Taylormade M5 & M6 Woods - Pics added page 46

chadillac65

So basically you're looking at 800 dollars if you want one of the big boy shafts (GD, Tensei Pro etc.).

Which is about the same price you'll be looking at for those shafts in any of the top driver brands (Titleist, Callaway, TaylorMade, PING), right?

From what I’ve seen with Tensei PO:

Cobra 700

Srixon 650

Titleist 750

PXG Gen 2 should be between 700 and 750

So definitely on the expensive side.

Just read the Mizuno 2019 woods release:

ST190: $400

Shafts: Mizuno offers 26 (real deal) shafts without upcharge.

Then lets compare to TaylorMade:

M6 D-Type $500

Shafts: TaylorMade offers 1 shaft without upcharge: Project X EvenFlow Max Carry 45

So with TaylorMade for the extra $100 you get 25 less shaft options. :D

Would add a poop emoji here if it was available.

Guarantee you that's wrong regarding one shaft without an upcharge (likely one stock shaft offering for the model). Either way, if you're in the market for an M6 D-Type you've likely got much bigger fish to fry to fix your golf game than which driver shaft you're playing.

Anyway, I think hedgehog will go with a Ping SFT because he cannot look at the M6 anymore

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

M6 D-Type $500

Shafts: TaylorMade offers 1 shaft without upcharge: Project X EvenFlow Max Carry 45

One could also say that Mizuno has to throw the kitchen sink in just to drum up interest in their clubs, whereas TaylorMade doesn't.

Just saying that from the standpoint of a club retailer. I sell both Mizuno and now TaylorMade (adding them and dropping Callaway), and I like Mizuno. But their woods are a HAAAAARD sell to make. Even when people are fit into them and hit them far better than their current clubs, they will almost always still ask for a TaylorMade or Callaway or PING. Selling Mizuno woods is stupidly difficult.

It seems the customers are the stupid ones.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

After many custom orders from Taylormade's custom department, I would recommend that if you are considering ordering this way and paying full retail that you go to a reputable clubfitter and have them build you one instead. Quality control, swingweighting, head weighting, etc are just too unpredictable from Taylormade. The whole thing where they just automatically tip every shaft an inch just adds too much uncertainty to your order and if you're going to pay the full retail price, you might as well get exactly what you want/need.

I got fitted at club champion. Which I took advantage of the full bag for half price fitting around Christmas time. Back ground, I haven't golfed much in the last decade and my clubs are from the early 2000's. I'm now 35 and can afford the time and money to enjoy the sport more now. I couldn't justify buying a driver at full retail and then upcharge for shafts I can get direct from taylormade. Ordering from taylormade will get clubs that will be close to ideal for me but also saving $$$$. I can get the irons built to the same specs but probably not as exact as a premium clubfitter. I can get woods shafts that are in the ballpark for what I was fit to. I'm not sure the fitting would have me as dialed in anyways since I was quite rusty in the booth. After a couple years with them, I imagine I can justify doing another fitting and getting clubs dialed in more for me.

I know that Club Champion charges a lot for what they offer. It's by far easier to order direct through the OEM. In the past TM custom shop did not make swingweight adjustments. So if you are fit into clubs that are longer or shorter than standard the swingweights could be off. If you are fit for shafts that are counterbalanced, heavier, or lighter than the stock shafts you may end up with wonky swingweights as well. That bothers some people, it doesn't make any difference to others. Just wanted to make sure you knew. It would be a shame to buy brand new shiny irons and then have to put lead tape on them out of the gate. (My lie adjustments through the custom shop were all completed spot on.)

I was told by TM that they match the standard stock SW but won’t build to custom ones. So for example, if the M5 is D4 stock, they will maintain D4 if I order a shorter driver.

M6 D-Type $500

One could also say that Mizuno has to throw the kitchen sink in just to drum up interest in their clubs, whereas TaylorMade doesn't.

Just saying that from the standpoint of a club retailer. I sell both Mizuno and now TaylorMade (adding them and dropping Callaway), and I like Mizuno. But their woods are a HAAAAARD sell to make. Even when people are fit into them and hit them far better than their current clubs, they will almost always still ask for a TaylorMade or Callaway or PING. Selling Mizuno woods is stupidly difficult.

It seems the customers are the stupid ones.

Regardless, consumers have basic tendencies, and marketing firms have more or less made a science out of exploiting these tendencies. It's no coincidence that the best selling companies/products year in, year out (talking golf here, but very applicable to anything really) are the ones that spend the most/do the most advertising/marketing. The golfing public is very susceptible to thinking that whatever they see the Tour playing the most/best players playing the most, that it (product/brand) must be the best.

After many custom orders from Taylormade's custom department, I would recommend that if you are considering ordering this way and paying full retail that you go to a reputable clubfitter and have them build you one instead. Quality control, swingweighting, head weighting, etc are just too unpredictable from Taylormade. The whole thing where they just automatically tip every shaft an inch just adds too much uncertainty to your order and if you're going to pay the full retail price, you might as well get exactly what you want/need.

I got fitted at club champion. Which I took advantage of the full bag for half price fitting around Christmas time. Back ground, I haven't golfed much in the last decade and my clubs are from the early 2000's. I'm now 35 and can afford the time and money to enjoy the sport more now. I couldn't justify buying a driver at full retail and then upcharge for shafts I can get direct from taylormade. Ordering from taylormade will get clubs that will be close to ideal for me but also saving $$$$. I can get the irons built to the same specs but probably not as exact as a premium clubfitter. I can get woods shafts that are in the ballpark for what I was fit to. I'm not sure the fitting would have me as dialed in anyways since I was quite rusty in the booth. After a couple years with them, I imagine I can justify doing another fitting and getting clubs dialed in more for me.

I know that Club Champion charges a lot for what they offer. It's by far easier to order direct through the OEM. In the past TM custom shop did not make swingweight adjustments. So if you are fit into clubs that are longer or shorter than standard the swingweights could be off. If you are fit for shafts that are counterbalanced, heavier, or lighter than the stock shafts you may end up with wonky swingweights as well. That bothers some people, it doesn't make any difference to others. Just wanted to make sure you knew. It would be a shame to buy brand new shiny irons and then have to put lead tape on them out of the gate. (My lie adjustments through the custom shop were all completed spot on.)

I was told by TM that they match the standard stock SW but won’t build to custom ones. So for example, if the M5 is D4 stock, they will maintain D4 if I order a shorter driver.

Fewer and fewer companies will build nonstandard lengths at custom swingweights anymore. Callaway doesn't either, at least they didn't up through the Rogue line (I have not ordered any Flashes to see if that's changed). The only one that will build to custom swingweights, within reason, is PING now. They will almost always hit a specified swingweight.

Agreed. That is stupid, they are building it to D4, they could easily build it to other specified weights...callaway pushed me away last year because they would not hit an easy request of D2....ping is the best at it...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Fewer and fewer companies will build nonstandard lengths at custom swingweights anymore. Callaway doesn't either, at least they didn't up through the Rogue line (I have not ordered any Flashes to see if that's changed). The only one that will build to custom swingweights, within reason, is PING now. They will almost always hit a specified swingweight.

And loft

I’m basically going to take my current shaft out of my M3 tour and put it in the M5 tour. I’m not interested in trying other shafts as I know what works with my swing and I’ve gone through the club champion fitting too many times and the results are the same for drivers. Oban Devotion 7 stuff 75 gram for me at 45.25”

What is the best possible no up charge shaft for a fairway wood based on the list above?

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I have to wonder what to will do if I ordered a 435 tour with a PO 60tx? And cut down a half inch. Add a 3rd weight?

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

It is possible that this is the case for woods. They would not swingweight irons to match stock SW last season. I purchased p790s -1/2" with Modus 105 Stiff. They came in at c6. I was told through multiple channels that this was standard practice and that they would not swingweight them. Sorry to get off track.

