that makes groups reticent to let someone play through is then being stuck on the tee when the next group approaches and they worry about becoming a turnstile for everyone behind them.

This is a fair point, but I don't care at all.

Let the group play through, and then let that experience light a fire under your Word not allowed and speed it up!

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

It is actually unfortunate that you are afraid to show chivalrous behavior to woman and children. Yes, you do or say the wrong things around my kids and wife and I will challenge you verbally or physically. Because men don't stand up for moral behavior and what they believe is truly what is wrong with this country.

There is NOTHING chivalrous or courageous in the behavior you exhibited here, nothing and that you think it is "moral behavior" additionally beggars belief:

I had a threesome once that wouldn't allow my daughter to play through at a private club. I was driving and she was playing. There was no one in front of them. As we drove by I smiled and waved. One of the guys threw an F bomb as well as other obscenities at us as we drove by. I calmly turned my cart around and drove back to confront them. No one was going to use that language in front of my daughter. I grabbed the driver out of his hand with my left hand while grabbing his throat with my right hand and pushed him up against his cart. Told him if he ever talked that way around my daughter again I would beat his $%^$.

"Excuse me guys, we're going to skip ahead a hole here, hopefully you don't mind, but it's just my daughter playing. We won't hold you up. Thanks"

And off you go to the next hole. If he still drops the profanity, by all means stern words are in order...

But instead you don't say a word, which leads to you being part of a double-act of showing your daughter some awful and disrespectful human behavior and committing assault on top of it.

I truly hope she and her mother are not inured to such spectacles from you.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Truly unbelievable that you can defend your actions as "moral" and "correct". I'm sure you order dinner for your wife and daughter at restaurants because clearly women cannot do anything for themselves and must be defended by a MAN.

The polite thing to do is advise the group in front (not necessarily ask) that you are skipping.

"Hey guys, I'm just going to skip around and jump ahead - have a great day."

But maybe that's too much to ask.

No wonder you guys play alone.

I had a threesome once that wouldn't allow my daughter to play through at a private club. I was driving and she was playing. There was no one in front of them. As we drove by I smiled and waved. One of the guys threw an F bomb as well as other obscenities at us as we drove by. I calmly turned my cart around and drove back to confront them. No one was going to use that language in front of my daughter. I grabbed the driver out of his hand with my left hand while grabbing his throat with my right hand and pushed him up against his cart. Told him if he ever talked that way around my daughter again I would beat his $%^$. His buddies were in awe. I then drove to the pro shop to tell the pro what happened. The guy was fined by the club and eventually left. Apparently, he had done these things before and the club has a policy to let smaller groups or faster groups through. I don't think I have ever been that hot in my life.

Bottom line, people not letting others play through or to skip a hole are more in the wrong.

So a guy cusses in front of your kid and that offends you, but you grab him by the throat and threaten to beat his Word not allowed, and that is somehow ok? lol, ok tough guy, sure thing.

Sure, he was an a**, but you’re lucky you didn’t get yourself killed in front of your kid. If you had done that to someone in my group (none of which would have said anything to you for skipping in the first place), you would not have walked away on your own legs. The police would have been retrieving you from the hospital to put you in jail for assault.

I used this skip ahead occasionally at my club, but a foursome of old bitties got mad at me and asked me to go back behind them because they didn’t ask me to play through. I was really ticked but did and was not shy about hitting right up on them at every chance I got. They weren’t terribly slow but were bitter old ladies I guess.

I can sort of understand though. Some of the guys at our club are arsehats and so they probably assumed I was one too. We have one guy who always plays as a single, isn’t very good, and is notorious for skipping around the course. He has ridden up on me (as a single) twice...once while I was putting and once while I was preparing to hit from the fairway. And no, I wasn’t playing slow. Both times I had to wait on him at the next tee box. So I accosted him about it the second time. He couldn’t fathom how this had made me mad.

Anyway, I’m not wanting to be that guy, I now always wait until I am waved through. 85% of the time they do to my satisfaction. The other 15% stinks, but is the price I pay for being a single I guess.

I play as a single pretty often, usually during the week when the courses are not very busy. If I'm stuck behind slow groups, I'll get in some chipping or putting practice while they're teeing off. Often, they'll wave me through or ask me to join them. If not, and there's a group behind me that's caught up, I'll skip ahead. I don't ask for or need their permission, and they won't see me again the rest of the round.

So far as any verbal or physical encounters on the course, I'm not about it. I'm there to have fun, and I refuse to let anyone steal my joy. I'd rather leave and get a rain check. I have more important things in life to do than get onto a fight on a golf course.

More important things than to get into a fight ANYWHERE unless absolutely necessary. I can take getting called names, I can explain to my daughter that some people are A-holes.

Walking away poses no risk.

Being the instigator of a physical confrontation has very few positive outcomes. And it has some truly catastrophic ones.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I played as a single last week. The group in front of me was a foursome. They were moving along pretty well but of course me playing alone, I was right behind them on every hole. Frustrated at not being allowed to play through ( I never asked them to let me) I skipped a hole and went past them around hole 7. One of the guys from the foursome comes up to me on the next tee and starts yelling that I can't jump in front of them without asking. I told him I skipped a hole for which I don't need permission from them. In the past , people always let me play through as a single. This was a very weird encounter.

What do you guys do if you are playing as a single behind a group that doesn't let you play through ?

I do exactly what you did. In fact, I did it today. I played the first four holes and was caught behind a threesome. I drove up and told them that I was going to skip to the sixth hole. When I arrived at the sixth, there was a group teeing off. Without comment, I drove directly to the seventh tee box and played away without incident. I caught a twosome on the eleventh hole. They asked me to join them and we finished the round as a threesome.

I should add, I am a member at a very high end, semi-private club. We don't get a lot of public play, maybe 20-30 per day. Therefore, when I do play as a single, most people on the course recognize me and either ask me to join them or let me play through.

Don't know how big you are, but for the sake of argument, would you have physically attacked the guy if he was 6 inches taller and muscle bound?

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how big you are, but for the sake of argument, would you have physically attacked the guy if he was 6 inches taller and muscle bound?

6 inches taller would make him 6'10". Have never seen a guy 6'10" on a course. I generally find taller people to be more docile. I actually am very laid back, but cursing and yelling around women children hit a nerve. I conceal and carry for a reason. Always have a pistol in my bag as we have a lot of gators, foxes, boars, and at times bobcats on our course.

Oh... and you can keep posting. I said it in this thread and will say it again "If the situation happened again I would handle it the same exact way." In my opinion I am right and you are wrong. I don't let people walk all over me.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Well I certainly feel better now knowing that if someone got the upper hand in a fight YOU STARTED, you could always just shoot him.

But hey, in your opinion you are right. So everything is good

SMH.... really

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Well I certainly feel better now knowing that if someone got the upper hand in a fight YOU STARTED, you could always just shoot him.

But hey, in your opinion you are right. So everything is good

SMH.... really

In this case, So Much Hubris...

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

I played as a single behind a threesome yesterday. I took my time and laid back. At hole five they asked if I'd like to play through.

I said, " no thanks, I'm not in a hurry, enjoy your game".

I played 18 in 3:20, played deliberately, scored well, and enjoyed myself. Golf doesn't always need to be rushed.

What ?

They offered to let you play through but, they did not offer to have you join their 3-some ? Poor etiquette !

It is a simple fact of a single player following the 4-some on a golf course, nothing less and nothing more !

Common sense and courtesy prevail as in other parts of life. If one drives behind a Semi Truck on a one lane roadway, the Semi is close to posted highway speed limit , how does one proceed to pass the semi ?

Use caution to observe if other traffic is in front of the semi, if the front is clear and the opposite traffic is cleared for the passing speed, flash the head light and proceed with caution. The semi will flash their head lights when it;s safe for you to come back into the lane. It'll be stupid if the semi does not allow the other car to pass it, even worse, the semi speed up a little for awhile just to discourage the followed vehicle to pass.

Golfers seemed to lose their common sense when they have a golf club in their hands. They become entitled and mean spirited.

Many a time in the past I over heard the group in front that they don'r want anyone to pass them. I was either by myself or in a group less than 4-some. One of the golfers in front would suggest to let us play through and I'd hear a loud reply of "NO they can wait "..........I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THESE PEOPLE COME FROM..........Had they allow a faster group to pass into the empty holes ahead, they would have a better time of not being pushed on every shot and we would have a better time going faster at our pace.

They had brought the bad habit from the roadway to the golf course. No one taught them the etiquette when they started the game of how to behave on a golf course. I can't remember which country but one of the Scandinavian origin not only require the golfer to have minimal skill to get on the golf course but also a classroom lesson about the rules and etiquette. It is required because of the shorter golf season and less number of golf courses.

Oh... and you can keep posting. I said it in this thread and will say it again "If the situation happened again I would handle it the same exact way." In my opinion I am right and you are wrong. I don't let people walk all over me.

As I understand the law, when you put your hands on the guy, you committed assault. He would have been perfectly within his rights to call the cops and have you handcuffed and taken off, leaving your daughter stranded and in tears. A fine example for a parent to set.

It's because golfers came from all walks of life in this country.

However, it's relatively easy to spot someone whom shouldn't be giving advise to the others.

^^^^^at least for internet diction

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

I should keep track of my par 3 scores when playing through. At a minimum I'm probably half a stroke worse when rushing to play through on a par 3. Lol. You just know you're going to dump the teeshot into a bunker, or thin one over the green.

In my opinion, the toughest shot in golf is the "playing through" tee shot on a par 3.

I played as a single behind a threesome yesterday. I took my time and laid back. At hole five they asked if I'd like to play through.

I said, " no thanks, I'm not in a hurry, enjoy your game".

I played 18 in 3:20, played deliberately, scored well, and enjoyed myself. Golf doesn't always need to be rushed.

This is me. I am becoming a bit tired of the speed golf obsession. I am happy to plod along behind a four ball and most of the time deliberately hang back to avoid being asked to go through. When playing alone I get in a lovely rhythm and often score well. Getting called through bursts the bubble and often wrecks a good round.

I often note that people behind you appear to be single figure golfers til you wave them through, and they turn into hackers