G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

2 questions: In YouTube reviews I've seen with this driver, it seems like the testers get less ball speed with the head compared to most on the market. Have you guys found that to be true?

And second, how much spin have you been able to cut with aftermarket shafts relative to the stock Tour shaft?

I don't think it's worth of a 100 page thread. The G LS i used last season is every bit as good...

While there are plenty of personal preference reasons why someone might not like a driver, the problem is that some things are purely objective and the G400 MAX is measurably 15% more forgiving than the G LS Tec, so you can't really say it is every bit as good based on that alone. Your personal experience may have yielded similar/better results but mishits WILL suffer more on a lower MOI driver regardless of personal opinion.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I’m curious how opinions on the Max vary based on Handicap.

My guess is they are directly correlated

Ya.... not really, bunch of guys on the Tour use it and they arenʻt with Ping.

I’m saying that those that DON’T like the 400 Max are likely skewed towards lower handicap players that want a driver that is more workable

I simply have a hard time believing that most high handicaps wouldn’t be excited about measurably more fairways hit

I posted this in another thread. I have to say the max is excellent. I have been playing a g30 for 3 seasons now and just picked up a max. The max is definitely a better club in terms of feel, sound and definitely forgiveness. It's almost as if you can go after the ball harder because the max inspires confidence.

For reference, I am a 6.0 index with a driver SS of 92 or so. I believe this club is perfect for us mere mortals. For higher ss players, it might spin too much unless using a 9 degree head and a low spin shaft.

I'm curious how opinions on the Max vary based on Handicap.

My guess is they are directly correlated

My handicap has ballooned to a 2.7 from a +1.8 in about 1.5 years. The biggest chunk has been due to my inconsistent driving. Of course my proximity is down, because it's harder to hit it close from the woods. However, even on fairway shots my proximity is down a smidge.(accounts for 1.2 shots a round). I switched to the G400 Max and based on the couple of rounds and a little bit of time on the range I expect that to be fixed. Is it as long as my F8+? Yes, a yard or two isn't a big difference on well struck shots. Is it as long as the Flash? Yes as well. The Max is so much more forgiving, my swing is crap as I have only played 3 times since Thanksgiving, but in a round full of horrible shots this past Sunday, only one of them was off the driver. It was on a hole where I NEVER hit driver but figured why not give it a whirl since I needed some birdies.

There are four others at my club with a Handicap below 3 and one with a plus 1 that are all playing the G400 MAX. Our cart guy just graduated and is playing the mini tours and is sponsored by Ping. He still has the Max in his bag as well, but has been trying the new 410. Maybe my club and I are outliers.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

2 questions: In YouTube reviews I've seen with this driver, it seems like the testers get less ball speed with the head compared to most on the market. Have you guys found that to be true?

And second, how much spin have you been able to cut with aftermarket shafts relative to the stock Tour shaft?

I don't think it's worth of a 100 page thread. The G LS i used last season is every bit as good...

While there are plenty of personal preference reasons why someone might not like a driver, the problem is that some things are purely objective and the G400 MAX is measurably 15% more forgiving than the G LS Tec, so you can't really say it is every bit as good based on that alone. Your personal experience may have yielded similar/better results but mishits WILL suffer more on a lower MOI driver regardless of personal opinion.

I didnt post that the G LS was just as good based only on forgiveness. For me it was just as good based on the combination of spin and forgiveness in the real world, and whatever that means to people

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I played a g series for 2 years hit it well no complaints got a max a few months back and this biggest difference I notice is when I catch the drive low on face with the g I was lucky if it went 200 now it goes at least 230-240. It is the miss hit ugly swing drives that just seem to be better

Completely agree with this. The overall averages seem to be much better in terms of distance and dispersion with the max.

I finally figured out how to hit the G400Max properly...just order a TS2 to replace it. Today was supposed to be the final round with it before the TS2 arrived and naturally I had the best driving round of my life.

Hold on to the Max even if it is in the backup bag and let us know how you get on with the TS2 and how it compares

I had a range session with both, then a practice 9 holes and today I had my first round with the TS2.

I can tick the primary box as to why I bought this driver. It is fade biased, at least how I set it up (D1, minus 0.75 degrees loft). I tried C1 (0.75 flat and -0.75 loft) but it was too fade biased. The G400Max lofted up was too draw biased for me.

Feel: the TS2 feels much softer and more muted, which I prefer.

Distance and forgiveness: My good drives were as long or slightly longer than the Max. Average drives were similar and bad drives were similar to slightly shorter. Overall the TS2 may be very slightly hotter and the Max very slightly more forgiving.

Accuracy: I hit 50% fairways which (sadly!) is good for me, especially for a first outing with a new driver. The problem was that some misses were really big.

I think there were 2 contributing factors to the big misses. I let the fitter talk me into a 45.5" shaft. I am much more comfortable around 44.75" and the top of the backswing and transition feels funky with such a long club. The fitter said that I can always shorten the shaft but I can't lengthen it. The other issue is trusting that I need to aim down the left side of the fairway now. I have spent a long time aiming down the right and fearing the hook so this feels weird (exactly what I wanted but still requires an adjustment).

All in all, a promising first outing for the TS2 and I should be able to dial it in more by shortening the shaft and experimenting with the adapter settings.

• 5 months later...

I just put the 9* G400 MAX into play shafted with the Aldila 125 MSI x stiff. This is the longest carrying driver I've ever played. OMG it carries like no other driver I've ever played. I've been playing Simi Hills Golf Course in Calif for the past 20 years and those of you who know this course #14 with water on the right. I carried the longest part of this lake 270-275 carry from the back tees. I've never been able to do that before. Was about 7 yards short of the putting surface after the roll out. And prior to that at Porter Valley CC the 11th hole is a 277 yard par 4 that requires all carry to drive the green as it's an elevated. Into a slight gentle breeze I carried it 270 and drove the green barely flying the front bunker that guards this green(lasered the flag and bunker before teeing off so it's legit). While I've driven this green before never have I done so into the wind. This driver is crazy long and so forgiving. I havn't posted a driver review in years as everything I've played were all the same. But this G400 MAX is something special or was it the shaft. :)

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I have a confession... I hated this driver. I gave it the ole college try for 3 rounds and it was spinny, too high of a launch and it went everywhere but straight. I also thought the sound was not so great. I’m sure it’s a great driver for many, just not for me and I never really got along with Ping drivers.

> @RH82 said:

> I have a confession... I hated this driver. I gave it the ole college try for 3 rounds and it was spinny, too high of a launch and it went everywhere but straight. I also thought the sound was not so great. I’m sure it’s a great driver for many, just not for me and I never really got along with Ping drivers.

same

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

To high, spinny and draw bias for me

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

• 4 weeks later...

> @"Little Ned" said:

> Will a G30 adapter work on the Max?

Yes

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

> @"jeffrey r" said:

> > @"Little Ned" said:

> > Will a G30 adapter work on the Max?

>

> Yes

>

>

Thanks. Selling my barely used 9* as I needed more loft of the 10.5*. Had someone asking if their G30 shaft would fit

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

One of the things that amazes me about this driver are toe hits. Every driver prior to the G400 Max would snap hook off of toe shots. That is not so with the Max. Most of the time they are nice draws or shots that go left but stay in play. My dispersion is so much better with the Ping. The Max inspires so much confidence that I swing harder and thus hit it a bit further than usual without any loss in accuracy.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

• 1 month later...

Initially, I found the G400 max ( 10.5, Tour 65s, small minus hosel setting) too high launching and no straighter than my Cobra LTd and 2016 M1 drivers.. I was having buyer remorse and considered selling it. It took a bit of work to get the Max dialed in. but now, its easily my favorite.

I tried an Aldila RIP 60 and a UST Chrome both at 45,25 and neither was better than the Tour 65. The Chrome at 44,25 ( 18 g weight) was heavy and boardy feeling. The Chrome is usually my go to driver shaft, but it just didn't work in the Max

The RIP at 44" was the clear winner for the Max . Straighter and noticeably lower spinning than the Tour 65 and surprisingly good feeling . The RIP by contrast was terrible in both the LTD and M1 drivers. and neither driver was better at 44".

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

> @enduro said:

> Initially, I found the G400 max ( 10.5, Tour 65s, small minus hosel setting) too high launching and no straighter than my Cobra LTd and 2016 M1 drivers.. I was having buyer remorse and considered selling it. It took a bit of work to get the Max dialed in. but now, its easily my favorite.

>

> I tried an Aldila RIP 60 and a UST Chrome both at 45,25 and neither was better than the Tour 65. The Chrome at 44,25 ( 18 g weight) was heavy and boardy feeling. The Chrome is usually my go to driver shaft, but it just didn't work in the Max

>

> The RIP at 44" was the clear winner for the Max . Straighter and noticeably lower spinning than the Tour 65 and surprisingly good feeling . The RIP by contrast was terrible in both the LTD and M1 drivers. and neither driver was better at 44".

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Funny.....the Tour 65 is supposedly the Chrome in disguise

I picked up one this season (played Cally for years) 10.5 turned to 9.5 with tour 65S. Im a tweener swing speed wise and was worried the tour 65s might be too much for me. But I have been very pleased with the Max. Consistently longer then the Cally GBB that I played...in other words I am hitting the Max to places consistently that I only got to when I striped the Cally. When I do stripe the Max...its crazy long compared to the Cally.

I would like to try other shafts...just to see if something a bit less stout would work better...Anyone have any luck with Evenflow blue in the Max. I have that in my G410 hybrid and really like it.

Put this driver in play today for the second time in a LONG time. First round was paired with an Aldila Rogue silver 70s, this time I had it with a VS Proto 60x. The 60x launches it higher and feels better but overall, I just dont think the Max is for me.. I think it's down to mostly sound and feel but I have not been swinging my best lately and expected this driver to help me through the struggles but it has been disappointing... Considering going back to the regular G400 head, was always better for me.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 3 weeks later...

I spent an hour and half with very popular Ping dealer/fitter in my area two days ago. I went in with my 400LST with the 100% idea of getting a Max after reading all these positive posts about the Max

However my LST 10* just out performed the Max even though we tried numerous lofts and shafts with the Max..

The fitter told me I needed to stay with my LST

I guess it shows everybody is different .

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

> @jswjr said:

> I spent an hour and half with very popular Ping dealer/fitter in my area two days ago. I went in with my 400LST with the 100% idea of getting a Max after reading all these positive posts about the Max

>

> However my LST 10* just out performed the Max even though we tried numerous lofts and shafts with the Max..

>

> The fitter told me I needed to stay with my LST

>

> I guess it shows everybody is different .

>

>

Max was way to draw biased for me. And also high spinning. Even with the hzdus t1100 shaft.

Lst was way better for me as well.

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Been toying with a G400 max today after focusing on hitting more fairways, hit a big one on GC2 which span 1877 backspin and went 320 yards.

Those numbers are not much less than my LST under good conditions, but that was not an average, but my point is I'm an amateur off 11 with a big belly, bad grip and bad swing which goes ok from time to time, its goes to prove its possible to keep the spin low down on this thing.

The way some people have been talking its like the thing is physically incapable. Its not.

P.S.

This club does not sound nice on the course, its really quite close to the Ping g30, got that sorta tinny baseball bat noise to it which is not nice.

Doesn't sound bad on the sim, trust me, on course or in the range, I feel a bit embarrassed about the noise it makes at the range.

Be prepared for that, if your club head speed is sub 100 it might not be so bad.

> @Kale_m said:

> > @jswjr said:

> > I spent an hour and half with very popular Ping dealer/fitter in my area two days ago. I went in with my 400LST with the 100% idea of getting a Max after reading all these positive posts about the Max

> >

> > However my LST 10* just out performed the Max even though we tried numerous lofts and shafts with the Max..

> >

> > The fitter told me I needed to stay with my LST

> >

> > I guess it shows everybody is different .

> >

> >

>

> Max was way to draw biased for me. And also high spinning. Even with the hzdus t1100 shaft.

>

> Lst was way better for me as well.

Dang it, I should have found this thread before pulling the trigger on a max to pair with a hulk 6.5TX. Might be a quick one and done test if it starts going left lol