Back to your normally scheduled broadcast about what the bottom of the m6 looks like and why they upcharge for higher end shafts.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

@Taylormade. Thanks! Do you know which shafts will be available in 80g options? I know the Pro 2.0 TS is available now. Is it going to still be offered? Are the going to be new ones added? Will the smoke be available in 80?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

$250 upcharge for the PO? Come on TM...

Pretty standard my friend.

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I have to wonder what to will do if I ordered a 435 tour with a PO 60tx? And cut down a half inch. Add a 3rd weight?
I had three weights in my M3 and will most like have three in my M5. Play @ 44.5"

Not sure about my M5 14* Rocket, which will be 42"... -1.25".

Not using hotmelt nor lead tape...may place a large, flat lead weight under the existing 65g weight.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

PXG, according to spygolf, will have max upcharge of $125!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

How is this out of line with anyone else? About the same upcharge cost with Titleist, and the Pro Orange is actually more than that as an upcharge on the Cally Flash...$250 is the WHOLESALE upcharge there, meaning there's going to be more added on top of that.

It’s way out of line compared to the new PXG offering. $125 upcharge..

How is this out of line with anyone else? About the same upcharge cost with Titleist, and the Pro Orange is actually more than that as an upcharge on the Cally Flash...$250 is the WHOLESALE upcharge there, meaning there's going to be more added on top of that.

It’s way out of line versus the new PXG offering. $125 upcharge..

Gotcha. I just don't view PXG as a competitor to TM or Callaway when it comes to drivers, and I don't think they (PXG) will sell a 1/10 of the units that either of those companies will. It's just not a company the average golfer looks for. I'm just speaking in terms of companies that are most commonly viewed as the top (in terms of numbers of units sold) manufacturers.

Gotcha. I just don't view PXG as a competitor to TM or Callaway when it comes to drivers, and I don't think they (PXG) will sell a 1/10 of the units that either of those companies will. It's just not a company the average golfer looks for. I'm just speaking in terms of companies that are most commonly viewed as the top (in terms of numbers of units sold) manufacturers.

It’s just crazy that a smaller company like a PXG can offer this shaft at a more reasonable cost then the big boys.

Back to topic: Any review of the M5 fwys yet?

It's way out of line versus the new PXG offering. $125 upcharge..

It's just crazy that a smaller company like a PXG can offer this shaft at a more reasonable cost then the big boys.

Back to topic: Any review of the M5 fwys yet?

I understand. I've been in the business a while, and none of that surprises me anymore. Could mean a multitude of things...maybe PXG has much more margin in the overall price of the club (i.e, the head is much cheaper to make) than other companies...maybe PXG bought more of them (Pro Orange) upfront and got a lower overall cost on the shaft...maybe PXG is just using statistics and cost averaging all their upcharge shafts, planning on not that many Pro Oranges and equivalents to actually be ordered. Sooo many things can factor into it that it's not worth worrying about overall (for the companies), as that's honestly not a shaft that very many golfers (relative to the overall number of golfers) know about, or would even fit into.

Imo pxg releasing the new driver at $575 grabs a share of the market this year. The one thing that will hurt them a bit from grabbing a big share is they aren’t in every store

It's way out of line versus the new PXG offering. $125 upcharge..

Imo pxg releasing the new driver at $575 grabs a share of the market this year. The one thing that will hurt them a bit from grabbing a big share is they aren't in every store

Yeah, until if/when PXG expands their retail presence, I don't see them really taking much away from the market leaders. Where I'm located, outside edges of metro Atlanta golf market (pretty large golf market), there are still plenty of golfers that don't even know of PXG.

Titleist as well - Over the past 3-4 years I've ordered custom swing weights on Drivers, 3 woods, and irons. Standard length on woods but non-standard length on irons. Every one has been spot on the requested swing weight.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Yeah it’s kind of a doubles edged sword for them. I get the approach of staying out if big box stores and keeping it to green grass and big fitters but I think what it does do like the pxg for heroes program has so exus get those who wanted the brand in past but couldnt afford it go find the places that carry them or go on their website to find a fitting location.