G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

This is the best looking, best feeling driver I’ve ever hit in my life but I just can’t get the spin down. It’s 20 yards shorter than my old sub zero and that’s being generous. It is a big time fairway finder though. I’ve played 7 rounds with it and it’s almost scary how straight it goes. I’ll look up after a bad strike expecting the ball to be left of cart path and it ends up left center fairway. But I just can’t get by how much it spins. It’s one of those situations where I’ll get to my ball and it will be sitting about 4 feet behind it’s ballmark. I am looking forward to the new lst though. I’ll be very interested to see how it performs. For what it’s worth, I’ve got a 9 degree set to the lowest setting with the ping tour 75x shaft 44.5 in. with a d4 sw. SS is 118+/-.

Have you tried a low spin ball. I get 500+ RPM difference between a Taylormade Project A and a Callaway Supersoft.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I had some flashes of brilliance, as well as some major inconsistency, with my G400 Max this past season. And there I was out on a freezing course the other day in NJ, and I decided to choke down at least an inch, and lo and behold, much more consistent with the Max. This was almost too obvious, that I never really did this during an actual round. So off I went to have my Tour (65 R) and Alta (55 S) each cut down to 44.25" (1" off the Tour, 1.5" off the Alta), and I think I'll be back on track.

The G400 Max is a phenomenal driver, and any issues I was having was me and my swing (taking into account that I don't get along with long shafts). And I still have my G400 SFT around, which I think might also come to life now with the shorter shaft. I had success (and failure) with each of the Tour and Alta shafts, so I look forward to giving them each a run in their now shorter configuration. I do definitely love the Tour shaft though, so I suspect that will still prevail.

P.S., I know it has been discussed before, but when I removed the grip on the Tour 65 shaft, it is still in fact a UST Mamiya shaft.

I was a bit surprised to see that Bubba Watson plays with only a 44.5" shaft.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Went back to store and got on gc2. Hit a few different shafts and really liked the tour 65 stiff. Good flight and spin. Just ordered a shaft on ebay to go in my G400 Max. Numbers looked good. Will be fun test verse my 2 other shafts (alta cb and aldila rogue max)

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Gave in and have 9* max in the mail. Will be stiff competition against my LTD pro so we'll see how the dispersion and distances compare but am worried the higher trajectory reported from the max will be an issue. Will report back in a week or two.

If the spin is right, height is good thing

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I am still hitting a lot of fairways with the G400. Love the driver. It started to look a little closed to my eye at setup, but, I was hitting nice draws into the fairway. Sometimes harder draws, and, I started to struggle with alignment. So, I took my 10.5 down to the big minus and it looks more square to me and alignment is easier. Still hitting high draws but more controlled and easier to align. Did the same with my G400 5w and 3w and same result. Looks better at setup and is even better with on-target shots. More worried about face angle appearance than loft. Worked.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Gave in and have 9* max in the mail. Will be stiff competition against my LTD pro so we'll see how the dispersion and distances compare but am worried the higher trajectory reported from the max will be an issue. Will report back in a week or two.

Please do. I have the LTD Pro as well, and looking at this exact switch

I love 45 degree days in December, as I get to go out on an empty course, and test and try things out at my convenience. I believe I had mentioned above that I was having some consistency problems with my G400 Max, and that choking down seemed to be doing the trick. So I had both my Tour R flex and Alta 55 S flex shafts cut down to play at 44.25”.

Spent a few hours on the course yesterday and today with those two shafts, and my G400 Max 10.5* and G400 SFT 10* heads. A few observations, all for my game and in my humble opinion.

The G400 Max is a vastly superior head compared to the G400 SFT. It is significantly more forgiving, and simply a much straighter driver. Whatever purported draw bias is built into the SFT doesn’t really cause you to hit better or straighter drives. At least compared to the G400 Max, which is an exceptional head.

The Tour R flex shaft works much better for my game compared to the Alta 55 S flex. I tried both shafts in both heads, and the Tour shaft is simply a better shaft for me.

Cutting an inch off of the Tour shaft seems to be a game-changer for me. I had thought that simply playing it stock at the shorter length compared to the Alta would be good enough, but it wasn’t. Playing at 45.25” was still too long for me. Even in this cold weather, and with layers on, I was hitting the ball off the tee much more consistently. Really a significant improvement with the shorter shaft.

Bottom line—I feel very good going into next season with the G400 Max 10.5* with Tour R flex shaft, playing at 44.25”. The G400 Max is really an incredible driver once you get it dialed in. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I had some flashes of brilliance, as well as some major inconsistency, with my G400 Max this past season. And there I was out on a freezing course the other day in NJ, and I decided to choke down at least an inch, and lo and behold, much more consistent with the Max. This was almost too obvious, that I never really did this during an actual round. So off I went to have my Tour (65 R) and Alta (55 S) each cut down to 44.25" (1" off the Tour, 1.5" off the Alta), and I think I'll be back on track.

The G400 Max is a phenomenal driver, and any issues I was having was me and my swing (taking into account that I don't get along with long shafts). And I still have my G400 SFT around, which I think might also come to life now with the shorter shaft. I had success (and failure) with each of the Tour and Alta shafts, so I look forward to giving them each a run in their now shorter configuration. I do definitely love the Tour shaft though, so I suspect that will still prevail.

P.S., I know it has been discussed before, but when I removed the grip on the Tour 65 shaft, it is still in fact a UST Mamiya shaft.

I was a bit surprised to see that Bubba Watson plays with only a 44.5" shaft.

Why ? When you swing 120 plus a half inch shaft length is worth some control. But very little speed if any. Not to mention his total leverage counting arms and all is likely more than a 5ft 9 person with a 47 inch driver.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I love 45 degree days in December, as I get to go out on an empty course, and test and try things out at my convenience. I believe I had mentioned above that I was having some consistency problems with my G400 Max, and that choking down seemed to be doing the trick. So I had both my Tour R flex and Alta 55 S flex shafts cut down to play at 44.25".

Spent a few hours on the course yesterday and today with those two shafts, and my G400 Max 10.5* and G400 SFT 10* heads. A few observations, all for my game and in my humble opinion.

The G400 Max is a vastly superior head compared to the G400 SFT. It is significantly more forgiving, and simply a much straighter driver. Whatever purported draw bias is built into the SFT doesn't really cause you to hit better or straighter drives. At least compared to the G400 Max, which is an exceptional head.

The Tour R flex shaft works much better for my game compared to the Alta 55 S flex. I tried both shafts in both heads, and the Tour shaft is simply a better shaft for me.

Cutting an inch off of the Tour shaft seems to be a game-changer for me. I had thought that simply playing it stock at the shorter length compared to the Alta would be good enough, but it wasn't. Playing at 45.25" was still too long for me. Even in this cold weather, and with layers on, I was hitting the ball off the tee much more consistently. Really a significant improvement with the shorter shaft.

Bottom line—I feel very good going into next season with the G400 Max 10.5* with Tour R flex shaft, playing at 44.25". The G400 Max is really an incredible driver once you get it dialed in. YMMV.

I was not hitting my G400 Max very good at all with the Alta 55 S either. I have played Titleist drivers for a few years and have really became partial to the shorter length stock shafts. I had 2 Diamana Kai'li shafts so I decided to pull the Titleist adapter and put on a Ping adapter on one of them and I love the results. There is a great thread going if you have not seen it about shorter shafts and the Max.

http://www.golfwrx.c...t-would-i-need/

Edit: I also like cold days where only us nuts are on the course. Hot days as well!

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Can anyone compare the 915d2 ( which i game) versus the standard g400?

Might be the time to treat myself with a new driver....

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Hit the max. I dare you.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hit the max. I dare you.

this sound like a challenge. I am always up for a challenge.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Hit the max. I dare you.

Hype is real. Straightest thing I’ve ever hit. I got in a groove and started a 20 ball string that faded less than 5 yards and flew inside a 10 yard window. That was out of the middle. But hit several stinkers that just went straight. Shaft dependent though of course. I hit it with a familiar friend. The synergy proto , that shaft just likes me. Also hit it with a Kuro kage silver 60 and just couldn’t get it reigned in. Flew high and much more fade biased. Felt counter balanced.

I guess point is I don’t see much difference between it and the regular 400 as far as looks. But the max just wants to climb straight. And fall right a hair.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hit the max. I dare you.

Send me a dozen Titleist AVX. I dare you. :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 weeks later...

I had shop credit to burn so ordered a G Max 9 degree with Hzrdus Yellow in stiff. My regular driver is an M3 with Tour AD IZ in X.

So far the Max has performed as advertised. It's very confidence inspiring and easy to hit straight or with a slight draw. I'm finding a reliable fade a touch more difficult as I've experienced some pulled double crossers but it may be the shaft is a touch softer than what I'm accustomed to?

