2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Whats the deal with poker chips?

And just so people can stop clamoring g on about how poker chips equal lack of etiquette, this is straight from the etiquette section with regards to the putting green.

On the Putting Green

On the putting green, players should not stand on another player's line of putt or, when he is making a stroke, cast a shadow over his line of putt.

Players should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.

Not a single mention of obliging stupid requests with regards to replacing a ball marker because it is distracting simply by it's presence on the green, though not in the line of putt.

Can't believe this hasn't been locked up yet, but it's not, so I'll bite:

I don't care what you mark with, as long as it's not in MY intended line or visually distracting to me. Where I can see this becoming a problem is if I have a putt, you as an opponent have NO IDEA where I'm aiming and what speed I'm hitting it, so if I ask you to replace it with something better suited or move it 4 club lengths to the left so I don't even have to think about it, are you offended?

And after me asking 3 holes in row for you to move it 4 club lengths left or right, wouldn't you get the point that I find it distracting and switch to something else (even ask for a coin)? Isn't that what etiquette is all about - making the people you are with more comfortable? Or are you not concerned so much with etiquette so much as having the right to do whatever you feel like?

I agree the old codger shouldn't have just replaced the guy's chip with a coin and made a snide remark, but it doesn't need to lead to hurt feelings. If you need the chip, for whatever reason, just accept the fact that you got your way by being allowed to use it, but I'm getting mine by having you move it every single hole - seems like a simple solution?

If you need me to move it 4 club lengths, it wasn't in your line in the first place, so it goes back where it originally was. So, there wouldn't be 3 holes of me moving it 4 club lengths away.

If you ask me to move it 4 clubheads to the right, than 1 clubhead to the left would be sufficient, so that's where it would go.

We're all golfers, we can see breaks and we all know how to putt, or we wouldn't be playing a match.

How exactly do YOU know what MY intended line is and what speed I'M intending to play it? Maybe I think there's more break than you read? True, we're all golfers, but every person's perceptions of break/speed are different. Now if you wanted to complain about me asking you to move it because it's no where near where I should be aiming, that might be a breach of Rule 8-2.b in and of itself because you're now offering advice to a fellow competitor while my ball is on the green?

Also, CPG doesn't go with Chips, so that's good enough for me:

Over the remaining 51 weeks we will cover:

• Mastering the 5 Plane Swing
  • The importance of iron covers
  • Putting shmutting, let’s learn the 2-iron stinger
  • No, ‘that guy’ you know won’t make the Senior Tour. And here’s why.
  • My Stack and Jilt™ Chipping Method
  • The beverage cart girl. How far can you push the envelope?
  • Gambling negotiation 101 – How to win bets on the 1st tee.
  • So you want to mark your ball with a poker chip?
  • Varying your Pre-Shot Routine based on level of nervousness
  • Handicap Maintenance: When and IF to post a score
  • The proper way to ask if a 5 footer is ‘good’
  • The truth about white belts
  • Mastering the sideways punch-out
  • Are you cool enough to wear a flat billed cap? (Hint: no)
  • The art of choosing a member/guest partner

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

We mark for someone else quite often within our regular group. If you're already at the green and someone is hitting from a fair distance and their ball ends up needing marked it makes perfect sense to mark it for them. Then while they're walking or riding towards the green the other person can be putting. It's just another small thing that helps with pace.

But, like NB said, that is within our regular group. Playing with someone new I wouldn't do it without asking.

Hmmm. I’ve probably done this before for a stranger paired with me. Without asking first. And I’m certain the reaction after he got to the green and I returned his ball and he replaced it was: “thanks!”

And just so people can stop clamoring g on about how poker chips equal lack of etiquette, this is straight from the etiquette section with regards to the putting green.

On the Putting Green

On the putting green, players should not stand on another player's line of putt or, when he is making a stroke, cast a shadow over his line of putt.

Players should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.

Not a single mention of obliging stupid requests with regards to replacing a ball marker because it is distracting simply by it's presence on the green, though not in the line of putt.

Can't believe this hasn't been locked up yet, but it's not, so I'll bite:

I don't care what you mark with, as long as it's not in MY intended line or visually distracting to me. Where I can see this becoming a problem is if I have a putt, you as an opponent have NO IDEA where I'm aiming and what speed I'm hitting it, so if I ask you to replace it with something better suited or move it 4 club lengths to the left so I don't even have to think about it, are you offended?

And after me asking 3 holes in row for you to move it 4 club lengths left or right, wouldn't you get the point that I find it distracting and switch to something else (even ask for a coin)? Isn't that what etiquette is all about - making the people you are with more comfortable? Or are you not concerned so much with etiquette so much as having the right to do whatever you feel like?

I agree the old codger shouldn't have just replaced the guy's chip with a coin and made a snide remark, but it doesn't need to lead to hurt feelings. If you need the chip, for whatever reason, just accept the fact that you got your way by being allowed to use it, but I'm getting mine by having you move it every single hole - seems like a simple solution?

If you need me to move it 4 club lengths, it wasn't in your line in the first place, so it goes back where it originally was. So, there wouldn't be 3 holes of me moving it 4 club lengths away.

If you ask me to move it 4 clubheads to the right, than 1 clubhead to the left would be sufficient, so that's where it would go.

We're all golfers, we can see breaks and we all know how to putt, or we wouldn't be playing a match.

How exactly do YOU know what MY intended line is and what speed I'M intending to play it? Maybe I think there's more break than you read? True, we're all golfers, but every person's perceptions of break/speed are different. Now if you wanted to complain about me asking you to move it because it's no where near where I should be aiming, that might be a breach of Rule 8-2.b in and of itself because you're now offering advice to a fellow competitor while my ball is on the green?

Also, CPG doesn't go with Chips, so that's good enough for me:

Over the remaining 51 weeks we will cover:

• Mastering the 5 Plane Swing
  • The importance of iron covers
  • Putting shmutting, let’s learn the 2-iron stinger
  • No, ‘that guy’ you know won’t make the Senior Tour. And here’s why.
  • My Stack and Jilt™ Chipping Method
  • The beverage cart girl. How far can you push the envelope?
  • Gambling negotiation 101 – How to win bets on the 1st tee.
  • So you want to mark your ball with a poker chip?
  • Varying your Pre-Shot Routine based on level of nervousness
  • Handicap Maintenance: When and IF to post a score
  • The proper way to ask if a 5 footer is ‘good’
  • The truth about white belts
  • Mastering the sideways punch-out
  • Are you cool enough to wear a flat billed cap? (Hint: no)
  • The art of choosing a member/guest partner

You can go on your tangent and be distracted all you want, if we ever play a round together, just know I’m not moving my marker 4 club lengths anywhere. That is ridiculous. As I said, if you ask me to move it 4 club lengths, it wasn’t in your way in the first place.

I have no idea what CPG is, and I’m not certain I really care to be honest.

someone please start up a blades vs CB thread

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

If someone finds a poker chip distracting, who are you to say that it's not? A guy in my group has rabbit ears. You can't make a peep when he goes through his pre shot routine (even before he addresses the ball). So under the reasoning of this thread, I'm supposed to tell him that he's being ridiculous and I'm going to talk if I want to?

I guess I just don't get it. I hear the arguments in favor of poker chips -- easy to get out of your pocket, easy to see on the green, or just f/u I'll do what I want. But in the end, if it's bugging someone because it's distracting or if you continually have to move it over a few clubheads because it's so big or not so flat, why persist? Because you're going to do what you want and no one is going to tell you otherwise?

Just use one of the little flat ones with the peg on the backside that lies flush with the ground.

If someone finds a poker chip distracting, who are you to say that it's not? A guy in my group has rabbit ears. You can't make a peep when he goes through his pre shot routine (even before he addresses the ball). So under the reasoning of this thread, I'm supposed to tell him that he's being ridiculous and I'm going to talk if I want to?

I guess I just don't get it. I hear the arguments in favor of poker chips -- easy to get out of your pocket, easy to see on the green, or just f/u I'll do what I want. But in the end, if it's bugging someone because it's distracting or if you continually have to move it over a few clubheads because it's so big or not so flat, why persist? Because you're going to do what you want and no one is going to tell you otherwise?

Just use one of the little flat ones with the peg on the backside that lies flush with the ground.

I agree, but someone with rabbit ears or who gets easily distracted will also make you move your flush marker if it's in their line, or close to it, as well. So the net result is most likely the same.

Personally, these things make no difference to me. What I find more annoying is everyone marking and cleaning their ball even when it's not close to anyone's line. The idea behind being able to mark your ball was to prevent stymies...not to add 15 minutes to your round.

I'll respect people like that (rabbit ears guy, or poker chip distracted) guy.........up to a point. But when their idiosyncrasies get to the ridiculous point, like both the examples in here I won't be quite so worried about upsetting them.

I'm as courteous a player as anyone else, but there are limits. There are players out there who have all kinds of special "rules" for what you can and cannot do when you play with them. I'm not going to spend my round "walking on eggshells" because someone else has issues.

I'll respect people like that (rabbit ears guy, or poker chip distracted) guy.........up to a point. But when their idiosyncrasies get to the ridiculous point, like both the examples in here I won't be quite so worried about upsetting them.

I'm as courteous a player as anyone else, but there are limits. There are players out there who have all kinds of special "rules" for what you can and cannot do when you play with them. I'm not going to spend my round "walking on eggshells" because someone else has issues.

Oh I get that, the rabbit ears thing gets old REALLY fast. I mean, guys talking on the next fairway over, a worker taking care of some bushes in an area adjacent to the tee, etc. It sometimes makes me want to go off and play by myself. I mean, we're all mid single digit handicaps, but we're just not that good that stuff like that should make a difference.

And the thing that really gets me is that if someone does make a noise, and the person backs off, regroups, and still hits a bad shot, somehow that's still the noisemakers fault. Walking on eggshells is the perfect way to describe it.

Oh I get that, the rabbit ears thing gets old REALLY fast. I mean, guys talking on the next fairway over, a worker taking care of some bushes in an area adjacent to the tee, etc. It sometimes makes me want to go off and play by myself. I mean, we're all mid single digit handicaps, but we're just not that good that stuff like that should make a difference.

And the thing that really gets me is that if someone does make a noise, and the person backs off, regroups, and still hits a bad shot, somehow that's still the noisemakers fault. Walking on eggshells is the perfect way to describe it.

Those types take a lot of fun out of the game. You're constantly worried you'll do something that will upset them. Everything becomes about them.

i would seriously like to know how many times a round someone's ball marker is in their line that this is even a debate. It happens with any group i play with maybe a couple times a round so i fail to see how this is a problem... unless your one of those guys that has to mark everything outside of two feet instead of just tapping in to finish up. thats the only way i would see it as a problem. Usually when a mark is in the proximity of anyones line, all i ever care about is if they ask if it needs to be moved or if its my mark, i will ask if it needs to be moved... simple as that.

Pro V1 

i would seriously like to know how many times a round someone's ball marker is in their line that this is even a debate.

I believe there were three requests to move marks out of line today in my round (four players). That is probably slightly more than average for groups I play in.

I believe there were three requests to move marks out of line today in my round (four players). That is probably slightly more than average for groups I play in.

Wow how did you guys manage all of that? Good on you man!

Pro V1 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, but someone with rabbit ears or who gets easily distracted will also make you move your flush marker if it's in their line, or close to it, as well. So the net result is most likely the same.

Personally, these things make no difference to me. What I find more annoying is everyone marking and cleaning their ball even when it's not close to anyone's line. The idea behind being able to mark your ball was to prevent stymies...not to add 15 minutes to your round.

So when we hit our approach shot to the green we should only get to clean it if it's in someone's line??

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

And if you think about it, if someone is THAT good, then those things should bother them even less.

I think I'm surprised this thread made it to eight pages. The initial rant sounds like an old fart that doesn't like change. Some of the other comments on the first page sound like old farts that don't like change. I can mark my ball with a condom wrapper (gold Magnum), bullet shell case, or fishing bate if I wanted. If the guy who's line I'm in says it's in the way, then I'll look to downsize the marker or move it. What's the big deal? Also, the reason I hate using things like pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters is that they can not be easily seen when someone is just walking on a green. A poker chip, or something of similar size, is more easily detected, so the chances of someone accidentally walking in your line (and potentially messing up your line) is smaller if your playing partners can actually SEE your marker.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I think I'm surprised this thread made it to eight pages. The initial rant sounds like an old fart that doesn't like change. Some of the other comments on the first page sound like old farts that don't like change. I can mark my ball with a condom wrapper (gold Magnum), bullet shell case, or fishing bate if I wanted. If the guy who's line I'm in says it's in the way, then I'll look to downsize the marker or move it. What's the big deal? Also, the reason I hate using things like pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters is that they can not be easily seen when someone is just walking on a green. A poker chip, or something of similar size, is more easily detected, so the chances of someone accidentally walking in your line (and potentially messing up your line) is smaller if your playing partners can actually SEE your marker.

Only an old fart wouldn’t be able to see a quarter. ;-)

No just easily annoyed.

Then distracted by being annoyed, maybe.

There's one irascible old coot in our weekend group who doesn't much care for the poker chip thing (among many others). A new guy maybe 30 years old joined us one Saturday and had the really big, thick poker chip. The kind so big I can't imagine anyone would use them in an actual poker game.

Plops it down on the first green more or less vaguely in irascible old coot's line. The old guy walked over, replaced the "poker chip" with a penny, tossed it to the young guy and said, "You can keep the penny, I've got a pocket full".

I wouldn’t be happy with that type of attitude. Old or not, no other player should be touching someone else’s marker. It’s not too difficult to ask them to replace the marker because it may be too distracting. Not trying to sound like a tough guy, but if someone replaced my marker in that manner; I would just replace that penny with my original marker. I could do that all day. Hahaha

Couldn't help but read the thread title in Seinfeld's voice.

Made the thread so much better hahahaha. Thanks!!

Good lord people.

I have carry both a challenge coin and small marker. If it's not in anyone's line, or i leave myself a long putt I'll use the larger marker. I do this so I have a clear view of my line. My eyes suck. If it's in or near someone's line use a smaller marker.

Pretentious d-bags need to relax

Isn’t it much more pretentious to assume that everyone is interested in seeing your gigantic ball marker, that is for a completely different hobby?

Good lord people.

I have carry both a challenge coin and small marker. If it's not in anyone's line, or i leave myself a long putt I'll use the larger marker. I do this so I have a clear view of my line. My eyes suck. If it's in or near someone's line use a smaller marker.

Isn't it much more pretentious to assume that everyone is interested in seeing your gigantic ball marker, that is for a completely different hobby?

No actually, it isn't. I want people to be aware of my ball marker so they don't step in my line. I also want to be able to see it.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Good lord people.

Isn't it much more pretentious to assume that everyone is interested in seeing your gigantic ball marker, that is for a completely different hobby?

No actually, it isn't. I want people to be aware of my ball marker so they don't step in my line. I also want to be able to see it.

That’s absurd. People managed to stay out of each other’s lines for the previous 250 years before poker chips came around. Also, if you can’t see a quarter, you need glasses/contacts, not a manhole-cover marker.

Good lord people.

That’s absurd. People managed to stay out of each other’s lines for the previous 250 years before poker chips came around. Also, if you can’t see a quarter, you need glasses/contacts, not a manhole-cover marker.

That's your opinion; I like to see my mark clearly when I'm looking over a long putt from near the hole.. I love how worked up the anti-chip crowd gets. Unreal. I play with guys who use them all the time, couldn't care less.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Everyone should have to use the little plastic markers that stick in the gound

That way if you hit it your ball will run right over it

Everyone is using these giant thick poker chips that take up as much room and will stop your ball just like a ball would

so why even mark your ball if you are going to do that?

I was given one - in fact several - from my golfing group maybe 15 years ago. Why? B/c when I started playing golf I had a terrible time remembering where I marked my ball - and couldn't see other people's markers and would take too long, and walk over other people's lines. I was an idiot. So as a gag - one day they all had large markers - and a buddy even had a hubcap. :)

I got the message pretty fast to start FPA - but I kept the large marker anyways.

It rarely is a problem where I'm in anyone's line. Very very rarely.

Only an old fart wouldn’t be able to see a quarter. ;-)

Touche’

LOL!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour