Pebble Beach Vacation

On 1/5/2022 at 5:28 AM, Roody said:

Stay at Spanish Bay. That is where my wife and I stayed on both of our visits. It guarantees you advance tee time, and it's a little more laid back than the Lodge. 

And seconding @Mnalette on the Spyglass recommendation. Spyglass is actually my favorite of the three, and they're all great courses. 

The Inn @ SB is very nice, but I wouldn't worry about the Lodge being stodgy. I stayed at the lodge last fall with my dad and we had a great time and you have a few more options for food and the nice practice facility is right there as well.

Gallery Cafe is perfect for breakfast (no reservations, quick service, AMAZING cinnamon roll (share it with someone)). The new Mexican restaurant at the Hay is pretty good as well (although it didn't blow my mind, was still good and we were there in the first couple of weeks it had been open), plus all the stuff in the lodge itself (have to go to the Tap Room at least once). 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My father and I are going to Pebble next winter, staying at the Inn-SB.  Anyone play The Hay?  I think we may try that as a warmup, before SB, PB, SGH, in that order. Also would consider Poppy, but we cannot book that far out. Very excited to finally do these courses with my father. Been a lifelong dream of mine. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX

2 hours ago, wolverine_man said:

My father and I are going to Pebble next winter, staying at the Inn-SB.  Anyone play The Hay?  I think we may try that as a warmup, before SB, PB, SGH, in that order. Also would consider Poppy, but we cannot book that far out. Very excited to finally do these courses with my father. Been a lifelong dream of mine. 

I would highly recommend Poppy. I believe they closed some greens to renovate them. I think all are back open, but I would check with them. 

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Thanks, I'll check back as our trip gets closer and the window opens up for tee-times. Poppy's very 'democratic' online tee-time system is quite refreshing.  You can see exactly what's available and the greens fees without any phone calls and secrecy.  

Both great courses I hope to golf. We will have to se if we can fit them in. 

We'll probably be playing all three courses plus The Hay in a couple of months. It was a nice day yesterday so my wife and I drove down to Pebble and had breakfast/lunch at Stillwater Bar & Grill . Because we have connections at the restaurant we were seated outside at a table for 6 overlooking the 18th green. We've also known our waiter for ~25 years or so it was nice to see him.

We started with California toast which is smoked salmon, local mixed greens, avocado puree, red onion, cucumber, tomato, lemon caper dressing, rustic sourdough, dill. Then my wife had two eggs scrambled with applewood smoked bacon, breakfast potatoes and rye toast and I had live Monterey bay red abalone with wild mushroom and forbidden rice pilaf, daikon sprouts, broccolini, unagi sauce, crunchy garlic oil. Everything was delicious to say the least

On 2/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, buckI said:

If you are ok with an hour or so drive look at Pasatiempo over Poppy.

What he said! Pasa is better than any of the courses at Pebble.

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

We will likely swap out Spanish for Pasa, or add Pasa the day before.  Plenty of time as this trip isn't until next January.  We have a reservation at the Tap Room at Pebble for after the round there. I figured it is convenient and has some history.  Will checkout downtown Carmel the other nights we are there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolverine_man said:

We will likely swap out Spanish for Pasa, or add Pasa the day before.  Plenty of time as this trip isn't until next January.  We have a reservation at the Tap Room at Pebble for after the round there. I figured it is convenient and has some history.  Will checkout downtown Carmel the other nights we are there. 

If you guys are flying into SF or San Jose you will literally be driving right by Pasa. It’s 2 minutes off the freeway. Definitely worth the stop.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Right, that sounds good. I plan to fly into San Jose with my wife, and meet my parents who will already be in the Carmel area.  Renting a car, obviously. 

• 1 month later...

I need some help. My wife and I are planning on going out in April 2023 for our 20th wedding anniversary. I won hundred percent I’m going to play pebble but can’t decide if we want to stay at a pebble resort or are going to stay off property. I will be the only one playing golf. Do you guys recommend me doing the two night minimum or do you think I could easily get on one of the four days we are there? I would have an option of playing Tuesday through Friday. I can stay on property but hard to justify the extra costs if you think I can get on the course. 

On 4/17/2022 at 10:15 AM, whitehead31 said:

I need some help. My wife and I are planning on going out in April 2023 for our 20th wedding anniversary. I won hundred percent I’m going to play pebble but can’t decide if we want to stay at a pebble resort or are going to stay off property. I will be the only one playing golf. Do you guys recommend me doing the two night minimum or do you think I could easily get on one of the four days we are there? I would have an option of playing Tuesday through Friday. I can stay on property but hard to justify the extra costs if you think I can get on the course. 

If you're not staying at the property, then you have to call the pro shop either the day before or the day of when you wanna play. And then you have to hope they have an opening. 

My two cents, and it's worth about that, is you should stay at the resort so you can lock in your tee times. It's not the time to cheap out, IMO. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

37 minutes ago, whitehead31 said:

I pretty much have decided to stay there. I actually called today to book a tee time just to check and see even though my trip isn’t till 2023. They had one available at 3:45. That’s not going to cut it. Thanks for all the advice 

That's kinda what I expected. I wouldn't want to pay $575 to get stuck with a tee time where there's a strong chance you'll be playing the last few holes in darkness. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

16 hours ago, I3erto said:

more fun to watch the sunset w/ a beer at inn at spainish bay w/ the bag piper or on the patio just off the 18th when you finish pebble..  cheers!

Agreed! We watched the sunsetters come up 18 from our window view inside Stillwater Grill. The last couple of groups were completely reliant on the lights they had up around 18 green. The pic below was our view, but I'm pretty sure I took it before it got too dark. Meaning there were other groups coming in after this. 

Photo Aug 31, 10 49 43 PM.jpg

Edited by Roody
  • Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this post, as the months seem to be flying bay. I actually just finished a round at Erin Hills on Sat, which had me thinking about this upcoming trip.  

What seems to be the final consensus on staying at the Inn SB vs the Lodge PB?  We are booked at the Inn, but my wife plans to come along now too (in addition to my father).  The other consideration is the practice facility located at The Lodge. How close are the two properties? Do I go "all in" and book the The Lodge, or save a few pennies and remain at the Inn? Staying the two night minimum. 

3 hours ago, wolverine_man said:

Revisiting this post, as the months seem to be flying bay. I actually just finished a round at Erin Hills on Sat, which had me thinking about this upcoming trip.  

What seems to be the final consensus on staying at the Inn SB vs the Lodge PB?  We are booked at the Inn, but my wife plans to come along now too (in addition to my father).  The other consideration is the practice facility located at The Lodge. How close are the two properties? Do I go "all in" and book the The Lodge, or save a few pennies and remain at the Inn? Staying the two night minimum. 

If both are available and finances arent a concern the Lodge is a better place to stay.  More to do around the course, especially if you can book an oceanfront.  Really no comparison as far as ambiance and access to the pebble vibe.  A practice putting green is located within walking distance of the lodge.  I enjoy going out a little later in the day and rolling a few putts for quarters.  The actual practice facility is more convenient to the Lodge, but not greatly so.  In both cases you will need to take a shuttle.  The Inn at Spanish Bay will have a shuttle leaving every 15 minutes, and it is a 15 minute ride or so to practice.  Same for the return.  There is a dedicated (at least during tee time hours) shuttle from PB to the practice range (2 minute ride).  Not sure if it has a hard schedule, it seems to load up and go when people are ready.  Same with the trip back. Not too many walk to the practice area.  I have stayed at the Inn at spanish bay and it is a great resort, but to my wife there is no comparison to the ocean front lodge accomodations.   

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

If both are available and finances arent a concern the Lodge is a better place to stay.  More to do around the course, especially if you can book an oceanfront.  Really no comparison as far as ambiance and access to the pebble vibe.  A practice putting green is located within walking distance of the lodge.  I enjoy going out a little later in the day and rolling a few putts for quarters.  The actual practice facility is more convenient to the Lodge, but not greatly so.  In both cases you will need to take a shuttle.  The Inn at Spanish Bay will have a shuttle leaving every 15 minutes, and it is a 15 minute ride or so to practice.  Same for the return.  There is a dedicated (at least during tee time hours) shuttle from PB to the practice range (2 minute ride).  Not sure if it has a hard schedule, it seems to load up and go when people are ready.  Same with the trip back. Not too many walk to the practice area.  I have stayed at the Inn at spanish bay and it is a great resort, but to my wife there is no comparison to the ocean front lodge accomodations.   

Thank you. This is very insightful information and exactly what I was looking for. 

14 hours ago, vallygolf said:

For clarification, are the actual finishes and quality of the rooms at PB much better than at SB, or is it primarily the views on select ocean-view rooms? 

1 hour ago, wolverine_man said:

For clarification, are the actual finishes and quality of the rooms at PB much better than at SB, or is it primarily the views on select ocean-view rooms? 

Many of the Lodge rooms have been recently updated.  Specifically those fronting the 18th fairway and green.  Im not sure about the other non prime lodge rooms, except the new fairway-one rooms which are new.  Historically the Inn at Spanish Bay has been considered to have better finishes as it is newer, but I think the renovations at the Lodge have brought it on par or better than the Inn.  The biggest difference is location.  Inn at Spanish Bay has a bagpiper (at least they used to) at sunset which is cool, that you can enjoy a drink and a piper.  You dont have to be a guest at the resort to enjoy it. (same shuttle can take you to see it)

On 9/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, wolverine_man said:

Having stayed at Spanish Bay both times we went, the only comparison I have to the Lodge is from the times we went over for dinner at Stillwater or the Tap Room. We walked through it, it was very very nice. But one of the things we absolutely loved about Spanish Bay was going out to the firepits each evening, sipping cocktails, enjoying the view, and waiting for the bagpiper to do his/her daily thing. 

You really can't go wrong with either place, IMO. I think the only difference is price, and the Lodge didn't feel quite as "resort casual". The best part is, no matter where you stay you can always shuttle over to the other place and enjoy its aspects. We went over to the Lodge one afternoon and hung outside at The Bench, which has firepits and overlooks Pebble 18. That didn't suck. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Glad this conversation has picked back up. This is more of a question for people that’s gone more recent. Is there any way to play the front nine at spyglass at a reduced rate or twilight. As of now they don’t have a twilight or nine hole rate. I know they did in the past.  I’m going for my 20th anniversary next spring and playing pebble. My wife doesn’t want this to turn into a golf trip but I think she would enjoy playing  the front 9 with the scenery but I can’t justify paying full. Thx for any advice given. 

I'm actually headed out to Pebble in 3 weeks as part of an anniversary trip.

When we booked the only rooms available were at Casa Palmero, which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. I'll report back once we get back.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

16 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I'm actually headed out to Pebble in 3 weeks as part of an anniversary trip.

When we booked the only rooms available were at Casa Palmero, which I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. I'll report back once we get back.

You will love Casa Palmero.  Limited number of rooms more of a health spa vibe (it is basically at the spa).  Stayed here twice when the Oceanfront rooms were already booked.  Basically the same price as the oceanfront with more seclusion and amenities on site.  

Edited by vallygolf

4 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

You will love Casa Palmero.  Limited number of rooms more of a health spa vibe (it is basically at the spa).  Stayed here twice when the Oceanfront rooms were already booked.  Basically the same price as the oceanfront with more seclusion and amenities on site.  

Yeah, it definitely looks pretty chill.

I just looked at the calendar, we're actually there in two weeks. Woot!

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

2 hours ago, whitehead31 said:

Glad this conversation has picked back up. This is more of a question for people that’s gone more recent. Is there any way to play the front nine at spyglass at a reduced rate or twilight. As of now they don’t have a twilight or nine hole rate. I know they did in the past.  I’m going for my 20th anniversary next spring and playing pebble. My wife doesn’t want this to turn into a golf trip but I think she would enjoy playing  the front 9 with the scenery but I can’t justify paying full. Thx for any advice given. 

Just got back from PB and had an evening round at Spyglass. I do not believe they reduce greens fees for twilight rounds. We had the last guaranteed to finish tee time and I heard the group behind us still paid the same greens fee as us.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x