2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Whats the deal with poker chips?

poker chips? ... i use mondo markers ... much bigger than a poker chip ... HUGE! ... can't afford a fancy, large car or other motorized phallic symbols, so i use MONDO markers ...

Golf-Mondo-Mark-Poker-Chip-Ball-Mark-Eagle.jpg

“Could you move that 6 to the left?”

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

so i did a little math based on the number of posts vs how long north butte has been on this site and i come up with him posting over 20 times a day on average

Someone needs to get a life����

No it is 11.3 posts per day (and 7.9 “Likes” per day), actually.

The heck with getting a life. Sounds like someone needs remedial arithmetic classes. My guess is you did the day counting wrong and came up with 487 instead of 852 days between 5/9/2016 and 9/7/2018.

Not withstanding the irony of you declaring I spend too much time posting, while at the same time attempting and failing to properly count up the number of days I’ve been a member here.

Perhaps you should add my name to your Ignore list and save yourself the burden of keeping track of my post count. Let me know if you need some help figuring out how to do that, I always have time to help out a friend.

Good lord people.

I have carry both a challenge coin and small marker. If it's not in anyone's line, or i leave myself a long putt I'll use the larger marker. I do this so I have a clear view of my line. My eyes suck. If it's in or near someone's line use a smaller marker.

Pretentious d-bags need to relax

Isn't it much more pretentious to assume that everyone is interested in seeing your gigantic ball marker, that is for a completely different hobby?

No actually, it isn't. I want people to be aware of my ball marker so they don't step in my line. I also want to be able to see it.

That’s absurd. People managed to stay out of each other’s lines for the previous 250 years before poker chips came around. Also, if you can’t see a quarter, you need glasses/contacts, not a manhole-cover marker.

That's your opinion; I like to see my mark clearly when I'm looking over a long putt from near the hole.. I love how worked up the anti-chip crowd gets. Unreal. I play with guys who use them all the time, couldn't care less.

Not my opinion...people HAVE managed to stay out of each other lines without the use of gigantic markers. There’s a reason you don’t see anyone on any major Tour using one. They’re a nuisance.

Not my opinion...people HAVE managed to stay out of each other lines without the use of gigantic markers. There’s a reason you don’t see anyone on any major Tour using one. They’re a nuisance.

I've seen tour guys use them, in a major.

Every golf pro shop I've ever been in sells them at the counter.

It's a normal golf item. It's not a big deal.

If it's in the other guy's way you just move it, same as you would a tee, penny, or ball.

I've seen tour guys use them, in a major.

Every golf pro shop I've ever been in sells them at the counter.

It's a normal golf item. It's not a big deal.

If it's in the other guy's way you just move it, same as you would a tee, penny, or ball.

Please feel free to let me know who and where this happened. Thanks!

I saw it in this years British open on tv, I don't know who it was. But the guy below also uses it.

I'm not saying it's the preferred method on tour, but I don't think it's wrong or annoying for anyone to use one, it's pretty commonplace. If you leave it in someones line than that is inconsiderate, but so would leaving your tee, quarter, or ball. It's a heck of lot less annoying than the frat boys bumping post Malone 2 holes away, now that's something to get pissed about.

That’s absurd. People managed to stay out of each other’s lines for the previous 250 years before poker chips came around. Also, if you can’t see a quarter, you need glasses/contacts, not a manhole-cover marker.

That's your opinion; I like to see my mark clearly when I'm looking over a long putt from near the hole.. I love how worked up the anti-chip crowd gets. Unreal. I play with guys who use them all the time, couldn't care less.

Your use of the word absurd is what I was referencing. Of course people stay out of each others way; if a marker is in your way just ask for it to be moved. Why would it matter if it were a penny, quarter, or chip? I have a buddy who plays web.com and uses one. Not sure if that's up to your standard but they are pretty common.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I used to use pogs but now I use slammers

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

What if I used a marker that flashed or made sounds? I guess the answer would be, no big deal, if it bothers you, just ask me to turn off the flashing or the sound? Is that different because it's objectively distracting versus a poker chip which only may be distracting to some?

I just don't get it. Is it because people enjoy the game more by using a poker chip? Just use a small flat marker and there's no issue. If one of my playing partners uses a small flat marker (the one with a peg), and asks me if it's in my line, I ask if it's flat, he says yes, and I tell him to leave it where it is and I putt. And then he doesnt need to ask me again for the rest of the round. No issues.

Big difference is that in general the tour players actually pay attention to each other's line of play. Even a poker chip is often not big enough for club players to notice and avoid stepping on a line.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I had to look at that a few times. I was thinking, "What's that thing with the red line through it on the green???"

Another players answer to poker chips. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

What if I used a marker that flashed or made sounds? I guess the answer would be, no big deal, if it bothers you, just ask me to turn off the flashing or the sound? Is that different because it's objectively distracting versus a poker chip which only may be distracting to some?

I just don't get it. Is it because people enjoy the game more by using a poker chip? Just use a small flat marker and there's no issue. If one of my playing partners uses a small flat marker (the one with a peg), and asks me if it's in my line, I ask if it's flat, he says yes, and I tell him to leave it where it is and I putt. And then he doesnt need to ask me again for the rest of the round. No issues.

Did it dawn on you that you've actually compared a poker chip to something that flashes or makes noises? Most people I know use a quarter. Is a poker chip that much bigger than a quarter when you compare it to the size of the green? The point isn't moving a poker chip. The point is somebody who needs it moved 6 club lengths for no other real reason than they're a jerk. The old man who replaced somebody's chip with a penny was being a jerk.

Did it dawn on you that you've actually compared a poker chip to something that flashes or makes noises? Most people I know use a quarter. Is a poker chip that much bigger than a quarter when you compare it to the size of the green? The point isn't moving a poker chip. The point is somebody who needs it moved 6 club lengths for no other real reason than they're a jerk. The old man who replaced somebody's chip with a penny was being a jerk.

Fair point. Although I will say that I don't think a ball should be marked with a quarter either. The flat ones with the pegs that they give away at the pro shop of a lot of courses work perfectly, aren't distracting and I don't think they deflect a ball offline if rolled over (although I realize that some people may think otherwise).

No just easily annoyed.

Then distracted by being annoyed, maybe.

There's one irascible old coot in our weekend group who doesn't much care for the poker chip thing (among many others). A new guy maybe 30 years old joined us one Saturday and had the really big, thick poker chip. The kind so big I can't imagine anyone would use them in an actual poker game.

Plops it down on the first green more or less vaguely in irascible old coot's line. The old guy walked over, replaced the "poker chip" with a penny, tossed it to the young guy and said, "You can keep the penny, I've got a pocket full".

I wonder if Tom Weiskopf would have an opinion on the matter.

https://www.washingt...m=.f4cfea827d1e

https://www.golfdige...ay-marking-ball

I mark mine with my beer koozie, yea c'mon!!

Southside Steve, is that you?

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 1 month later...

The poker chip as a ball mark is stupid. I don't have any problem asking guys to replace their inappropriately gigantic mark with something more appropriate. But I don't get worked up over it. It is their problem, not mine.

Stupid? Appropriate? It's appears you ARE worked up about it.

I can mark the ball with anything I please. As a courtesy, inside of five feet, I'll use a coin, otherwise I like a poker chip style marker.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

The poker chip as a ball mark is stupid. I don't have any problem asking guys to replace their inappropriately gigantic mark with something more appropriate. But I don't get worked up over it. It is their problem, not mine.

I can mark the ball with anything I please. As a courtesy, inside of five feet, I'll use a coin, otherwise I like a poker chip style marker.

Why does courtesy only start at 5 feet?

Why does courtesy only start at 5 feet?

Clever. Because that's where I decided it starts, and I want to piss people off to get inside their head.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter