2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2018 United States Open

Darth Putter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would the course still be “lost” if the event was played as a par 72 this year? Me thinks not and that people would be forced into praising the USGA for an amazing set up.

Good question.

Seriously ... Tie at the top of the leaderboard at -3 and everybody is amped for an exciting Sunday.

Really? I see no one saying the score is the problem. The greens are the problem.

I don't care if the 18th is a par 4 or 5, but the ball should not roll 10 feet past when you tap it from above the hole.

I don't care what par is, but when you land the ball 8 ft right of the hole with no spin, the ball should not just roll ten feet and into a bunker like koepkas did on 16

I feel for the super and the grounds crew who are at the mercy of the clowns at the USGA. This is one of the best, most beautiful courses on the planet, and the USGA has made a mockery of it.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Wow.. Chamblee is actually 100% correct in what he just said on the GC. Stimp meter has destroyed the game for the classic courses. You cannot run the speeds like this on greens like this.

I tend to agree. Greens that are a little slower and a little softer and more accepting to reasonably placed approach shots make for much more engaging viewing, more exciting play and less luck and more skill involved in choosing a winner. I think if they just softened the greens a bit and slowed them down and maybe tightened up some of the fairways a few yards you'd have a dozen or so guys between E and -5 by the end of the tournament. Watching guys just survive the course to win instead of battling to win isn't nearly as much fun, even if it is satisfying to watch DJ shoot the same score on the front nine as I did yesterday :taunt:

SO I go out and follow my kids match and come back to find that they have let this get out of hand. Lol. Davis andhis goobs are just too greedy when it comes to this course. It’s a shame. Could have been a goood tournament. I’m sure al those who missed the cut on the line are glad they did.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I feel for the super and the grounds crew who are at the mercy of the clowns at the USGA. This is one of the best, most beautiful courses on the planet, and the USGA has made a mockery of it.

I used to wish the US Open would return to Oak Hill, a Donald Ross gem near me. But I'm guessing the membership doesn't want the usga ruining their beautiful golf course.

False fronts and backs are unfortunately one of the classic design features the have been lost by the boring bland green design era of the last several decades. Another mostly lost feature are bunkers that play as real hazards.

When people see these in the current era they cry "not fair!"

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

SO I go out and follow my kids match and come back to find that they have let this get out of hand. Lol. Davis andhis goobs are just too greedy when it comes to this course. It’s a shame. Could have been a goood tournament. I’m sure al those who missed the cut on the line are glad they did.

No actually they aren't if they stayed status quo they would be 4 shots off the lead!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Rose losing concentration.

This is a great test for the most disciplined mind that can stay razor sharp in the face of constant torment and torture.

Between 1960 and 1982, the great Jack Nicklaus finished inside the top 10 in 17 U.S. Opens, including a stretch between 1971 and 1982 where he missed the top 10 only once, and it was by a single stroke.

I can not recall Jack whining, moaning and complaining about how unfair or ridiculous the USGA set ups were, or calling it clown golf.

the reality is DJ putted terrible today and it wasn't the "green's"fault ... 20 putts on the front, 38 overall, three 3-putts is unacceptable. He got exactly what he deserved as a score ...the course did its job, DJ did not

When you have to putt defensively, that’s not dj fault lol. This wasn’t even golf. You don’t go from being that on fire with your short game to what happened today.

This is a great test for the most disciplined mind that can stay razor sharp in the face of constant torment and torture.

Between 1960 and 1982, the great Jack Nicklaus finished inside the top 10 in 17 U.S. Opens, including a stretch between 1971 and 1982 where he missed the top 10 only once, and it was by a single stroke.

I can not recall Jack whining, moaning and complaining about how unfair or ridiculous the USGA set ups were, or calling it clown golf.

That’s because the usga didn’t set the course up like clown golf back then. The usga is a clown anymore and it’s sickening that people defend it.

Because it wasn't clown golf back then. It was a great GOLF tournament, a fair tough test to showcase the players. Something the USGA seems to have forgotten how to do...the USGA of late is acting like a bunch of drama queens who only want attention, even if its negative.

the reality is DJ putted terrible today and it wasn't the "green's"fault ... 20 putts on the front, 38 overall, three 3-putts is unacceptable. He got exactly what he deserved as a score ...the course did its job, DJ did not

[media=]

[/media]

When you have to putt defensively, that's not dj fault lol. This wasn't even golf. You don't go from being that on fire with your short game to what happened today.

if you mean "defensively" as in a foot by rolls 20 feet off, thats just not true. putters go cold and hot all the time ... his went cold today, and he got the score he deserved

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I swear if they let the courses own Super set the course up like he would for there own club championship not a soul would be complaining about the course, greens or the -7 leading it. Why is it the course and the USGA always have to be center stage for the US Open. It should be about the GOLF.

It's the egos at the USGA that drive this. They want to be the "tough guy" of the golf world, to show their courses are unbeatable. Instead, they often prove their course is unplayable. What other tournament all year do we see the greens turning a solid brown color at lunch on SATURDAY????? It's ego that leads to irresponsible. Every year, they story is about how the USGA screwed up the course setup. It gives Mike Davis his 15 minutes of fame every year.

Wow.. Chamblee is actually 100% correct in what he just said on the GC. Stimp meter has destroyed the game for the classic courses. You cannot run the speeds like this on greens like this.

I've posted the same thing here already and on a few other threads.

Pre WW2 greens on classic "difficult" high quality courses were designed with heavily sloping greens and never ever meant to be played so fast. It's truly stupid. They didn't have the greenskeeping technology and mowers to even try it. The original designers would be absolutely appalled at what is going on.

They were designed to be difficult at about 8 or 9 on the stimp. And of course there was no stimp meter then.

Anything designed before 1940 should never be played faster than about 10.....and yes....that includes Augusta National, Pinehurst, Oakmont, etc.

All these modern course designers and renovators they hire to work on the old courses always talk about "being true to the intentions of the original design", but they don't even listen to themselves when it comes to the greens.

LOL. are you serious?

I agree 100% with this IF THE GREENS ARE UNCHANGED.

But Coore and Crenshaw have been all over Shinnecock for a long time. They know the US Open was the goal. The greens should be built for modern speeds. No excuse.

And honestly, they're not pushing much more speed on the green than Shinnecock would for a major member-guest. Hardness? Yes. Speed, not much.

Most ridiculous statement of the day... they restored the course to play as it was intended. Did you want them to shave off slopes? And destroy the brilliance of the greens? Absolutely absurd! Maybe they should shave slopes at St Andrews while they're at it so they can get the speeds up... the fascination with green speeds is ridiculous. Guess what.. hitting a putt uphill on a slower green with a ton of contour is also a skill.

Glad to see my three picks, DJ, Rosie and Grace are still in it.

On a different note I would like to add that I have met some really nice people from New York. I guess they just didn’t go to the US Open. ;)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Perhaps it's time for the USGA to build their own course (ie; like the PGA did for the players) and hold the open there every year. This way, if they muck up the course, no big deal, they'll have a whole year to try and get it back. Rendering courses boarder line unfair and watching the course deteriorate during the course of play, is not IMO, growing the game.............

That’s because the usga didn’t set the course up like clown golf back then. The usga is a clown anymore and it’s sickening that people defend it.

Are you kidding? At the "Massacre at Winged Foot," in 1974, the rough was seven inches high ... eight or nine in the odd places ... and Jack himself putted off a couple greens.

In 1972, at Pebble Beach, the cut was +10 and Jack won it at +2. Second place was +5 and third was +6. Believe me, those guys saw some brutal set ups in their day.

They also didn't trick up greens like they do now.

Glad to see my three picks, DJ, Rosie and Grace are still in it.

On a different note I would like to add that I have met some really nice people from New York. I guess they just didn't go to the US Open. ;)

Think of it as a National Stereotype Appreciation Day - New Yorkers, USGA, a guy called Phil...

Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 Aldila Rogue Silver
Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 3i, Recoil 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
Callaway MD4 54, 58
Ping Sigma G Kinloch C

Because it wasn't clown golf back then. It was a great GOLF tournament, a fair tough test to showcase the players. Something the USGA seems to have forgotten how to do...the USGA of late is acting like a bunch of drama queens who only want attention, even if its negative.

The players who normally contend on a "fair" set-up are the same players contending on this supposedly unfair course. What might this imply?

[media=]

[/media]

When you have to putt defensively, that's not dj fault lol. This wasn't even golf. You don't go from being that on fire with your short game to what happened today.

if you mean "defensively" as in a foot by rolls 20 feet off, thats just not true. putters go cold and hot all the time ... his went cold today, and he got the score he deserved

Lmfao, I can’t anymore. So many people on here think that pro level short game is like ours and can just go hot and cold. When the tv cameras caught him saying I can’t hit it any ******* harder then that or I’m ******* ten feet past the hole if it doesn’t hold ha nothing to do with him being “cold”. The usga is a joke for even letting this course get like this again. Usga should put bumpers on the edge of the greens to complete the circus for them.

a good test of golf today for the best in the world....cut the whining

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Thats because the usga didnt set the course up like clown golf back then. The usga is a clown anymore and its sickening that people defend it.

Are you kidding? At the "Massacre at Winged Foot," in 1974, the rough was seven inches high ... eight or nine in the odd places ... and Jack himself putted off a couple greens.

In 1972, at Pebble Beach, the cut was +10 and Jack won it at +2. Second place was +5 and third was +6. Believe me, those guys saw some brutal set ups in their day.

And players said it was a farce then.

They also didn't trick up greens like they do now.

id like to know what people mean by "trick up". back in the day when these courses were built winning scores were much higher than they are now ... for example, in 1900 Vardon won the US Open with scores of 79, 78, 76 & 80. this shows OPen courses have been made easier over time, and if anything the USGA is closest to making the game play truest to its roots

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

How about 14 today?

536 par 4. Closest approach was more than 30 feet away. Average score 4.6. Zero birdies. 34 pars.. 33 bogeys or worse.

67 of the best players in the world and not a single birdie. Is that just really a hard hole, or is that stupid?

Should have been an easy par 5 instead, but they wanted ti limit red numbers.

The USGA needs new leadership, same old story every year about how they messed up the setup. The focus needs to be on setting things up for great golf, great golf being played on the best courses on the planet should be more than good enough. I don't get this fixation of the course needing to be brutal, you start to manipulate the course too much and you end up with a clown show. Setup the course as it was meant to be setup and then let the chips fall were they may.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s