2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

But thats my point. Our guys try the driver wedge game on tour but it's not how they learned their trade. Which is why we have that set up.

But it has nothing to do with the courses they play on. Pacific Northwest treelined/wet rough... bomb it, North East traditional courses with trees and interesting contours and doglegs... bomb it, Florida waterpark... bomb it, Southwest desert courses... bomb it, and on it goes.

It simply doesn't matter a lick.

You dont think it does. I think it does. Thats life.

Awesome. This neatly sums up why everyone is challenging you on your point: you lack a cohesive argument, don't actually know what you are talking about, and have no way of backing it up with a single shred of evidence.

And then all you are left with - after bemoaning other's intelligence and civility is: I know you are but what am I.

Good luck anyone else, but I'm out, it's just too much of a bore now.

Its obviously hard for you when people disagree. I hope it gets easier for you. Maybe when youre a grown up.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course however things end up tomorrow - the Ryder Cup has whet our appetite for more international stuff and we're all totally psyched and clearing our calendars to watch as much whatever that LPGA thing is that's on next week, that NBC keeps banging on about?! Heck maybe Canada is in that!

Edit: There is most definitely not a Canadian team in it so it seems.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ever think that the Euros are way underrated? And I mean way way underrated. Look at the way Francesco and Tommy F played this year. JR is #1. Rory still has game. Henrik Stenson is still a stud. Ian Poulter is a Ryder Cup boogeyman and has played well this year.

Their weaker links aren't nearly as weak as our wet noodle soft as Charmin guys. Lol

They are fortunate that there are only 12 guys on each team. If we're talking Top 100 from each Tour, it's not close.

We have the best statistics and data in the history of the game,

And we couldn’t find picks who could hit fairways and greens?

This would call for a major overhaul of the system used to select the players. You could, given today's computing power and use of stats, feed the course to be played and all the players into a computer and have an algo kick out the list of players the stat model believes best suited.

I suspect the team selected would create a complete meltdown by the PGA Tour of America and all of those associated with the Ryder Cup. God forbid the system fails out of the gate. There would be blood in the streets.

Ever think that the Euros are way underrated? And I mean way way underrated. Look at the way Francesco and Tommy F played this year. JR is #1. Rory still has game. Henrik Stenson is still a stud. Ian Poulter is a Ryder Cup boogeyman and has played well this year.

Their weaker links aren't nearly as weak as our wet noodle soft as Charmin guys. Lol

They are fortunate that there are only 12 guys on each team. If we're talking Top 100 from each Tour, it's not close.

But we're not, since there are only 12 guys on each team.

They'd have to start really really early to fit all the Sunday singles matches in otherwise.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I have the solution: instead of the top pga tour players throw in the top web.com players. Bet they would be hingey and not as pressured as would be obvious underdawgs. Only when we play in Europe. Genius or crazy?

:fie: ..... :dntknw: okay it's past your bedtime .... nite .... nite :wave:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Does anyone else think YJS should have sucked it up and played with Cap America? [for the good of the team]

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It seemed completely predictable that Phil would play poorly this week. Total waste of a captains pick. I wish we could get past picking guys purely on name or stature.

Really hope we’ve seen the last of tiger and Phil in the Ryder cup. They’ve proven time and time again that they just don’t perform well in this format. Tiger particularly with his health situation needs to just take this week off going forward.

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

I think I am getting lost here. You're saying the European players learned on woodland courses where you had to bze straight?

Maybe he means tree lined courses like St. Andrews.

We have other courses.

You certainly do, which is exactly the point.

Europe is a huge land mass with diverse landscapes, resulting in a wide range of golf courses.

Likewise, the U.S. is a huge land mass with diverse landscapes, resulting in a wide range of golf courses.

So your thesis/broad generalization i.e. that European players advantageously learned to play on wood lined courses, whereas U.S. players somehow never encountered such courses - simply defies logic.

That's why you've gotten so much pushback.

No one was going to beat molly and baby Jesus this weekend. ANyone playing them were unlucky.

Actually, just matching cards (and I know it doesn't work that way) Spieth/Thomas would have been 2 up through 15 on Moliwood this morning in fourballs, and only 1 down through 14 in foursomes (and Spieth/Thomas birdied 15). It's about who you play. Tiger and partners have been lousy.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

It seemed completely predictable that Phil would play poorly this week. Total waste of a captains pick. I wish we could get past picking guys purely on name or stature.

Really hope we've seen the last of tiger and Phil in the Ryder cup. They've proven time and time again that they just don't perform well in this format. Tiger particularly with his health situation needs to just take this week off going forward.

i don't think not picking tiger is the right way. he's a terrible partner but he's been solid in singles so keep him out til sunday.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

tiger wishes he was in florida this week chillin after his big win....disintetested imo.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Got a thought here.. the USA team likes playing golf with each other...the boy band gang and all. But the euro players LOVE beating Americans. They absolutely thrive on that thrill alone.

As much as some may not want to admit it, that is the biggest difference in this event. Everything else adds a little or subtracts a little. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU players collectively over the years feels like the US players don't necessarily respect their game (whether true or not) with the exception of a couple of guys and they take great pleasure in this event.

Exactly. I believe, as I think you do, that the European players get in that room, look at each other and say: F.. them

And Poulter has the sack to back it up...and they love him for that, and want to follow his lead. There’s a reason why Poulter worked his butt off to get on this team; and All of Europe wanted him back again.

Can’t wait to see what type of captain he becomes.

The Thomas, Spieth, Flower, Koepka gang need to belly up and hate them back.

Nah, when youre the player of Tigers ilk and legend after a while the pattern is who you are and its 99% on you.if youre so far above the competition 362 days a year ( were talking prime tiger) and you suddenly forget how to play for 3 days over and over its very telling. I wanted him to ride off into the sunset and expected a little more as hes a new guy now with a better attitude. but..

tenor.gif

Except this isn't prime Tiger. We all know that. Fleetwood and Molinari are both in good form. You expected him to beat those guys by himself? I don't expect that out of him these days. Reed literally put 80+ on the board this morning with his own ball.

Now your criticism about him in his prime is fair enough. Even with crap partners, a guy that wins majors by 15 shots could at least win a four-ball match by himself. Alternate shot is a different story.

the bolded is the problem and the delusion youre pushing. Reed was crap off the tee yet tiger never clubbed down to find fairways when reed was in trouble. Reed shot 80 tiger shot 76-77 at least. Tiger has done absolutely nothing well in 2 days. i expected a better attitude from him and making some clutch putts for momentum like this mattered. molinari was dunking on him all day yesterday and today while tiger was lagging his putts. Poulter and molinari and fleetwood were bruising the back of the cup. So were speith and thomas. Thomas and speith showed fire making clutch putts. Is that too much to ask? With tiger current form i expected more

Very predicable for Tiger's game to come back in. Last week was the peak of 5 years of work. I expected him to have some what of a let down this week, but his partners have been pretty awful to compound things.

Lol Tiger didnt shoot 76 77

Tiger must really be back. Another losing Ryder Cup year...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Too soon, Mad.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Really hope we've seen the last of tiger and Phil in the Ryder cup. They've proven time and time again that they just don't perform well in this format. Tiger particularly with his health situation needs to just take this week off going forward.

I agree (wouldn't mind Tiger playing singles only), but could imagine the backlash if Tiger or Phil declined to play for any reason other than a current medical issue? It would be so much worse than them playing poorly. You'd be considered a non-patriotic traitor by the masses. I personally wouldn't mind an opt out option for what ever reason a player wasn't into it that year.

Ultimately I enjoy this event when the golf is good and close. Don't give 2 you know what's about who wins. Blowout on either side or crappy golf and it's a complete dud for me. I blame TV for over-hyping and over producing these type of sporting events. Really I blame TV for just about everything wrong with the world today :angry22:

We have the best statistics and data in the history of the game,

And we couldn’t find picks who could hit fairways and greens?

This would call for a major overhaul of the system used to select the players. You could, given today's computing power and use of stats, feed the course to be played and all the players into a computer and have an algo kick out the list of players the stat model believes best suited.

I suspect the team selected would create a complete meltdown by the PGA Tour of America and all of those associated with the Ryder Cup. God forbid the system fails out of the gate. There would be blood in the streets.

Haha.. what if such an algorithm spit out a bunch of John Cooks, who won the Bob Hope like 9 times with five round -26 tourney cards.. Hey, if that’s what it takes, I’m game. Gotta do something different..

Too soon, Mad.

I got the early call. Not even watching it and I know it is coming.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Got a thought here.. the USA team likes playing golf with each other...the boy band gang and all. But the euro players LOVE beating Americans. They absolutely thrive on that thrill alone.

As much as some may not want to admit it, that is the biggest difference in this event. Everything else adds a little or subtracts a little. I wouldn't be surprised if the EU players collectively over the years feels like the US players don't necessarily respect their game (whether true or not) with the exception of a couple of guys and they take great pleasure in this event.

Exactly. I believe, as I think you do, that the European players get in that room, look at each other and say: F.. them

And Poulter has the sack to back it up...and they love him for that, and want to follow his lead. There's a reason why Poulter worked his butt off to get on this team; and All of Europe wanted him back again.

Can't wait to see what type of captain he becomes.

The Thomas, Spieth, Flower, Koepka gang need to belly up and hate them back.

I concur. This ^^^ will probably never happen though. It's ok to feel that way towards us, but it doesn't play well going the other way. I'm sure some of them feel that way along with some in the US Golf Admin as well as some US media members, but they will never show it outwardly. Too risky. I'm talking strictly golf hate here not real life hate, but it's often hard tell with some of the EU side (Poults). The only thing that really bothers me about any of this is not who wins or any playful banter back and forth. It's some of the stuff that comes out of a guy like Poulty's mouth. You can tell that there is some genuine disdain there. Even then it wouldn't bother me at all except for the fact the he has no problem living here and supporting his lifestyle here. Comes off a bit hypocritical to me.

Where is Europe going to get their "definite" 4.5 points? :lol:

1. Molinari def Mickelson

2. Hatton def. Reed

3. Stenson def. Watson

4. Noren def. DeChambeau

5. Fleetwood A/S Finau

I think you can add Rose def. Simpson to that list.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

It will not be that easy for Europe to win The Ryder Cup . I know 4 1/2 points does not seem a lot but when it comes to singles this is when USA come into their own .

On another a subject I wonder if this could be the last Ryder Cup with any English players in it if Brexit goes through and England is not part of Europe anymore ?

Please God let USA win at least the first two matches tomorrow morning. If for no other reason than to make the competition more interesting for the rest of the day.

Agree if I get Up at 6, forgo a tee time , and watch a quick sweep I’ll be a pill all day. lol

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock