G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

Which has the deeper face, the G400 or G4oo Max?

I'd say it's a wash.

Ping-G400-Max-driver-faces.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Both faces measure 68 mm on the photo, and 76 mm from the top of the club to the bottom of the sole. If there is any difference, it's minimal.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I played with a G400 Max this past weekend (10.5*, stock Alta CB shaft). I definitely liked the club, but not overwhelmed to the point where I feel I need to buy one today because it's a "game changer." Main points worth highlighting:

-I caught 7 drives pretty well. On 5 of the 7, I was no farther down the fairway than where I've been with my Titleist 910 D2 (taking rough average of well struck drives from many prior rounds in comparable wind direction/speed). 1 of the 7 was actually shorter, and the last of the 7 was probably 10-15 yards longer than comparable drives with the Titleist.

-I do feel like the G400 Max had a bit flatter trajectory, and the ball seemed a bit more stable into the wind or in a crosswind (guessing spin may be lower although the G400 Max also had slightly less (stamped) loft). Unfortunately, the turf where I play is very soft, and you aren't going to get any roll regardless (beyond a yard or two). Maybe the Ping would seem a lot better on firmer fairways where the ball can run-out a bit.

-The Ping did seem to retain a bit more distance on a few bad swings (10 yards maybe). However, I was in the rough and a ways back from a well-struck drive (i.e. reasonably bad mishit), so not sure how much this will really change things (i.e. probably the same reason some people don't feel like blades vs. CBs/GI do anything to really change their score).

Again, I liked the club, and will probably look to pick one up later this year if the price ever drops. But the variance in my swing is probably responsible for more than any difference in clubs...

I played with a G400 Max this past weekend (10.5*, stock Alta CB shaft). I definitely liked the club, but not overwhelmed to the point where I feel I need to buy one today because it's a "game changer." Main points worth highlighting:

-I caught 7 drives pretty well. On 5 of the 7, I was no farther down the fairway than where I've been with my Titleist 910 D2 (taking rough average of well struck drives from many prior rounds in comparable wind direction/speed). 1 of the 7 was actually shorter, and the last of the 7 was probably 10-15 yards longer than comparable drives with the Titleist.

-I do feel like the G400 Max had a bit flatter trajectory, and the ball seemed a bit more stable into the wind or in a crosswind (guessing spin may be lower although the G400 Max also had slightly less (stamped) loft). Unfortunately, the turf where I play is very soft, and you aren't going to get any roll regardless (beyond a yard or two). Maybe the Ping would seem a lot better on firmer fairways where the ball can run-out a bit.

-The Ping did seem to retain a bit more distance on a few bad swings (10 yards maybe). However, I was in the rough and a ways back from a well-struck drive (i.e. reasonably bad mishit), so not sure how much this will really change things (i.e. probably the same reason some people don't feel like blades vs. CBs/GI do anything to really change their score).

Again, I liked the club, and will probably look to pick one up later this year if the price ever drops. But the variance in my swing is probably responsible for more than any difference in clubs...

THANK YOU !!!

And the difference in the CLUB, if any, is the SHAFT.

NO driver HEAD hits it any further than any other driver HEAD for over 10 YEARS; ever since they've all "maxed out" the COR/CT in their driver heads.

You MIGHT, due to manufacturing variance get a slightly hotter head that'll give you an extra TWO yards. Good luck finding it.

The rest is getting fit for the right shaft for YOUR swing. The shaft makes at least as much difference as the head, possibly more.

The MAX is a "higher" spinning and more forgiving head. "Too much" spin equals LESS distance. The fact that it's "higher spinning" means you need(?) a lower launching and/or spinning shaft to get the spin down to get your MAX distance.

:hi:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The MAX is a "higher" spinning and more forgiving head. "Too much" spin equals LESS distance. The fact that it's "higher spinning" means you need(?) a lower launching and/or spinning shaft to get the spin down to get your MAX distance.

I have a 10.5* Max and that is what I am trying. Currently have Tour Green, Rogue Silver and AD-BB7 to try this spring.

While the max might spin a bit more than some drivers. It's not by much. I recently picked up a cheap SLDR S off the bay to test low spin vs the max and I can say it wasn't close. The max was consistently longer, much more playable, and even felt better.

The max is a really special golf club.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I have a 10.5* Max and that is what I am trying. Currently have Tour Green, Rogue Silver and AD-BB7 to try this spring.

Just bought a tour green 75x and played it in my standard g400 9 degree head and it seems to have brought spin down more than the atmos black 7x i had before.

Will get some launch monitor numbers comparing the tour green and atmos in both my head and a 9 degree max.

Going to the Max I didn't find any distance, probably lost a little bit. What I do find is that I hit more fairways than I have ever hit before because on my bad strikes the result is nowhere near as bad as I would get with my previous drivers. I know by feel when I have "missed" the middle of the club and I will instinctively look way right because that is where my s*** shots go - continually amazed in that whilst the shot is still going right it is only marginally offline with the Max. not a massive block or a slice. that is the difference I find in this club - bad shots are less "bad"

Anybody here want to sell there gmax with Alta or tour 65 stiff or regular, please let me know.

Not sure you could pry my Max/Tour65 from my cold dead hands.

Sorry...

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just bought a tour green 75x and played it in my standard g400 9 degree head and it seems to have brought spin down more than the atmos black 7x i had before.

Will get some launch monitor numbers comparing the tour green and atmos in both my head and a 9 degree max.

Did not have my atmos with me but i hit the tour green in both 9 degree heads. And the max was roughly 10 yards shy of the standard head. I was consistently 280 carry at 2600 spin with my g400 and max was like 267-270 spinning at 3000 sometimes more. I had similar low misses on both and the standard head shot up to maybe 3000 spin where the max would go up to 3500 at times . Think ill go with an lst. Didnt see much in forgiveness difference. Sound/feel is awesome with standard head too.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally figured out how to hit the G400Max properly...just order a TS2 to replace it. Today was supposed to be the final round with it before the TS2 arrived and naturally I had the best driving round of my life.

Hold on to the Max even if it is in the backup bag and let us know how you get on with the TS2 and how it compares

Looking toward to G410 Plus...Holy Cow!!! Thread

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while, but hate the stock Ping shafts. Tonight there was a used Max at my GG with a Tensei Pro White shaft. This was a game changer. The Max is definitely the most forgiving head I’ve hit. The combo with the Tensei Pro White was getting me better results than the Rogue with Even Flow or Synergy or the Epic with Hzrdus Yellow.

2 questions: In YouTube reviews I've seen with this driver, it seems like the testers get less ball speed with the head compared to most on the market. Have you guys found that to be true?

And second, how much spin have you been able to cut with aftermarket shafts relative to the stock Tour shaft?

I keep feeling like i'll death threats for saying this, but i honestly think it's an overrated driver. Certainly nothing wrong with it, it's very very forgiving, one of the most forgiving drivers on the market. But i don't get great ball speed or distance with it. My Epic SZ is longer, my Cobra F8+ is longer, and not by a small amount, maybe 10yds on an LM (i hit it far so 10yds is only about 3% or total distance but still)

I don't think it's worth of a 100 page thread. The G LS i used last season is every bit as good. I mentioned it earlier but i spin this club more with a 80g black tie than my F8+ with a 65 gram NV 2kxv. And by 300-400rpm

Again, it's not a bad driver, it's just not a ground breaking one for me

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 questions: In YouTube reviews I've seen with this driver, it seems like the testers get less ball speed with the head compared to most on the market. Have you guys found that to be true?

And second, how much spin have you been able to cut with aftermarket shafts relative to the stock Tour shaft?

I keep feeling like i'll death threats for saying this, but i honestly think it's an overrated driver. Certainly nothing wrong with it, it's very very forgiving, one of the most forgiving drivers on the market. But i don't get great ball speed or distance with it. My Epic SZ is longer, my Cobra F8+ is longer, and not by a small amount, maybe 10yds on an LM (i hit it far so 10yds is only about 3% or total distance but still)

I don't think it's worth of a 100 page thread. The G LS i used last season is every bit as good. I mentioned it earlier but i spin this club more with a 80g black tie than my F8+ with a 65 gram NV 2kxv. And by 300-400rpm

Again, it's not a bad driver, it's just not a ground breaking one for me

I also feel like it's overrated but for a totally different reason. I have hit my longest ever drives with it but it's the small number of lofts and lack of adjustability that makes it unsuitable for me.

I'm a low launcher and spinner whose miss is a hook so I need loft and an open clubface. If PING had made a 12 degree Max it would probably have been perfect for me. The G410 addresses the adjustability but sacrifices some forgiveness. The TS2 in 11.5 gives me what I need with more MOI than G410.

I'm curious how opinions on the Max vary based on Handicap.

My guess is they are directly correlated

Shazam !!!

You really ARE curious, aren't ya ? :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X