About twice per round I absolutely pound this thing out there much longer than normal with no extra effort. I've had it happen both downwind and into, but I'm guessing it's coming off the face with lower spin than normal for me. Anyone else experience this? Is there a spot on the face that produces a hot flight/ lower spin? The damned thing is so forgiving and stable across the face it doesnt provide a ton of feedback so i cant tell...lol!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I had shop credit to burn so ordered a G Max 9 degree with Hzrdus Yellow in stiff. My regular driver is an M3 with Tour AD IZ in X.

So far the Max has performed as advertised. It's very confidence inspiring and easy to hit straight or with a slight draw. I'm finding a reliable fade a touch more difficult as I've experienced some pulled double crossers but it may be the shaft is a touch softer than what I'm accustomed to?

About twice per round I absolutely pound this thing out there much longer than normal with no extra effort. I've had it happen both downwind and into, but I'm guessing it's coming off the face with lower spin than normal for me. Anyone else experience this? Is there a spot on the face that produces a hot flight/ lower spin? The damned thing is so forgiving and stable across the face it doesnt provide a ton of feedback so i cant tell...lol!

:D . I just posted about this "phenomenon(?)" the other day - Extra CHS ? in a Titleist thread.

"Theory" being we often don't have our moving parts moving perfectly. Moving very well ? Yes, but not perfectly.

Titleist Pro V1X

I have had the same. It’s not a “ high spin” head. If you middle one just a touch toe side you can get a really low spin ball.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have had the same. It’s not a “ high spin” head. If you middle one just a touch toe side you can get a really low spin ball.

I figured that might be the deal

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Quick question.....anyone try their Max with a HZRDUS T1100 ???

I’m interested as well... love my T1100 but too low of spin in my epic sub zero

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

For the folks that swing around 105 mph what loft and shaft did you go with?

Surely you realize that the right shaft for YOU revolves around a LOT more factors than swing speed, yes ?

Titleist Pro V1X

I finally got mine on a decent LM with the black Tie shaft. I didn't have my best day swinging the club but on well struck balls it was a bit higher spin than I'd hoped. This was expected somewhat.

This definitely won't be the longest driver I've played, both my Epic SZ and F8+ are a good 5-10 yards longer at least in an LM setting, they come out lower and are flatter ballflights. I'd probably need to play the MAX at like 7.5 degrees to get the most out of it

It's stupid easy to hit straight though. It had the cleanest dispersion pattern I've had in practice in a while and I wasn't even swinging well

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I am a little late to the G400 MAX party, but I was in a funk with my driver(yes I know a new driver won't fix it). The PGA SS near me has old GC2's in most of their bays, but since I knew my numbers with my F8+, I took it in to get a baseline to compare to. I get some of the best launch numbers I have ever gotten(outside of the F85 from Srixon) with the F8+, So I did not expect to get as good numbers with the Max, but it was close.

Clubhead - Speed (within 1 MPH of each other)

Ballspeed - (Max better by 4MPH on average) Best hits the F8+ was 3 ahead

Spin - F8+ was better by 600 RPM's

Launch - Max was a better launch window while maintaining a square look at address(this has always been my number on issue with drivers.

Best hits with each - F8+ won here(of course it does have a custom shaft in it. Ping has a Tour 65 in it right now), but only by a few yards. However factoring in bad swings, the Ping's average was better.

Dispersion - Um, not even close. The Max just wants to go into the fairway.

Bought it and played on Saturday. My ball position is still my major issue with the driver, but I hit it 7 times and all but the worst swings went where they were supposed to. Even as wet as it is on our Par5 -16th hole I hit a drive that went further than any I have hit since summer time(It was 52* and super wet on Saturday)

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Amazing how choking down brings accuracy, and sometimes distance. On 18 (flat til you get 100yds out) saturday I went full length on the 12° rapture and hooked the heck out of it. Choked all the way down and hit it left side of fairway 235yds, which is long for me these days. (Bad shoulder...) had been swinging the 16° all day (180-200) which is straight down the middle.

I envy you younger/healthier golfers that can get benefit from the max. It is a beautiful club!

Ok, I'm replying to my own post to provide an update. The Max is now permanently in my bag and has dethroned my M3. It is not as long best for best, but it finds fairways and is very confidence inspiring.

My only issue is that it flies a bit too high and spins quite a bit even with the HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 which is supposed to be low launch and spin. Maybe should have gone 6.5?

Today I'm going to get a Ping adapter installed on my Tour AD IZ X flex to see if it will help flatten the flight and lower spin. I was professionally fitted for this shaft so I'm hopeful.

All in all this club is incredible though...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball